Convert 110 V(US standard) equipment to 220V(Indian standard) without transformer !

Re: Convert 110 V(US standard) equipment to 220V(Indian standard) without transformer

Since most of this is on AVR , thinking of moving it to the AVR section and making it a STICKY, what do you guys think? Members might miss reading this in AV lounge

Re: Convert 110 V(US standard) equipment to 220V(Indian standard) without transformer

Since most of this is on AVR , thinking of moving it to the AVR section and making it a STICKY, what do you guys think?

I fully endorse, especially making this thread Sticky.

+1 for making the thread sticky.

Can anyone confirm if they were able to convert Yamaha RX V665 or V675 to 220V from 110V? If yes kindly help as I am getting my V675 from US and need to convert it to run on 220V.

For the benefit of others.

Spoke to Mr. Alex from Thomson House (Indira Nagar, Bangalore) which is authorized service provider for Yamaha Hi-fi equipments. According to him RX-V675 and newer models come with integrated power board and transformer and to modify means we have to change the power board also and it might cost upward of 7 - 8K. Also it is best not to touch the internals and he suggests best way is to use external step down transformer.

Called Mr. Amit Shah from Maxine bangalore branch (maxineindia.com) and he is giving 1KVA (toroidal) step down transformer for 3.5k. Ordered one that he is going to deliver to home in couple of days. Will update once it comes regarding the build quality / heating up / sound etc.

Hoping this is the best decision. Experts please suggest?

Thanks,
Rajat

Rajat, do let us know about the Maxine transformer once you buy it...Had spoken to Amit earlier but instead went for a local delhi made transformer...would be willing to buy one from him if it is better....

thank u guys for this thread,
i just converted my BIC AMERICA 12" sub 110V TO 220V in 5 minutes.
without any hassles. and now its shaking my floor... ;-)

thanx again.

I JUST BOUGHT BIC AMERICA F12 from U.S it is 110v device
pls forward procedure how to change the jumpers, for converting 110v to 240n indian standard if possible pls give pics also.

JUST BOUGHT BIC AMERICA F12 from U.S it is 110v device
pls forward procedure how to change the jumpers, for converting 110v to 240n indian standard if possible pls give pics also

JUST BOUGHT BIC AMERICA F12 from U.S it is 110v device
pls forward procedure how to change the jumpers, for converting 110v to 240n indian standard if possible pls give pics also

check last 2 pages. you will find the procedure...

This is for ANTHEM owners -

Checked with Anthem on 110-220 conversion for Statement P5 & D2V 3D. They do not have conversion unit . Only option is to use step-down transformers which they have strongly discouraged to do for the Anthem Power Amps. The D2V 3D however will work with a step-down transformer.

I have bought a brand new Yamaha Aventage Receiver from USA and I stay in Mumbai. The model number is RX-A840.

When i bought it in US, i had tried starting the receiver and it used to work. The power specifications behind the receiver were mentioned as 400W.

Currently I am in Mumbai, India and I bought a 110 step down converter from a local electricals store and got it tested that it gives 110 as output. The step down converter is capable of handling 500W. The step down converter was tested to give output of 110V at the shop while buying.

Then I connected AV receiver to step down converter and was trying to start it, but it was not turning up. The pure direct button when pressed was showing blue light when button was pressed, but later on even that stopped working.

When I took it to the shop from where I bought the Step Down Converter (named: Maru, is a maharashtra based co.), he mentioned that there noise of relay coming from the AVR.

I replaced 500W step down with a 750W step down, even that did not work. Finally i have ordered 1 KV step down, which is my last resort.

Have anyone faced similar problem before, if yes please share how was it resolved.

I also contacted few service centers in mumbai, one of them mentioned that he can get the voltage converted to 220 for Rs. 3700/-. I am also concerned about the warranty, as I don't want to do any changes until 3 years of warranty is expired.

Appreciate if anyone can provide the solution to the problem.

Regards,
Manish Sachdev

I have bought a brand new Yamaha Aventage Receiver from USA and I stay in Mumbai. The model number is RX-A840.

When i bought it in US, i had tried starting the receiver and it used to work. The power specifications behind the receiver were mentioned as 400W.

Currently I am in Mumbai, India and I bought a 110 step down converter from a local electricals store and got it tested that it gives 110 as output. The step down converter is capable of handling 500W. The step down converter was tested to give output of 110V at the shop while buying.

Then I connected AV receiver to step down converter and was trying to start it, but it was not turning up. The pure direct button when pressed was showing blue light when button was pressed, but later on even that stopped working.

When I took it to the shop from where I bought the Step Down Converter (named: Maru, is a maharashtra based co.), he mentioned that there noise of relay coming from the AVR.

I replaced 500W step down with a 750W step down, even that did not work. Finally i have ordered 1 KV step down, which is my last resort.

Have anyone faced similar problem before, if yes please share how was it resolved.

I also contacted few service centers in mumbai, one of them mentioned that he can get the voltage converted to 220 for Rs. 3700/-. I am also concerned about the warranty, as I don't want to do any changes until 3 years of warranty is expired.

Regards,
Manish Sachdev

I found 3 Yamaha Service Centers in Mumbai.

1)
SAHAKAR ELECTRONICS
SHOP 1 & 2, GAGAN TARA, PESTOM SAGAR ROAD NO. 2, AMAR MAHAL, CHEMBUR, MUMBAI-400089

2)
Lazor Electronics
A-1 Silver Bell Society, S.B Marg, Near Saidev Hotel
Mumbai - 400069 Maharashtra

3)
Emission Electronics
76/612, Motilal Nagar No-1 Behind Post Office,Goregaon (W)
Mumbai - 400104 Maharashtra

Any suggestions or experiences, which one of them is the best?

Regards,
Manish Sachdev

AsI newly purchase bic america f12 sub The product received before 3-4 day.
I have converted this product from110v to 240v
and change the jumper from outer pair to inner pair and fix the back cover and put the power plug into the wall
socket. the backpanel led power glows to red.I connect the f12 sub to my denon AVR1910
with satellite 5.0 mission speakers. I played the music files with my panasonic BD Player sound coming from all the speakers
but not from subwoofer. I checked the receivers setting the subwoofer is on. i check the bic f12 backpanel the woofer led glows to green led
but no sound output. i also change the RCA cable and power cable but no change at all. What is the problem, is there any setting. after that i have pullout the f12 sub and connect my old mission MS8 subwoofer on the same cable and same setting it is giving sound and working perfectly.
Anybody knows, Is there any setting or i make a wrong connections pls help

Good news...I think its good news for people whose equipment is little old and they are ready to do the experimentation.

Dear sir
I purchase bic america f12 & converted 110v to 240v as per our BIC manual.
Now we have connected f12 sub + 5.0 satellite with my demon 1910 avr. After proper setting of 5.1 setup all speakers giving audio out but no audio out from f12 sub. We have checked Avr setting the sub is on. The f12 sub sensing audio signals & turns indicator from red to green. Back panel of f12 sub volume and toggle switch also adjusted but no audio out from f12 sub. Also checked rca & power cables. Everything is OK. Is there any setting pls help.
Now on the same Avr setting & on same cables we have connected my old sub iris perfectly working. Where is the prob....... Pls reply is there some setting or other method of connecting pls reply

Change Subwoofer mode/Bass Settings to 'LFE + Main'

Hi Manish,

I am also looking to get same Yamaha model from US. Were you able to resolve your problem and start the receiver?

Please share your experience.

Regards,
Akshat

Regards,
Manish Sachdev

I have just had a word with local Yamaha service provider. He says that they can modify the power supply of my AVR to work on 230V. Though he said it will cost me around 8K !!! I think I will be able to negotiate that part.

Personally I will prefer authorised service provider doing the modification rather than using 3rd party equipment. Not to mention another piece of hardware lying on the furniture.

Comments please.

For power supplies with SMPS type supplies , changing the Diode rating to 300v + helps .

We once had a stock of imported dell laser printers with 110v . My tech guy changed the diode and another part which I do not remember . The printers worked perfect .

Rewinding of the transformer can also be done in case of power amps , pre amps or replacement of the transformer can also be done . I would not try it on AVR though .

Hi, I also have a Rotel RMB 1066 amplifier that came from the U.S. and is set to 110V. I just wanted to confirm that all that is needed to convert to 220V is to move the two jumpers and change the fuse. The local dealers here do not seem competent and all are asking for crazy prices to convert. Any help you could provide would really be appreciated! Thank you.

Here we go, waking the sleeping dragon.

So I 'am planning to get a Denon X1600H/Yamaha A2A from USA and wanted to get the consensus from the forum on what the right approach would be. Is the conversion process involving the wiring change for the primaries or would I be better getting off getting an 1KVA isolation stepdown transformer.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back