designing up a home theatre

wavetingle

i want to setup a home theatre in a room of 20feet x 12feet
going to put there 4 recliners from recliners india...just one row. rest gonna put some bean bags and stuff...a small bar counter too:licklips:

primary use:80% movies and rest music

i want to decide wht sound to install....so far i have seen
receiver:marantz 7005
front towers:bostonacoustics or definitive towers
surrounds:definitive in wall
sub:yet to decide
centre:dunno
and yes a hd projector....mitsubishi or panasonic

guys this is stretching the budget too much
any ideas what i need and what i should put....

i also feel that i am going to do this maybe once for a long long time so later i shouldn;t feel that the power lacks while watching movies.

any advice you guys give me will be highly appreciated.

cheers.

Glad to meet another movie enthusiast. Is that a dedicated room for the HT? Please post some pics of the room to generate better ideas. The Marantz 7005 has some great reviews. Where are you getting it from?
Regarding speakers there apparently is a sale by Mission in Vijay sales Bombay.
Check this link http://www.hifivision.com/hot-deals/16445-hottest-deal-ever.html
From the reviews they should be pretty good for your HT.
If you're interested in buying a slightly used Panasonic PT-AX200E Projector with accessories check out the For sale by owners section in the forum as I've put one on sale there. Will the projector be ceiling mounted with bracket or placed on a shelf?
What screen are you getting? If its a dedicated HT room and if you can live without putting a TV in there go in for a fixed screen as they are better and more convenient than manual or motorised ones.
Do a bit of sound insulation as per your budget as well.
regards

make sure you use wall mounts / speaker stands. they are definitely going to complete your home theatre setup.
adjusting the face of the speaker in a favourable direction makes them look much better..

dear george and napoleon....thanks for your interest to guide newbies like me.
i am attaching pics of my room.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

basically i want to know:
The receiver is Marantz 7005 - am getting it from a dealer in ahmedabad for around 65k
now,
the speakers for me are either boston acoustics of wharfdale 9.6 diamonds.
and i am heavily confused...so pls help.

thanks.

dear george and napoleon
thanks fr the helpful advise.....i tried to post pics earlier but the board didnt show them so posting again.....

this is the wall with width of 12 feet....the projector will project a screen of 8feet here.
opposite wall i want to put the sofa/recliners with the surround speakers and woofer.

the marantz 7005 i am planning to buy from one of 3 dealers in ahmedabad.
mainly i am confused whether to go for boston vs336 series speaker setup of wharfdale diamond 9.6 series setup....

kindly help.
also have any of ou guys heard anything like acoustic plaster....my home theatre guy suggested it today morning

guys wheres the tempo?
no replies no advice....this place isnt so dead.....come on
soon i will be the owner of a hifi ht system.....pls be a part of the setup
:|

:rolleyes:

guys wheres the tempo?

Hello wavetingle,

As your room is going to be a dedicated HT room, u may need

1)sound soundproofing/isolation

2)sound absorption--acoustic wall panels

3)bass traps

4)sound diffusion

5) room mode treatment

6)extensive product selection according to need/budget:finalize ur budget, give us a approx. figure

7)power conditioning

8)patience: a lot:)

9)time: how much u got?

10)some homework:--forum search: go to threads like"showcase ur audio/video setup here" + other similar threads to get basic idea upfront

are u ready for the ride:):cheers:

A useful guideline from one of our respected member
A chain is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain

* Music is all about synergy
* When buying, start with speakers, then the source then the amplification
* High-end Indian brands will sound better than similarly priced international brands
* Source + Amplification + Speakers = 95% of the sound
* Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead = 4% of the sound (Don't spend over 10% or INR 5k)
* Power conditioners + Vibration absorbers = 1% (Under normal urban conditions)

cheers

guys wheres the tempo?

Music is very subjective. Marantz is the way to go for me specially in AVR. Its very difficult for an AVR to give best results in Music. Integrated Amp will always sound better than AVR's given the same specs. But Marantz does a very good job in Music.

After auditioning Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer and Marantz, i settled for Marantz since my usage was 50% Movies and 50% Music.

SR7005 for the setup should be nice but i think SR5005 can easily power your room size. Mine is 17" X 11" and SR5005 gives enormous power to my Energy RC50 Fronts. I do listen to loud Music and 5005 does the justice. Max volume is +18db and max i can go is -15db in music and -5 in movies. Marantz gives sheer power. Obviously my speaker sensitivity is also very high so they can be easily driven by lesser wpc AVR. Obviously 7005 cannot be compared to 5005, 7005 is much feature and power rich compared to 5005.

Most important thing you need to consider is room acoustics. I may not be able to help you in acoustics but you can take help from forum members.

Hi mandeep and ask the guys out here who have got life back into this post...good thing i thought of looking at the thread even while sitting in a mumbai local or you guys would have passed off again;)
Some of the things we have decided are...
-marantz 7005
-boston vs 336+ vs 325c OR boston rs334 + rs 244c
-boston rds 1000 woofer
-definitive in wall surrounds
-full hd panasonic projector
-ceiling 50% acoustic paneling gypsum boards
-wooden flooring
hmmm thats about it...what do you guys think?

and yes....cables are DAC .

Last edited:
hey mandeep n dj79....thx for bringing life back to this thread....thought that you guys would be passed off if i didnt reply soon...so tried to post from my galaxy tab...sitting in a mumbai local.....but it dint show up :(
we have finalised sum things.....well heres the deal:
-marantz 7005
-boston acoustics Boston VS336+Boston VS325c+Boston HSi 255
OR
Boston RS 334+Boston RS 244c+Boston HSi 255
-boston rds1000 woofer
-definitive surrounds in wall
50% of ceiling AND rear wall st.gobain acoustic panelling
-wooden floor

soo...what do you gurus say??
appreciate your concern and interest.

hey mandeep n dj79....thx for bringing life back to this thread....thought that you guys would be passed off if i didnt reply soon...so tried to post from my galaxy tab...sitting in a mumbai local.....but it dint show up :(
we have finalised sum things.....well heres the deal:
-marantz 7005
-boston acoustics Boston VS336+Boston VS325c+Boston HSi 255
OR
Boston RS 334+Boston RS 244c+Boston HSi 255
-boston rds1000 woofer
-definitive surrounds in wall
50% of ceiling AND rear wall st.gobain acoustic panelling
-wooden floor

soo...what do you gurus say??
appreciate your concern and interest.

What is the price you are paying for them? I know a dealer of bouston. Can check the price with him.

Why not SR5005. comparatively cheap than 7005 and a very powerful AVR.

prices are.........
-marantz 7005-65k
-boston acoustics Boston VS336(95k)+Boston VS325c(45k)+Boston HSi 255(12k)
OR
Boston RS 334(78k)+Boston RS 244c(27k)+Boston HSi 255(12k)
-boston rds1000 woofer(51k)
-definitive surrounds in wall(not qouted)

but you didnt comment on the setup guys?????
is it ok or too much overpowered

hey guys
i have been waiting for your comments for days now.....
have you guys forgotten this thread....or sum other prob....
heres a newbie askin for advise....

so advise guys.........

Dear Wavetingle, I happened to see your thread to day. It has been nice you wanted to set up a nice home theater system in a dedicated auditorium.
The Marantz what you have selected is the best one. I feel with regard to Speakers you can still go in for better brands (of course not just because they are best brands but because of their performance). I don't think Boston Acoustics is any way near to your vision and thinking.

Any how I don't get your budget for the HT system with which the forum can suggest still a better brands and models. Interior and sound proofing is no big deal. (The strength of the chain is the strength of the weakest link) Hence you have to concentrate on each and every aspect including speaker cables to have a comprehensive HT room.

I had an exhaustive array of HT systems in the past and even now (it is there in the thread "what AVR you have") and in my experience I feel in whole of India only in Chennai we can get almost all the top brands used or new for setting up a HT. Evidently in the forum not many have traveled beyond Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo etc same way in speakers too, it makes me to feel either they don't get the other top brands in their area or most of them haven't experienced many top brands or at the least haven't had an audition of the other top brands.

In a nut shell please consider other better brand of Speaker package if your budget permits as you wanted to have an exhaustive HT system.

Thanks and Regards

Dear rbala
Thanks a lot for your reply.had begun to think that thread and forum is unconscious.

Can you please suggest what brands I should audition.I have a budget of around 200k for the sound along with 100k for the projector...(which I have panasonic full hd in mind)

Pls suggest as I have time to invest in the system
Thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back