DIY Moving Coil phonostage

Yes Capt,
I have sent few boards to Hypnotoad of AK,same day I have shipped few boards to Shaizada.I just sent BOM on your mail.

Regards,
Sachin

sachin, can you do 2 diy's for me? completely?

i was looking at 1 MM and 1 MC phono? PM me!

SUCCESS!!

I JUST fired it up and it is working. I will post impressions later on once it has settled in and run for a while. 1st thoughts...everyone should build one. The treble is a somewhat exaggerated right now and the bass is quite reduced. I suspect, this will all balance out when all those caps are burned in.

This time though, I got some nice cuts and bruises while drilling holes for the casework...but it's all worth it :)

EDIT: Treble energy already reduced a bit after playing 3 songs. Didn't think it would be so quick and obvious!

SACHIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH ONCE AGAIN FOR THE BOARDS. Tusi Chaa Gaye!

Last edited:
Hi Sachin

what are the green colour blocks in the circuit board, ( the pics which you posted ) which have screws on them on the top ?

Regards

Tanoj

Hi Sachin

what are the green colour blocks in the circuit board, ( the pics which you posted ) which have screws on them on the top ?

Regards

Tanoj

They are PCb terminals for swapping resisters quickly.You need to change R1/R2/R3/R4 resisters for different MC carts,this will help you easy swapping of resisters without soldering.

Regards,
Sachin

Hello Sachin

Connected the phono stage, and i should tell you its awesome,

what a great sound stage, and everything is absolutely superb

you should hear it to believe it

great bass, treable, iam loving the tabla sound, listing to jodha akbar LP

WOW .... Aweeesome , Iam loving it :yahoo:

Hello Sachin

That's great to hear, Tanoj.

You seem to have similar experience to whoever has made and listened to this DIY MC phono. So I can only look forward to completing my build and buying a proper MC cart.

@Capt: I see that you've opted too for this DIY. Moving to the dark side soon, are we?

Hello Sachin

Hi Tanoj,
I am glad you liked it.Please write some more detail.

Regards,
Sachin

I am interested in making a DIY MM /MC phonostage could anybody here guide me please.

Looks superb Sachu!!! Finally got a breather today, will be transferring the coins for my board yuhoooo! Then to order the parts...

Thanks again a ton :) :) :)

Sachin,

Could you post a picture of the other side of the board so I see how its soldered?

Thanks!
Steve

Hey Sachu, since the resistor values would depend on the cartridge being used, can't we have a selector with multiple resistors, (stepped attenuator) rather than fixing the resistors onto the PCB?

Hey Sachu, since the resistor values would depend on the cartridge being used, can't we have a selector with multiple resistors, (stepped attenuator) rather than fixing the resistors onto the PCB?

Its not practical with MC carts coz resisters depend upon two things internal impedance of cart and its output,and almost every MC cart resistance is different.

Regards,
Sachin

I am going to order parts for myself,please let me know if anyone wants me to order parts for this pre.

Regards,
Sachin

I haven't ordered parts yet. Would be great if you did so for me too! Do let me know the additional cost. The wires would be included in the parts? Or is there some spec for this and one can pick it up at an electrical store?

Cart: Ortofon SPU classic,
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 200 V
Internal impedance, DC resistance 6 Ohm
Recommended load impedance > 10 Ohm

Are the specs enough for the resistors needed?

Regards
Steve

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back