DIY Moving Coil phonostage

Steve,

I built one for my friend...and within a few days he changed the cart..using Sachin's calculator fixed new values...it was a breeze...my friend is quite happy..

gopi

Steve,

I built one for my friend...and within a few days he changed the cart..using Sachin's calculator fixed new values...it was a breeze...my friend is quite happy..

gopi

Hi Gopi,
Can you write some review.Did you like it?

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Gopib,

Thanks for that info! Yes it will be easy with those screw things sachin has built into it. Sachin emailed me the calculator. Sachin, the zip file on ak wasn't getting extracted you might want to inform the relevant uploader there. Or maybe I should have been logged in to download it...

Regards

Tapatalking. Look ma, no computer!

Hi Gopib,

Thanks for that info! Yes it will be easy with those screw things sachin has built into it. Sachin emailed me the calculator. Sachin, the zip file on ak wasn't getting extracted you might want to inform the relevant uploader there. Or maybe I should have been logged in to download it...

Regards

Which zip file Steve?

Regards,
Sachin

Sachin, was there on the thread on AK, the long one, somewhere in the middle pages.

Regards

I got the R1/R2, etc resistors from a local electronics parts store. They had only 10% tolerance parts. I could not travel to the other end of town to Lamington Road market, so I ended up buying the nearest available values from this shop:

1. R1: supposed to be 14 Ohms but got 15 Ohms. Actual measured values are 16.3 and 16.4 Ohms.

2. R2: supposed to be 420 Ohms but got only 390 Ohms. Actual measured values are 393 and 394 Ohms. For experimentation with R2 = 10xR1 idea, I also bought 150 Ohms resistors (actual values were 147-ish Ohms). Will see which one sounds better.

Total damage: 3 rupees for 6 resistors.

I got the R1/R2, etc resistors from a local electronics parts store. They had only 10% tolerance parts. I could not travel to the other end of town to Lamington Road market, so I ended up buying the nearest available values from this shop:

1. R1: supposed to be 14 Ohms but got 15 Ohms. Actual measured values are 16.3 and 16.4 Ohms.

2. R2: supposed to be 420 Ohms but got only 390 Ohms. Actual measured values are 393 and 394 Ohms. For experimentation with R2 = 10xR1 idea, I also bought 150 Ohms resistors (actual values were 147-ish Ohms). Will see which one sounds better.

Total damage: 3 rupees for 6 resistors.
There few standard values which could be used in series ->

For 14 ohms ~ 10+3.9 ohms series (For 10 X -> 100 + 39)
or -> two 27 ohms in paralleled

--------------
For 420 ohms ~ (390 + 27) ohms series or (220 + 200) or (150 + 270)

or 470 and 3.9K paralleled will result 419.xx

Last edited:
There few standard values which could be used in series ->

For 14 ohms ~ 10+3.9 ohms series (For 10 X -> 100 + 39)
or -> two 27 ohms in paralleled

--------------
For 420 ohms ~ 390 + 27 ohms series or 220 + 200
or 470 and 3.9K paralleled will result 419.xx

That's brilliant thinking!

By the way, what are the generally available resistor values in a normal electronics parts shop? I think I will go back this evening itself and get these parts.

By the way, what are the generally available resistor values in a normal electronics parts shop? I think I will go back this evening itself and get these parts.

Look description of this product (this is SMD, dont buy unless you would like to venture into SMD DIY)

These are most commonly useful, see table in description of this.
These are general standard values mostly found everywhere. There are some more odd values but difficult to find.

Edited more combinations in previous post.

Last edited:

I am gong to order parts for this PS.I will order those resisters for you.

Regards,
Sachin

I completed soldering last night. R1/R2 and R9/R10 are locally procured resistors. The leads were a bit rusty but nothing good ole scraping could not cure.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, where's that cart?:)

Need to start planning cabinet.

I completed soldering last night. R1/R2 and R9/R10 are locally procured resistors. The leads were a bit rusty but nothing good ole scraping could not cure.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, where's that cart?:)

Need to start planning cabinet.

It looks good Joshua,use CAT5 cable for RCA.Its very easy to work and has good quality copper.

Regards,
Sachin

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back