DIY Moving Coil phonostage

Hypnotoad,

Am not worried about whether it sounds good that's an adventure. What got me worried is your statement that there might be a short. Would this harm the cartridge? This is my first diy venture am pretty zero on electronics and the carts is an expensive one hence...

Sachin/Hypnotoad,

This only works with low output carts or would it work with a sumiko bluepoint which is high output mc of 2.5mv? Is it that there are gain stages in this to bring up the output whereas in the cnc which is for mm there would be a different gain circuit hence it would suit the bluepoint?

Regards

Tapatalking. Look ma, no computer!

Hypnotoad,

Am not worried about whether it sounds good that's an adventure. What got me worried is your statement that there might be a short. Would this harm the cartridge? This is my first diy venture am pretty zero on electronics and the carts is an expensive one hence...

Sachin/Hypnotoad,

This only works with low output carts or would it work with a sumiko bluepoint which is high output mc of 2.5mv? Is it that there are gain stages in this to bring up the output whereas in the cnc which is for mm there would be a different gain circuit hence it would suit the bluepoint?

Regards

Hi Steve,
This will work with all MC carts.You just need to change respective resisters.FM Tanoj is using it with Denon Dl-160,which has a fairly high output,even Hypnotoad is using it with Benz micro ACE HOMC.

Regards,
Sachin

Hypnotoad,

Regards

I was alluding the fact that if you go down to near zero ohms that is a short and the op amp maybe would not work properly. There is no danger to your cart at all.

Cheers,

Phillip

Here are two kit for forum members sent from Sachin.
They are almost complete but untested. I don't have MC cart. :(
Both are same kits only external parts are different. External battery or upgradable to regulated PS too. XLR for power supply connection.

This is for 'tek' using local cabinet and MX RCA connectors. Chassis isolation was made using tape and sleeves. I will put more sleeves on inside wires.

image692.jpg

image693.jpg

image694f.jpg

image695.jpg

This is for dranil, power supply is pending, waiting for r-core trafo.
This is neutrik RCA connectors and Hammond box. Power switch was matched to box profile. Yet to apply glue on LED and connectors threads.

image696.jpg

image697w.jpg

image698.jpg

image699x.jpg

Thanks OM! Looks amazing! Can't wait to get my hands on my build!! :D :D

So the resistors on there should be ok for my Denon DL-110? If I ever plan on upgrading the cart to a Denon 103 (which i plan to do in the next few months), then someone please point me towards a replacement set of resistors (and how to plug them in). I'm a real dummy when it comes to these things :p

Big thanks again to OM and Sachu for such great work and generosity in helping other members!! Really appreciate the hard work!!

Thanks OM! Looks amazing! Can't wait to get my hands on my build!! :D :D

So the resistors on there should be ok for my Denon DL-110? If I ever plan on upgrading the cart to a Denon 103 (which i plan to do in the next few months), then someone please point me towards a replacement set of resistors (and how to plug them in). I'm a real dummy when it comes to these things :p

Big thanks again to OM and Sachu for such great work and generosity in helping other members!! Really appreciate the hard work!!

Hi Tek,
Those resisters will work for DL-110.You need to change only 4 resisters whenever you decide to change the cart.We have put screw terminals on PCB,so no need for soldering.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks everybody! I thought its same monotonic task to build kit, so now experimenting details in finish each time to make it better and better.

So I finally got my hands on the HTMCPS yesterday! It arrived in the post thanks to a joint effort by Sachu and Omishra who deserve all the credit for this tremendous effort (and of course, Hypnotoad for the great design and for starting the whole thing off!) Hats off to these gents. Unfortunately Om or Sachu didn't get a chance to test it out as neither had MC carts, so was a bit nervous. But luckily it worked on first try!

Anyhow, I was with a friend of mine who is quite neutral when it comes to music and audio equipment, so i thought it would be good to see what his impressions were as well. I only got to spend about an hr testing it out, but the first impressions were great. Right off the bat, both my friend and I could tell that the instruments were much clearer and had much better separation. I couldn't believe it was the same cart! I thought the difference would be more subtle, and while it was not a radical change in sound, it was improved enough for my friend to tell the difference.

I tested this with my DL-110 HOMC cart on my JVC QL7. Record we played was Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah. I'm looking forward to spending some more time and doing some closer listening. But initial thoughts - this is a fantastic phono stage for the price, and makes the DL-110 sound a lot better than it did on my CNC Phono (which was fantastic in itself)

Thanks a ton to all involved!
- Tek

Brilliant reviews for the phono stage. I am eagerly waiting for mine too. I am thankful to Sachin and Mr. Mishra for helping me out with the phono stage.

@ Tek - I had sent you a PM asking your impressions on the Denon DL-110 HOMC cartridge. It would be great if you can take the time out to reply back.

Cheers to all,
Kartick

Hey Kartick

Sorry I've not replied to your PM, i've been busy traveling and just came in a few days ago. Will reply to it very soon!

Cheers

Tek

One more is out there, this is for FM 'dranil'

Power Supply internals->

Power Supply back ->

Power Supply Front->

Power Supply connected to MC Phono preamp ->

Power Supply and MC Phono preamp working together ->

Hi,
update for this Phonostage.As suggested by Hypnotoad ,we have replaced 1.5uf caps with 2.2uf Polypropylenes and also removed the 75k resistors and put in 200k.This has improved Bass response earlier it was little rolled off.Members having this change can confirm this.I am expecting few reviews from FMs as I don't have any MC cart for this.
Now new boards will have correct values printed on them.

Regards,
Sachin

Back