Dubai HFV (Mini) Meet & Marantz CD 6003 vs. Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player Shootout

PS: so are you thinking of getting yourself a dedicated stereo amp for music ;)

Not for the next 2-3 years at least:). The 876 has a very powerful amp section and serves me well for music. My discussions with Venkatcr also convinced me that the 876 is a pretty solid piece of an amp.

Hi Dhilip,

Does the Emotiva need a step down transformer here in India?

Thanks,
sri

Hi Sri,

No need for a step down transformer. The emotiva has a switched mode power supply with a manual switch in the rear panel that allows us to select 110 or 230 volts.

Regards,
Dhilip

@VenaktCR

Hi Venkat,

As you an see i have a vintage Marantz CDP and Amp and Wharf 9.2.Do you think the Emotiva can bring a change to my listening experience if i replace the Marantz CDP with it? A colleague is travelling to US.I can order it to her US address now and ask her to bring it when she returns after 4 months time.Do you think its worth it?

Thanks,
sri

As you an see i have a vintage Marantz CDP and Amp and Wharf 9.2.Do you think the Emotiva can bring a change to my listening experience if i replace the Marantz CDP with it? A colleague is travelling to US.I can order it to her US address now and ask her to bring it when she returns after 4 months time.Do you think its worth it?

Sri, as you may have heard during our meeting, I have have been contemplating a source for myself. It was either a advanced PC with an excellent DAC, or one of Emotiva or the CA 650C. I was have been fascinated by the 650C, but the reviews have a bit disappointing, as the Marantz seems to be beating it in delivery.

Between the Emotiva and Marantz, I think the same thing is happening. The Emotiva simply delivers better. Larger sound stage, faster decay, and cleaner separation between frequencies. If you can get your hands on a piece at less than 25K, I think it will certainly take your music listening to a higher level.

Cheers

A rev can change with stereo amp & matching spks. a example - Yesterday I heard Rotel RA-820 with nova1(Lithos) & Pandam (arouns 8in BS/Sat) @ friends place. Source was sony DVDp.
When I played it with Pandam,sound was clean,technical & male vocals appeared thinner. When same amp connected to Lithos,sound changed dramatically with larger soundstage. Vocals in mids,accurate sound reproduction.With CDP,it wld be still better. So again this can say again that a good sound depends on proper/matching components. So marantz fans shldnt be worried as I feel if amp was used Rotel/CA(British amps),rev wld have been different(ie.in favour of marantz).

Spiro, when you compare two products, what you do is to keep all other components the same. This is what Dhilip did, and this what you also did. In your case, what changed was the speakers. In Dhilip's case, what changed was the CDP. Everything else was constant.

If a CDP needs a particular environment to shine, there is, in my mind, something amiss with that CDP. After all, the same can be said of the other player also. The very fact that given a specific environment, the Emotiva delivered better says a lot about it. This is not to say the Marantz is bad. Just that the Emotiva was better. If you read professional reviews in magazines, many times, the reviewer feels that between excellent products, one shines just a but more. That is all.

When I was reading comparison of graphics cards, I had the same situation. On the same 5770 GPU, AMD, Gigabyte, and Sapphire have made excellent graphic cards. All performed superbly, but the Sapphire performed just a wee bit better. At the end I picked up a Gigabyte as I got it at a good price, and it sufficed for my needs.

As I said in this thread, it does look as if Emotiva has done it's homework well. That is all.

Cheers

Thats true Venkat & rev can change a bit with different settings.Even cables make lot difference.

Not for the next 2-3 years at least:). The 876 has a very powerful amp section and serves me well for music. My discussions with Venkatcr also convinced me that the 876 is a pretty solid piece of an amp.

with no bad intentions here
............................876 and power ??? dont go together,even one channel driven

hi dhilip

this one may be off topic ,but still

do you have a BD player , if so

wud like u to do a simple test on the 876, ie only if u are willing

or anybody with a 875 if willing ,do let me know

regards

Last edited:
with no bad intentions here
............................876 and power ??? dont go together,even one channel driven

Subhash,

I know that you have reported problems with your 875. But you also had mentioned in a PM that you like to keep your volume levels 3 dB above reference levels (0 dB). Plus your speakers are Jamo C 8xx series which are quite power hungry. I think in your case, you need a much more powerful amplifier to satisfy your speakers and your volume needs;) For me, the 876 has more than enough juice for music & HT.

Sound & Vision magazine reported the 875 as being able to provide up to 180 or 190 Watts per channel when driven with 2 channels before it starts clipping. Unfortunately the Lab Results section of Sound & Vision web site is down otherwise I would provide you with the link.

-thekinge

hi dhilip

this one may be off topic ,but still

do you have a BD player , if so

wud like u to do a simple test on the 876, ie only if u are willing

or anybody with a 875 if willing ,do let me know

regards

I have a PS3 which I use as a BD player. What sort of test would you like to do Subhash?

Hi Dilip,

Thanks for the detailed review ( you and & Venkatcr). If I had known earlier I would have come and meet you and Venkat as I live in Dubai.

By the way, I don't think there is any dealer for Emotiva products in Dubai. Anxious to know where did you puchase? Is it a direct purchase from US and what price?

Can I have your mobile number to conatct if you wish.

Bye

Prakash

Hi Prakash,

Unfortunately I have not seen many active HFV members from Dubai hence I did not announce the meeting well in advance. However, I did put up a note about the meeting few days before its start. Probably you missed that. I will keep you posted if I plan any meeting in Dubai in the future.

Regards,
Dhilip

venkatcr, srinisundar, srikarkav, suri, subhash, harryanthony, cooltoad, esantosh, captrajesh and all others,

Thanks for your encouraging comments! I really appreciate it and makes me more confident to write up a similar review about my Diamond 10.7 speakers hopefully in the near future.

Regards,
Dhilip

The only inference one can draw is how these two players will perform with these specific components in this particular room.

Reviewing cd players and inferring conclusions about them cannot be done this way. Audio is a complicated thing. Loudspeaker frequency response anomalies and its interaction with an amplifier and room can cloud your judgment tremendously.

If you replicate this test in a reference grade two channel system in a well-treated room you will come to a different conclusion. Maybe the emotiva will still win but unless you do that, one can never say !

Some examples:

1. A speaker with a rolled off top end can make a balanced cd player sound as if it is rolled off in the top end. In this setup, a bright cd player will win.

2. An amp which is having a tough time controlling the woofer in the lower frequencies (most AVRs fall into this category) can make a full range reference grade cd player sound boomy in the lows. A cd player with a rolled off low end will sound tight and nice in this setup.

I can go on and on with these examplesbut you get the idea.:)

Subhash,

I know that you have reported problems with your 875. But you also had mentioned in a PM that you like to keep your volume levels 3 dB above reference levels (0 dB). Plus your speakers are Jamo C 8xx series which are quite power hungry. I think in your case, you need a much more powerful amplifier to satisfy your speakers and your volume needs;) For me, the 876 has more than enough juice for music & HT.

Sound & Vision magazine reported the 875 as being able to provide up to 180 or 190 Watts per channel when driven with 2 channels before it starts clipping. Unfortunately the Lab Results section of Sound & Vision web site is down otherwise I would provide you with the link.

-thekinge

hi dilip

Glad you are happy with the 876 ,i very well hope that the issues of the 875 has been updated in the newer version/876
I have not stated problems in my 875 , i have noticed and made people know the shortcomings of the 875
I wud advice you not to go in for any product based on a review from a magazine ,its one mans opinion .he definetly will not have a particular unit with him for long to notice its shortcomings,instead user reviews are more helpful .

The SnV review of 875 outputting 180-190 watts /channel in stereo by the 875 seems to be blunderous!!!!! ,have done a side by side comparision of the 875 with a small sondyne integrated stereo amp @ 60 watts /channel @ 8 ohms (SA -102, dont remember its exact model no:) Being a small amp @ abt 60 watts /channel it still did outperform the AVR in all depts.
(comparing a 2 channel amp with an AVR is not fair, just letting u know bcoz of you having stated the SnV review)

I disliked the sound of the 875 in all modes (pure/direct/stereo/DSP etc etc) in the very first month of use ,
since then have always used external power amps for all channels .As you rightly said that my spkrs are power hungry ,and the duty of the 875 was only as a pre for HT only , so the question of listening to whatever levels doesnt arise at all as there is absolutely no load on the AVR

For me a product needs to deliver its best @ whatever levels when i do have the facility to drive them well enough, and this particular model failed even when there was not much of load on it,

I do believe the 9 series are better built

Last edited:
hi dilip

glad you are happy with the 876 ,i very well hope that the issues of the 875 has been updated in the newer version/876
I wud advice you not to go in for any product based on a review from a magazine ,its one mans opinion .he definetly will not have a particular unit with him for long to notice its shortcomings,instead user reviews are more helpful .
The SnV review of 875 outputting 180-190 watts /channel in stereo by the 875 seems to be blunderous!!!!! ,have done a side by side comparision of the 875 and a small sondyne integrated stereo amp @ 60 watts /channel @ 8 ohms (SA -102, dont remember its exact model no:) Being a small amp @ abt 60 watts /channel i found that the Sonodyne sounded far better in all depts
(i do Know it was a pure 2 channel amp and an AVR will no way match a dedicated stereo amp irrespective of its power, i am letting u know this bcoz of you having stated the SnV review)

Too late ... he already bought it!! :)

One has to be very lucky to hit the right gear in the very first attempt. Over time one decides about the shortcomings of the gear one owns and an upgrade become due ... :) When its new in the first year, one only soaks in what it provides before new light dawns upon the HiFi owner. Not that I have passed a verdict on the 876 but its the normal course of an audiophiles life ... :eek:hyeah:

So the timing of your suggestion is late by a few months and probably more "listenable" a year down the line .. he will probably be more receptive then ... ;)

Cheers

Too late ... he already bought it!! :)

One has to be very lucky to hit the right gear in the very first attempt. Over time one decides about the shortcomings of the gear one owns and an upgrade become due ... :) When its new in the first year, one only soaks in what it provides before new light dawns upon the HiFi owner. Not that I have passed a verdict on the 876 but its the normal course of an audiophiles life ... :eek:hyeah:

So the timing of your suggestion is late by a few months and probably more "listenable" a year down the line .. he will probably be more receptive then ... ;)

Cheers

gobble ,dhilips happy thats the main thing ,he very well knew abt the 875 , he moreover got it for a great deal

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back