Dubai HFV (Mini) Meet & Marantz CD 6003 vs. Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player Shootout

I would like to add that in Santorini by Yanni, the drums when played by the Emotiva died very quickly, something I like a lot. In something like Orchestral music, percussion and instrumental decay goes a long way in removing the merging of sound and the capability to hear complex and rapid shift from one instrument to another.

For a long time I used to think that percussion decay was the sole responsibility of speakers. If you remember I had talked about this a lot in my review of the Audire speakers. The Emotiva was clearly able to control the decay precisely, while the Marantz let it slide in the exact places that Dhilip mentioned in his post.

Both Santorini and the Yesterday Once More are songs I am very familiar with.

I am not fond of live numbers. But well recorded live numbers do provide one thing - a huge audience clapping. The capability of a system of recreating the large soundstage with hundreds of hands clapping is overwhelming, irrespective of the amplitude used. Usually the clapping starts small, rolls in like a thunder, reaches a crescendo, and then dies away. At the end, depending upon the recording, you can hear a few individual hands continuing to clap. The Marantz just could not match the Emotiva in this.

Excellent review, Dhilip. A job well done, I must say.

Cheers

Thanks for your comments Venkatcr:)

Nice review and good to record an hifi abroad meet... :)

Thanks srinisundar!

Hi,

That was a very nice and neat review:) The test may not have been done scientifically but the review looks and reads like a professional one.Well done Dhilip.

cheers,
sri

PS: By the way can you tell me what is the shipping weight of Emotiva?

Connectivity
The Marantz CD 6003 was connected to analog RCA DVD input of the 876 and the Emotiva ERC-1 was connected to the analog RCA CD input of the 876. Both the CD players were connected using two separate BJC LC-1 interconnects.

Both the DVD & CD playback modes in the 876 were changed to Pure Audio. Now, a lot of posts have been made in this shoot-out thread questioning the validity of the test since the Marantz CD 6003 was connected to a DVD input and not a CD input. Let me answer them in this review.

Please see the following points on Pure Audio mode, taken from various sections of the Onkyo TX-SR876 owners manual:
  • Page 72, Basic Operations, Topic Adjusting Bass & Treble: You can adjust the bass and treble for the front speakers, except when the Direct, Pure Audio or THX listening mode is selected
  • Page 81, Using The Listening Modes, Topic Selecting on the AV Receiver: [PURE AUDIO] This button selects the Pure Audio listening mode. When this mode is selected, the AV receivers display is turned off and only video signals input through HDMI IN can be output
  • Page 103, Advanced Operations, Topic Equalizer Settings: When the listening mode is set to Direct or Pure Audio, no effect will be produced
  • Page 106, Advanced Operations, Topic Tone Control Settings: The tone control circuits are bypassed when the Direct, Pure Audio or THX listening mode is selected.
  • Page 108, Advanced Operations, Topic Music Optimizer: The Music Optimizer is disabled when the Pure Audio or Direct listening mode is selected.
  • Page 110, Advanced Operations, Topic DVD A/V Sync: A/V Sync cannot be set when the Pure Audio listening mode is selected, or when the Direct listening mode is used with an analog input source.
The above points, especially the second and last points should make it clear that regardless of using DVD input, if the input is through analog connection, it is similar to CD input for the 876. Also in Pure Audio mode, the 876 uniformly disables all additional audio processing options and completely shuts down video circuitry. In short, it is equivalent to Direct Mode, where audio is amplified as-is from the source and all additional audio processing is disabled. The only additional advantage in Pure Audio is that it also shuts down video circuitry to reduce noise & interference. In Direct & Pure Audio modes, all audio outputs are directed to the front left & front right speakers; other speakers such as centre, surround & subwoofer are shut down. I have tested this and if you notice in the below image, the top left corner of the LCD panel in the 876 shows only the front left & right speakers engaged in Pure Audio mode:
876closeup.jpg

Lastly, all video inputs in the 876 are handled by the HQV Reon processor, which is a separate circuit board by itself and all analog audio inputs are handled by a separate and common circuit board. I hope we can now agree that the 876 does not differentiate between the DVD & CD inputs.-thekinge

hi thekinge-

that was the mother of all reviews - superb!

definitely not verbose - every word added to the greater whole!

and yes - the above extracts from the manual (thanks for the trouble you took) put to rest a troubled mind!

and yes - one day i will make you that subwoofer.

regds
suri

PS: By the way can you tell me what is the shipping weight of Emotiva?

From the link you provided in psychotropic's thread,

Packing .. The packing on the ERC-1 is the best I have every seen in an electronics product. Both of the double boxes are extremely thick, heavy and strong. The inner padding was excellent. The packing materials weigh 8 lbs!

From Emotiva's ERC-1 Specs - Weight: 17.5 lbs. (unboxed)

So, 25.5 lbs shipped?

@thekinge,

It's not verbose at all, just about right.

The test may not have been done scientifically
Srikarkav,
Just curious to know in what way was the test not done scientifically? Are you talking about the CD/DVD input issue, which from all evidence thus far, seems to be a non-issue?

Srikarkav,
Just curious to know in what way was the test not done scientifically? Are you talking about the CD/DVD input issue, which from all evidence thus far, seems to be a non-issue?

Guess he was merely referring to this portion in the review -

Before I state the obvious conclusion, I have to add a disclaimer. This was a very subjective test, and the conclusions are drawn from the hearing abilities of two individuals: Venkatcr & I. There are some members who would rather like a much scientific method of testing. They are not wrong. But as much as we would have liked to conduct this test scientifically, neither do I have the equipment (voltmeter, multimeter, amp meter et al) nor am I going to purchase them to perform any form of scientific testing.

A rev can change with stereo amp & matching spks.
a example-
Yesterday I heard Rotel RA-820 with nova1(Lithos) & Pandam (arouns 8in BS/Sat) @ friends place.
Source was sony DVDp.
When I played it with Pandam,sound was clean,technical & male vocals appeared thinner.
When same amp connected to Lithos,sound changed dramatically with larger soundstage.
Vocals in mids,accurate sound reproduction.With CDP,it wld be still better.

So again this can say again that a good sound depends on proper/matching components.

So marantz fans shldnt be worried as I feel if amp was used Rotel/CA(British amps),rev wld have been different(ie.in favour of marantz).

Srikarkav,

As santhosh pointed out i was just refering to the disclaimer by Dhilip.

cheers,
sri

PS: @ SRINISUNDAR-Hi Srinivasan can you kindly tell me what will be the shipping charges for 25.5lb thro vpost?

Sridhar Sir,

Shipping cost will be below SGD200 and you can save some 50% by using some regular offer running in vpost.

Weight- 26lbs Dimension - 20 X 17 X 6 Chg Weight - 11.818182

approximately taken the dimension (boxed)

!!!!!!!!Dhilip, could you please confirm the box size as received??? will be helpful for calculating the volumetric weight.

Regards

Last edited:
PS: @ SRINISUNDAR-Hi Srinivasan can you kindly tell me what will be the shipping charges for 25.5lb thro vpost?

You can ask for a quote which includes cost & shipping by sending an enquiry to the below mail ids. Customs would be extra.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Shipping cost will be below SGD200

I thought they ship it from US & were quoting prices in USD. That we can even pay by SGD is news to me.

you can save some 50% by using some regular offer running in vpost.

Dear Srinisundar,

This sounds interesting. Could you elaborate this.

Rgds

Rajesh

You can ask for a quote which includes cost & shipping by sending an enquiry to the below mail ids. Customs would be extra.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Capt,

Their shipping charges through FedEx are very costly compared to shipping it through Borderlinx / vPost. Since customs are levied on landed cost, it would also increase the duty correspondingly.

Their shipping charges through FedEx are very costly compared to shipping it through Borderlinx / vPost. Since customs are levied on landed cost, it would also increase the duty correspondingly.

I'm aware of the above facts but am not sure whether the seller would send the consignment through a carrier of one's preference.

I thought they ship it from US & were quoting prices in USD. That we can even pay by SGD is news to me.

Dear Srinisundar,

This sounds interesting. Could you elaborate this.

Rgds

Rajesh

Answer to your query for 1st question to me about payment in SGD ::: Vpost base is in Singapore( it is nothing but singapore post), so quote & calculation and also payment mode we pay will be in SGD.

Answer to query for 2nd question about offer : Welcome to vPOSTAsia - Globeshopping. Without Globehopping.

Hi Dilip,

Thanks for the detailed review ( you and & Venkatcr). If I had known earlier I would have come and meet you and Venkat as I live in Dubai.

By the way, I don't think there is any dealer for Emotiva products in Dubai. Anxious to know where did you puchase? Is it a direct purchase from US and what price?

Can I have your mobile number to conatct if you wish.

Bye

Prakash

Excellent Review Dhilip !!!
It is very well written with a lot of details...

keep up the good work... this review has changed my mind on my CD player purchase... I AM GOING FOR THE EMOTIVA... thanks to your comprehensive testing and feedback..

Venkat thanks to your inputs and comments as well.

Cheers
PS: so are you thinking of getting yourself a dedicated stereo amp for music ;)

Great review thekinge and thanks Venkatcr too , never knew diff between two sources could be huge. I'm sure many people will go for the emotiva based on your review.

Sridhar Sir,

Shipping cost will be below SGD200 and you can save some 50% by using some regular offer running in vpost.

Weight- 26lbs Dimension - 20 X 17 X 6 Chg Weight - 11.818182

approximately taken the dimension (boxed)

!!!!!!!!Dhilip, could you please confirm the box size as received??? will be helpful for calculating the volumetric weight.

Regards

Hi Srini,

I can give you the exact dimensions next Sunday after I am back in Dubai. At the moment am in Chennai on a short break.

Regards,
Dhilip

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back