Fans of Television Series

Big fan of murder mysteries :D. I'm currently watching the second season of "Trapped", a Nordic noir mystery set in Iceland. This has got some excellent acting, strong character development, actors who look like they belong to the place and low-budget cinematography. Right from the title credits, we can see how the parallels are drawn using visuals. The soundtrack is layered and melancholic, co-composed by the classical cellist Hildur Gudnadottir (she won the Oscars for the "Joker" soundtrack and Grammy for "Chernobyl"), creates the right atmosphere for the slow-burning plot to unfold.

I loved the 1985 TV mini-series, "Anne of Green Gables" and the '87 sequel . Yet to watch this literary adaptation.
Watched it a long time back. Here is my review along with Fauda. Fauda Season 3 is already out. Its as gripping as the first 2. :) Watch it if you like spy thrillers.

Last edited:
Became a fan of Sasha Baron Cohen after watching The Spy. Its an Israeli espionage drama and a limited series on Netflix. Short, taut, gripping and worth a watch.

Has someone posted something about Bosch(APV)? The 6th season is out and the 7 is about to release in a few months. This is one series that never bores me. That said, the current season of The Sinner(NF) bored me. Not sure about others who have watched this, but for me it was a bit boring. Also, Goliath (APV) this time was just okay.

I dunno about you brothers, but if I have to suggest ONE series for anyone to watch it would be UNBELIEVABLE Its on Netflix and trust me, it is one of the best out there if not the best. Kaitilyn Dever as Marie Adler, lives the role. Looking at the ease and the simplicity she plays Marie, seems like it has indeed happened to her. If you read the reviews, not a lot has been said about Kaitlyn playing Marie. But I think she, Toni Collette and Merrit Wever have carried the series on their shoulders. I cannot write any more without spoiling it for you, but would just suggest to keep this on your list. Its is amazing!!!!
1595928510699.png

Watched it a long time back. Here is my review along with Fauda. Fauda Season 3 is already out. Its as gripping as the first 2. :) Watch it if you like spy thrillers.
Thanks. Will add this to my watch-list :)

I dunno about you brothers, but if I have to suggest ONE series for anyone to watch it would be UNBELIEVABLE Its on Netflix and trust me, it is one of the best out there if not the best. Kaitilyn Dever as Marie Adler, lives the role. Looking at the ease and the simplicity she plays Marie, seems like it has indeed happened to her. If you read the reviews, not a lot has been said about Kaitlyn playing Marie. But I think she, Toni Collette and Merrit Wever have carried the series on their shoulders. I cannot write any more without spoiling it for you, but would just suggest to keep this on your list. Its is amazing!!!!
View attachment 47869
This was a brilliant show, one of the finest I've watched so far. I had written a short note about it and Mindhunter, sometime back. Kaitlyn Dever was very good in it. I ended up watching another movie, "Outside In" (which was also a very good one) , as she was in it too :)

Sorry for the deluge of suggestions and reviews :)

Mandalorian - Disney Hotstar
See - Apple TV+
As already mentioned Defending Jacob - Apple TV+
The Woods (Lots of unanswered questions. Hoping for a second season), Marcella (Prior Seasons are better than the latest one), The Devil Next Door (Awesome!), Manhunt: Unabomber, Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich: Limited Series (Awesome!). The Last Kingdom: Season 4 (Good) , Perfume, Bitter Daisies: Season 1(Good), Caliphate, Ozark Season 3, Locke and Key, Don't F**K with Cats - Both awesome - Netflix

Thanks. Will add this to my watch-list :)

This was a brilliant show, one of the finest I've watched so far. I had written a short note about it and Mindhunter, sometime back. Kaitlyn Dever was very good in it. I ended up watching another movie, "Outside In" (which was also a very good one) , as she was in it too :)
Will watch the movie now :) thanks :D

Let me mention a few additional series here:
El Candidato(APV) (Spanish + English) - It was just by accident that I found this series. A fast paced and a bit different series from Narcos and El Chapo. The twists and turns make it more of a crime thriller rather than the usual Cartel against Law kinds. How it ended, I am eagerly waiting for the second season.
Hanna(APV) - I found the second season a bit more entertaining than the first. It has ended at a very interesting point, paving a way for a third. Lets see how it goes. For those who have not watched this - its about a survivalist girl Hanna(Esme Creed - Miles. Lookout for her she's a star in the making) who is trained by her father (Joel Kinnaman). In the first season these guys are hotly pursued by Marissa (Mireille Enos ) who is working with an Ex-CIA agent who trains adolescent and pretty girls into political assassins for apparent reasons. Joel's character is only in the first season, that's a dampener. How Hanna survives and then works with Marissa is the plot for the second season. Watch only if there is nothing else interesting for you. I did coz I watched the first season.
Homecoming( APV) - The warning bells rang in my head the moment Julia Roberts backed out from the second season. Not worth watching, I was lost, confused and thought, the makers just wanted to put an end to a miserable season. Every excruciating episode after episode, bearing one of the worst acting, I thought, I should have listened to those bells in my head. Watch it ONLY if you watched the first and want to know how it ends. I confess, there were times I just skimmed through a few episodes.
Breathe- First Season and Into the Shadows(APV) - I am sure a lot must be written about this in this forum. But I watched both the seasons maybe a week after the other. Meaning, I hadn't watched it earlier. I found it interesting. R.Madhavan carried the first one totally on his shoulders. Amit Sadh was trying to be the old Amitabh Bachchan. I dunno how a smart cop keeps his revolver unlocked in a wardrobe. Seriously! Also, he is shown to be the most clever cop, as he anticipates anything that the killer does so effortlessly as if the killer himself just whispered it in his ears. I wish we had real life policemen like him. In the second season thankfully he is a bit subdued. One thing I always wondered - how can someone as educated as this family, push themselves to be killers!??? Especially the wife! Beats me! Loved the season 1 climax though. Abhishek's debut is good. The reality hits you hard once you know the whos and whys. The ending is also good. One of the most promising actors, Sapna Pabbi is wasted. I mean she was so good in 24 and now just a pretty face with a pretty body. Damn! Nityha Menon is good and someone to look out for. Sayami Kher is a discovery in this series. She is pretty, gritty and plays her character with an enviable ease. She has shown some promise and would definitely get a lot of opportunities after this.
Raat Akeli Hai (Netflix) - Watched this last night. A decent whodunnit fare with Nawazuddin and Radhika "Radflix" Apte in the main leads. Its about investigating a murder of an old patriarch (I am confused if its in UP or MP) on his wedding day. Radhika is the object of his sadistic sexual kinks and is the bride. Naturally everyone suspects her. So going through the regular twists and turns, with a honest-to-the-core cops vs corrupt politicians and top policemen, we finally find the killer. Well, I predicted correctly :) Its a decent 2.30hrs watch with some good acting and an okayish plot.

Will share my views about a few Voot, MX Player, Hotstar series later. Till then be well, safe and stay indoors if possible.

There is a reason I always say local/regional content - Bangla, Tamil, Telugu etc. have better content than the regular Hindi serials we see. While Hindi content still rules the OTT platforms there are a lot of amazing serials and movies in other regional languages. Just like some of the non-English serials are far better than the regular fare on Netflix. We just need to find them.

One such serial I binged watched yesterday was Samantar (Marathi). Now if you are a fan of Marathi movies or speak the language, you know that a Dhadak cannot even hold a candle to a Sairat. Some stuff is just exemplary. Samantar may not fall in that category, but it had sufficient twists and turns for me to finish the entire season in one sitting. 20+ minutes episodes also helped. A novel concept, a different idea, crisp dialogues without any unnecessary crude language or eroticism, fantastic acting by Swapnil Joshi and Tejaswini Pandit is the highlight. You cannot help but relate to the problems a normal family faces. Plus the setting is in Mumbai, so chawls and local trains make it feel more relatable. The pigeon hole kind of residences (Where the Swami lives) shown are so typical Mumbai and the life they live. I binged it only for the reason to see what it leads to and how it ends. But there are lots of questions than answers. Like Whats the first accident shown for? Why does the Swami not tell both Sudharshan Chakrapani and Kumar their futures What does the last entry in the diary mean? How does Sudarshan Chakrapani get those mysterious powers? Who is He? Ghost? Real Person?If its a Samantar life, what happened to Sudharshan's family? Who calls them to commit suicide?

Like I said, a lot of questions than answers. I seriously hope they have a season 2. Let me check with the makers :D:D

Last edited:
Back with a couple of very good series' - Trapped Season 2 : Its one of the best murder series on Netflix. Add to it the beauty of Iceland. The drama and the eeriness of the murders in a small town is peculiarly balanced by the Icelandic beauty throughout the series. There are some breathtaking locations with snow clad mountains and long windy roads with beautiful views. The second season also stars Ólafur Darri Ólafsson as Andri who is investigating the murders. Injected in the plot is today's reality of making money, whatever the cost. And if you come to realize the truth in it, it hits you. What we are doing with the nature is something unforgivable and its sad to realize this. Anyway, the acting is top class. Olafur is his usual best as in Season 1 and The Widow. Watch it if you like murder mysteries and watch it just for Iceland - Make Iceland Great Again!!!.
After "Fleabag" and "Fargo", this is another TV show, which I felt had a (slightly) better S-2. The standards set by S-1 were high, and they managed to surpass that.
The larger scope and a more engaging plot and its wider implications made this a better season. The change in seasons has also resulted in some stunning landscape shots. The blizzard, which had given the show its name, made the shots appear dark and claustrophobic in S-1.

Fauda - Season 1 and 2 - Not sure if someone has posted a review here, but this is one series that has garnered good reviews everywhere. I am not sure what the language is but I guess its Hebrew and Arabic. Its based on the Israel-Palestinan conflict and the direction, script, handling of the plot is top notch. Doron has retired from the IDF only to learn that the Hamas terrorist he killed is alive. He is brought back into the fold to kill this terrorist. The attempt to kill Taufiq/Abu Ahmad does not go as planned and that initiates a series of events which leads to chaos (Fauda). Its one of the best series on Netflix. The result of 2 killings in the first season is the premise for the second. In the second season Doron and his team face the consequences for their actions and face their most powerful adversary yet. The season has its twists and turns and has its element of brutality. The beheadings are scary, but what scared me was the "Fauda" when the team goes to capture/kill Nidal at the barbershop and gets caught by the Palestinan mob. Its shit scary. Anyway, its a worth a watch.

This is what a Palestinian Boycott movement said of the show:
“It is an anti-Arab, racist, Israeli propaganda tool that glorifies the Israeli military’s war crimes against the Palestinian people. By sanitizing and normalizing these crimes, Fauda is directly complicit in promoting and justifying these grave human rights violations.”

I wouldn't call this show as biased (I liked the Palestinians in the show better than Israelites, as their characters had more layers). It shows both sides. Yes, the POV is from that of an Israeli counter-terrorism wing. Yet this maintains a good balance of tone.

S-1 took me some time in getting involved. A thrill ride, yes, but had less of nuance. The first 6 episodes had more of the action and alpha-men (and one woman) and less of the human element, which however changed midway, following the major plot event. There are some plot holes, which I felt were contrivances to ensure an end to the season. Most the operations shown, on either side, looked authentic. Towards the end, the nuances started appearing, which has kept me hooked for the next season :)

Last edited:
After "Fleabag" and "Fargo", this is another TV show, which I felt had a (slightly) better S-2. The standards set by S-1 were high, and they managed to surpass that.
The larger scope and a more engaging plot and its wider implications made this a better season. The change in seasons has also resulted in some stunning landscape shots. The blizzard, which had given the show its name, made the shots appear dark and claustrophobic in S-1.

This is what a Palestinian Boycott movement said of the show:

I wouldn't call this show as biased (I liked the Palestinians in the show better than Israelites, as their characters had more layers). It shows both sides. Yes, the POV is from that of an Israeli counter-terrorism wing. Yet this maintains a good balance of tone.

S-1 took me some time in getting involved. A thrill ride, yes, but had less of nuance. The first 6 episodes had more of the action and alpha-men (and one woman) and less of the human element, which however changed midway, following the major plot event. There are some plot holes, which I felt were contrivances to ensure an end to the season. Most the operations shown, on either side, looked authentic. Towards the end, the nuances started appearing, which has kept me hooked for the next season :)
I agree. What I personally feel is, while watching any politically charged series, there is and will always be another side to the story. Its as easy for someone to boycott it as it is for a third party to have an unbiased opinion and watch it. It should be left at that. No one is going to condemn or praise either parties. Unless they have a political or patriotic inclination to it, of course. Same was the case when Munich was released in 2005. Or Schindler's List in 1993. Movies and serials have a way to tell a particular story. Aquarius (David Duchovny) is purely based on Charles Manson, at least he is second central character if not the main one. People had an opinion about that as well. Same is the case with Ted Bundy Documentary and Wild Wild West featuring Osho.

Just finished Signs on Netflix. Its a Polish Crime thriller set in a quaint village of Gory Sowie (perhaps translated as Owl Mountains). A crime is committed in this village and it has an uncanny resemblance to a crime committed 10 years back. The same process follows - investigate, usual suspects, murder, personal issues - etc. What makes this a bit predictable is how such serials are setup. This one was particularly confusing for me as there were multiple irrelevant parallel plots running with the main storyline. To keep a track of all these with no relevance is difficult. A lot is going on without much clarification. The series is 8 episode long with 45 mins for each episode. To get no answers for watching 8*45 mins episodes is frustrating. For me it was borderline boring. Of course, I wanted to see what happens in the end. Those who watch such serials, the culprit is clear for them after watching few episodes. There's a major hint dropped towards the end, but it kinda gets boring after the 4th episode. The twist in the last few seconds of the climax is promising, but leaves us with too many questions and just leaves the loose ends without tying them up. Like, why there is WWII angle, What is the priest doing snapping so many pictures, Who or what is Jonasz, what happened to the quarry CEO etc. Shows that there is a second season somewhere. I read, its already released in Poland. So have to wait.

Cannot recommend it. But if you like the genre, give it a try.

Pro Tip: I fast forwarded through a few episodes :D:D:p

The Twelve - Netflix

Not that I am that old ;), but when I was little, I had watched a "bore" (I was just a kid!) of a Basu Chatterjee movie (which I later considered as a masterpiece) named Ek Ruka Hua Faisla. This was a gem of a movie where 12 jurors are hopelessly stuck with a 11(Guilty):1(Not Guilty) verdict in a murder trial. Watch the movie if you need to know what happens. While that movie was, is and always will be a masterpiece for me, The Twelve, a Belgian drama about a woman Frie Palmers on trial for 2 murders will be a slow but watchable drama. Funny thing is these murders are 18 years apart. What follows is the journey we take with the jurors, their personal lives, their secrets, the people who are affected by the trial namely, the victim's family, the accused family (they both are the same for one murder). This serial was too slow for me, and it takes a different perspective on the judicial system showing how the jurors' personal experiences, prejudices and biases are brought to the deliberating room. Some nice performances, a decent story, and the way this plot is treated makes it a decent watch. For me it was too slow and predictable.

Bandish Bandits - Amazon Prime

For lovers of Indian Classical music or just good ol Indian music this is a must watch. Excellent songs .. superb score by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy that makes Bandish Bandits a mesmerising musical experience. With songs from Pt Ajoy Chakraborty, Shankar Mahadevan, Javed Ali and Jonita Gandhi it is a musical rollercoaster all the way. Watched the songs alone many times now ! Putting on your best headphones or viewing with your hometheater is an absolute must !

Not that I am that old ;), but when I was little, I had watched a "bore" (I was just a kid!) of a Basu Chatterjee movie (which I later considered as a masterpiece) named Ek Ruka Hua Faisla. This was a gem of a movie where 12 jurors are hopelessly stuck with a 11(Guilty):1(Not Guilty) verdict in a murder trial. Watch the movie if you need to know what happens.

This sounds similar to Sidney Lumet's 12 Angry Men. A remake ? The Twelve looks interesting, thanks, let me add it to my watch-list :)

Dirty John Season 2: The Betty Broderick Story starring Amanda Peet and Christian Slater. A (crazy?) lady who is being divorced by a very successful lawyer. Clearly, she is the one at fault. Right?

Streaming on Netflix. 5 episodes in. Highly recommended!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back