Fans of Television Series

Anybody’s watched Schitt’s Creek? I started watching it on a whim and it’s turning out very likeable. How a rich family adapts to resourceless life in a small town after they lose all their wealth while still retaining their sense of humour and togetherness and actually finding the experience cathartic and transformational. This sounds heavy, but the series is light-hearted. The little town... it’s characters... the mayor and his wife, their greenpeace son, the motel manager lady... and all others. Just love the cosiness of it. The series also has a moral compass, but it’s deep below and not in your face. I didn’t know any of these actors, but they seem to be good.

In today’s times, when each one of us is looking at a present and future where we might have to downsize, this series speaks to you.

it’s on Netflix:

Finished watching - The Great Heist on Netflix. Its a TV adaptation of the robbery of Colombia's central bank in October 1994 when a thieves made off with $33million (23 Billion in Colombian Currency). Without a single bullet fired and without shedding a drop of blood. It was dubbed as "The Robbery Of The Century"

Is it a poor man's Money Heist, the classic caper? Well, No! No matter what some reviews might say, its nowhere near to the intricate cunning of the Professor or the gutsy team he manages to assemble. TGH is about the desperation and betrayal of Chayo. He assembles a team of "professionals" to rob the Bank of Valledupar basis a "tip" from a certain Ulises and his friend/s. Based on this, Chayo gets his old team to plan for the robbery. A lot of new faces are included, and the robbery based on the tip instead of taking 18-30 mins takes around 24 hours. The bribes they pay, the difficulties they face in getting the money and transporting it and thereafter making it legal, makes the rest of the episodes. The only smart-ass in this entire story is the Lawyer and the luckiest one was Sardino. Its a short 6 episodes limited series. Makes a good watch. But comparisons to the Money Heist are inevitable. Keep those comparisons aside and enjoy! :) :) :)

Last edited:
Anybody’s watched Schitt’s Creek? I started watching it on a whim and it’s turning out very likeable. How a rich family adapts to resourceless life in a small town after they lose all their wealth while still retaining their sense of humour and togetherness and actually finding the experience cathartic and transformational. This sounds heavy, but the series is light-hearted. The little town... it’s characters... the mayor and his wife, their greenpeace son, the motel manager lady... and all others. Just love the cosiness of it. The series also has a moral compass, but it’s deep below and not in your face. I didn’t know any of these actors, but they seem to be good.

In today’s times, when each one of us is looking at a present and future where we might have to downsize, this series speaks to you.

it’s on Netflix:

I was wondering why it feels so different from American sitcoms. And then, while reading up on the father-son duo of Eugene and Dan Levy who cocreated and costarred in it, I realised it is indeed not an American sitcom. It’s North American alright, but Canadian. Obviously! I get the treatment now - a bit more sensitive/humanistic and much more low-key, while maintaining the American essence.

Well,my 2 cents.. i haven't scrolled through the entire thread so I dont know wether these are mentioned.
1) Romanzo Criminale- la serie: not available on any Indian ott platform. It's one of the most perfect series I have seen in terms of character development and story arc closure. The 2 seasons are near perfect, so much so that i got attached to all lead characters in a course of 2 seasons(rare feat). It's loosely based on the rise and fall of Magdalena gang in Rome during the 60s or the 70s. Give it a couple of episodes since it starts with the rise and so on.
2) Gomorrah(series)- a crime drama centred around the city of Napoli. Very realistic in terms of modern way of trafficking drugs and the power struggle that ensues. I'd not recommend watching all 4 seasons at once cause you start seeing patterns... Watch a couple then a couple after a month or so... Again one of my top 10.
3) Babylon berlin- it's available on Netflix us..so maybe you could try with a vpn. It has 3 seasons(ongoing). The era in 1925-1929 Germany... The royalists(army) hold the Weimar republic(democracy) in contempt, the communists are getting Soviet support and there are the underdogs(Nazis) whom everybody believes are just thugs. In the midst of this is a war affected policeman trying to navigate through his past traumas trying to bring some justice..again my top 10.
4) gangs of london: I find it meh in terms of story and so on...but one of the best action scenes I have ever seen in a series. A certain episode is just one event(a classic episode). Watch it for Bollywood action style Gangland series with really cool action sequences. It's just one season but it's renewed for another.
5) Deutschland 83: there are three seasons 83,86 and 89(to released). The era is cold war divided Germany where a young boy from east Germany is sent as a spy to the western part of Germany. Really decent series with a nice soundtrack. Can't say about 86 since I haven't watched it.
Good luck finding them! Lemme know how did it go!

Into the Second season. Chose this one as i wanted some series that is relaxing and doesnt force you to binge watch and can watch it a couple of episodes a time, whenever in the mood, without any strain.

Recently started watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. If you like the Marvel (read Avengers) universe, you might like this. It's not great but just good enough to keep you hooked.

Recently started watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. If you like the Marvel (read Avengers) universe, you might like this. It's not great but just good enough to keep you hooked.
I respectfully disagree. This is one of my favorite shows and better than 95% of the shows going around. Let me know if your perception changes once you move forward.

I remember the time when we used to cringe and cringe the moment Doordarshan showed - Shastriya Sangeet. I used to abhor the "noise" these singers made. I used to get so irritated at the Natya Sangeets Or Marathi Natak (with their classical songs) DD used to show instead of the movies. Fast Forward to songs like - Ajahu Na Aaye Balamwa Sawan Beeta Jaaye , Aayo Kaha se Ghanshyam , Chupke Chupke Chal Ri Purvaiya, Ka Karoon Sajni Aaye na Balam , some Pancham Da's Raaga based gems like - Raina Beeti Jaaye, Beeti Na Bitayee Raina , Mere Naina Sawan Bhadon, Hamein Tumse Pyar Kitna, Roz Roz Aankhon Tale, Jaane Kya Baat Hai Neend Nahi Aati Badi, Aur Kya Ahede Wafa Hote Hain - I started appreciating read loving this kind of music. The pure, wholesome, unadulterated, unpolluted form of music. Where the art, artist and the clan and even instruments are revered respected and worshiped.

That made me watch Bandish Bandits. Skeptical at first during the first episode and hoping that actors like Naseeruddin Shah, Sheeba Chaddha etc., tarried me. And it was worth it. Not that I am that old :):), but having grown in the Doordarshan era where we watched movies like - Sparsh, Bhavni Bhavai, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro, Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyon Ata Hai, Katha, Mandi, Masoom - I trusted Naseeruddin Shah and truly this was a treat to watch. Since a lot has already been written about this serial and most of us have watched it, I won't go into detail. NS's acting prowess is displayed in the expression when he learns that Radhe is the Masked Man. No words said. But volumes spoken. Leave him, Atul and Sheeba out of the equation and the serial loses its sheen. Net, net - more watchable than the regular abuse laden shows.

PS - I thought the best lines were given to Kunal Roy Kapur (Arghya). My fav is - "Pressure itna hai ki meri G**d mein koyla dalo toh heere niklenge" :D:D:D

I remember the time when we used to cringe and cringe the moment Doordarshan showed - Shastriya Sangeet. I used to abhor the "noise" these singers made. I used to get so irritated at the Natya Sangeets Or Marathi Natak (with their classical songs) DD used to show instead of the movies. Fast Forward to songs like - Ajahu Na Aaye Balamwa Sawan Beeta Jaaye , Aayo Kaha se Ghanshyam , Chupke Chupke Chal Ri Purvaiya, Ka Karoon Sajni Aaye na Balam , some Pancham Da's Raaga based gems like - Raina Beeti Jaaye, Beeti Na Bitayee Raina , Mere Naina Sawan Bhadon, Hamein Tumse Pyar Kitna, Roz Roz Aankhon Tale, Jaane Kya Baat Hai Neend Nahi Aati Badi, Aur Kya Ahede Wafa Hote Hain - I started appreciating read loving this kind of music. The pure, wholesome, unadulterated, unpolluted form of music. Where the art, artist and the clan and even instruments are revered respected and worshiped.

Guess that happened to many/most of us. Taste for classical (anything, not just music) is acquired. It’s the timelessness (distilled essence) that starts appealing once we have ourselves circumnavigated through the gamut of enticing but ephemeral fashionables and come a full circle.

Also, glad that you persisted with the series and it paid off. In a way the season also developed like a khyal - with a slow aalap (that one needed to persist through if not enjoy), getting into the gat and ending in a drut in the last episode. I’d say whether planned or otherwise, I found the build-up matching the pacing of classical performance. But some of us used to crashing openings of popular music might have felt frustrated with the first couple of episodes and given up.

Guess that happened to many/most of us. Taste for classical (anything, not just music) is acquired. It’s the timelessness (distilled essence) that starts appealing once we have ourselves circumnavigated through the gamut of enticing but ephemeral fashionables and come a full circle.

Also, glad that you persisted with the series and it paid off. In a way the season also developed like a khyal - with a slow aalap (that one needed to persist through if not enjoy), getting into the gat and ending in a drut in the last episode. I’d say whether planned or otherwise, I found the build-up matching the pacing of classical performance. But some of us used to crashing openings of popular music might have felt frustrated with the first couple of episodes and given up.
Yes, its was really good that I persisted. The last song by Atul, the Virah song - it gave me goosebumps. I, like the audience in the episode, was just speechless!!
Nothing against the current crop of musicians or songs, but like its underlined in the series, there is a difference between a PERFORMER and a SINGER. And like how Tamanna agrees that she needs to learn music and "Auto Tune" is not the way, I feel sums it up nicely.

Iru Dhuruvam is a Tamil crime thriller series. I watched the first season. 9 episodes in the first season - its about finding a serial killer. Though the procedures for identifying the perp is relatively slow and ELI5 (explain like I'm 5) and the sidekick of the hero Nanda asks / murmurs absurd questions, it still is a relatively engaging watch. Episodes are short at about 20-25 minutes. Worth a one time watch for people who understand Tamil. Enough intrigue in the last episode to keep viewers want to watch season 2 (yet to come)

It is available on Sony Liv. (But that was not my source ;) )

Yes, its was really good that I persisted. The last song by Atul, the Virah song - it gave me goosebumps. I, like the audience in the episode, was just speechless!!
Nothing against the current crop of musicians or songs, but like its underlined in the series, there is a difference between a PERFORMER and a SINGER. And like how Tamanna agrees that she needs to learn music and "Auto Tune" is not the way, I feel sums it up nicely.
Abolutely! Virah is gem of a song when it comes to vocals. I was damn surprised with Shivam Mahadevan in the "Sajan Bin" song....awesome vocals. "Labh par aye" is also a great listen!

Ted Lasso on Apple TV+: An American football coach, played by Jason Sudeikis, is hired to manage an English Premier League club. If you can get past the absurdity of that premise, you'll be well-rewarded, IMO.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back