Fans of Television Series

The Circle (NF) - Its a reality show with a difference. No drama or ugly fights or manufactured love angles. It's as "real" as it can get. The reason - No one knows or can see who the other person is and every one has to play alone. All they have is the profile of the other person and that's it. Catfish or real, the contestant has to decide and play accordingly. Its like a real time social media. Least popular person is voted out each week, and the most popular contestants get to do it. The first season is by far the best and the most interesting. Like all other reality shows, there are multiple versions as well. A decent change if you have nothing else to watch.

Netflix

Netflix recommended it as one of the genre was Mystery.
Finished 1st Season , What absolute beauty , stunning location and camera work it has, just amazing, stunning landscape takes your breath-away.
Plot set in Shetland , This has 2 episodes/story to unfold the murder mystery. This series has been kept raw , no fancy stuff.
Story is good but slow(The Killing being one of my favourite is slower than this) , it grows on you slowly and builds the story around.
Casting and direction is good. Yes some time, I needed subtitle. One time watch is advisable. Please give it try.

The Killing , Line of Duty, Broadchurch and True detective(1st Season) had been my all time favourite murder mystery series( Please suggest any more good murder mysteries), Shetland is not near to it , but it has amazing camera work.
I have reviewed almost all those you have mentioned here and a few more. Also, I have provided suggestions as well. Please check my posts and let me know if you need more like these :) Marcella, River and if you can get your hands on - try Whitechapel as well are a few to begin with.

The Wire ( Disney+ )

I watched it years before. Yesterday I was reading about Idris Elba, I was surprised to find out that he was in this show. Back then Idris wasn't a mainstream actor. I highly recommend this to the fans of investigative crime thrillers.

A classic.
A pure tv material.

Slow boiling, gritty. And great performances from Michael Williams and Clarke Peters. This was one of the shows that brought me in to the realm of quality tv productions.

Such a gem. I see many here suggest slow paced crime thrillers. It isn't as slow as Ozark. But can take you to Baltimore in 30 minutes.

Netflix

Netflix recommended it as one of the genre was Mystery.
Finished 1st Season , What absolute beauty , stunning location and camera work it has, just amazing, stunning landscape takes your breath-away.
Plot set in Shetland , This has 2 episodes/story to unfold the murder mystery. This series has been kept raw , no fancy stuff.
Story is good but slow(The Killing being one of my favourite is slower than this) , it grows on you slowly and builds the story around.
Casting and direction is good. Yes some time, I needed subtitle. One time watch is advisable. Please give it try.

The Killing , Line of Duty, Broadchurch and True detective(1st Season) had been my all time favourite murder mystery series( Please suggest any more good murder mysteries), Shetland is not near to it , but it has amazing camera work.
Did you watch Unforgotten?

The Mentalist (Prime):

I know I am late to the party !! Started this a month back and enjoying this quirky detective series. So the main character is working as a consultant to the CBI (California bureau of investigation) who is very good with logcal reasoning. He was a con star before he joined the team as one of serial killers killed his family since his guy called out the serial killer on national TV. Since then, its his job to make sure killers are behind the bars.

Its a good light watch if you like suspense dramas. The star cast has acted well and Simon Baker has nailed his role of Patrick Jane. He has won some awards for this role.

I have also watched quite a few Netflix series since early last year and below is how I will rate these series.

Excellent - Money Heist, Marcela, The Valhalla Murders, Designated Survivor S1, Bodyguard, One of Us, Unbelievable, O.J Simpson, Stranger Things S1, Messiah, The Spy, Fauda, Sacred Games

Good - Occupied, Designated Survivor S2, The Crown S1, S2, Victim Number 8, The Sinner, Crime scene...Cecil Hotel, The Fall, Quantico, Cursed, Stranger Things S2

Average - Who Killed Sara, Perfume, Paranoid S1, Safe,

Poor - The Umbrella Academy

The Wire ( Disney+ )

I watched it years before. Yesterday I was reading about Idris Elba, I was surprised to find out that he was in this show. Back then Idris wasn't a mainstream actor. I highly recommend this to the fans of investigative crime thrillers.

A classic.
A pure tv material.

Slow boiling, gritty. And great performances from Michael Williams and Clarke Peters. This was one of the shows that brought me in to the realm of quality tv productions.

Such a gem. I see many here suggest slow paced crime thrillers. It isn't as slow as Ozark. But can take you to Baltimore in 30 minutes.

The Shield too... it's a shame they don't make serials like these now.

Last edited:
TV has changed a lot. People used to wait a week for an episode. The curiousity got them hooked. They don't wanna miss an episode or their co-worker or friend will spill the beans.

Now you can binge watch. Also they have huge budget. Yes, the quality has improved. But can't say the same about story telling. My option, of course.​

Now you can binge watch. Also they have huge budget. Yes, the quality has improved. But can't say the same about story telling. My option, of course.​
I see what you mean. Those of us in our forties and above have seen both sides, and the transition. Today we have the best of both worlds accessible to us. Yesterday I enjoyed watching ‘Mythic Quest’ on Apple TV+ and today morning I watched an episode of the old DD serial Mahanagar (with Vinod Nagpal, Reema Lagoo) on YouTube. Both are enjoyable in different ways.

Story telling was the central agenda of the TV serials back in the 80s and 90s and they did that well with the treasures of classic and modern literature at hand. Even today one sees some rare efforts such as ‘A Suitable Boy’ or ‘Ann with an E’. But it’s largely about big production now.

But can't say the same about story telling. My option, of course.
You are absolutely right. And taking a leaf from @SachinChavan's book, we found immense pleasure and contentment watching the low-budget movies and serials on DD. They created a long lasting impact. We still remember them as if we watched them yesterday. We saw actors and not mass-heroes. We even remember the advertisements and the jingles. And then there are the classic songs from yesteryears! Pure Gems! If you see today's movies you'll feel as if you are seeking some worth in a bin full of trash.

Rightly said @SachinChavan and @Mav3rick. Quality is subjective. To one it may be the right cast. To other the cinematography or the score.

Some compare the series with the book it is based on. Like Boardwalk Empire, The Game of Thrones, Orange Is The New Black Or The Queen's Gambit, to name a few.

Excellent adaptations though, from the choice of cast to story telling.

The Golden Era, yes those were, had to fight a very tough fight to just exist a season. No matter how good the plot is, or the acting is, they just go off air. Yes, they still have to fight. The industry is ruthless. But now you have a lot of platforms waiting for you. That wasn't the case even a decade before.

Some of the Indian productions are now catching up, too. Still not easy for them to take that leap of faith and produce something jaw dropping. No doubt they are talented. But a lot of compromises they need to make, for our audience are still maturing.

My only gripe is that I don't have enough time to watch. So much quality content and only 24 hours a day :confused:

Jupiter's Legacy (NF): Avengers+The Boys+The X-Men = Jupiter's Legacy on NF. Its about a bunch of old Superheroes passing on the torch to the new generation. Once we have this as a plot, there is bound to be difference of opinions, clash of egos, resistance to change etc. In here it is about abiding by the "code". I could've enjoyed this, if I hadn't read the news about this series
. NF canceled the series after its first season. The ratings are low, the scores are low and people have described it as a "slow motion" series, with cheap action and visual effects.

Let this one pass by as there are a lot of loose ends and unanswered questions.

Kfulim aka False Flag is an Israeli spy /drama/conspiracty thriller that has a very racy start to the first season.

S01: Five Israeli citizens, presumably undercover Mossad agents, have been caught on video kidnapping an Iranian government minister from his Moscow hotel room. The suspects — including a chemist, a preschool teacher and a bride on her wedding day — watch the fuzzy footage in disbelief and insist they weren’t in Russia and have no idea what’s going on. Who out of the five are being framed, by whom and for what purpose? This question is answered over eight fast-paced, highly entertaining episodes. The plot does seem to meander a bit in the middle episodes but still taut and full of suspense. This plot also may have drawn parallels from the 2010 assassination of a Hamas member. Thankfully (disappointingly sometimes?!) this show is more natural and does not have 'Jack Bauerish' heroics! There is a telling dialogue though! “The kidnappers did a clean job,” a Mossad operative says. “It wasn’t the Americans.”!

S02: A fierce explosion rocks the inauguration ceremony for the new oil pipeline between Israel and Turkey. At the investigation headquarters, the list of victims returns three names unaccounted for: a startup professional whose girlfriend works for the Ministry of Health; a tour guide, and a rig worker who studied marine engineering. Hunt begins to trace them. Are they innocent model citizens or terrorists? Their families' lives are shattered when they become the suspects of a terror attack. The story unfolds in 10 episodes and worth a binge! Taut story telling keeps the viewer engaged.

S03: ... wish there was more of this! Just two seasons:(:mad:

Language: Hebrew with English subtitles, Source: Downloaded. Supposed to be available on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon - but not for India I guess.
ps: it is being remade in English, with Uma Thurman in the lead for apple tv!

Guess, we'll have to wait for this. Sounds promising though. There is one more Israeli series on Netflix - Blackspace. I am yet to watch it. If someone has, please drop a review.
I saw couple of episodes and it was decent. It seems there won't be musical chair like situation where the whole star cast is shown suspected.

Yesterday it suddenly disappeared from my continue to watch list. Has it been taken off air?

Central Park: A Rare Animated Musical Series

46606222-10CB-4047-BF10-AA30EA00C1A8.jpeg

Is anybody else watching this series? Oh, I am loving it so much! While being a feel-good socio-family comedy in a lovably done cartoon format, with characters you start resonating with from the word go, what stands out further is it’s music! And not just background score mind you, it is a full-blown musical! Now how many other musical series have we watched? The expressive lyrics, the light but competent compositions and spirited singing - all add up to an experience that’s elevating! As audiophiles what more can one expect from a TV series? @moktan and other regulars of Apple TV+, do give it a try!

Bonus suggestion: Peanuts and comic lovers cannot miss ‘The Snoopy Show’ on Apple TV+

Tehran on Apple TV is one of the Most gripping tales I have seen of late. It is So Perfect that, I don't want to have a Season 2 ; which I fear, will be below my expectations.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back