Fans of Television Series

I found Tehran gripping too. High level espionage and intrigue notwithstanding, there are very human elements embedded in the plot — mirror image situations derived from family relationships, for example — that keep the plot engaging at every level.
I also watched CALLS. This wasn’t like anything I had watched before. It begins with a conversation between two long distance lovers. As they speak , their conversation is rendered into texts , animated typography, that come alive to convey the drama of the situation. There is nothing else on the screen except the texts , and patterns such as concentric circles that ripple out as a call is made much like the screen animations you get on Windows, fonts that blur and fade and get fuzzy and coalesce as calls drop , merge or become inaudible with the hum of static.
It’s like eavesdropping on the phone call chatter in the matrix of the network out there.
For me it was great , because I felt like I was listening to a radio drama — used to love those — and suddenly the sound box grill became a screen in which the scripts appeared as if by some kind of spooky magic.
The first episode was less than 20 minutes.

Time - a BBC 1 serial is getting some rave reviews. I'm not planning on watching it though it is available for download.

Central Park: A Rare Animated Musical Series

View attachment 57794

Is anybody else watching this series? Oh, I am loving it so much! While being a feel-good socio-family comedy in a lovably done cartoon format, with characters you start resonating with from the word go, what stands out further is it’s music! And not just background score mind you, it is a full-blown musical! Now how many other musical series have we watched? The expressive lyrics, the light but competent compositions and spirited singing - all add up to an experience that’s elevating! As audiophiles what more can one expect from a TV series? @moktan and other regulars of Apple TV+, do give it a try!

Bonus suggestion: Peanuts and comic lovers cannot miss ‘The Snoopy Show’ on Apple TV+
Thanks for the suggestion. I watched the first episode found it copacetic but am I enthused enough to want to continue watching it ? I am not so sure. The music and writing and the animation — very clean lines , cheerful and sunny and wholesome — are on top of the game. But I found the whole premise very politically correct , the tropes are for a want of a better word ‘woke’ and sanitised and the humour too sunny. The singing and the music— a little too overdone according to my opinion — is an acquired taste. But I didn’t find the humour of the first episode too compelling. But this just from someone who likes his cartoon humour dark and deadpan and still thinks Simpsons of the early days , the gold standard for adult animation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I watched the first episode found it copacetic but am I enthused enough to want to continue watching it ? I am not so sure. The music and writing and the animation — very clean lines , cheerful and sunny and wholesome — are on top of the game. But I found the whole premise very politically correct , the tropes are for a want of a better word ‘woke’ and sanitised and the humour too sunny. The singing and the music— a little too overdone according to my opinion — is an acquired taste. But I didn’t find the humour of the first episode too compelling. But this just from someone who likes his cartoon humour dark and deadpan and still thinks Simpsons of the early days , the gold standard for adult animation.
Hmm, I see what you mean. CP is sunny (apt description) and those looking for some darkness/shadow mightn’t like it. For me, I find shows like it or The Snoopy Show as a welcome change from/ balance with Mosquito Quest or Defending Jacob. Simpsons’ satire is epic. My main attraction to CP is the well done musical, though I also find the dialogues witty and (not) laughable :).

The Family Man - (APV): Continues from where it left off in S01. Manoj Bajpayee (as Shrikant Tiwari) steals the show along with Sharib Hashmi (as JK). But the highlight of Season 2 is undoubtedly Samantha Ruth Prabhu (as Rajelakshmi Chandran aka Raji). S02 also colors a lot of aspects of Shrikant's family life. Especially his struggle as an IT Professional, a job he unwillingly picks up to ensure he spends time with his family. The shades given to Priyamani's (as Suchi Iyer Tiwari) internal battles, given the absence of physical intimacy in her marriage and the unanswered infamous question "What happened in Lonavala?" is palpable. Her interactions with Sharad Kelkar (As Arvind) and her willingness to admit that there is something wrong and the subsequent counseling sessions, underlines that her fight with this struggle is real. And she knows she's losing it. The children have a bigger role to play (Just like how Paige is portrayed in The Americans). The son Atharva (played by Vedant Sinha) is a gem. He is a budding talent, while Dhriti (played by Aslesha Thakur) has shown some promise.

The first season we had J and K, this season we had LTTE and TGTE( a subject I would definitely research and read about) and now the plot has been already set for season 3 with NE in focus.

Whether we remember the characters or not, I am sure none of us would forget the now hugely famous "Sir Chellam", the omnipresent, omniscient, human google, retired NIA officer played by Udhayabanu Maheshwaran. He is creating waves in the social media and has his own fan base now. :)

A good series to watch.

The Family Man - (APV): Continues from where it left off in S01. Manoj Bajpayee (as Shrikant Tiwari) steals the show along with Sharib Hashmi (as JK). But the highlight of Season 2 is undoubtedly Samantha Ruth Prabhu (as Rajelakshmi Chandran aka Raji). S02 also colors a lot of aspects of Shrikant's family life. Especially his struggle as an IT Professional, a job he unwillingly picks up to ensure he spends time with his family. The shades given to Priyamani's (as Suchi Iyer Tiwari) internal battles, given the absence of physical intimacy in her marriage and the unanswered infamous question "What happened in Lonavala?" is palpable. Her interactions with Sharad Kelkar (As Arvind) and her willingness to admit that there is something wrong and the subsequent counseling sessions, underlines that her fight with this struggle is real. And she knows she's losing it. The children have a bigger role to play (Just like how Paige is portrayed in The Americans). The son Atharva (played by Vedant Sinha) is a gem. He is a budding talent, while Dhriti (played by Aslesha Thakur) has shown some promise.

The first season we had J and K, this season we had LTTE and TGTE( a subject I would definitely research and read about) and now the plot has been already set for season 3 with NE in focus.

Whether we remember the characters or not, I am sure none of us would forget the now hugely famous "Sir Chellam", the omnipresent, omniscient, human google, retired NIA officer played by Udhayabanu Maheshwaran. He is creating waves in the social media and has his own fan base now. :)

A good series to watch.
Well-written. The casting is very good this time. Especially the actors from South (I’d include the actor playing Muthu to the ones you mentioned), and Seema Biswas as the firebrand Bengali lady PM (an attempted clairvoyance/proposition?). I expected to see more of Shreya Dhanwanthary as Zoya - she is creating a niche in ‘professional’ roles - like in Scam 1992 - hopefully she’d return to the team in next season

Another pleasing aspect was how the story wasn’t made out to be just good vs bad guys - it touched upon the moral dilemmas of the TASC officers as well as looked at the terrorists as persons with their own backstories and vulnerabilities without glorifying their deeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
(an attempted clairvoyance/proposition?).
Well, what should I say now...LOL :D :D :D :D
Well-written. The casting is very good this time. Especially the actors from South (I’d include the actor playing Muthu to the ones you mentioned), and Seema Biswas as the firebrand Bengali lady PM (an attempted clairvoyance/proposition?). I expected to see more of Shreya Dhanwanthary as Zoya - she is creating a niche in ‘professional’ roles - like in Scam 1992 - hopefully she’d return to the team in next season

Another pleasing aspect was how the story wasn’t made out to be just good vs bad guys - it also touched upon the moral dilemmas of the TASC officers and looked at the terrorists as persons with their own back stories and vulnerabilities without glorifying their deeds.
I totally agree.

This is what makes such series' worth the watch. Your perspective in silo gives it more weight as a 9 part series. Where everything is taken into consideration, that includes, as you rightly mentioned - Zoya and Muthu. While the family is still the focus, the story, as you correctly mentioned does not deal with heroes vs the villains, rather shows that they are humans with the same stresses, weaknesses and strengths the common man has.

Yeah. A very good sequel.

There are protests in TN for allegedly showing the eelam fighters in bad light. Some prominent filmmakers are even asking people to boycott Amazon.

I don't think the makers insulted the Lankan tamil cause. It is a different view on a serious issue. One should try to accept it as creative freedom. After all it is just fiction.

Like in 'Fauda', the characters here also are facing a moral dilemma. So do the viewers.

Just started watching Dom on APV. Typical south american fare. Too many things happening at one time, the same fast paced dialogues, parallel stories, flashbacks entwined with the current plot, and add to it, quickly disappearing subs. Done with the the first episode. Will post my views once I complete it.

DOM (APV) : The lengths that a Father can go to do anything for his son so that he mends his ways and lives a normal life and the lengths that the son would go to shatter these dreams of his father is what DOM is all about.

As a father to a growing son, it hurts to watch this series. In all the episodes we see the father, Victor, working really hard and risking his life to do what is right and provide for his family. In the same series, we see the son Pedro doing all that he could, like snorting Cocaine as early as 9-10 years old. Ruining his life, and thus in the process ruining the lives of people who love him.

DOM makes us ponder upon the importance of parents' in their children's lives. It makes us think. As a man, its often the proverbial catch-22 situation - whether to work hard all the while to provide for the family or be at home in time to be a part of their growing years and not provide them the luxuries of life. Whatever the choice, he bears the consequences. DOM also touches heavily upon the relationship shared by Victor and Pedro, all the while inadvertently forcing me to picture the same healthy and friendly relationship that I share with my son. These scenes in few episodes poke your heart and leaves a warm feeling of love and bonding. Similarly, the scenes where Victor gets Pedro back from the hospital after OD'ing - where he sleeps besides him, bathes him, hugs him - are just heartbreaking. These scenes and one in particular where Victor just weeps and wipes his eyes when he first sees Pedro's sketch in the newspapers. Its just gut wrenching. DOM tells us the importance of family, values and the often neglected and ignored - friends' influence. Pedro had only one friend Lico(Ramon Francisco) and he was enough to accompany him downhill. He then makes other choices that compound and accelerate his slide.

From an acting perspective, Gabriel Leone as Pedro and towering above him in both stature, relation and acting Flávio Tolezani as Victor carry this entire series on their shoulders. Even the actors who played their younger versions are just superb. The casting director should be applauded the for casting Filipe Bragança as Jr. Victor and Guilherme Garcia, with that mop of curly hair and that dimple! as Jr. Pedro.

For me, DOM, was a depressing watch. The climax took me back a few years when I watched Charlie on his bike, heading towards the truck in SoA. Here Pedro on his bike, just like his Dad, faces a wall of Police cars and makes a decision. Devastating to say the least. The words at beginning and at the end of the serial would haunt me for some time- "A child can make you a hero in 3 words - Love You Dad!"

Last edited:
Watched Ted Lasso on Apple TV. Ted Lasso is an American football coach brought over to England to manage a floundering Premier League team. His batteries de cuisine of folksy American wisdom, optimism and unconventional people management skills bring unintended consequences to the fortunes of the club and the various people involved in it.

It’s a feel good serial made realistic by a generous peppering of typical British sleaze — tabloids , pints at pubs, one night stands and vulgar language , not to mention the caricatures of the angry but ageing football star , the abrasive prima donna, the rakish and philandering rich ex-club owner and even an Independent journalist who looks like a sketch straight out of Mad magazine.

Juno Temple excels in her role as an ex-model , ex-girlfriend , current- girlfriend and agony aunt.

Watched Ted Lasso on Apple TV. Ted Lasso is an American football coach brought over to England to manage a floundering Premier League team. His batteries de cuisine of folksy American wisdom, optimism and unconventional people management skills bring unintended consequences to the fortunes of the club and the various people involved in it.

It’s a feel good serial made realistic by a generous peppering of typical British sleaze — tabloids , pints at pubs, one night stands and vulgar language , not to mention the caricatures of the angry but ageing football star , the abrasive prima donna, the rakish and philandering rich ex-club owner and even an Independent journalist who looks like a sketch straight out of Mad magazine.

Juno Temple excels in her role as an ex-model , ex-girlfriend , current- girlfriend and agony aunt.
Was one of the first series I watched on Apple TV+. Interesting for sure, but started feeling hollow/cliched as it progressed. I love watching series based in England - ‘Trying’ on Apple TV+ is quintessential, but Ted Lasso wasn’t. The treatment felt more Americanised, the characters caricatured. Didn’t have to be so - the coach’s antecedence and ideology would have been better contrasted if the tone of the series was typical conservative British. But that’s just me.

Waiting for Apple TV+ to make some Indian content - given the overall sensibility and production values of their content, it could be an interesting proposition!

Watched Tehran recently.

It was such an underwhelming and frustrating experience. The Lead actor was a complete washout and her character and intelligence even more so. Never have I seen dumber and untrained agents and spies in any tv series or movies. Even I can make wiser decisions based on the movies and tv series I have seen. I was hoping I would like the series given it was the first one I watched on apple tv.

I would strongly urge others considering this to watch many other series which are much much better and save their time and money? You can go and watch "The Americans", it is on a different plane compared to this.

Watched Tehran recently.

It was such an underwhelming and frustrating experience. The Lead actor was a complete washout and her character and intelligence even more so. Never have I seen dumber and untrained agents and spies in any tv series or movies. Even I can make wiser decisions based on the movies and tv series I have seen. I was hoping I would like the series given it was the first one I watched on apple tv.

I would strongly urge others considering this to watch many other series which are much much better and save their time and money? You can go and watch "The Americans", it is on a different plane compared to this.
My impression of Tehran was different. I thought it was particularly good. The Matrix too had this premise of a subversive being co-opted into the fight against the system, kind of like the enemy of the enemy.
I thought it was particularly interesting to see the humanising portrayal of the vibrant , drug-addled , alternative culture of a place that one generally imagines as being populated by stern , religious zealots.
Thanks to Apple TV for making what apparently is an Israeli TV series available for a wider viewership.

Was one of the first series I watched on Apple TV+. Interesting for sure, but started feeling hollow/cliched as it progressed. I love watching series based in England - ‘Trying’ on Apple TV+ is quintessential, but Ted Lasso wasn’t. The treatment felt more Americanised, the characters caricatured. Didn’t have to be so - the coach’s antecedence and ideology would have been better contrasted if the tone of the series was typical conservative British. But that’s just me.

Waiting for Apple TV+ to make some Indian content - given the overall sensibility and production values of their content, it could be an interesting proposition!
Ted Lasso was watchable. Though not a TV show, watched Moneyball, a sports movie and it was very good.Reminded me of Rajasthan Royals in IPL early on.

Ted Lasso was watchable. Though not a TV show, watched Moneyball, a sports movie and it was very good.Reminded me of Rajasthan Royals in IPL early on.
Moneyball’s highly rated by critics - 87 metascore on IMDB. The manager in it had a strategy - using data Analytics to assemble a team within tight budget that could compete with the best. In Ted Lasso on the other hand, one doesn’t find much by way of the coach’s approach beyond ‘being nice’.

Watched Tehran recently.

The series isn’t about showcasing the brainy side of the agent - it doesn’t even attempt that. On the other hand, it’s about her inner dilemma, her personal struggle and her vulnerabilities. And there’s much more beyond the main character (refer Moktan’s reply).

Last edited by a moderator:
Moneyball’s highly rated by critics - 87 metascore on IMDB. The manager in it had a strategy - using data Analytics to assemble a team within tight budget that could compete with the best. In Ted Lasso on the other hand, one doesn’t find much by way of the coach’s approach beyond ‘being nice’.

The series isn’t about showcasing the brainy side of the agent - it doesn’t even attempt that. On the other hand, it’s about her inner dilemma, her personal struggle and her vulnerabilities. And there’s much more beyond the main character (refer Moktan’s reply).
Moneyball was interesting. Reminded me of some books I read — Fooled By Randomness and The Drunkard’s Walk. Don’t know which came earlier but I personally watched the flick after I read the books. The two events were unrelated but the theme kind of matched.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back