Final 5.2.4 HT setup - Suggestions welcome! Budget details inside

Divyam

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 5.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

Per my research, I have finalized the following:

1) Projector - JVC DLA-NX7 - Rs. 7,20,000 approx

2) Screen - Elite 4K Perforated Screen - SE150WH11-A 4K fixed frame 150 inch diagonal 16:9 - Rs. 80,000 approx

3) Receiver - Marantz SR 7013 - Rs. 1,35,000 approx

4) Sub woofers - SVS PB 2000 (2 sub woofers) - Rs. 90,000 each approx

5) Speakers L/C/R - Klipsch THX 8000 L - Rs. 90,000 each approx

6) Speakers Surrounds (Two) - Klipsch THX 8000 S - Rs. 70,000 each approx

7) Speakers Ceiling (for Atmos)(Four) - Klipsch PRO 16 RC - Rs. 23,000 each approx

Total Speaker cost for 9 speakers - Rs. 5,00,000 approx

8) Cabling - Audioquest - 50,000 approx

Final total cost - Rs. 16,60,000 Approx

I just wanted a sanity check to understand if all these parts work well together. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 5.2.4 system.

My primary aim is to control cost, My budget is upto Rs. 20 lakhs total but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

I am happy to provide any further details if required. Thanks in advance.

That is a FAT budget. Here are some pointers you may want to consider.
I do not see your 'source' for movies mentioned. Perhaps you already have a 4k BD player. Also do consider the option to go 1080p as that will drastically bring your budget down. Using a 4K projector for Full HD can not be justified.
As you are in Mumbai , you have a lot of choices to go and check out demos for home theaters. Klipsch brand is expensive in India, So do consider other options as well. Plenty of other brands that may be suitable for HT purpose.
And lastlly, consider hiring someone who knows how to setup dedicated Home theaters, so you are not shooting in the dark. HT requires room treatment , like diffuser's and absorbers, which can get expensive if you go the branded way. It would be wise to spend some time with dealers and talking to them before you make any decision. Also Inwall speakers ,especially the front LCR can be substituted for stand alone floor standing or Large bookshelf speakers. Installation of in-wall speakers should be meticulously planned out including laying cables and getting your power points in place.

I am sure other's will chime in with more recommendations, and good luck with your hunt.

You should consider a proper designer for that budget. Given your room dimensions you can consider a dedicated pre-power setup. How many rows are you planning to have? Budget for interiors, seating, acoustic treatment, lighting and automation control can be added.

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 5.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

Per my research, I have finalized the following:

1) Projector - JVC DLA-NX7 - Rs. 7,20,000 approx

2) Screen - Elite 4K Perforated Screen - SE150WH11-A 4K fixed frame 150 inch diagonal 16:9 - Rs. 80,000 approx

3) Receiver - Marantz SR 7013 - Rs. 1,35,000 approx

5) Speakers L/C/R - Klipsch THX 8000 L - Rs. 90,000 each approx

6) Speakers Surrounds (Two) - Klipsch THX 8000 S - Rs. 70,000 each approx

7) Speakers Ceiling (for Atmos)(Four) - Klipsch PRO 16 RC - Rs. 23,000 each approx

Total Speaker cost for 9 speakers - Rs. 5,00,000 approx

8) Cabling - Audioquest - 50,000 approx

Final total cost - Rs. 16,60,000 Approx

I just wanted a sanity check to understand if all these parts work well together. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 5.2.4 system.

My primary aim is to control cost, My budget is upto Rs. 20 lakhs total but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

I am happy to provide any further details if required. Thanks in advance.

Your projector choice is good and it seems like you are a videophile. As you are spending big money on projector.
Projector technology changes at a quick pace. So expect to upgrade your projector after around 5 years.
I hope your HT room colors will be dark to keep the black levels of the JVC intact.

Screen selection is good.

Using Poweramps for speakers would be better, specially with that budget. Use Poweramp at least for LCR.

Subwoofers- 4 subs placed correctly gives smooth bass everywhere in the room.
As you will be using this system for music and gaming sealed subs will perform better.

Surround speakers have dual Tweeters to decrease localisation but gaming needs precise localization for all speakers. So opt for single Tweeter speakers for surround if you are serious about gaming.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

My budget is upto Rs. 20 lakhs total but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

For such a budget and room layout, you should consider a 9.2 AVR with 11.2 pre-outs capable of 7.2.4 layout (or) a 9.2.4 (front wides) set-up capable with Marantz AVR 8805 Pre-Pro / Denon AVC 8500 and reduce the budget for speakers fairly.. I mean if you like Klipsch, choose a lower model from the same series..

Any reason you had limited it to 5.2.4 set-up?

Since the screen is anyways fixed frame, why not consider DIY Acoustic Transperant route.. DIY AT screen will not cost more than 15K to complete..

At-least 2 subs for good experience (or) 4 subs for even better bass response in the room..

4k is the new standard..
That is a FAT budget. Here are some pointers you may want to consider.
I do not see your 'source' for movies mentioned. Perhaps you already have a 4k BD player. Also do consider the option to go 1080p as that will drastically bring your budget down. Using a 4K projector for Full HD can not be justified.
As you are in Mumbai , you have a lot of choices to go and check out demos for home theaters. Klipsch brand is expensive in India, So do consider other options as well. Plenty of other brands that may be suitable for HT purpose.
And lastlly, consider hiring someone who knows how to setup dedicated Home theaters, so you are not shooting in the dark. HT requires room treatment , like diffuser's and absorbers, which can get expensive if you go the branded way. It would be wise to spend some time with dealers and talking to them before you make any decision. Also Inwall speakers ,especially the front LCR can be substituted for stand alone floor standing or Large bookshelf speakers. Installation of in-wall speakers should be meticulously planned out including laying cables and getting your power points in place.

I am sure other's will chime in with more recommendations, and good luck with your hunt.
When used properly i.e. screen size, seating, screen quality 4k projectors will give fantastic results. And hd content is upscaled on 4k projectors.

Subwoofer you can also check xtz 12.17 or the 12.17 edge and rythmik which falls in the 90k bracket.

Room & budget layouts both are good. But the shopping bag has few surprises.

1 Not a rupee awarded to acoustics?!?!

2. Klipsch are “happy” speakers. Movies will shine for sure, but a sad ghazal will rock as well. Lol they are that euphoric/shiny/happy. Pl check Dali Rubicon, B&W, Monitor Audio before you pull the trigger. You won’t regret.

3. You can as well contemplate pair of “towering” towers for music, while leaving Klipsch for HT needs.

4. Projector: JVC reputation is sublime. But there definitely are good players in market namely Sony, Benq, Epson, Optoma etc. At half the cost, you’d be compromising lil (say 5-10%). And watching at 20 feet distance, it’d be diff for one to notice.

5. Like elangoas said, go for DIY screen. I got one for my setup from those who makes for professional theatre. And cost was worth a smile. All you need is screen material, Carpenter & few hrs. What’s more, you can design panel etc etc for aesthetics pleasure, giving flexibility.

Last but not least, consult a professional, doesn’t mean dealer. If you meet a dealer n tell budget is Rs 16L, most (if not all) would swell it to 20+ by “successfully” convincing you. And pl remember law if diminishing returns - applies more in AV than otherwise.

My suggestion:
Anthem MRX 720, Marantz SR 7013 (if you’re stuck on AVR). Else, Pre from Marantz (supposedly best) + Amp.
Speakers: Dali, B&W, MA, XTZ (not known for movies)
Sub: At least Dual for your room. SVS or Arendal
Acoustic: Don’t spend fortune, but don’t leave untreated
Projector: Do more research

Good luck!

Room & budget layouts both are good. But the shopping bag has few surprises.

1 Not a rupee awarded to acoustics?!?!

2. Klipsch are “happy” speakers. Movies will shine for sure, but a sad ghazal will rock as well. Lol they are that euphoric/shiny/happy. Pl check Dali Rubicon, B&W, Monitor Audio before you pull the trigger. You won’t regret.

3. You can as well contemplate pair of “towering” towers for music, while leaving Klipsch for HT needs.

4. Projector: JVC reputation is sublime. But there definitely are good players in market namely Sony, Benq, Epson, Optoma etc. At half the cost, you’d be compromising lil (say 5-10%). And watching at 20 feet distance, it’d be diff for one to notice.

5. Like elangoas said, go for DIY screen. I got one for my setup from those who makes for professional theatre. And cost was worth a smile. All you need is screen material, Carpenter & few hrs. What’s more, you can design panel etc etc for aesthetics pleasure, giving flexibility.

Last but not least, consult a professional, doesn’t mean dealer. If you meet a dealer n tell budget is Rs 16L, most (if not all) would swell it to 20+ by “successfully” convincing you. And pl remember law if diminishing returns - applies more in AV than otherwise.

My suggestion:
Anthem MRX 720, Marantz SR 7013 (if you’re stuck on AVR). Else, Pre from Marantz (supposedly best) + Amp.
Speakers: Dali, B&W, MA, XTZ (not known for movies)
Sub: At least Dual for your room. SVS or Arendal
Acoustic: Don’t spend fortune, but don’t leave untreated
Projector: Do more research

Good luck!
Very well said!!
Specially about projector and acoustics.
And av processor from Yamaha are better for the money.

Without good integration the system will not sound as it can with proper integration.

Right now I'm doing a HT of similar budget for a client near Delhi.
He is true about dealers pushing products. One dealer suggest ohm speakers for his HT.

I will be THX level 2 certified within 2-3 weeks.
I'm a doctor but have done THX out of passion :)

Soon you’ll be called Dr AV :)

Jokes aside, I do feel he focused more on products on standalone basis, than an “integrated solution” per se. For ex: get best guitar & guitarist, drum/drummer, but if composer/composition isn’t prolific, it won’t sound the way one wanted it.

Likewise, it’s not speaker would play standalone nor would the projector be. It’s an “orchestra” and integration is the key.

Best thing going in his favour is not just the budget but space at disposal. I must have invested upwards 20L, but space was an issue after relocating to Mum from Del. He got good dedicated space & in that budget should get a cracking AV solution.

OP: Add AudioSolution speaker to list. It’s a Lithuanian brand, but like most European (small country) brand like Dali or Genelec, AS dazzles. Ever since I heard them (3 years back), still can’t forget THAT signature sound.

Good luck

Thank you for all the inputs. I was thinking of finalizing the products as below:

I just wanted to do a sanity check before placing the order. Do let me know if all the components are good and at a competitive price.

ProjectorJVC DLA NX7720,000
ScreenElite 4K Perforated Screen - SE150WH11-A4k fixed frame 150inch diagonal 16:1981,148
ReceiverAnthem MRX 1120290,000
Woofers (2)SVS PB 3000166,604
Speakers LCRProcella P6135,000
Speakers Surrounds (4)Procella P565,000
Speakers Atmos (4)Paradigm CI HOME H65A Angled In Ceiling Height Speakers18,000

The final cost for all the above is 20 lacs approx. I have the following doubts:

1) The dealer is recommending a Sim2 Domino 4 projector, which he is ready to give for 8 lacs. Is that a good option? I have never heard of this brand.

2) For the receiver, if I go for a Marantz 7013 and an Emotiva 2 channel power amp combo, instead of the MRX 1120, I can save around 80k. But the MRX has Anthem Room Correction which is way better than the Auddessy? Is it worth it?

3) Other option is go for NAD T 777 v3 + 4 channel power amp which will cost me around 3.2 lacs total. Now the NAD has Dirac Live which is even better than Anthem Room Correction, I have heard. Is it worth it?

4) For Woofers, will a comparable XTZ be better than the SVS?

5) For speakers LCR, one option is the Klipsch 8000L THX series. I demoed them and found them to be a bit harsher than the Procella's. Should I reconsider or go for the Procella's, since it is also not a very well known brand to me.

6) Finally for the screen, the dealer is recommending Screen Research 149" Diagonal 16:9 Format Screen (ClearPix 4K AT Fabric) (10mm Bezel), but it is at a whopping cost of 4 lacs! Is that worth it?

Thank you everyone for the help!

Thank you for all the inputs. I was thinking of finalizing the products as below:

I just wanted to do a sanity check before placing the order. Do let me know if all the components are good and at a competitive price.

ProjectorJVC DLA NX7720,000
ScreenElite 4K Perforated Screen - SE150WH11-A4k fixed frame 150inch diagonal 16:1981,148
ReceiverAnthem MRX 1120290,000
Woofers (2)SVS PB 3000166,604
Speakers LCRProcella P6135,000
Speakers Surrounds (4)Procella P565,000
Speakers Atmos (4)Paradigm CI HOME H65A Angled In Ceiling Height Speakers18,000

4) For Woofers, will a comparable XTZ be better than the SVS?
Dual PB 3000 for just 166,604 is an amazing offer? The PB 2000 itself sells for 90K plus. And coming to your question svs vs xtz i think compared to pb 1000 and 2000 the xtz wins. More power and calibration options. If you plan for receiver and a amp for a budget of 3L plus why not plan for a processor and amp combo which is any day better then an AVR

Dual PB 3000 for just 166,604 is an amazing offer? The PB 2000 itself sells for 90K plus. And coming to your question svs vs xtz i think compared to pb 1000 and 2000 the xtz wins. More power and calibration options. If you plan for receiver and a amp for a budget of 3L plus why not plan for a processor and amp combo which is any day better then an AVR

Sorry the price was per sub for the SVS :p

Will I get a good separate Pre amp and power amp for 11 channels in 3 lacs? if so, which brand would you recommend? I haven't looked at separates at all.

Sorry the price was per sub for the SVS :p

Will I get a good separate Pre amp and power amp for 11 channels in 3 lacs? if so, which brand would you recommend? I haven't looked at separates at all.
Well definitely it will cost you more then 3L. Yamaha has pre and pro combo yamaha cx-a5200 11.2 processor and Yamaha MX-A5200 11.2 power amplifier.Both has an mrp around 2.2-2.5 L. If you can get a discount of 10-15% you can get them for around 4L. Similarly you have in Emotiva and Marantz as well. If you go for XTZ or rythmik over the svs pb 3000 you can save a lakh and use it for separates. Just my suggestion. I just think its fair you go for separates for your budget

Well definitely it will cost you more then 3L. Yamaha has pre and pro combo yamaha cx-a5200 11.2 processor and Yamaha MX-A5200 11.2 power amplifier.Both has an mrp around 2.2-2.5 L. If you can get a discount of 10-15% you can get them for around 4L. Similarly you have in Emotiva and Marantz as well. If you go for XTZ or rythmik over the svs pb 3000 you can save a lakh and use it for separates. Just my suggestion. I just think its fair you go for separates for your budget

Ah. I see. Let me check out the 3 brands for seperates then. More work to do!

I would love to check out the XTZ and Rythmik. Do you know of any dealer/contact in Mumbai that carries these brands? I would want a demo.

SVS I had purely selected based on online research.

Ah. I see. Let me check out the 3 brands for seperates then. More work to do!

I would love to check out the XTZ and Rythmik. Do you know of any dealer/contact in Mumbai that carries these brands? I would want a demo.

SVS I had purely selected based on online research.
Surround Swar chennai are the dealers for xtz. Check with them if they have any dealers in mumbai. Rythmik Prosonic bangalore and Avenuesound may be able to help you out

1. Anthem MRX 1120 is a cracker, in AVR ofc. But you can definitely think on lines of separates if you have space/budget - Puritans swear by it. This way, you can upgrade pre-pro (electronics), while nothing much changes with amp over time (per se). I think, separates are better way given how quick new tech (Dolby, DTS, Auro, and now Alexa, Google etc) are getting upgraded and/or integrated in electronics. Gives you flexibility.

Paradigm Atmos should be good. As for Procella, haven’t heard. As pointed before, auditioned AudioSolutions speakers (Lithuanian), but as they ain’t mainstream drifted - diff to get spare, service, resale etc. You should definitely try XTZ & Dali Rubicons.
PS: Vikram Jain - 9967553013 (deals in XTZ)

For Screen, can try DIY after procuring material of choice, test ALR screen as well. Scan Chinese market as they make some of the best screens.

1. Anthem MRX 1120 is a cracker, in AVR ofc. But you can definitely think on lines of separates if you have space/budget - Puritans swear by it. This way, you can upgrade pre-pro (electronics), while nothing much changes with amp over time (per se). I think, separates are better way given how quick new tech (Dolby, DTS, Auro, and now Alexa, Google etc) are getting upgraded and/or integrated in electronics. Gives you flexibility.

Paradigm Atmos should be good. As for Procella, haven’t heard. As pointed before, auditioned AudioSolutions speakers (Lithuanian), but as they ain’t mainstream drifted - diff to get spare, service, resale etc. You should definitely try XTZ & Dali Rubicons.
PS: Vikram Jain - 9967553013 (deals in XTZ)

For Screen, can try DIY after procuring material of choice, test ALR screen as well. Scan Chinese market as they make some of the best screens.

Totally agreed on your point about separates. Let me look into it.

I'll give the Dali speakers a listen to. Thank you for the contact for XTZ.

For screens, I'll have to research more. I am unaware of how much value an expensive screen adds, considering I am getting them for 70k all the way upto 5 lacs.

If separates, many hi-end enthusiasts swear by Marantz. Supposedly when it comes to electronics Japanese Marantz is a trusted/proven lieutenant. For Amp, you can look for suitable partner.

I think you’re worrying on Screen a lil too much. Unless there’s significant improvement (20% +), you can go via DIY route as well. Unless you can’t get same gain, ambient light rejection feature in local procurement, then go with best brand (not 5Lac one surely).

I got mine (material) from pro-cinema installer in Mumbai. Gives more flexibility to aesthetics (design panels, back wall etc the way you want).

Good luck!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back