Flipkart Vinyl purchases and suggestions

tek

Hi Guys

I wanted to start this thread, basically because Flipkart has become one of the main sources now for buying new and imported records. However, when you try to browse the "Vinyl LPs" section, the listings are quite limited. To find the really good stuff on there, you have to use the Search Tab.

So I was hoping that we can list some of our own finds on the site and maybe help to turn other listeners onto new stuff that they too can easily acquire. It would be cool to see what some of you guys have purchased on the site, and any recommendations as well!

Here's my recent purchases to start things off:

Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones and Mule Variations (2 great albums... been getting into Waits a lot recently, and these two albums are quite unique. His grisly voice takes getting used to, but the man really is a genius, and still going strong today!)

Mad River - s/t (this is a reissue on the Sundazed label. Never heard of it before but bought on a whim.. very cool 60s psychedelic rock from the San Francisco scene. Amazing pressing as is the case with most Sundazed. Will be buying more from this label soon!)

Echo and the Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here (MFSL vinyl... however I have not yet received it so can't comment.. there seems to be a delay in shipment, so fingers crossed this arrives soon!)

Hi Tek,

Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall - a stone classic from the alt. country-rock scene of the early 90s. 180 gms vinyl.

Jayhawks - Tomorrow the green grass - their next best LP. Ordered it this morning.

Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues, and
Magic Sam - West side soul - Two essential blues LPs on the original Delmark label from Chicago.

Johnny Adams - sings Doc Pomus - Great New Orleans blues singer. I have an 80s pressing of his ' A room with a view of the blues' which is superb. Awaiting delivery.

Also picked up:
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
Charles Mingus - At the Bohemia
Bob Dylan - Live at Brandeis Univ. 1963
Shelby Lynne - Just a little lovin'
Anne Briggs - Nottinghamshire Tales.

strongly recommended, all.

regards,

and i thought the clicking LPs would list all the records available!!

ive bought two records till now,
Are you experienced - Hendrix
The Clash - Live at Shea stadium

awesome thread. thanks for starting

@G401fan - Thanks for the recommendations! I've been eyeing those Jayhawks reissues for a while now.. esp Town Hall... will add those to my Wishlist :) Will also check out the other stuff you listed on there..those Blues ones sound interesting.. might be a good starting point for me!

@charanbee - thanks for adding to the list! I hope more people add their recommendations as well. Do you know which reissue of the Hendrix you got? Was it the Back to Black version, or another one? And how is the Clash live LP?

The hendrix was a 2010 pressing double side LP. The whole package was excellent, with photos of lyrics handwritten by Jimi and other unseen photos inside the cover...
The Clash seemed a little old, i think its been lying around for a while, not many people know about The Clash. Musicwise obviously both records are brilliant...
The Clash especially is incredible as it was recorded live

The Clash seemed a little old, i think its been lying around for a while

Funny, my friend who purchased a Dire Straits LP from FK had the same feeling. He sent the original back because it was scratched and was skipping but even the replacement was old and dusty.

Funny, my friend who purchased a Dire Straits LP from FK had the same feeling. He sent the original back because it was scratched and was skipping but even the replacement was old and dusty.

Well.. maybe the flipkart owner is getting rid of his personal collection or something. Luckily my Clash record wasnt scratched, only the cover looked old and worn out in a few places.

Here are a few other finds,

The Queen is Dead - The Smiths - next on my wishlist
Elephant, De Stijl - The White Stripes
Fun House - Iggy Pop and the Stooges
Radiohead - The bends and some other albums too, no problem finding bands like Radiohead or Coldplay
and the one i ordered today,
Never Mind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols :eek:hyeah:

Hope that dusnt come worn out or worse scratched.

Last edited:
Hi friends,

any suggestions of online purchase of vinyl apart from flipkart.com ??

also any suggestions for purchase of used records and NAD phono stage amplifier at hyderabad ??

regards

Tanoj

Whats up with Flipkart of late? I had about 50-60 records on my wishlist (they were all in stock) and I just checked it in the last week and ALL of them are showing as Out of Stock. I find it hard to believe they all sold out, so I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with FK's supplier? Any ideas?

Whats up with Flipkart of late? I had about 50-60 records on my wishlist (they were all in stock) and I just checked it in the last week and ALL of them are showing as Out of Stock. I find it hard to believe they all sold out, so I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with FK's supplier? Any ideas?

Observed the same. I really hope its a temporary thing, maybe something do with the economy. I find it much more comfortable ordering imported editions from flipkart rather than amazon and the likes.

If I can no longer buy imported vinyl on FK I don't think I will use their service anymore, because that's the only thing I use it for and has been great so far! Very sad if this is a permanent thing.

try using discogs.com
huge quantity and you can also look for quality
plus after shipping and everything it doesnt come too expensive
i buy from the site atleast once a fortnight
plus i have also bought loads from FK. never found any issues

manav - will check the site u have given and give it a shot

Who else is mourning the sudden loss of vinyl on Flipkart? It's been a month since all their vinyl suddenly went "out of stock" overnight. I was wondering if anyone heard any buzzing about what happened over there? Did their tie ups end? From what it looks like, they have a few stocks left of stuff that people had ordered but then must have cancelled the order before shipping so it is lying in their warehouse. But once those run out, it doesn't seem like they will be having much vinyl to sell (other than stuff that is avaiable from places like landmark and rhythm house). The real joy of FK was the fact you could order any currently in print vinyl from anywhere in the world for a very competitive rate and good service. I guess now the only option is Amazon UK with free Super Saver Shipping, but that is still pricier than FK. :(

Back to eBay I go!

I think Flipkart had an arrangement with Amazon-US for their vinyl. I used to check for certain titles on both sites and found the prices to be similar - with some room for Flipkart's margin. Also, if an LP was Out of stock on Flipkart, such was the status on Amazon as well. The prices recently went crazy thanks to the rupee-dollar exchange rate surge. Now, out of 27000+ titles, only 102 are in stock. My conclusion: the Amazon deal may have fallen through, perhaps on account of Amazon's own plans to come into India directly. Once that happens, we should be getting vinyl at rates lower than Flipkart's, with a bit of luck.

You can check Musicstack

I am selling my collection if interested mostly classic rock and roll from 60s - 80s

Claton, rolling stones, neil young , beatles and few others

I think Flipkart had an arrangement with Amazon-US for their vinyl. I used to check for certain titles on both sites and found the prices to be similar - with some room for Flipkart's margin. Also, if an LP was Out of stock on Flipkart, such was the status on Amazon as well. The prices recently went crazy thanks to the rupee-dollar exchange rate surge. Now, out of 27000+ titles, only 102 are in stock. My conclusion: the Amazon deal may have fallen through, perhaps on account of Amazon's own plans to come into India directly. Once that happens, we should be getting vinyl at rates lower than Flipkart's, with a bit of luck.

Yes, Amazon has started out on their own in India through junglee.com. And the vinyl selection is pretty huge too. Check it out.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back