Gerrard 301 restoration

EzD

Hi everyone! Im based and Goa and recently picked up a Gerrard 301and an SME3009 tone arm. Not knowing much about this I had a restorer quote about 50k for restoration/ service along with making of the plinth ( excluding magerial). i seek your guidance on this, is it a reasonable estimate and what are the options. Is there anyway it could be done at a better price? Am attaching herewith some images for your reference.

Many thanks,

Ez

Attachments

• 20190817_105757.jpg
    20190817_105757.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190817_105748.jpg
    20190817_105748.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20190817_105723.jpg
    20190817_105723.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190817_105715.jpg
    20190817_105715.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190817_105709.jpg
    20190817_105709.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190817_105634.jpg
    20190817_105634.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190817_105629.jpg
    20190817_105629.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 80
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Moving this to the Phono/TurnTables Forum.
Good luck with your tonearm repair - I am sure our forum members will help you get the info you need.

Regards

I am no expert but I will have a go.

301 is much desired turntable. When you want top notch performance upgrades costs are high. So much depends on personal affordability. The 'imported' upgrade bearing could cost anything between 40,000/- to 60,000/- A friend here had upgraded german bearing I think.

The three main parts Motor, Idler and bearing needs to be in good condition. These turntables were made to run contineously for days. So I doubt if the original parts need replacemet. Just cleaning and lubricating them will do. The person who quoted you 50,000 ask him 'in details' what he would do. Even expert restorers of UK "Audio Grail" had some bad feedback from clients. (I am talking about 4 to 5 years back) If you personally want to do it please take care of toxic oxidized cadmium plating of linkages (Yellow metal plate pieces) below the turntable. There is lot of information on servicing motor, idler and spindle. Meanwhile check the following.
1) Is the idler wheel rubber supple/soft or hardened ?
2) put the platter on the turntable rotates it. Is it free moving? Put your thumbs on periphery of the platter and press them alternatively to see if there is any play (movement).
3) Is motor silent ?
4) Do not run the turntable for extended period without cleaning and lubricating motor and spindle.
These are noob suggestion. I would recommend other expert's advice who has personally done these things.
Regards

As Hiten said, check the motor, bearings and idler wheel. There’s not much else that can go wrong. The SME arm seems (from your photos) to need the anti-skate rod and weight, but that’s readily found on eBay or from online sellers.

The schematic of the plinth cut-out is available from sites like vinylengine.com. Download it and print it to scale. A carpenter can make a simple box plinth using teak wood sides and plywood top for less than Rs.5000. That’s all you may need to spend, assuming everything else is fine. Exotic plinths are expensive, and may not give much sonic benefit. You can do the rest yourself. There are plenty of online links giving full details, with pictures, for DIY restoration. Trust me, it’s easy, even for a newbie.

Once in full working condition, it will last forever, given a motor/main bearing lubrication once a year.

the beauty of a Garrard turntable (any model) is that with some simple work, it will get up and run.

having played around with all these decks for a long long time, I can tell you for sure that investing in expensive 'expert' resto jobs is a complete waste of money and time (especially if you've not paid the big bucks and bought a pro restored Garrard already)

my 2 cents (as always) is:

(1) If you want to run a vintage turntable, you've just to learn how to service it, repair it and even take it a part and put it back. If you can go further, you can even learn to get components rebuilt
(2) Garrard turntables (all models) are very well built machines. They will seldom breakdown unless really abused. Unlike most other mech equipment, a Garrard turntable which is stored away for decades, can still be made to run with some work and spares. Once you have a running Garrard, all that is required is some regular application of simple sewing machine oil (again experts will talk about all kinds of oils but sewing machine oil is simple and the best)
(3) For a start, the turntable has a mounting top plate, some levers with springs, a platter which rests on the bearing assembly, a motor assembly and its related electrical wiring and a rubber idler wheel that engages with the motor pulley and the inner side of the platter, that's about it. So its actually very easy to service if you have nimble fingers, a steady but strong hand and more importantly, some basic tools.
(4) Never go for exotic restos first up. There are the basics (as mentioned in the posts above) that need to be done, just do these. The fancy stuff can come later once the turntable is up and running. Its only then when you'll be able to leverage the "finer aspects" of these enhancements.
(5) There are many opinions when it comes to plinths. Some prefer the SME type which is essentially a hollow box with the mounting board resting on halves of inverted golf balls, then there is the hollow box with the turntable mounted with its traditional spring suspension and then there is the multilayered plinth. The multilayered plinth absorbs almost all the vibrations and gives you a smooth sounding deck. The SME type plinth is also not bad but i thought my turntables sounded quite thin with this plinth. It actually sounded like my turntable deck was not mounted in a plinth, just made to balance on some books and made to play. The old school spring suspension with a hollow box sounded the best to my ears but there were issues with rumble and feedback. The genre of music you'd listen to also needs to be considered in my opinion
(6) SME tonearm - this is the tricky part. Lesson-1 which I learnt very fast, always aim to get a NOS SME tonearm. Everything else out there tends to have some issue or the other, with them. Now, don't get disheartened by this statement. A tonearm is also a simple device but its the precision that brings out the performance. There are lots of resources on SME tonearms which can guide you. Personally I tried looking these up and making adjustments myself, and they worked almost all the time. But my subconscious mind was always prompting me to go the route of a new piece and so I did :) An important part of servicing a SME tonearm is to use authentic spares (which are easily available but pricey). If you don't want to take a risk with it, you can actually send the tonearm to SME and get it serviced (which is as good as buying a new one, cost wise as well :) )

All the very best!!

Haven’t seen Sir Garrard 301 pop up in a while in this forum. Lovely to see one. Congratulations and you’ve gotten enough advice above from whom I call Gurus of TTs and specifically Garrards.

Cheers

EzD,
an itsy-bitsy vague hint that you have read the thread would be appreciated.

EzD,
an itsy-bitsy vague hint that you have read the thread would be appreciated.

Not likely, Hiten! The OP should read the recent thread (now closed for further posts) about the lack of basic good manners on this forum. Too much sense of entitlement. Not even an acknowledgment. Best not waste our time, and hard earned expertise on such posts.

Not likely, Hiten! The OP should read the recent thread (now closed for further posts) about the lack of basic good manners on this forum. Too much sense of entitlement. Not even an acknowledgment. Best not waste our time, and hard earned expertise on such posts.
Hi, as per the time stamp, OP hasn't logged in after the first post. So don't get disheartened, please keep posting :)

Sandeep,
we are not disheartened. We are cool with this. Thing is this is not the first time. Besides being a coutesy such things help others too. What process the individual took and what was the result is for everybodys benefit. personally actually even if not acknowledged a thread such as this bought to some good conclusion / some new upgrades / some individual thoughts implemented if shared I would be most happy.

But right now I feel like this
:D:p :D

I guess best would be to wait for few days and then reply, less some genuine interest gets unanswered.
Best Regards.

Dear Hiten, Sandeep, Nikhil, Reuben, 401Fan and Record player,
Thanks a lot for your generous advice and time, I hadnt logged in since I wasnt sure my membership had been accepted. I also did email Reuben personally since I came across his email on one of the threads. Thanks a lot!
Sincere apologies for the delay in response. I am very excited to recieve so many positive thoughts on the resto and am looking forward to this.
I will follow your advice and get started on the basics immediately. I have a few more questions. A. What sort of tools and electrical testing equipment one would require for the job. B.is it possible to get hold of a manual that one could print and refer to while work on this?.
C. Which would be any appropriate not to expensive cartridge for the SME that would enable me to test the TT.

EzD,
No need for apologies. Just do give updates when you have time and do tell us when you are finished. Pictures of restoration would be helpful to others.
As for tools If you are skillfull with restoration go along and buy whatever is required whenever is required. Patience is a virtue dont be in a hurry and damage original parts. Take help if possible from knowledgeable people near you. As far as I know there are no manuals but lots of info about restoration on internet. For a start even a cheap cartridge will do (Use inexpensive records to test) All the best.
regards,

I have a few more questions. A. What sort of tools and electrical testing equipment one would require for the job. B.is it possible to get hold of a manual that one could print and refer to while work on this?.
C. Which would be any appropriate not to expensive cartridge for the SME that would enable me to test the TT.

Tools: basic set of screw drivers, nose and combination pliers, small wrenches. Cleaning fluids, oil and grease if you plan on opening up the spindle bearing and motor. Also get yourself a spirit level from a hardware store. It is essential that the platter of a TT is perfectly level. Invest in a cheap digital multimeter - always useful to have one around. Strobe to check and calibrate speed (register yourself at vinylengine as someone had already suggested and download printable strobe and user manual for your TT). I hope your arm is in a good shape?

Cartridge: I would recommend the Nagaoka MP110. About $125. Or buy from the Indian dealer in Goa. Beats anything I've heard in that price range.

If you post regular updates with pics, we can definitely guide you. The 301 is a simple machine and can be easily serviced or restored.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back