Good news for vinyl Lovers

Devdas is on Universal. At this point i do not think they are interested in vinyl. Ditto for Tips and Venus releases. So unlikely you will get Taal, Dil Se, Bombay, Khamoshi, Devdas, etc on vinyl. The problem is vinyl is not selling. So there is very little interest at Indian music companies end to release titles.

many a times I have heard of talks about rare bollywood records, and most of them I have found are not only easily available but too cheap to talk about

now this is one of a few rare LP, in India after long wait one can get this but surely he has to spend > 8K,

Bollywood L.P. -PANCHAM'S- BHOOT BUNGLA - ANGEL- NEAR MINT | eBay

I don't know who these guys are who buy records paying at least 4-5 times
of what LPs worth, most of ebay stuff are open day light robbery, specially a few people who had no idea about records 10 years back, seeing the opportunity selling records at hefty prices. I have no issue for that but it gives me pain to see those record sellers who have been doing this for 3-4 decades are struggling to put up a decent shop. I personally know couple of these guys whose knowledge on record is amazing, and they never try to rob a enthusiast, and they have a share in my burning desire to buy records in madness

I still buy new record at 50/-, 100/- , 200/-, 400/-, 500/-, 800/-, 1200/- and so on. If one surveys most of the celebrated, hit, popular and wonderful OSTs of yesterday starting from PYASA to GUIDE to MASOOM, they are available at < 300/ in good condition, then why at all we entertain this internet service, yes one may have to buy LP/EPs from internet only if he is looking for a rarest piece, foreign pressing, something only seen in decades.....but $1200 for a LP which is of $200 worth!!!!

Anyway my experience of buying records from internet have been mixed, I got a few rare record in sealed condition at a price which is still a dream in India, but 10 out of 2000 is too small a number, still those roadside record shops are the best place to dig for gems. I have always felt that something decent should have done for those guys, they are the people because of whom we still get to listen to this wonderful analog media, and not companies who manufactures them dubiously and price them atrociously!!!!

happy hunting
Arnab

The problem is vinyl is not selling. So there is very little interest at Indian music companies end to release titles.

Hi Prem,
that's sad to hear. Since RPG and Sony has taken the plunge and coming out with regular titles they can think of buying vinyl rights from other music companies. Lets hope that something happens and eventually these titles get released.
Thanks.

Let's hope they have a good list of artists and albums. 400+ records and counting..
---------------------------------------------
Emotiva UMC-1,Emotiva XPA-5
Sony HX 800 40 3D HD LED
Sony BDP S470
Pioneer DV 310
TC 750 LC-Phono pre amp
Thorens TD 190-2 Turntable
Emotiva ERM 6.3 ( L,C,R),Emotiva ERD-1 Surrounds, Emotiva Sub 12
Emotiva X series XLR, Coaxials, RCA and speaker cables
Monster THX Surround cables

Hi Mahiruha

I do not know how many more titles will Sony release. They have a very small catalogue in Hindi. They will not release other music companies titles since IPR does not belong to them and they are unlikely to be interested in buying vinyl rights since their own titles are not doing too well.

dear all, if i get the lps for say 250 per piece, i d rather go for almost all the titles that i dont already possess. however at 700+ inr i have to be selective about the titles i d get. i wont buy an lp title which i ve always heard tooo long on other media. maybe kailasa would be an exception but for other titles like say jodha akbar, i would skip at 700/- inr. however if it was available for 2-3hundred i d have bought it for collections sake. in my opinion companies should stop seeing this as a profit making exercise instead take it as an image building exercise that promotes listeners to buy music. you cant bank on existing analog listeners to lap up each and every lp that you produce. you better develop the market.
at a time when even a rs 150 cds aren t going off the shelf that fast or in that high numbers, you definitely should consider pricing of lps.
p.s. it seems that tees maar khan lp being the highest seller was a fad after all.

Hi Entsurgeon

Cost of manufacture of a cd including packaging is about Rs 10. So it can be sold for as little as RS 45 and there are some profits to be made. In case of a lp, they are all pressed abroad. Hence cost of manufacture is high. Add to it the import duty and other taxes and the dealer margin, its kind of very difficult to sell it for less than 600-700.

Hi Santhosh

Will forward your request to Sony Music

sony should get us michael jacksons dangerous and history lps. if you forward my request to them, dont forget to pay them an advance of rs 1k right away. we can settle our accounts between ourself later.
i am so pissed to see them retailing for 100$ upwards which is costly by imported lp standards too.
and i dont believe that lps would cost 700 per piece. 7 years back , one yashraj films sold 3 lp sets for 300 rs. to bring down the costs many things like cover arts etc could be budgeted under other headers(promotions) and lps could be marketed via internet and prebooking with barely a few chains in malls stocking em with low margins as they push your lifestyle store image upwards. what i know is that in lp era, music rights cost peanuts and even then the lps were barely 2-3 times as costly as cassettes. now with high costs of music rights, the cost of cutting an actual lp should be subsidised by selling them at actuals(not the other medias which sell in higher numbers, they can accost for the music rights ). makes no business sense on the outside. but tell me when last did you purchase a movie's cd ?? did anyone actually ever buy the albums on pen drive?? everyone is downloading and most ppl are already content by what radios and tv channels are providing for. i m seeing very few shops stocking audio cds. we might soon come to an era where purchasing a full album- movie or non filmi, may become history. this will prevent ppl from listening to the un-propogandised but great tracks from any title as you d tend to download songs you ve listened and liked. the thrill of finding a song that u liked better than the most popular track of any movie/album is only possible when you purchase full album. one example- razia sultan had aye dile nadan and kabban mirza s aayi zanjeer ki jhankaar... but i m just hooked to ' tera hizr mera naseeb hai' by mirza saab. my concern is, album buying is a fast depleting phenomena. music companies should watch where we are heading. they need to promote people like us who are buying albums to listen to them.

Last edited:
Hi all,

LPs are a default method to control audio piracy. If not full albums, the essential series of all (or atleast selling artists eg. Michael Jackson) can be pressed, by employing good sound engineers, at a reasonable cost to the customer. By this way Vinyl will re-emerge and the Music companies can have a check on the piracy too.

N.Murali

@entsurgeon: Kailasa on vinyl has different track listing than the CD. That was the reason I didn't buy it. If you are already familiar, and already love the CD, you may like to check the track listing of the LP before buying it.

Hello,

I am new to the forum, so please ignore (& guide) if I make any mistake in posting. Reading you people, i have ordered DDLJ, KKHH, DTPH, KKKG & Sufiaana Lps from flipkart. Yet to receive any. Excited to see them being delivered and the way they are packed.
I hope flipkart does a good work!!

Hi Entsurgeon

Cost of manufacture of a cd including packaging is about Rs 10. So it can be sold for as little as RS 45 and there are some profits to be made. In case of a lp, they are all pressed abroad. Hence cost of manufacture is high. Add to it the import duty and other taxes and the dealer margin, its kind of very difficult to sell it for less than 600-700.

Tseries making lps in india in hp. That's the reason they retailing at 600-700

Hello Everyone,

GOt some new Lps - DDLJ, DTPH, KKHH, KKKG and sufiaana.
I must say that sound quality is far ahead of MP3. Before i played them, i thought that it will be more psychological that factual, but once it was on, there was no doubt that these vinyls sound much better than their digital counterparts, even on my modest player set up. Even my wife, who is not much into technology (as usual)
& was criticising me for 'wasting' 900 bucks on 'just songs' said that some instruments sounded like being played live in the room itself!! (& i had something to prove my logic for investing some big money into an lp!!)
Quality wise, I thought Soy music lps were great and the KKKG lp sounds great. THe recording quality is also excellent and the bass & treble are perfect.
DDLJ by SAREGAMA HMV was lacking the sharpness & crispness that newer recordings have, but still it sounded very 'fresh'. I believe the main reason must the quality of its master itself. DTPH was better with crispness and bass.
The audio quality of Sufiaana LP, (i think being a collection -your opinion?) is just a bittie inferior as compared to other sony music discs like KKHH & KKKG. But overall, I think the 5 lps that i bought was a good investment and i hope to enjoy the fantastic music and the vinyl format for long.
Also, this post would be half done without mentioning FLipkart and an interesting thing that happened. I ordered these lps from Flipkart and they delivered it to perfection. I was little worried as some forum members mentioned that they got warped discs. I knew about their replacement policy but still didnt want to get into all those fuss. I got 3 lps out of 5 on the 4th day i ordered. That was quick for me and well packaged. My wife received it. My bill was 2297/- for 3 lps but somehow some error was made and the flipkart guy asked for 2997/- as it was COD. Somehow my wife even didnt look into the invoice and paid 3K. In the evening i got a call from the flipkart guy that he has received more payment and apologised for it. He adjusted the excess money next day with the delivery of 2 other lps that arrived. Though, I would associate the honesty thing more with the individual but still the overall experience with flipkart was very nice.
All lps were in perfect shape. KKKG was just a little warped but my player takes it well.

Cheers!

Now because vinyl lovers didn't prefer to buy their 'digitally remastered' lps; they probably have got it as no takers of vinyls in India. Else, there were a lot of good titles that could have been released.
This is what I perceive.

Regards,
Saket.

I think its all about the price....spending Rs. 600-750 on an LP is still a big deal in the Indian market. I've bought LPs from stores in the United States for about $10-13 which is not a big deal for an american. On-line vendors charge $2-3 more to cover their handling costs. Audio CDs retail out there for about $8-12 which is very near in-terms of pricing. Hence the United States remains a hot market for vinyl. India will need to do a lot to catch up. Also these international titles retail in India for over Rs.1500-2000 and are not worth buying in India.

Vinyl sales volumes in India are extremely low and non-profitable for the record labels. Take my case as an example, I am heavily into vinyl but never buy any vinyl in the Indian market :)

I am sure that so is the case with a lot of our forum members and non-forum vinyl users as well. Most of them live off pre-used stuff or stuff bought abroad.

Last edited:
+1 to what Reuben has to say. Plus majority of Indian market still doesnot believe in analog format. Mostly people do not pay attention connecting to music which vinyl lovers do by way of album art, physically possesing the music on lps...and in my opinion, there is nothing more tempting than looking at the spinning vinyls transforming into music.

ALERT: Few LPs available at 50% discount at Landmark SGS Mall, Pune.

Got Astral Weeks by Van Morrison at Rs 650/-. Record is flawless

There are few other LP also available at 50% discount

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back