Help me buy a good CRT TV

Renny2077

Hi,

I'm looking at getting myself a good CRT TV primarily for playstation 3 gaming and regular TV viewing. I don't want to spend the money for an LCD TV just yet (maybe get that after 2 yrs or so). I've been reading that most popular brands like Samsung and Sony LCD tvs start giving problems just after 2 yrs.

Anyways, can you guys recommend me some good brands that sell CRT TVs in India? Are there any that support 480p? I believe that Sony no longer sells TV except LCD models.

Thanks

Hi,

You can go either for a Panasonic Tau series(i own one and it gives excellent pictures)) or a Philips one.

cheers,
sri

Are the ones you mentioned HD-ready TVs? I've yet to go visit the electronic stores for an in-depth search. But are these available in India? Esp with all the brands trying to push for LCD TVs these days.

Esp with all the brands trying to push for LCD TVs these days.

Exactly !!!

Due to LCD's flooding the market, these companies are no longer selling HD capable CRT's.

Still, as stated by Sri, Panasonic should be a very good option. I got a 21" slim CRT last year and its going great. A regular CRT should be more robust than the slim one. My JVC 29" is a regular one and it just shines with SD content.

Hi,

I'm looking at getting myself a good CRT TV primarily for playstation 3 gaming and regular TV viewing. I don't want to spend the money for an LCD TV just yet (maybe get that after 2 yrs or so). I've been reading that most popular brands like Samsung and Sony LCD tvs start giving problems just after 2 yrs.

Anyways, can you guys recommend me some good brands that sell CRT TVs in India? Are there any that support 480p? I believe that Sony no longer sells TV except LCD models.

Thanks

Where have you read about popular brands like Samsung/ Sony conking out after 2 years??? Have you ever walked into a TV repair shop? You will be surprised to see that most if not all TVs given in for repairing are CRTs.
For playstation 3 gaming, a regular CRT will just not be able to do justice to the graphics. Better to go in for PS2 and save the money for future upgrades.
CRTs are slowly being phased out all over the world. But ever since colonial times India has always been the "dumping ground" for undesired products.... so CRTs may be available for a little bit longer in India. But after they are eventually phased out.......... you do know what happened to the cost of Yamaha RD350 spares after production stopped, don't you?

But after they are eventually phased out.......... you do know what happened to the cost of Yamaha RD350 spares after production stopped, don't you?

Boss, he is not going to keep the CRT for another 15 years, to worry about spare parts. :)
99.99% of all CRTs function for atleast 5 years without any servicing or parts replacement.

At the price CRTs are selling (cheaper than a midrange mobile phone)
even if he uses it for just 3 years and throws it away it won't be a loss.

Boss, he is not going to keep the CRT for another 15 years, to worry about spare parts. :)
99.99% of all CRTs function for atleast 5 years without any servicing or parts replacement.

At the price CRTs are selling (cheaper than a midrange mobile phone)
even if he uses it for just 3 years and throws it away it won't be a loss.

+1 to that. For regular viewing, CRT is unrivalled. One of my relatives just got a Full HD Sony 32". (A typical sales con job; selling a 32" Full HD to a naive customer). I had been there this weekend, and watching the FIFA World Cup on it, I started longing for my regular CRT. The picture quality was that bad. It was just normal cable and not DTH, but still it wasn't upto the mark.

Good point. But he mentioned that he is going to use a PS 3 on it. So he would get no advantage out of the PS 3s graphics engine. To continue the bike analogy, it is like fitting a high end K&N air filter on a LUNA moped.
@Renny 2077, to get an idea of the difference, do one thing. Get a PC with a reasonably good graphics card and play a game like Crysis or NFS using the PC monitor. Next connect a normal TV to the PC and see the difference in quality. That is what you will be missing out on.

Yeah, CRT's may well be on their way out. But CRT's are still the best thing in our country. Think about it, we still have DVD's ( and VCD! yikes!).
Only Elite few have HD cable now ( That too number of channels are very too few).

I agree about the PS3 part though. The fact that you will not do justice to PS3, Blu Ray or HD cable.
However, I think a CRT for next 2 years is still a good plan.

Conisder this, a 32 inch LCD will only give ~ 23 inch in 4:3 mode. Which is what our cable provides anyways. So if you buy a 25 or 29 inch CRT, you are getting more viewing area.

BUT, the minute we start accounting for HD, then the whole game changes.

So my advice, get a good CRT now. Keep it for 1 - 2 years like you planned.
After that get a new LCD/LED/PLASMA or whatever you fancy, BUT keep the existing CRT as your second TV. I'm sure you will miss you CRT otherwise, while watching SD stuff from cable :).

In case you guys are wondering, I have a 42inch Plasma hooked to Tata Sky+ at home. My parents have 4 television including 2 32 inch LCD (Hitachi and Sanyo), One 25inch Samsung Plano (TV in my bedroom :) ) and Sony Wega 29inch.
All of the above are connected to tata sky stbs.
When it comes to Standard Definition, CRT's rule. Period.

Thanks for all the inputs. Yeah, I know that PS3 ideally requires an HD tv but I've done a bit of research and the graphics on a regular TV is not that bad. Just dont want to shell out the money for an LCD TV just.

About the LCD TVs gonking off after 2 yrs...i read alot of complaints in the consumer complaints site. Kinda scares me. If anyone has exp with problems with their LCD tv, do share. I've also heard that Samsung customer care sucks.

Please do not waste money on PS3 if buying CRT,In fact you can wait for PS 8 .32B and Holographic TV ,,,I am sure the expereince will be out of the world!
Only thing you have to wait for little longer..maybe just another 50 years!

Went out hunting for a good CRT and came home back with a Panasonic TH-L32S10 for Rs. 33K and a bunch of other freebies. Now I need to get a PS3 really soon.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back