Help me detect suspected problem with Optoma HD 600x and denon avr

goyal.sanchit

Hello Everyone

I have an Optoma HD 600x projector. It is about 1 year old but have been used very less. About 100 hours or so.

1-2 Months back I was watching a movie on it. Suddenly the projector turned off and a combination of lights was blinking. I suspected Lamp overheating though the AC was on and projector had been running for just 1-2 hours.

This is what the user manual says about troubleshooting-

ULdsp.jpg

There are 3 lights on the projector. The power light, light with lamp icon and the light with thermometer icon.

The lamp led was steady red and the power led was flashing red which according to manual indicates lamp failure!

I was surprised and worried since the projector was hardly used. Anyways I switched off the projector, Prayed to God and switched it on after some time and it worked well.

After that I used it 4-5 times and it worked good.

Today again the same thing happened. Projector turned off with the same combination of lights. Switching it on after some time worked again.

So what is this error and why does this happen?
Seems to be lamp overheating but the overheating indicator is never turned on and the combination of lights suggest lamp failure!

Also in general how can I protect the projector from dust?

Its in the Bedroom ceiling mounted so putting a cloth over it would look bad as well as fly because of the Fan. So is there anyway to protect it?

And I do not cover the lens with the lid as it can move the focus ring and setting the focus eveytime would be a nuisance. I hope it not much of an issue or is it something that must be done?

Regards

Its in the Bedroom ceiling mounted so putting a cloth over it would look bad as well as fly because of the Fan. So is there anyway to protect it?

And I do not cover the lens with the lid as it can move the focus ring and setting the focus eveytime would be a nuisance. I hope it not much of an issue or is it something that must be done?
Regards
You can get a cuboid (l x b x h) cardboard box, approximately the same size as your projector. Cut open one of the sides e.g. (b x h). Then cut out a rectangular or "U" shaped slit on the top side starting from the open side edge to the middle. The slit width should be a little larger than the projector mount rod diameter.
Use this box to slide on to the projector from the front (lens side), when not in use. The slit will make sure that box goes through the projector mount rod.
Beautify it as per you likes :)

Hello Everyone

I have an Optoma HD 600x projector. It is about 1 year old but have been used very less. About 100 hours or so.

1-2 Months back I was watching a movie on it. Suddenly the projector turned off and a combination of lights was blinking. I suspected Lamp overheating though the AC was on and projector had been running for just 1-2 hours.

This is what the user manual says about troubleshooting-

ULdsp.jpg

There are 3 lights on the projector. The power light, light with lamp icon and the light with thermometer icon.

The lamp led was steady red and the power led was flashing red which according to manual indicates lamp failure!

I was surprised and worried since the projector was hardly used. Anyways I switched off the projector, Prayed to God and switched it on after some time and it worked well.

Today again the same thing happened. Projector turned off with the same combination of lights. Switching it on after some time worked again.

Seems to be lamp overheating but the overheating indicator is never turned on and the combination of lights suggest lamp failure!

Regards

I think it's just the lamp overheating. See if can run the lamp in Eco/low power mode.

@ontherocks

Thats very innovative though would require some time. I will implement it when I find a similar box.

@yrk1969

The symptoms are of overheating but its the signal that suggest lamp failure which makes me worry. I am already running it in standard mode.

Sanchit,

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

I have had a similar problem but fortunately thereafter the problem did not surface.

You are right that there is no issue of lamp heating because you are using the A/C, and moreover you city climate is often pleasant while having said that even if a projector runs for a movie duration without the A/C, there should be no problem. If you can get service center in your city then good otherwise you will have to take the projector to Delhi, with prior appointment. Well that reminds me Mandeep, knows one good technician in your city.

I have seen your place and i do not think dust is a issue. The projector generally comes with a cover and that can be used to cover or alternatively get it made, the people who make covers for washing machines etc could be the right people. In general we do not have guests coming over to our bedroom so it could be alright with the cover and in cases where some guests come to your room and if the need be, you can always remove the cover a while before.

In rare occasions i have been covering the lens with lid especially during servicing of A/C but while removing the lid i have not faced any issue with the setting. With my earlier projector i had a lift for it so there was no scope of dust issue because the projector used to go into the ceiling after i was done with the movie.

It seems if one does not have a dedicated room for movies and if there are dust or related issues then it is better not to mount the projector on ceiling rather place it on a shelf as under such situation covering of the projector becomes very easy.

V.

Hello Everyone

Last edited:
Hello Vinay

Thanks for the reply. But I would need more help from you since it seems I have a tough diagnoses to make and I do not know how easy it would be.

Today I started the projector to watch the movie. 5 minutes later I heard a noise (A click sound from the AVR similar to when it starts) and the projector went off with the same error lights.

Switched off the projector and started it again after sometime. About 1 hour later the same thing happened again.

Since there is a click sound and the light on the power button is also blinking (Denon 1311) I guess the avr also restarts and the projector shuts down simultaneously.

I tried to repeat the same problem again by switching the projector directly but it didnt have any effect on the AVR. Then I switched off the AVR but it didnt have any effect on the projector.

At this point it seems the problem is not solely with the projector as otherwise why would the avr restart but with something else.

All the equipments (AVR, Projector, Media player, Subwoofer) are connected through a surge protector (mx) which has an inverter connection which is essentially a UPS.

So any idea what could be the issue? I seriously dont know how to diagnose and correct this. :(

Apart from the problem my basic short question is-

1.) Could this be a lamp failure?

2.) Can a projector work with failed lamp (Which seems ridiculous) or is the led light showing wrong error?

Regards

goyal, connect the hdmi cable directly to pj without the avr. This way you can check whether the problem is with AVR or PJ. Usually the Denon avr will shutdown when the voltage is above or below a safe limit. So check the voltage also. If CEC is enabled, the AVR will shutdown the PJ also.

goyal, connect the hdmi cable directly to pj without the avr. This way you can check whether the problem is with AVR or PJ. Usually the Denon avr will shutdown when the voltage is above or below a safe limit. So check the voltage also. If CEC is enabled, the AVR will shutdown the PJ also.

Thats a good tip. I would connect it directly next time and see what happens. Though I guess Denon 1311 doesnt have the cec feature.

Also if the avr shuts down due to voltage issues does it restart itself after fluctuation? Because in this case it seems there is a restart.

I have sent a mail to optoma also though I am not very hopeful of their reply.

Next time I switch on the projector I would connect it directly rather than through avr and see what happens. Then maybe try a composite. Meanwhile if there are any other suggestions do let me know.

If the lamp fails can the projector start?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back