Epson tw9400 or benq w5700 or optoma uhd50x

soumyajit92

Hi guys, looking to install a project by the end of this week. These are my initial selection and max budget for the projector is around 2.5L. Today took the demo of epson 9400 but unlike the rave reviews it got i'm kind of unimpressed by the details resolved by the projector whole the blacks are good but looked very blurry. Now the dealer didnt have ANY 4k content available with him (shocked, its 2020), that could be the reason, so i ll visit again tomorrow with my 4k movies. In the meanwhile can i have a suggestion what would be the. Est choice amongst these? Room is not light controlled but curtains ll be installed and lights can be turned off. Looking for the best value for money while not compromising on the detail resolving. Thanks.

EDIT: I ll have 1 65 inch lg cx oled behind the motorised screen for the times i can not turn off the lights.

Hi guys, looking to install a project by the end of this week. These are my initial selection and max budget for the projector is around 2.5L. Today took the demo of epson 9400 but unlike the rave reviews it got i'm kind of unimpressed by the details resolved by the projector whole the blacks are good but looked very blurry. Now the dealer didnt have ANY 4k content available with him (shocked, its 2020), that could be the reason, so i ll visit again tomorrow with my 4k movies. In the meanwhile can i have a suggestion what would be the. Est choice amongst these? Room is not light controlled but curtains ll be installed and lights can be turned off. Looking for the best value for money while not compromising on the detail resolving. Thanks.

EDIT: I ll have 1 65 inch lg cx oled behind the motorised screen for the times i can not turn off the lights.

Hi Soumyajit,

The dealer probably has not adjusted the focus correctly, focus can be adjusted via the remote so ask your dealer to give you the remote and try it out yourself next time. I could not demo the W5700 but the 9400 during demo looked very good to me during the demo.

I made him play the dark knight bluray disc from an oppo bluray player. There must be something wrong. Looked very meh to me. Also there were some really exoensive focal speakers and bw speakers but all mismatched, randomly placed which as a result sounded very thin and tiny, so now im doubting his basic knowledge in this field. Just not the kind of first impression k was hoping for. It's a demo room for a reason if the client has to manage the setup to its optimal performing level. Anyway tomorrow i ll get my hard drive and talk to him. I was very interested in this projector, but if the sharpness stays like this .... Im not sure.

I made him play the dark knight bluray disc from an oppo bluray player. There must be something wrong. Looked very meh to me. Also there were some really exoensive focal speakers and bw speakers but all mismatched, randomly placed which as a result sounded very thin and tiny, so now im doubting his basic knowledge in this field. Just not the kind of first impression k was hoping for. It's a demo room for a reason if the client has to manage the setup to its optimal performing level. Anyway tomorrow i ll get my hard drive and talk to him. I was very interested in this projector, but if the sharpness stays like this .... Im not sure.

I very well understand your point, but in most scenarios its better that you meddle and play around to your satisfaction. The dealer I deal with for most of my purchases has much more know how of things work than me and has the demo room setup very nicely, but I still make it a point to play content I want , meddle with the settings and try out varied content.
You would have as much or maybe more to lose if you choose a product just because the demo was not setup correctly or vice versa that demo was too perfect that it was aimed at hiding the deficiency of the product in question.

Who's the dealer, sollfege? If possible send the quote to me via PM

Who's the dealer, sollfege? If possible send the quote to me via PM
Yes. Haha that's a shockingly good guess!!! Didn't get a quote since i didn't like the projector(i really wanted to). I'll revisit tomorrow and make a decision. Any tips for a proper demo? And how much should expect for 9400?

Yes. Haha that's a shockingly good guess!!! Didn't get a quote since i didn't like the projector(i really wanted to). I'll revisit tomorrow and make a decision. Any tips for a proper demo? And how much should expect for 9400?
Not a difficult one as probably they only deal with focal and b&w in kolkata. I read in the forum that people got tw9400 at 1.8 lacs. So aim for that.
I don't know much about pj demos but room lighting matter a lot. Do go through avforums and posts by a guy luminated67 who posts gorgeous clicks of images from this pj.

Last edited:
I have the Epson EH-TW8100, a predecessor of the 9400. It's awesome.
A friend just installed a 7100. Excellent too.
Obviously, your demo had something wrong.

I have the Epson EH-TW8100, a predecessor of the 9400. It's awesome.
A friend just installed a 7100. Excellent too.
Obviously, your demo had something wrong.
I bought Epson 9400 recently.i wonder why you felt it to b blurred.benq image is more sharper.but over all Epson outweighs benq in its performance. I feel Epson is far superior to other two leave alone JVC and sony.

I bought Epson 9400 recently.i wonder why you felt it to b blurred.benq image is more sharper.but over all Epson outweighs benq in its performance. I feel Epson is far superior to other two leave alone JVC and sony.
Setup issues mostly since this projector is universally praised. It cant be that bad. I'll revisit and have a look again with better content since these dealer doesnt have much content to show other than a few bluray discs.

Hi guys, so here's the update.

Went to sollfage with my own collection of movies but the story remained the same, they have no options for any kind of 4k playback. Not even youtube. Then when i asked for the projector remote i was told it has gone for repair. So yeah, thats the story.

Then as luck would have it i came across a company who deals with mainly high end projects but thought of giving them a call anyway. Guess what, turned out the owner is a common friend. And they have a dedicated team who ll measure, design and install the projector for me. And im given a choice between benq 5700 and epson 9400 (i insisted) and i can take home demo of both once my apartment is finished and keep the one i like. So far so good.

Now for the pricing he is quoting arnd 1.8 for the epson, and 1.9 for the benq. And suggesting to go for a grandview screen. So my question is, is this a fair price ? And also how good is the screen brand?

That's fair pricing. Grandview is internationally reputed screen brand. Please PM me the details of this dealer so that I can take from him when my apartment is finished

That's fair pricing. Grandview is internationally reputed screen brand. Please PM me the details of this dealer so that I can take from him when my apartment is finished
dealer is watt effects, they have office in southern avenue but currently renovation is going on so they have built a temp office in Chandni.

But make sure you don't succumb to their more premium more luxurious type of motto. They ll definitely push you for the most expensive thing that you can buy. So that's that. other than that they looked very very serious and professional with setup ... they have a conference room, cad artist to make a blueprint of the setup after their team visits the site etc etc.

dealer is watt effects, they have office in southern avenue but currently renovation is going on so they have built a temp office in Chandni.

But make sure you don't succumb to their more premium more luxurious type of motto. They ll definitely push you for the most expensive thing that you can buy. So that's that. other than that they looked very very serious and professional with setup ... they have a conference room, cad artist to make a blueprint of the setup after their team visits the site etc etc.
Yes I know him. I visited 4 yrs back while purchasing my first setup. They can just sell you the product or install it as per your requirements.

Now for the pricing he is quoting arnd 1.8 for the epson, and 1.9 for the benq. And suggesting to go for a grandview screen. So my question is, is this a fair price ? And also how good is the screen brand?
1.8 for Epson is a good price. Which model of BenQ did he quote 1.9 for? You will definitely find BenQ sharper than Epson.
I have been using Grandview screen since past 8 years. Its good.

1.8 for Epson is a good price. Which model of BenQ did he quote 1.9 for? You will definitely find BenQ sharper than Epson.
I have been using Grandview screen since past 8 years. Its good.
looking at the benq w5700 only. Also any idea what should be the expected price for 120inch liberty screen? Dont want to be shocked also need prior information before i start the final bargaining.

looking at the benq w5700 only. Also any idea what should be the expected price for 120inch liberty screen? Dont want to be shocked also need prior information before i start the final bargaining.
Depends on type of screen. My matte white manual pulldown self-lock slow-return 120 inch cost me 18K at that time, including delivery and installation. Should be around 12K nowadays

Btw guys, any idea whats the lowest priced native 4k projector available in india? Lets say if i want the sony 295es which is sonys entry level native 4k projector, how much is it in india?

Great projectors to choose from. BenQ will be sharper since it is a DLP. But Epson can be equally great and you won't find it blurry.

The source matters a lot. But many here own 9400. It is a great projector for the price and the replacement bulbs are reasonably priced. It is brighter so if you use MadVR, it can shine even well for tone mapped HDR content.

You won't be disappointed with either of them. Good luck.

Back