Epson tw9400 or benq w5700 or optoma uhd50x

Great projectors to choose from. BenQ will be sharper since it is a DLP. But Epson can be equally great and you won't find it blurry.

The source matters a lot. But many here own 9400. It is a great projector for the price and the replacement bulbs are reasonably priced. It is brighter so if you use MadVR, it can shine even well for tone mapped HDR content.

You won't be disappointed with either of them. Good luck.
my source is all 4k atmos mkv files streamed via plex or direct play using nvidia shield pro using a denon x2700h. And 90% of my collection is in 4k. My seating distance from the screen will be between 6-9 feet (depends on the int designer) hence i'm afraid i'll see pixels and it'll drive me crazy if i do since i have ocd regarding these things. but some feature on the epson is sweet like the lens memory thing, just the sharpness bit a is concern for me. I get it both are 1080p native and shifting pixel ... but still 8m pixel is 8m pixel compared to 4m on the epson. Sad for a city like Kolkata not to have a proper demo available for either of these.

I can understand as I hail from a small town. Kolkata is no small town. You could find some decent places there. I suggest make a separate thread for asking demo places in Kolkata.

I have a recently bought 5650. A 9400 at home town. To my eyes, 5650 is sharp enough if you play a decent 1080 source. I sit at around 12 feet, but my screen is 120 inches. I can see the pixels if I stand at 3 feet.

I had issues with convergence, so I stood closer to screen to describe the problem to the Epson service engineer.

You won't see any pixels at 9 feet. And like I said many times before across multiple threads, Epson pop colors. So vivid. On a direct comparison, you will pick Epson over other pixel shifters in the range.

And other perks like lens shift and a trouble-free ownership. It is a proven model. You can increase the sharpness to your liking. I don't recommend that, though.

I will always suggest Epson to everyone. Not a fanboy, but they are good.

If you can stretch, Sony or JVC offer class leading projectors. But again, different technology and expensive.

Unless you have a perfectly treated room, spending money on higher end projectors is not worth.

I can understand as I hail from a small town. Kolkata is no small town. You could find some decent places there. I suggest make a separate thread for asking demo places in Kolkata.

I have a recently bought 5650. A 9400 at home town. To my eyes, 5650 is sharp enough if you play a decent 1080 source. I sit at around 12 feet, but my screen is 120 inches. I can see the pixels if I stand at 3 feet.

I had issues with convergence, so I stood closer to screen to describe the problem to the Epson service engineer.

You won't see any pixels at 9 feet. And like I said many times before across multiple threads, Epson pop colors. So vivid. On a direct comparison, you will pick Epson over other pixel shifters in the range.

And other perks like lens shift and a trouble-free ownership. It is a proven model. You can increase the sharpness to your liking. I don't recommend that, though.

I will always suggest Epson to everyone. Not a fanboy, but they are good.

If you can stretch, Sony or JVC offer class leading projectors. But again, different technology and expensive.

Unless you have a perfectly treated room, spending money on higher end projectors is not worth.
no treated room but lights can be controlled, also i have visited 3 dealer and none of them have the models for demo, they have others but not these two. Let's see what can be done about that. Found a dealer who had the 9400 (white, does it come in white since 9400 is essentially 6050ub and that comes in black) but it was fuzzy blurry, most probably not properly setup. Also he had nothing, and i mean nothing at all to play a few 4k content, not even youtube.

no treated room but lights can be controlled, also i have visited 3 dealer and none of them have the models for demo, they have others but not these two. Let's see what can be done about that. Found a dealer who had the 9400 (white, does it come in white since 9400 is essentially 6050ub and that comes in black) but it was fuzzy blurry, most probably not properly setup. Also he had nothing, and i mean nothing at all to play a few 4k content, not even youtube.
Well, in that case request any fm in Kolkata who owns 9400 to give you a demo. While nothing beats an in person demo, there are a lot of genuine reviews about 9400 in web for you to choose. I bit the bullet from going through online reviews. And I don't regret having done so.

Please consider a new thread to request a demo from fms. Many would be happy to help you.

While the room is important, I wouldn't go that far. If you can control ambient light in the room, the JVC NX series is worth considering for the built-in dynamic tone mapping for HDR.
Trust me if i had the budget for that i'd have bought it in a blink (anyone would've) but sadly it'll be 3-4 times costlier than what i'm paying for these.

Trust me if i had the budget for that i'd have bought it in a blink (anyone would've) but sadly it'll be 3-4 times costlier than what i'm paying for these.
there is a native 4k sony projector 3L. also the benq and epson are much better than the optoma uhd50x. the uhd50x is comparable to the epson tw7100.

here is a video of side by side comparision between the benq and epson you are planning to buy. There is not much of a difference between the 6050ub(black) and 5050ub(white)

there is a native 4k sony projector 3L. also the benq and epson are much better than the optoma uhd50x. the uhd50x is comparable to the epson tw7100.

here is a video of side by side comparision between the benq and epson you are planning to buy. There is not much of a difference between the 6050ub(black) and 5050ub(white)

Optoma is out of the race. Now it's between the epson and the benq. My mounting distance is about 12-13 ft from the screen and the installation guy said benq can have problems throwing a 120 inch projection but the epson is more flexible. But i have checked the projector calculation from projectorcentrals site and 12ft doable for both the projectors with a little bit lens zoomed out, i hope that doesnt deteriorate the quality. Anyway the point is im confused till i get a demo between the epson and benq. Also can you tell me the model name of the sony projector that you are saying is arnd 3L ? I can consider that as well, given the throw distance and brightness is manageable for me.

And i have seen this video at least thrice ... Didnt help my confusion

Trust me if i had the budget for that i'd have bought it in a blink (anyone would've)

Fair enough.

but sadly it'll be 3-4 times costlier than what i'm paying for these.

FYI: The JVC NX5 will be less than 2x the Sony native 4K projector you were asking about in another post. And, from my experience, properly tone mapped HDR trumps merely native 4K.

Untitled-1.jpgrough drawing of the layout.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 51
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM (2).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM (2).jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 47
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 10.03.02 PM (1).jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Optoma is out of the race. Now it's between the epson and the benq. My mounting distance is about 12-13 ft from the screen and the installation guy said benq can have problems throwing a 120 inch projection but the epson is more flexible. But i have checked the projector calculation from projectorcentrals site and 12ft doable for both the projectors with a little bit lens zoomed out, i hope that doesnt deteriorate the quality. Anyway the point is im confused till i get a demo between the epson and benq. Also can you tell me the model name of the sony projector that you are saying is arnd 3L ? I can consider that as well, given the throw distance and brightness is manageable for me.

sony 270es. a member on the forum said it costs 3L.

also have you considered the the laser projector from epson ls-500 short throw? try getting a demo of it if possible before buying. epson claims double the contrast ratio of the tw9400

also have you considered the the laser projector from epson ls-500 short throw? try getting a demo of it if possible before buying. epson claims double the contrast ratio of the tw9400

I enquired for sony with the number given by the person quoted for 3l.his last price was 3.6 l .dealer is from Gujarat ahmedabad

cant have short throw since it requires a fixed alr screen for the best results and i already have a 65inch tv there. so only something that can be hidden after it's done serving it's purpose.

Have you thought about picture brightness?
At 14 feet throw distance, the TW9400 picture might be too bright for a fully dark room. The Benq might work better here.
What is the elevation of the beams? Why don't you have the projector further back?
I have a TW8100 (2400 lumens) around 20 feet from the screen in a dedicated room. Brightness is near perfect.
Had the same projector earlier in the living room wiht a throw distance of 15 feet. It worked best with some ambient light.

Sony 270ES is around 3.2-3.3
The NX 5 is around 4.2-4.3
Negotiate harder for a better price.
If you can spend around 4, get the NX 5 and call it a day.
If not, the Sony is still a better machine. The only drawback with it is the absence of Lens Memory which might be a headache for Scope screen users.

In regards to brightness, all are the same when calibrated.

Check the angle of view.. and consider alr screen.
6-9 feet from a 120" screen will make you dizzy..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back