How to extend WiFi for LAN only Blue Ray Players

pm123

I have bought a Panasonic BD-65 from US and saw it was internet ready. However after coming back and installing with my home theater system, i found out that i need to buy a panasonic wi-fi adapter to use internet which is worth around 100$. I have an airtel broadband connection with the router supplied by them but the router is quite far from the blu ray player for extending the ethernet cable. I do not want to spend 100$ plus shipping for the wifi adapter. Is there any way i can extend the wifi through another router to the home theater room and use ethernet cable from the new router to the blu ray player. Guys please help in this matter.
Thanks in advance.

Piyush.

I have bought a Panasonic BD-65 from US and saw it was internet ready. However after coming back and installing with my home theater system, i found out that i need to buy a panasonic wi-fi adapter to use internet which is worth around 100$. I have an airtel broadband connection with the router supplied by them but the router is quite far from the blu ray player for extending the ethernet cable. I do not want to spend 100$ plus shipping for the wifi adapter. Is there any way i can extend the wifi through another router to the home theater room and use ethernet cable from the new router to the blu ray player. Guys please help in this matter.
Thanks in advance.

Piyush.

Check the below link on how you can reuse a cheaper router in repeater mode to achieve similar functionality as a wireless adapter.

How to Use a Router as a Repeater | eHow.com

you can install other AP and sync with WDS repeater mode near by your TV and you need to connect Ethernet cable from WDS AP .
I belive you can found cheap Ap @1500 Rs

you can install other AP and sync with WDS repeater mode near by your TV and you need to connect Ethernet cable from WDS AP .
I belive you can found cheap Ap @1500 Rs

Hi vikram,
What is AP and WDS? Never heard of these but would like to know.

get a wireless n router for 1250 bucks and add it as an repeater and connect the lan from the router to the bdp...

that wont solve the problem as they are supposed to use networking through the dedicated lan or wifi adapter.. that is supported by the firmware... try looking for a adapter that is compatible for the same.. else go through a router and lan way..

Check the below link on how you can reuse a cheaper router in repeater mode to achieve similar functionality as a wireless adapter.

How to Use a Router as a Repeater | eHow.com

I have a spare Belkin N150(model F6D 4230 v1) router which i tried with the link but not able to. Everytime i try to change the ip address of the router, the router is disabled and the new ip address page doesn't open. Then i have to reset the router again.

I have a spare Belkin N150(model F6D 4230 v1) router which i tried with the link but not able to. Everytime i try to change the ip address of the router, the router is disabled and the new ip address page doesn't open. Then i have to reset the router again.

I think you are disabling the DHCP and that is the reason why your computer fails to obtain an IP address from the router and hence fails to resolve the router's console page.

I think you are disabling the DHCP and that is the reason why your computer fails to obtain an IP address from the router and hence fails to resolve the router's console page.

Yes i am disabling the DHCP. The new ip address which i have to give should be in the new router's range or the primary router's range?

Yes i am disabling the DHCP. The new ip address which i have to give should be in the new router's range or the primary router's range?

Primary router's range since this is going to act as a client under it. Post this even if you are not able to access the router, I would suggest that you try to connect this router to the tv and see if the tv is able to access network. If possible since your primary router also has DHCP please see if there you can set IP reservation for this client (secondary router) using its mac address so that the primary router will not assign this ip to another client (typically your laptop or any other device which may be accidentally turned on before your secondary router is turned on and gets ip address). However if you run the test without turning on any other client in your network then you may discard this IP reservation for the time being

@pm123,

As per your first post i understood ,you have router and you want access this router from the BD with wifi connection. and on bd you have usb slot for which you have to buy an wireless adapter ,so that that adapter get connected to you wireless router.

there are two options.

1.You buy usb wired network card and install on BD and you need to pull a UTP cable from your BD usb network adapter to the router.
2.You can buy a wireless usb network adapter and you can connect through wifi to your router but the distance is the limitation here.

as per my experience disadvantage using wifi is the speed ,i would suggest connecting through utp cable and usb network adapter.
if possible post picture of bd interface to understand easily.

regarding the router configuration when you reset the router it normal takes an ip address range 196.168.0.1 or 254 depending on the different make. you can use the same range without changing the ip and on the computer or any device connecting to the router (BD ,TV or any network device should be configured as DHCP client.

Hope this will clear your doubts.

@pm123,

As per your first post i understood ,you have router and you want access this router from the BD with wifi connection. and on bd you have usb slot for which you have to buy an wireless adapter ,so that that adapter get connected to you wireless router.

there are two options.

1.You buy usb wired network card and install on BD and you need to pull a UTP cable from your BD usb network adapter to the router.
2.You can buy a wireless usb network adapter and you can connect through wifi to your router but the distance is the limitation here.

as per my experience disadvantage using wifi is the speed ,i would suggest connecting through utp cable and usb network adapter.
if possible post picture of bd interface to understand easily.

regarding the router configuration when you reset the router it normal takes an ip address range 196.168.0.1 or 254 depending on the different make. you can use the same range without changing the ip and on the computer or any device connecting to the router (BD ,TV or any network device should be configured as DHCP client.

Hope this will clear your doubts.

The BD has an ethernet port but my main router is in another room and getting the wire from there will create a lot of hassles. The wireless adapter has to be on panasonic which i have to import and costs around 100 US$. That's the the reason i want to setup another router which will be the secondary router near the BD which get the wireless connection from the primary router and then from the secondary router i can connect the BD by wire through ethernet. I hope you understand the full scenario now.

Hi It will bit difficult to do that ,but its not impossible.for this you need two routers (or one router and one Access point) and usb wireless adapter.
but the latency and access speed will slow depending on the signal strength between the two router and wifi adapter.

I recommend you go with cable only i agree it will be difficult to pass the cable.cable can support max 80 to 100 Mts length.

I am not sure how routers can solve this issue. But one good option will be:

Netgear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter

I have a panasonic BD60 blu-ray player which is not wifi enabled and only has ethernet connectivity option. I was looking for a solution and found this in amazon. Ordered one few days back and expecting it to reach me next week.

Primary router's range since this is going to act as a client under it. Post this even if you are not able to access the router, I would suggest that you try to connect this router to the tv and see if the tv is able to access network. If possible since your primary router also has DHCP please see if there you can set IP reservation for this client (secondary router) using its mac address so that the primary router will not assign this ip to another client (typically your laptop or any other device which may be accidentally turned on before your secondary router is turned on and gets ip address). However if you run the test without turning on any other client in your network then you may discard this IP reservation for the time being

I tried to set the ip address of the secondary router in the range of the primary router and after saving the changes, the router is not recognized by the computer. The internet connection is also not relayed. Please i'll appreciate if anyone can explain me exactly where i am going wrong or what i have to do.
Thanks.

You could also solve your problem by using an Apple Airport Express or by using a Wireless Access point from brands like Linksys or others, but they are not available in India so you will have to resort to a router which has a repeater mode in it, something like anm has done and you should be good to go. Otherwise Apple Airport expresss is a sure shot option with options of doing more but its also expensive.

I tried to set the ip address of the secondary router in the range of the primary router and after saving the changes, the router is not recognized by the computer. The internet connection is also not relayed. Please i'll appreciate if anyone can explain me exactly where i am going wrong or what i have to do.
Thanks.

I checked some more posts on the internet with your specific router model and confirm that the firmware of your router does not allow that to be used as a repeater/access point.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/belkin-n150-wireless-router-as-range-extender-469773.html

In that case the step 10 of the original setup link that i had provided must have failed in your case and you must have not been able to find any setting in your router that lets it change mode to access point.

Last option for you would be to look at google for some options to install softwares like dd-wrt in router that enables but i think that may not be supported in your n150. however please note that installing such things will void your router's warranty if that is still valid as of now.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back