Lets talk about blurays--movies/ scenes/audio/pq /repeat values

I'm eagerly waiting to start my Blu-Ray collection. Planning to start with Pirates of the Caribbean and then LOTR trilogy, Cars, Ice Age, TDK,Matrix Mongol and Transformers(in that order). These are the BRD's I'm planning to buy once available in India with bit less price(or if I get multi region from US, atleast price is reasonable there).

BTW, Subhash, from where are you renting Blu-Rays in Bangalore? I'm really interested to try it out.

I'm eagerly waiting to start my Blu-Ray collection. Planning to start with Pirates of the Caribbean and then LOTR trilogy, Cars, Ice Age, TDK,Matrix Mongol and Transformers(in that order). These are the BRD's I'm planning to buy once available in India with bit less price(or if I get multi region from US, atleast price is reasonable there).

BTW, Subhash, from where are you renting Blu-Rays in Bangalore? I'm really interested to try it out.

there are two outlets to my knowledge and i use both of them

1-channel 9 , jayanagar ,contact info: 9900136895
2-mothay block busters , infantry road , 080-25590303/4

both provide home delivery and pick up

Keep an eye on this Website, DDLJ has been released in blu-ray .

Bollywood Dvds, Bollywood Movies, Indian Dvd Films, Bollywood Films, Bollywood Music, Bollywood Masala, DVD & VCD, Indian Movies

Yashraj has released up to 10 BD's currently and more in pipe-line. Prices seems to be a bit dearer, However we can understand the market is very limited at the moment.

Hi,

I guess some of these old movies like DDLJ,Lagan etc... are all remastered versions, cause I'm sure they were not shot at 1080p. And these remastered versions cannot match the original bluray versions.

cheers.

Hi,

I guess some of these old movies like DDLJ,Lagan etc... are all remastered versions, cause I'm sure they were not shot at 1080p. And these remastered versions cannot match the original bluray versions.

cheers.

yup , in remastered versions there definetly is a drop in PQ and SQ

THE CINEMA LASER BLU-RAY DISC REVIEW-- KING KONG

Big home video/ multiregion

This is one disc to definetly add to the BD collection
there are numerous scenes to be watched over and over

The Audio in DTS HD MA is unbelivable
The pic transfer @ 1080p is spot on

A trully collectors disc , do chk out the Extended version ,theres many good scenes which were not there in the Theatrical version

This is the first Disc which bought out the first weakness in my AVR

Hi,

cheers.

Aneelr - I've been reading within our forum and elsewhere that Analog film is having higher resolutions than 1080P, So only the remastering matters. Is that what you're trying to say?

Aneelr - I've been reading within our forum and elsewhere that Analog film is having higher resolutions than 1080P, So only the remastering matters. Is that what you're trying to say?

Analog film's do have higher resolution than 1080p, but it is not by default. It depends on the construction of the lenses used in a particular camera. Different cameras (like 35mm, 110,120...) use different types of analog film lens (which is basically photosensitive emulsion on a plastic sheet.). So, earlier film's were not shot with future HD era in mind. So basically if they are going to be released in bluray, it has to be digitally upscaled, and remastering of sound also will be required.

cheers

THE CINEMA LASER BLU-RAY DISC REVIEW-- KING KONG

Big home video/ multiregion

This is one disc to definetly add to the BD collection
there are numerous scenes to be watched over and over

The Audio in DTS HD MA is unbelivable
The pic transfer @ 1080p is spot on

A trully collectors disc , do chk out the Extended version ,theres many good scenes which were not there in the Theatrical version

This is the first Disc which bought out the first weakness in my AVR

:eek:hyeah: I just got this BD yesterday from landmark for Rs.999/- (DTS-HD-MA), along with BODY OF LIES (DD-TrueHD) and Shrek The Third (DD-TrueHD), each for Rs.999/-.

Just waiting for my player to come.:yahoo:

So that was my first list of Bluray's.
More to come are by Jan are,

LOTR (trilogy)
The Mummy (trilogy)
The Martix (trilogy)
Transformers (1/2)

cannot wait for those:licklips:

cheers.

Analog film's do have higher resolution than 1080p, but it is not by default. It depends on the construction of the lenses used in a particular camera. Different cameras (like 35mm, 110,120...) use different types of analog film lens (which is basically photosensitive emulsion on a plastic sheet.). So, earlier film's were not shot with future HD era in mind. So basically if they are going to be released in bluray, it has to be digitally upscaled, and remastering of sound also will be required.

This is not completely true. The resolution of the reel film depends more on the film used. Most film reels from both Eastman Kodak and Fujifilm have been, for a long time, capable of very high resolution. In digital equivalent, the resolutions of a reel film is equal to between 2000P to 6000P. Till about 1980, the major issue with reel films were what are called granularity. Essentially a raw film contains millions of light sensitive silver halide crystals. When exposed to light, these crystals which are free moving, become uncharged atoms. These uncharged atoms form the image that we see on the screen. Developing chemicals are used to create lower or higher density of these crystals to create lighter and darker shades of images.

Till about the 1980s, it will not possible to bind these uncharged atoms close enough. After being processed, the film ends up with small grains of metallic silver which show up as spots on the film. The issue was worsened with the advent of widescreen where you had a larger film area to cover.

In the 1980s, both Kodak and Fuji solved this problem. Kodak introduced T-Grains that were essentially larger grains that were also more sensitive to light. Fuji introduced SuperF which contained thin hexagonal tubular grains. In the case of Kodak, the new films needed less number of grains to cover the same area thus removing granularity. In the case of Fuji, the hexagonal grains were able to stick closer together literally removing any granularity.

Thus from 1980s onwards we have had very precise films, that have, as I said before, the equivalent of between 2000P to 6000P.

So what is the issue in transfer to digital formats? Basically a couple of them.

ONE, with storage, a film reel deteriorates in quality. Large gaps appear in the film, and you also get a lot of noise which we see as 'rain'. SECOND is the transfer process itself.

For a long time, the transfer process consisted of projecting the reel onto a small screen which in turn was photographed by a digital camera. Since the two technologies worked in different frames per second, there were a number of issues that were solved in unique manner including skipping every 'n'th snap of the reel film and to match the frames per second. In addition when you did this, it was difficult to clean the resultant digital image.

The new process (in which India does a lot of work) is to scan each frame and store them as still images. Each of these images are then worked upon by artists to clean them individually. Sometimes, the audio or parts of the audio are re-recorded if needed.

The cleaned images are put together to form the digital version. Movies such as 'For a Few Dollars More' were cleaned in India.

For a long time, film reel have had a density that we actually more than even our latest 1080P in resolutions. As the transfer and cleaning process improves over time, even a 1950 film can be transferred to BR or any other high digital format. The only questions remains is whether the film owner is ready to spend money to do the expensive transfer process. Movies shot in the recent past have resolutions that is greater than even 2160P. And the transfer is much simpler and economical.

Cheers

Last edited:
:eek:hyeah: I just got this BD yesterday from landmark for Rs.999/- (DTS-HD-MA), along with BODY OF LIES (DD-TrueHD) and Shrek The Third (DD-TrueHD), each for Rs.999/-.

LOTR (trilogy)
The Mummy (trilogy)
The Martix (trilogy)
Transformers (1/2)

cheers.

Revenge of the fallen , has just hit the stores , try Calypso
dont miss out on --terminator salvation / startrek -journey begins , both have amazing transfer

For a long time, film reel have had a density that we actually more than even our latest 1080P in resolutions. As the transfer and cleaning process improves over time, even a 1950 film can be transferred to BR or any other high digital format.......
Cheers

Hi,

Thanks, that was a good piece of Info, I've a small doubt though,

Lets assume that we use THE best technology available to remaster these old movies to BD, will it still match the present day BD's in terms of PQ. For instance, take the BD versions of Rambo:First Blood and Rambo IV, there is a considerable amount of difference in PQ.

thanks.

Hi,

Thanks, that was a good piece of Info, I've a small doubt though,

Lets assume that we use THE best technology available to remaster these old movies to BD, will it still match the present day BD's in terms of PQ. For instance, take the BD versions of Rambo:First Blood and Rambo IV, there is a considerable amount of difference in PQ.

thanks.

annelr I suggest you watching the blade runner, this was shit in 80's and is a fine example of how nice a transfer can be done. So yes I believe the PQ & SQ can be achieved based on the factors that Venkat has quoted.

There will be a difference. New films are transferred when they are fresh. Old films have to be edited either before or after the transfer. In addition, film stock have improved quite a lot over the past few years. New films are closer to 4000P and are edging towards 6000P. Thus when they are shot they are shot with better quality films. In addition, the cameras have improved as well as the film processing technology. Finally, there are a lot of digital footage that are parts of special effects. These can be set at any resolution that the Director wants. In Avatar, for example, James Cameron has literally invented some new cameras for the film.

Old films did not have all these advantages.

Cheers

Last edited:

LOTR (trilogy)
The Mummy (trilogy)
The Martix (trilogy)
Transformers (1/2)

cheers.

Me too got the same yesterday (King Kong). And also I got Transformers (part 1).. Played Transfomers through my PS3, it's good but I was not that impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's really good picture quality but I somehow felt that even a upscaled DVD also looks somewhat similar that. Probably it's because my TV is 720p and 42" but I felt that the experience should've been much better. Or Probably I was expecting too much. Planning to get the same movies in DVD's(from Bigflix) and do a side by side kind comparison. Played LOTR DVD upscaled just to see and I felt that there is not much difference. If i try look too critically then I may see the difference but most of the I would like to enjoy the movie itself.

Me too got the same yesterday (King Kong). And also I got Transformers (part 1).. Played Transfomers through my PS3, it's good but I was not that impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's really good picture quality but I somehow felt that even a upscaled DVD also looks somewhat similar that. Probably it's because my TV is 720p and 42" but I felt that the experience should've been much better. Or Probably I was expecting too much. Planning to get the same movies in DVD's(from Bigflix) and do a side by side kind comparison. Played LOTR DVD upscaled just to see and I felt that there is not much difference. If i try look too critically then I may see the difference but most of the I would like to enjoy the movie itself.

Hi Friend,

To enjoy BD's you surely need a FHD TV. HD ready is not going to help.

cheers.

i think the videp transfer of transformer 1 isnt that good , i too noticed this with the BD, the PQ isnt that great , but the Audio on DD true HD sure is , it cud shake up the whole house

whats the difference between

DTS HD MA / DTS HD HI RES audio, i noticed the latter in a recent BD

DTS HD MA , sounds better

i also find DTS HD MA superior to DD TRUE HD , any comments

DTS-HD Master Audio (DTS-HD MA), and DTS-HD High Resolution are both various versions of DTS-HD. The Master Audio supports unlimited channels and word lengths of upto 24-bits and a sampling frequency of 192KHz. This is in multi channel. In two channel, Master Audio supports sound encoded at 24/96. The Master Audio can support data transfer at variable bit rate upto 24.5 Mbits/second.

Where disc size is an issue, DTS uses a slightly downgraded version of the same audio encoded at a maximum of 6 MBits/second. The sampling frequency is also stepped down to 96KHz.

The specifications of both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are identical excepting for the transfer rates. DTS supports 24.5 MBits/Second while Dolby supports 18 Mbits/second. This could be the reason why you find DTS 'better' though supporters of Dolby will argue with you.

Cheers

I am just waiting for AGNEEPATH.....Vijay Deena Nath Chauhan.....the Husky legendary Amitabh Bachchan's Voice.

Also for Amitabh's Song - Jidhar Dekhoon Teri Tasveer Nazar Aati Hai (in Amitabh's Voice)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back