Looking for suggestions for New Floorstanders in INR 1-1.5L

buxx

Hi Guys,

I currently have Mission M34i Floorstanders which i quite like . I wish to upgrade them now after using them for 14 years or so.
I also have Mission bipole surrounds and a SVS PB-100 Sub. Using my Marantz SR6013 as the AVR doing both Movie & Music duty.
Crossover is set at 80Hz for the Floorstanders.

My usage is Movies (70%) & Streaming Music (30%) (YoutubeMusic, Spotify, Amazon prime etc)

The only gripe I have with my MIssion is that they seem a bit bright- almost as much as I find the Qacoustics to be warm.

My main requirement is to have a better experience while listening to Music and I am not sure which component will have a profound/substantial effect on the SQ. Is it the Speakers, adding an Integrated Amp into the chain, better room acoustics ( even in spite of using Audyssey MultiXT32) ?? Not sure

I have heard a few brands and find the Elac, Focal & Dali sound signature to be closest to what I want , even Qacoustics (bit warm) & Wharfedale (bit bright) also to my taste. (at least, when I demo'ed them at the Dealers)

Budget : 1-1.5 Lacs

I would like your suggestions on the brands and specific models.

Thanks in advance !

P.S : I also wonder what is it that makes speakers less or more expensive ?? Surely the MDF costs the same, the drivers could hardly be that costly ?! heh heh

Hi Guys,

I currently have Mission M34i Floorstanders which i quite like . I wish to upgrade them now after using them for 14 years or so.
I also have Mission bipole surrounds and a SVS PB-100 Sub. Using my Marantz SR6013 as the AVR doing both Movie & Music duty.
Crossover is set at 80Hz for the Floorstanders.

My usage is Movies (70%) & Streaming Music (30%) (YoutubeMusic, Spotify, Amazon prime etc)

The only gripe I have with my MIssion is that they seem a bit bright- almost as much as I find the Qacoustics to be warm.

My main requirement is to have a better experience while listening to Music and I am not sure which component will have a profound/substantial effect on the SQ. Is it the Speakers, adding an Integrated Amp into the chain, better room acoustics ( even in spite of using Audyssey MultiXT32) ?? Not sure

I have heard a few brands and find the Elac, Focal & Dali sound signature to be closest to what I want , even Qacoustics (bit warm) & Wharfedale (bit bright) also to my taste. (at least, when I demo'ed them at the Dealers)

Budget : 1-1.5 Lacs

I would like your suggestions on the brands and specific models.

Thanks in advance !

P.S : I also wonder what is it that makes speakers less or more expensive ?? Surely the MDF costs the same, the drivers could hardly be that costly ?! heh heh
Well the usual suspects at this price point are Polk,Dali, q acoustics, Wharfedale etc. Last month I auditioned xtz towers 95.44 paired with a marantz 8012. It was at the xtz dealer at a sound treated room. It was very good for both movies and music.Check out the link below. It also offers few tuning options to match the room acoustics. Mrp is 1lakh and with discounts it should be available for 90k

Will check out the XTZ.. I knew they made Subs, but did not know that they were into other speakers as well.

These might interest you..

Since you already have a sub, do consider Gallo Strada Reference
No boxy coloration, no crossover to muddy the sound, just clean, pure music.
The only caveat is that they need a lot of juice to sing.

I found the Wharfdale Linton very listenable and a complete package for its price. The sub may not even be necessary- visually easier.

I have listened to other Wharfdale speakers in the past, but this seems cut off a different cloth. I put up listening impressions elsewhere yesterday - please do check it out.

The voices came off well with limited sibilance and good intelligibility - so will work well with movies too.

Sorry came twice! Hence cleared!

if you love your sub based so much wait for a LS3/5 type speaker - Harbeth or Graham or Falcon - if it can be bought used at your budget.

I have the Dali Opticon 8.
It is brand new in the box
Ordered them but they are too big for my room.
Its sound signature is neutral.
Let me know if they interest you. Thanks

Last edited:
I found the Wharfdale Linton very listenable and a complete package for its price. The sub may not even be necessary- visually easier.

I have listened to other Wharfdale speakers in the past, but this seems cut off a different cloth. I put up listening impressions elsewhere yesterday - please do check it out.

The voices came off well with limited sibilance and good intelligibility - so will work well with movies too.

OTOH..the sub may augment as well.

Lower bass needs good radiating area and there is only so much an 8 incher can do.

Taking nothing away from the Lintons or the subwoofer as well.

Rgds

You can add focal 926 to that list. Heard them recently with PM8005 and found them quite decent plus they don't need massive amplification. Recent close out prices bring them within your specified range.

You could look at KEF R500/700 as well, along with the other usual suspects that is. The R300/500/700 series is now discontinued and are being offloaded by ProFx at heavy discounts, read 30% minimum or even higher if you can pester them enough.
I was this close to getting the R700 myself, really good speakers. Very transparent tonally, goes deep and I did not find them bright at all.

You could Try Wharfedale evo 4.4, Yes you read it Right, wharfedale with AMT tweeters looks doing Magic and could find only positive reviews across.

Before you change speakers, look at the room, speaker placement and cables.
Might be a good idea to post your room details.

Before you change speakers, look at the room, speaker placement and cables.
Might be a good idea to post your room details.

Thank you that's exactly my concern.
What if I spend all that money & still end up with bright speakers?!

Room size : 16*12*10, concrete walls, marble floor (carpet 5*7')

Room size : 16*12*10, concrete walls, marble floor (carpet 5*7')
Bright or warm depends on the frequency response graph of the speaker..
With louder bass relative to the treble you will get warmer sound

Since you prefer a neutral sound signature, I'd suggest the following:
1. Dali Opticon 5. You can Google the reviews but these are beautiful speakers. Owners testify that.
2. MA Bronze 6 - Excellent pair of speakers.

You will definitely not end up with bright speakers if you choose Dali or Wharfedale.
They are mostly neutral and warm speakers.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back