Magnepan 3.6R Repair

HIEND-Raja

Hi, I have bought recently Magnepan 3.6R speaker, one speaker have buzz/rattle sound, I know this problem due to wires peel of from mylar. This speaker sounding very good. Seems this speaker 17 years old. Magnepan have repair kit including wires and glues. I was try to find kit, but not able find anywhere. As per youtuber recommend use "3M 30NF Fastbond Contact Adhesive" this bond available in Amazon.in price very high 8426RS 946ml.
My question is anybody have experience on this speaker repairing, please share with me what glue can I use alternatively available in India. Thanks

Attachments

• Magnepan 3.7i.jpg
    Magnepan 3.7i.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
It seems you can use any rubber contact adhesive which can be removed with acetone/xylene. Pidilite DHR_037 is one example. You can experiment by getting a mylar sheet, stick wire to it and then see if you can remove it with acetone. You have to test removal to fix any mistake that can happen. This user in this post has used DAP Weldwood contact cement.

It seems you can use any rubber contact adhesive which can be removed with acetone/xylene. Pidilite DHR_037 is one example. You can experiment by getting a mylar sheet, stick wire to it and then see if you can remove it with acetone. You have to test removal to fix any mistake that can happen. This user in this post has used DAP Weldwood contact cement.
Thanks for quick reply, I had try with rubber base contact adhesive, The Manepan diaphragm mylar sheet I had try rubber base contact adhesive you have mentioned, this adhesive too flexible look like rubber, existing adhesive used by Manepan different. Some people used rebuild Manepan with "3M 30NF Fastbond Contact Adhesive" this 3M product not available anywhere in India. No way I have to order 3M 30NF from Amazon.

Magnepan’s sole Distributor in India is Mr Utsav of Watt Effects Audio. He is very helpful gentlemen. They sell new magnepans at a decent price and I am sure he will be able to guide you re repairs. His mobile no;+91 98301 33790. He is based in Kolkata.

Magnepan’s sole Distributor in India is Mr Utsav of Watt Effects Audio. He is very helpful gentlemen. They sell new magnepans at a decent price and I am sure he will be able to guide you re repairs. His mobile no;+91 98301 33790. He is based in Kolkata.
Update: I have received 3M 30NF adhesive and mylar buzz/rattle issues solved. Now I have problem one speaker ribbon tweeter not working. I had contact Mr Utsav - Watts Effect Audio I hope he will help repair or replacement tweeter. Thanks to all.

Hi I would like to update my magnepan repaired, I have re-glued mylar wires with 3M 30NF I have ordered from Amazon cost around 8.5k for (1litter in minimum quantity available) 2 coated both speakers. It is look like original panels after glued. Ribbon tweeter I had contact Watts Effect Audio he offer for new tweeter replacement, the cost very high, than my speaker price. Finally I had contacted Magnepan factory, they supported for sale tweeter repair kit, but price not cheaper! But compared to new tweeter price lower, but this kit can repair 3 tweeters. I have decided to repaired broken ribbon foils initially. I had open tweeter and found someone repaired this tweeter, broken ribbon foils around 4 inch foils missing and very funny they added copper wires between both foil end?! just leave wire under foil with SR glued?? :mad: I don't how ribbon foil will conduct on copper wire??. Final I use aluminum foils cut exactly same size and rolled on foil with knurling like original foil and folded foil zig zagged and again crimped another aluminum foils across the foils on both end, foil glued with magnet used "Araldite Klear Fast & Clear Epoxy Adhesive". finally test tweeter for 15 hours working perfectly exactly like new.

Attachments

• Magnepan 3.6R.jpg
    Magnepan 3.6R.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Magnepan 3.6R Tweeter Ribbon.jpg
    Magnepan 3.6R Tweeter Ribbon.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Magnepan 3.6R Tweeter Ribbon Repaired.jpg
    Magnepan 3.6R Tweeter Ribbon Repaired.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 43
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back