Need Help Building My First HTPC

disneyschumi

Hi Guys,

I am Planning to build Decent HTPC Mostly for HD and 3D Movies Playback and basic gaming sometimes... i also have PS3 its just have too much of restriction..Please Help me choose the right Hardware for the above. My budget is not more then 25K. I have decided to Built on Intel i3 Gen Platform....

Only thing i am sure is going with Intel i3 3220, Help me choose right motherboard and Case...and also right Graphic Card to fit the above...

Thanks a Lot

Stick to the PS3 if possible. Use a program called mkv to vob. I used to own a ps3 and sold off in favor of media players/ blu ray player but regretting now :) the video quality of ps3 is one of the best.

Hi Guys,

I am Planning to build Decent HTPC Mostly for HD and 3D Movies Playback and basic gaming sometimes... i also have PS3 its just have too much of restriction..Please Help me choose the right Hardware for the above. My budget is not more then 25K. I have decided to Built on Intel i3 Gen Platform....

Only thing i am sure is going with Intel i3 3220, Help me choose right motherboard and Case...and also right Graphic Card to fit the above...

Thanks a Lot

DId you even try searching the forums before posting this query, there are truck loads of HTPC threads that would more or less address your concerns ......

Just a few if you had searched are listed below ....

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/18571-sam9s-htpc-project-powered-xbmc.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...47732-ready-made-goodlooking-htpc-option.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/47491-htpc-build.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/45792-help-me-compile-my-htpc.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/45470-need-advice-gaming-htpc.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/46216-amd-a4-4000-htpc-build.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...2028-htpc-server-based-amd-e-350-win-7-a.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/45042-htpc-suggestion-15k.html

Thanks a Lot

FYI: I don't know about specific availability and prices in your area, but can tell you the following based on newegg which generally has the most reliable prices:
i3 3220 - 55W - sells for $125. This older model is equipped with HD 2500 which will definitely require a separate graphics card

i3 4130 - 54W - sells for $130. This model however is equipped with HD 4400 and easily does full HD and even 4k. You don't need a graphics card with this.

i3 4130T - 35W - sells for $140. This model is identical to the previous one but consumes very little power - 35W compared to 54W. And it is only $10 extra. It too has HD 4400. With such low power consumption (meaning - low heat generation) - and without needing a graphics card, you could easily fit this in a very very small cabinet or in a bigger cabinet but not have to worry at all about fans and cooling etc. And that's often a big issue with HTPC cabs.

Last edited:
Well for 4th gen not many motherboard options are available...and also its bit expensive compared to 3rd gen...and i am going with dedicated graphic card as i want it for basic gaming also..

Wanted to know whts the best Motherboard with with Wifi Options...is there any Available around 5-6k.
and also Should i go with Mini ATX or Micro ATX ...

Well for 4th gen not many motherboard options are available...and also its bit expensive compared to 3rd gen...and i am going with dedicated graphic card as i want it for basic gaming also..

Wanted to know whts the best Motherboard with with Wifi Options...is there any Available around 5-6k.
and also Should i go with Mini ATX or Micro ATX ...

IMHO, I am in the same boat and am waiting for kaveri, due in the next 1-2 months.

Guys will Intel G2020 will be enough for an HTPC running XMBC and for 3d movies playback and other entertainment need. i will be using dedicated graphic card with this...including basic gaming...
Intel i3 3220 is arond 7500-8000Rs where as Intel G2020 is 4500Rs...

and also can anyone suggest me good motherboad within 6k. in Micro ATX form factor....
and also is GT 620 is enough for HTPC for 3D and Movie Playback with Basic gaming or should i have to go for GTX 650 0r GTX 645

G2020 is more than enough.
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - 5000 from flipkart
If you are going to game, then GTX 650 or atleast ATI HD7750. For HTPC only, GT620 is enough.

+1 to the processor.
There is another mobo from Intel .... DZ75ML-45K. It did cost me 4.5k at local store.
BTW... G2020 did cost me 3.3K from the same store.

GT610/620 will be more than enough for HTPC purpose (like HDCP/3D etc). However I haven't tried 3d yet.

For serious gaming with ultra settings you should get a GTX. But only in case of hi end gaming.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

After Reading lot i have decided to go with Intel G2020 which is priced around 3600Rs and Motherboard Asrock B75 Pro3-M Which is priced around 5000Rs. Now i am confused with Graphic Card between Nvidia GT640 DDR5 Vs AMD HD7750 or HD6670 DDR5. Which is serves well for HTPC as well as bit of Gaming,
- Will the Above prosessor able to do justics with this Graphic Card.
- Or Should i stick with basic GT620 or GT630 or any AMD Cards in that range..

Suggest you build your pc first and try a few games. With an intel i5 3rd generation and 8 gb Ram I am yet to come across a game which I cannot play. Most recently I could easily play far cry3 batman arkham origins and splinter cell blacklist on my laptop.

Thanks,
But the main purpose of this is to serve as HTPC and budget is 25k including everything....its not a gaming Rig,,,Gaming is just an Option..

AMD Confirmed the Kaveri desktop APU release date to be Jan 14, 2014 in the developer conference.
Lot of expectations from Kaveri as this is the first chip with HSA, hUMA and AMD TrueAudio.
Most anticipated release..

IMHO, I am in the same boat and am waiting for kaveri, due in the next 1-2 months.

Just to add here OP should ideally get a USB3 setup with onboard USB3 header (for USB3 front panel connection). Boards with USB3 headers are not common.

Hi Guys,

After Reading lot i have decided to go with Intel G2020 which is priced around 3600Rs and Motherboard Asrock B75 Pro3-M Which is priced around 5000Rs. Now i am confused with Graphic Card between Nvidia GT640 DDR5 Vs AMD HD7750 or HD6670 DDR5. Which is serves well for HTPC as well as bit of Gaming,
- Will the Above prosessor able to do justics with this Graphic Card.
- Or Should i stick with basic GT620 or GT630 or any AMD Cards in that range..

HD7750 will be more than sufficient for HTPC (and future proof to some extent), and also runs fairly cool - 5W at idle and 50-75W at max load. If you pair it with a T series Intel CPU that consumes 35W (instead of 54W) for which the price increase is actually quite small, you get a HTPC system that will idle at about 10W, will consume 100-120W even at peak load, and will have plenty of GPU horsepower in reserve.

A system like this will be very easy to cool, will run silently, and you can fit it into a small cabinet and have a lower power PSU without too much hassle.

By the way, the top of the line Kaveri CPU/GPU combo that will launch in Jan will have the same GPU power (512 stream processors) as the 7750. I think it will retail for about $150 and will have a TDP of 100W. Since it will share RAM and not have dedicated 1GB of high bandwidth GDDR5 memory, Kaveri will haev about 25-30% less GPU power than 7750.

So, with your current build, you are more or less hitting the same price point, power consumption, and better GPU performance. Of course the big attraction will be that a lower model of Kaveri will give you a CPU+GPU solution at about $100 and with about 50% less performance - but still more than enough for HTPC and casual gaming. And you still have to wait a few months for this.

All this is conjecture of course. I'm only saying all this because this is exactly what I am mulling over as well.

Guys i finally managed to find Cooler Master Mini 210 Micro ATX HTPC case,...will be getting on Monday....Only problem with that is..it supports only Low Profile Cards.....can anyone suggets me gud low profile graphic cards......can regular garphic card be converted to Low Profile card... how to check if the card is low profile while buying online.....

Cooler Master: Mini 210

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back