Need help to buy amp within 30k budget

akshaye

Hello guys,

Finally I got permission from my wife to buy amplifier for my Boston Acoustics A26 speakers:) And budget is 30k Max. My room size is 16ft x 10ft and I have currently listening these speaker through soundware digital cinema. The following amps are within my budgets.

1: marantz pm6005 30k (currently unavailable:sad:) Need to audtion
2: marantz pm6006 37k (need to stretch to get it) Need to audition
3: marantz pm5005 20k (will save my money so that I can invest it in stands) need to audtion
4: Marantz MCR511 31k (within my budget) Audtioned and sounded good to me
5: NAD C326bee 45k (not available anywhere to audition and also costly)
6: Cambridge Audio (no clue where I can audition it in mumbai, please suggest the place to audtion)

So I think there are no other amps to audtion apart from Marantz (MZ Audio) in Mumbai within my budget. Nad looks really expensive (available at lakozy) If yes can you guys suggest me the places. Also is Nad worth to pay that much extra?

Also I am still confused between pm6005/6 and MCR511. As I want both the features i.e. bass treble control from PM and blutooth and subwoofer feature from MCR (though I can add sub later for PM too). Can you guys suggest any other models which will have both, with similar sound signature within my budget?

Also these marantz amps are now Made in Vietnam, so I guess does it really matter? Let me know guys on this as well.

Thanks in advance

Hello guys,

Finally I got permission from my wife to buy amplifier for my Boston Acoustics A26 speakers:) And budget is 30k Max. My room size is 16ft x 10ft and I have currently listening these speaker through soundware digital cinema. The following amps are within my budgets.

3: marantz pm5005 20k (will save my money so that I can invest it in stands) need to audtion
6: Cambridge Audio (no clue where I can audition it in mumbai, please suggest the place to audtion)

So I think there are no other amps to audtion apart from Marantz (MZ Audio) in Mumbai within my budget. Nad looks really expensive (available at lakozy) If yes can you guys suggest me the places. Also is Nad worth to pay that much extra?

Also I am still confused between pm6005/6 and MCR511. As I want both the features i.e. bass treble control from PM and blutooth and subwoofer feature from MCR (though I can add sub later for PM too). Can you guys suggest any other models which will have both, with similar sound signature within my budget?

Also these marantz amps are now Made in Vietnam, so I guess does it really matter? Let me know guys on this as well.

Thanks in advance
What is your audio source? If its via pc or mainly digital ; Buy PM 5005 and don't bother about pm 6005..
Buy a dedicated DAC like Modi 2 uber at 15k which will be much better option than buying PM 6005 for digital input and just 5Wpc more over PM 5005. BA26 shine well with dedicated DAC.

Other amps to consider are
Onkyo A9030 or A9010
Yamaha BL 202, A-S301 which are more powerful and rated equally good as PM 6005. These should be available for audition locally. Take BA26 along for audition.

Hello guys,

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Marantz + A26 should make you happy, I have heard this combination, sounded a bit bass heavy to me, this is subjective of course.
There is no real difference on ground in PM6005/6006, I can say that because I am auditioning stereo amps these days to upgrade my setup and heard PM6006 a few times lately and do not see any difference over my existing PM6005.
If model numbers don't bother you much in your head then considering PM6005 could save you some money (hopefully).

You should also possibly try Yamaha amps, one of my friend used to have Norge + A26, and we ended up purchasing Yamaha after Norge broke down.

All the Best

What is your audio source? If its via pc or mainly digital ; Buy PM 5005 and don't bother about pm 6005..

Buy a dedicated DAC like Modi 2 uber at 15k which will be much better option than buying PM 6005 for digital input and just 5Wpc more over PM 5005. BA26 shine well with dedicated DAC.

Other amps to consider are
Onkyo A9030 or A9010
Yamaha BL 202, A-S301 which are more powerful and rated equally good as PM 6005. These should be available for audition locally. Take BA26 along for audition.

I will be mainly using iPad and sony dvd player through USB + some CDS and External Hard disk
If I consider pm5005, will it drive floorstanders if I will upgrade my speakers in future..?

I am assuming you are talking about this https://www.headphonezone.in/products/schiit-modi-2-uber
If I consider this, I think I connect my external hard drive, correct me if I am wrong.

I have heard that Yamahas are bright, even I audition one yamaha avr with BA soundware long time back. So I guess, yamaha is not in my list unless and untill yamaha amp are different than their AVR.

What is your take on MCR511 sound quality wise compare to PMs? As it has blutooth, subout but sadly does not have bass and treble control.

Let me know, thanks

Hi,
Marantz + A26 should make you happy, I have heard this combination, sounded a bit bass heavy to me, this is subjective of course.
There is no real difference on ground in PM6005/6006, I can say that because I am auditioning stereo amps these days to upgrade my setup and heard PM6006 a few times lately and do not see any difference over my existing PM6005.
If model numbers don't bother you much in your head then considering PM6005 could save you some money (hopefully).

You should also possibly try Yamaha amps, one of my friend used to have Norge + A26, and we ended up purchasing Yamaha after Norge broke down.

All the Best

I demoed MCR511 with BA26, I did not find them bass heavy. I still need to compare them with PM5005/6005/6 .

I will be mainly using iPad and sony dvd player through USB + some CDS and External Hard disk
If I consider pm5005, will it drive floorstanders if I will upgrade my speakers in future..?

I am assuming you are talking about this https://www.headphonezone.in/products/schiit-modi-2-uber
If I consider this, I think I connect my external hard drive, correct me if I am wrong.

I have heard that Yamahas are bright, even I audition one yamaha avr with BA soundware long time back. So I guess, yamaha is not in my list unless and untill yamaha amp are different than their AVR.

What is your take on MCR511 sound quality wise compare to PMs? As it has blutooth, subout but sadly does not have bass and treble control.

Let me know, thanks

I don't have much of experience with MCR 511 to be honest, in general the dedicated stereo amps are of a better sound quality than stereo receivers or AVRs especially for music playback. The devices which try to do many things (Bluetooth, USB, network receiver, digital inputs etc) don't excel in the sound quality department, this is a general observation and take it with a pinch of salt. THD of CR 511 is 0.1% as opposed to the THD of PM 5005 at 0.01%. I'd avoid CR 511 for the same reason (though its more appealing to have a single device which can do many things from convenience Point of view).

I am actually suggesting you to go for 2 different devices dedicated for specific purpose, investing in the M2U (Modi 2 uber - your headphonezone link is correct) will definitely improve your audio resolution and overall experience. Modi 2 will take coaxial digital input from your DVD player and give analog output to PM 5005, it cannot be connected directly to the external storage, alternatively you can buy a HD media player (Wd live, Asus oplay, Android TV box , Q5/Q10 pro, X streamer box etc) with digital output to be connected to the DAC like Modi 2 uber.

Yes pm 5005 may not be adequate for demanding floor standers if you were to upgrade in future, in that case getting more powerful yamaha or onkyo models makes lot more sense. There's used Cambridge 651a & many other used amps (if you are OK with buying pre-owned stuff) in classified section which can be considered too.

Stereo amps of same companies differ a lot from their AVR siblings and don't give too much importance to bright, warm signatures from Internet reviews as audio is highly subjective experience. Listen for yourself with BA26 and decide instead of read and decide. The same Yamaha which you may avoid now (saying it'll be bright etc) will be most spirited if you were to get wharfdale floorstanders later. I am of the opinion that most of the amps can be configured to a setting, suitable for any musical tastes. Keep your mind open and listen without prejudice, take your speakers and audio files you've listened previously for auditioning.
Hopefully this helps.

If some friend can carry AMP for you from US
then get NAD D3020 ( 400 USD ).

Mine is on it's way :eek:hyeah:

i will be mainly using ipad and sony dvd player through usb + some cds and external hard disk
if i consider pm5005, will it drive floorstanders if i will upgrade my speakers in future..?

if i consider this, i think i connect my external hard drive, correct me if i am wrong.

I have heard that yamahas are bright, even i audition one yamaha avr with ba soundware long time back. So i guess, yamaha is not in my list unless and untill yamaha amp are different than their avr.

What is your take on mcr511 sound quality wise compare to pms? As it has blutooth, subout but sadly does not have bass and treble control.

Let me know, thanks

mcr 511 has bass & treble control

I don't have much of experience with MCR 511 to be honest, in general the dedicated stereo amps are of a better sound quality than stereo receivers or AVRs especially for music playback. The devices which try to do many things (Bluetooth, USB, network receiver, digital inputs etc) don't excel in the sound quality department, this is a general observation and take it with a pinch of salt. THD of CR 511 is 0.1% as opposed to the THD of PM 5005 at 0.01%. I'd avoid CR 511 for the same reason (though its more appealing to have a single device which can do many things from convenience Point of view).

I am actually suggesting you to go for 2 different devices dedicated for specific purpose, investing in the M2U (Modi 2 uber - your headphonezone link is correct) will definitely improve your audio resolution and overall experience. Modi 2 will take coaxial digital input from your DVD player and give analog output to PM 5005, it cannot be connected directly to the external storage, alternatively you can buy a HD media player (Wd live, Asus oplay, Android TV box , Q5/Q10 pro, X streamer box etc) with digital output to be connected to the DAC like Modi 2 uber.

Yes pm 5005 may not be adequate for demanding floor standers if you were to upgrade in future, in that case getting more powerful yamaha or onkyo models makes lot more sense. There's used Cambridge 651a & many other used amps (if you are OK with buying pre-owned stuff) in classified section which can be considered too.

Stereo amps of same companies differ a lot from their AVR siblings and don't give too much importance to bright, warm signatures from Internet reviews as audio is highly subjective experience. Listen for yourself with BA26 and decide instead of read and decide. The same Yamaha which you may avoid now (saying it'll be bright etc) will be most spirited if you were to get wharfdale floorstanders later. I am of the opinion that most of the amps can be configured to a setting, suitable for any musical tastes. Keep your mind open and listen without prejudice, take your speakers and audio files you've listened previously for auditioning.
Hopefully this helps.
Aren't floorstanders usually easier to drive than bookshelfs because of their bigger cabinet

I am trying hard to check the demos for other brand, but no other amps are within my budget sadly. It's really irritating

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

Emotiva series is available on HTStore website. Had it on my radar for a long time. That or Onkyo 9030. Needs an auditioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, thank you guys for your help. Now, I had audition all the marantz amps.

Listen mcr511 again, I liked it very much. But when I listen om6004, omg what a melodious sound, with beautiful mid range, tight bass and sparkling highs. I just loved it. But it doesn't have blue tooth. So I again listen mcr511. Now comparing to pm, the mids, highs sounded slightly unclear and bass was not defined as mcr. But now the problem is it has Bluetooth, but pm doesn't. Also, pm6004/5 is now discontinued. So the guy at store suggested to go for pm5005 with Logitech Bluetooth receiver. Also I can not connect subwoofer to pm5005, sad.

So can you guys suggest me PM5005 + Bluetooth option will sound better than mcr511? Are there any very high quality Bluetooth receiver there which I can connect to PM5005 to retain the quality of sound which it is capable to produce normally? I know I can connect subwoofer to pm6006, and sales guy told me that it can be contacted to 5005 to, but I am not sure if I can , can I?

I really need to finalise this before this week, so please let me know what u guys think

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

What is your source? Why are you so keen on bluetooth?
Sound quality should be paramount. Features come later.
Do take an audition of Norge amps also. There are many FMs using Norge.

akshaye, as NatureLover said strict with the amp which gives better sound quality first. you can even buy a bluetooth adapter/receiver separately to the wireless devices.

Also audition some denon series. I too heard that the marantz are good..

So can you guys suggest me PM5005 + Bluetooth option will sound better than mcr511? Are there any very high quality Bluetooth receiver there which I can connect to PM5005 to retain the quality of sound which it is capable to produce normally?

You can always opt for Logitech/Belkin Bluetooth receiver which are VFM. if your are looking for more high-end receivers then check out Crystal Acoustics Bludac. Had seen one on-sale on Olx.

https://www.olx.in/item/crystal-acoustics-bludac-box-piece-ID18Mwow.html#0be96b77b5

I know I can connect subwoofer to pm6006, and sales guy told me that it can be contacted to 5005 to, but I am not sure if I can , can I?

Adding a Subwoofer definitely gives the advantage of generating the punch at very min vol as well. If you have A+B combination on your Integrated amp which PM5005 does have, then connect sub to B output on amp & provided Subwoofer has High line input option too.

This way you can use A speakers without sub & when you need Sub to be activated put in A+B selection.

Cheers,
Binu

You can always opt for Logitech/Belkin Bluetooth receiver which are VFM. if your are looking for more high-end receivers then check out Crystal Acoustics Bludac. Had seen one on-sale on Olx.

https://www.olx.in/item/crystal-acoustics-bludac-box-piece-ID18Mwow.html#0be96b77b5

Adding a Subwoofer definitely gives the advantage of generating the punch at very min vol as well. If you have A+B combination on your Integrated amp which PM5005 does have, then connect sub to B output on amp & provided Subwoofer has High line input option too.

This way you can use A speakers without sub & when you need Sub to be activated put in A+B selection.

Cheers,
Binu

Hi Binu,

Thanks a lot for your efforts to reply on my queries. Have you noticed difference in sound quality when listening through these bluetooth devices? Does investing in very high quality bluetooth receiver really effect the sound quality?

Thanks in advance

akshaye, as NatureLover said strict with the amp which gives better sound quality first. you can even buy a bluetooth adapter/receiver separately to the wireless devices.

Also audition some denon series. I too heard that the marantz are good..

Hi Vinoth, thanks for your input. I am almost finalising with pm5005. But wanted to make sure if is it really worth to invest on high quality bluetooth receiver and does it really effect the sound quality?

Thanks

Hopefully this helps.

Hi drkrack,

Can you also suggest the high quality dac which also handles bluetooth?

Hi Binu,

Thanks a lot for your efforts to reply on my queries. Have you noticed difference in sound quality when listening through these bluetooth devices? Does investing in very high quality bluetooth receiver really effect the sound quality?

Thanks in advance

End of the day majority of the audio processing will be done by the PM5005 hence i will suggest use the budget receiver just to capture in the form of wireless streaming source. Ensure the source bit rates are not compromised.

If you feel there is some compromise on the source, then i think the high quality bluetooth receiver like Crystal Acoustics Bludac which has Wolfson DAC might come to rescue & improve the overall experience. These device does has additional features too like NFC, Auto Reconnect, Ultra Small, aptX quality audio, Optical digital output which you will find missing in budget receivers like Logitech/belkin.

To summarize there is difference in budget & high-end receivers, decide on what suites you the best as per your needs.

Cheers,
Binu

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back