New Speakers for Musical Fidelity A 3.2

I second B&W's Cm series or even better the 8 series. I have been using the n805's for the past 4 years and have yet to find a better speaker in the $3000 range (us pricing). I also own a pair of Usher BE 718 - that come close to the performance of the 805 but I still rate the 805 higher - albeit both being stand mounters.
You can also read my impressions on the CM1 based on a review I did on them a couple of years ago for soundstage.
SoundStage! Equipment Review - B&W CM1 Loudspeakers (5/2007)
I believe the CM9 has been receiving rave reviews - though I have yet to listen.
Only caveat I would have is that their pricing in India is highly elevated so they may not be such a good VFM.
Cheers
Sid

Very impressive Mr Sid Vootla!!!
I had read this earlier but now i read it again in detail as its a forum member s opinion on a brand I like.
U have the N 805 and I have the 805 signature. How do u compare them? i.e if u have heard them both.
I dont rave about my speaker generally but I would like to add here that any one interested in a quality BS should consider this ageing speaker. Enough quality bass (for me at least), wonderful warm mids and crystal clear & airy highs.
Rgds

Thank you Dinyaar -at this risk of hijacking this post:eek:hyeah: - I did hear the 805s - and to tell you the truth - it is a better speaker than the n805. I felt the sound was more airy and detail retrieval was superior. Mid range on downwards the difference was less pronounced but still evident.
You know what - when I am ready to get rid of my N805 I will definitely consider the 805s.
You are absolutely right regarding bass. They put out absolutely wonderful and satisfying frequencies upto about 40hz and even lower depending upon room treatment - though if I am not wrong they are rated to about 50hz.
Cheers
Sid

I have heard the n805's briefly couple of songs and immediately liked its warm / resolving character.

Some other speakers I think highly of:

Green mountain audio EOS (Neutral sound-for the evolved listener)
Proac response 1SE (Warm)
Mini dancer from Usher ( not a warm speaker, this one)

Ok Mr.Dinyaar and Mr.Sidvee

Who is the GOOD guy who is going to give the B&W Speakers to me., any thing is ok for me . be it 805s or just 805.:D

I really dont want that Klipsch and Elac. The Thiel should be way above my budget , any way i am going there this weekend and let me check these models also. How about the Sonus faber Toy . Has any one auditioned these speakers , they look very sexy:licklips: and the Hometheater Mag has some good reviews on that speakers.
Also i am offered a used Epos M22 speakers .how are they rated and what should be the best price for a used Epos M22 ( should be 4 years of age)
Thanks

Well Tharun in that case I am certainly the BAD GUY!!!
Sid on the other hand seems to be a GOOD GUY.

Go for the audition Tharun and we take this on from there.
Have fun and carry a diverse collection of music.
Rgds

Tharun:

Good you didn't opt for Elac and Klipsch, and in my IMO their HF are too much for my liking and guess yours too. Yes, the SF Toy is a good choice, it's a wonderful little BS speaker that can go head to head with a quality FS, but with your budget, I might as well look for the best FS that your money can buy. I guess if Toy is available here in India or not. Have to check it out with Abs. Phase in Bangalore.

:)

Vinod , I think the klipsch and elac are more suited for the HT. The Toy Floorstanders are priced at 1.5 lac in India , have to audition that , if time permits.
Bad Boy sir , can you please inform me the pricing of the B&W CM1 speakers in India.

Tharun.

Tharun:

SF Toy is a bookshelf speaker and SF Toy Tower is FS, which one are you opting for?

Last edited:
the new RX6 can partner well with most amps and its a winner.:)

Hi Vinod, Dinyaar and others
Is this true for all speakers above a certain price point ? Can you elaborate more on this?

What I mean is that as all say NAD is a warm sounding amp and if paired with a warm sounding speaker it wont be an idle setup

I ask this because not everytime you like the speaker + amp combo from the same dealer. Also sometimes you don't have the required budget to upgrade both speakers and amp together and just upgrade the speaker and use the existing amp as a stop gap arrangement (I am planning to upgrade my system and speakers is the first upgrade i am looking at. Am not happy neither with my amp or speakers)

Hi Vinod, Dinyaar and others
Is this true for all speakers above a certain price point ? Can you elaborate more on this?

What I mean is that as all say NAD is a warm sounding amp and if paired with a warm sounding speaker it wont be an idle setup

I ask this because not everytime you like the speaker + amp combo from the same dealer. Also sometimes you don't have the required budget to upgrade both speakers and amp together and just upgrade the speaker and use the existing amp as a stop gap arrangement (I am planning to upgrade my system and speakers is the first upgrade i am looking at. Am not happy neither with my amp or speakers)

Hi:

Sorry to OP for discussing this in his thread.

Yes, a warm sounding amp plus laid-back speakers will result in dull and boring sound, but this sound could be liked by somebody. You're right about the speakers and amp of your choice available under one roof, but that's the state of most dealers here in India, we need to live with that.

IMO, select the best speakers your budget can buy, one that you can live with for some years instead of swapping boxes. I think rest you've answered to your own question.

What is your current setup ?

Last edited:
Hi Tharun,
Not too sure of CM1 pricing (In the US they were $900) - but if you are planning to spend 1.5 lac - along with any floorstander you may audition - when you do find a b&w dealer please do audition the 805s. IMHO - this speaker will outperform many floorstanders of equal and higher value - yup even in the bass department - if they are properly set up. I am not too sure about their pricing either but I think they are around 1.6 - 1.7 lac (don't quote me on that). As always trust your ears - needless to say - reviews are only a guidline.
Cheers
Sid

Hi Guys,
A CM1 should be about 75K and the 805s about 1.9L. This is inclusive of VAT. There may be scope for bargain.

Rikhav in theory components erring in the same direction are not advised. Example could be an Arcam+ Avalon. BUT there will be people who will like that sound too, just a majority will find it dull. Now the MA RX6 i have not heard so cant really comment but most MA work with anything but bright/edgy sounding gear. Hence people suggest a Nad/MA or an Arcam/MA (my suggestion) as one compensates for the supposed shortfall of the other and u end up with a fairly balanced sounding combo. I dont think there is ANY speaker regardless of price that will work with ANY amplification really.

Tharun if looking for a FS audition the CM7 (i think thats the Model), the 3 way B&W FS. This is an option to consider too.
Rgds

hi tharun
just for a change in direction in direction why not consider bipolars for a change?
i can give 2 suggestions:
1) planars from magnepan mg1.6 or mg12 :fantastic details and lush midrange, but these are extremely placement sensitive.i plan to own one someday.
2)definitive technology bipolars, bp7002 or bp7004
contrary to the general public opinion for stereo music in this forum that these are good for only home theatre, i hve been using these for stereo listening for sometime now with my denon integrated and denon cd player and i myself was surprised when i compared them to many hallowed brands like kef and focals/jmlabs and the deftech sounded more surefooted in base and a nice ,airy midrange.however like magnepans they are placement sensitive and suffer from a narrow sweet spot.
cheers himadri

Himadri
Thanks for the info . I was in a thought that the Def Tech is only suited for the HT , i will check out the Def Tech too. i cant check out the Magnepan , because no dealers here stocks them.

Hi

I audition the RS 6 with the Marantz 7003 and the sound was good , But i felt that the sound could be even better, had a demo on Quad22l2 and the sound was very better and finally the GS60 Gold series from Monitor Audio and the sound was Mesmerizing. The hi freq and the mids are very clear and the bass was well extended. The GS 60 was connected to my MF A3.2 , but if there ws more power then the speaker would have sounded even better.
I played the Carpenters and the imaging was perfect and the vocals where coming exactly from the center. I dont know how to explain the quality of music i listen to. Between these three speakers the GS 60 was very impressive ( but the cost is exceeding my budget ) The Quad22l2 is also a good buy , better then the MA RS6 , also auditioned the Tannoy FS speakers ( forgot the model) the sound was very ordinary,. Yet to audition the Proac and the Sonus Faber Toy.
Will the MA GS60 sound better then the Proac and Sonus Faber or do i have to go to bangalore and have a audition of Proac and SF. This week i will be going to one of my friends place and auditon the B&W 685 speakers. Is it worth spending the extra amopunt and go for the GS60 or if i go for RS6 or Quad22L2 and change my amplifier can i get the same result as that of GS 60.
How different are the GS60 and RS6 and Quad22L2?

Thankyou
Tharun.

Great to know your opinion. The Gold series from MA would be icing on the cake in your setup and IMO if your ears liked the SQ from the 60s, then I think you need to buy them provided if you can 'up' the budget because we are talking about a speaker that's going to stay in your room for many many years, right ? - later again when you're able to gather the finances, you can go for a more powerful amp, but that's me in your shoes.

Having said that, you're right the 60s are far superior in every aspect compared to the RS6 and Quad that you auditioned, so I think you have a winner in the GS60s.

But, there are a few wonderful speakers in your list to audition before you pull the plug on the 60s. Yes, you need to hear the new MA RX6 as well before shooting down the Silver series FS from your list.

PS - Never heard Proac or SF, so can't comment how good or bad it will be compared to GS60.

Last edited:
Hi

I audition the RS 6 with the Marantz 7003 and the sound was good , But i felt that the sound could be even better, had a demo on Quad22l2 and the sound was very better and finally the GS60 Gold series from Monitor Audio and the sound was Mesmerizing. The hi freq and the mids are very clear and the bass was well extended. The GS 60 was connected to my MF A3.2 , but if there ws more power then the speaker would have sounded even better.
I played the Carpenters and the imaging was perfect and the vocals where coming exactly from the center. I dont know how to explain the quality of music i listen to. Between these three speakers the GS 60 was very impressive ( but the cost is exceeding my budget ) The Quad22l2 is also a good buy , better then the MA RS6 , also auditioned the Tannoy FS speakers ( forgot the model) the sound was very ordinary,. Yet to audition the Proac and the Sonus Faber Toy.
Will the MA GS60 sound better then the Proac and Sonus Faber or do i have to go to bangalore and have a audition of Proac and SF. This week i will be going to one of my friends place and auditon the B&W 685 speakers. Is it worth spending the extra amopunt and go for the GS60 or if i go for RS6 or Quad22L2 and change my amplifier can i get the same result as that of GS 60.

Thankyou
Tharun.

Tharun,
So you went to Coimbatore I guess. IIRCm there was a hfv member Wilfred who had a pair of MA gold for sale in Bangalore, excellent condition.

I am not sure but if the Usher Mini Dancers are as the same price as MA GS60 you can audition that as well since you are going to Bangalore

Hi

Thankyou
Tharun.

Ok Tharun so your opinion is RS 6 = GOOD, 22L2 = BETTER,GS 60 = BEST.
Not too sure on pricings but i presume the gold will be over a Lac while the RX will be about 75 and so should the quad.
Your amp will be Ok with the GS60 as most MA are easy loads and should be above 90db but do u have the room to accomodate this largish speaker?
I dont have an opinion on the Sonus Fabers but for me the PRO AC is the speaker to beat. I would put it much above a MA for stereo for my tastes.
PMC,Spendor,Pro ac are options u should also try to audition and see if any of these match/beat your preferred MA Gold.
Rgds

Hi

You are comparing speakers at different price levels and while the feature comparison is fair, the pricing is not. I would look into Quads along with the Gold series and the RS6 as a step below. From your observatoins they are affecting you in a similar way. With that said, you are using a very "ordinary" amp in the 7003. If you drove them with the MF then the fidelity and soundstage woudl be enhanced as well.

Not sure what pricing you are getting on the Quads, but if they come lower than the Gold, it woudl be my preference over the Gold series. I would look inot RS6 only if you could not afford the above.

Thankyou
Tharun.

As with premium quality components, Sonus Faber and Proac have a distinct sound signature. I would audition with your fav CD player and fav CDs before making a call. I have heard both and would pick Proac (dont know which model you are look at) over SF.

You should also search around on the forum for more opinions as these have been discussed earlier.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back