New Speakers for Musical Fidelity A 3.2

Hi
I contacted Audio people and they quoted 1.8L for the MA GS 60 :mad: But i am getting one from another supplier well below that price.
Dinyaar , I am yet to audition the Proac , have to contact Prithivi and get an appointment with him , before taking the final decision. reg the PMC and Spendor , not decided anything about these speakers. My room size is 20 * 12 feet so i think it can accommodate large speakers.

Marsilians yes the Quads were sounding better then the MA RS6 and i would definitely go for the Quads then the RS6.

Hi everyone:licklips:

I am using a mission M33 speakers , MF A3.2 amplifier , Marantz SA 7001 SACD Player. My system is sounding good , now its time to upgrade my Mission M33 speakers I have a lakh to spend for the speaker . I prefer Floorstander . The speakers i have shortlisted are Quad , Monitor Audio , Wharfedale , Jamo , Dynaudio , Dali. Yet to audition any of these speakers. I cant audition everthing because most of the speakers are not available here. so please let me know which speakers will sound good for my system. My taste of music is mostly slow numbers such as ghazals ,old rafi and Mukesh songs , English Slow rock and pop , Country songs. I also listen to Malayalam and tamil film songs.

Tharun Balakrishnan.

i would suggest that out of the 1 lakh rupees, spend 10000 for going to a city where you can audition all speakers. :)

Hi tarun,
I have the quad 22l2 speakers and i had a side by side comparison with rs6, the mids and lows of quad 22l2 are far better than rs6 and only the highs are good in rs6 and that to for a limited time.

Hi Tharun - Not to add to your confusion :lol: but check out Robert Harleys (editor of absolute sound) comment on the Usher be-718. I concur with him on the Be-718 - with a solid state amp of apprx. 150w power it is a fabulous speaker. I am still trying to match the right amp with mine - have a bel canto s300 - planning an odyssey soon.
Cheers
Sid

Robert Harley -- Wed, 02/04/2009 - 10:11
Keep in mind that you need to use Spectral or MIT cable with the Spectral power amplifiers. The amplifiers have a bandwidth of 3MHz and can oscillate with some loudspeaker loads if the output isn't filtered by a networked cable. If you think the Be-718 is fabulous with an AVR, wait until you hear them with the Berkeley DAC and a Spectral amplifier.

Hi Tharun - Not to add to your confusion :lol: but check out Robert Harleys (editor of absolute sound) comment on the Usher be-718. I concur with him on the Be-718 - with a solid state amp of apprx. 150w power it is a fabulous speaker. I am still trying to match the right amp with mine - have a bel canto s300 - planning an odyssey soon.
Cheers
Sid

Robert Harley -- Wed, 02/04/2009 - 10:11
Keep in mind that you need to use Spectral or MIT cable with the Spectral power amplifiers. The amplifiers have a bandwidth of 3MHz and can oscillate with some loudspeaker loads if the output isn't filtered by a networked cable. If you think the Be-718 is fabulous with an AVR, wait until you hear them with the Berkeley DAC and a Spectral amplifier.

Totally agree - The Be718 is a better speaker than anything from Monitor Audio below the Platinum. It deserves to be auditioned - especially at the official price the Usher retails for.

Sidvee - why stop at odyssey. Why not a full blown Symphonic Line :).

Last edited:
Reignofchaos - small thing called affordability:eek:hyeah:is holding me back - that and the prospect of being left single by my significant other if I spend that much:lol:

@Sid.
Go for the extreme version or even the one with the glass ceiling mod. I find that you need an amp with extremely clean highs for the 718 to shine :)

Thanks square_wave - exactly what I am doing - going for the extreme version from Sridhar at ARN.. BTW if you have one how are you enjoying it? What pre-amp are u using? Please PM me since I dont want to hijack the thread
Cheers
Sid

Hi Sidvee and Square wave ,

Will the Ushers match the MF A3.2 . I have listened to the ushers with my A3.2 and the sound was not very impressive. I dont know if thats because of mismatch of systems. Anyway I dont have any cash left to upgrade my Amplifier:sad:

Tharun - Not having heard the Ushers with the MF A3.2 it is hard for me to comment, but at 115 watts in 8 ohms and 185 watts into 4 ohms the MF sure has the grunt to drive the be718's. Also from what I know of the MF sound, it is usually far from sterile or bleached with a little bit of - if i daresay - tube richness that is usually desirable. So it should serve the Be tweeter of the 718well, and take charge of the 7" woofer.
Make sure you listen to a well broken in 718 and then decide. Regardless - it has to sound good to your ears - you know the old saying - in the eye of the beholder ....et al - in this case in the ears of the beholder:eek:hyeah:.
Also the Be-718 is one of those speakers, IMHO, that can handle a good bit of upgrading in other source equipment- so you will be covered in the future - when you do decide to upgrade.
Cheers
Sid

I remember Sreedhar posting on Asit's thread that the Leben amp (the one bought by Asit) could power the Be718's quiet well. I think its 12 watt per channel. Not absolutely sure
So seeing the specs of the MF you have it should not be a problem.
But you have to see if they both gel well and give you a sound which you like

rikhav , I tried the MF with the 718Be and the outcome was not great., thats the reason i am looking at various options.

Yesterday , had a listen with MA Gold GS 60 with my MF A3.2 and the sound was absolutely stunning, the hi freq is very clear and the bass goes very deep, also auditioned the quad22L2 with the MF and the combination was not upto MA Gold , but when paired with another amplifier ( Krell 400xi) the quad was excellent. So my one option is MA GS 60 and the other is Proac 140 ( which I will be auditioning within this month) . Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks

Hi Tharun
I dont think you are looking for changing the amp as well. So you have to find a suitable speaker.
Is the Proac speaker the one suggested by Dinyaar?
Also if possible try your amp with the Usher Mini dancers. I had read on some thread that Be-718 and The Mini dancers have a very different sound signature

I remember Sreedhar posting on Asit's thread that the Leben amp (the one bought by Asit) could power the Be718's quiet well. I think its 12 watt per channel. Not absolutely sure
So seeing the specs of the MF you have it should not be a problem.
But you have to see if they both gel well and give you a sound which you like

yes, this is correct. Please keep in mind that its not that the Leben will drive it well in high volumes like a higher power amp will. As Sidvee says, its all in the eye of the beholder. This pairing is meant more for someone who values tone, timbre, microdynamics - not for someone who wants to do HT at high volumes, trance, etc. The bottom end grunt will be missing - at lower to mid volumes though it will serve the purpose - its all about what the listener is looking for.

cheers

rikhav , I tried the MF with the 718Be and the outcome was not great., thats the reason i am looking at various options.

Yesterday , had a listen with MA Gold GS 60 with my MF A3.2 and the sound was absolutely stunning, the hi freq is very clear and the bass goes very deep, also auditioned the quad22L2 with the MF and the combination was not upto MA Gold , but when paired with another amplifier ( Krell 400xi) the quad was excellent. So my one option is MA GS 60 and the other is Proac 140 ( which I will be auditioning within this month) . Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks

Hi Tharun
What exactly didnt you like about this combo? what was missing or what was in excess...? Knowing a bit about your tastes the proac may not be to your liking as it is a warmer speaker. I didnt suggest the mini-dancer as it may be above your budget, however it is more likely to be to your tastes than the Be-718. The mini-dancer 1 is also easier to drive and is tad more efficient.

cheers

Hi Sreedhar
I was just giving Tharun an example that his MF wont have a problem driving the Ushers. Maybe the sound from the combo is not to his liking

Hi Tharun
What exactly didnt you like about this combo? what was missing or what was in excess...? Knowing a bit about your tastes the proac may not be to your liking as it is a warmer speaker. I didnt suggest the mini-dancer as it may be above your budget, however it is more likely to be to your tastes than the Be-718. The mini-dancer 1 is also easier to drive and is tad more efficient.

cheers

Hi
I find the Hi freq in the 718 to be little coloured , there was a ear fatigue after say 30 mins or so., I usually listen for longer hours during weekends so I may find difficult to live with these speakers. The Quads and the Dyns on the other hand had a much more pleasing hi freq then the ushers. I dont know if this is due to the mismatching of the systems.

Thanks

I will leave it to others on the forum who own the Be-718, but I have not gotten this comment from anyone so far. The highs on the speaker are quite revealing, however if you feel fatigue, its probably an upstream component somewhere else in the chain and I frankly cant tell you which. In fact, the Be-718 is on the warmer side of neutral (or even compared to a mini-dancer 1).
you may want to check with ROC, sidvee, cranky and others

cheers
Sridhar

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back