Onscreen menu disappears

Love4sound

Dear Fms

From the first two images it’s seen that the content is played in the background when I choose info and the dsp buttons.But when I go to setup the movie does continue to play in the background with the audio but not seen as in the images. Please advice. I have attached my video settings as well

Attachments

• 4D4C6763-17B5-4DF7-A3BB-BEA9F66ADA7B.jpeg
    4D4C6763-17B5-4DF7-A3BB-BEA9F66ADA7B.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 84B411A9-8D6C-45BB-9B36-DF1A96171554.jpeg
    84B411A9-8D6C-45BB-9B36-DF1A96171554.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 4E1F7EA0-9D93-4FAE-9317-09A7F3F8AE06.jpeg
    4E1F7EA0-9D93-4FAE-9317-09A7F3F8AE06.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 7F016BB3-4AA6-4B97-AF88-75D1484A86A5.jpeg
    7F016BB3-4AA6-4B97-AF88-75D1484A86A5.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 8936FA29-FC62-4E9D-9A38-CA9F54F7CCB9.jpeg
    8936FA29-FC62-4E9D-9A38-CA9F54F7CCB9.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 79
Dear Fms

From the first two images it’s seen that the content is played in the background when I choose info and the dsp buttons.But when I go to setup the movie does continue to play in the background with the audio but not seen as in the images. Please advice. I have attached my video settings as well
OSD Menu Overlay doesn’t work with Marantz/Denon in 4K HDR/DV
It’s a hardware limitation - although at worst an annoyance more than anything else

PS: On a side note , couldn’t help notice that your chroma subsampling is not set optimally
For PC/Games, you should ideally be on 4:4:4 or at least 4:2:2

Last edited:
OSD Menu Overlay doesn’t work with Marantz/Denon in 4K HDR/DV
It’s a hardware limitation - although at worst an annoyance more than anything else

PS: On a side note , couldn’t help notice that your chroma subsampling is not set optimally
For PC/Games, you should ideally be on 4:4:4 or at least 4:2:2
Not only in HDR and DV. In every content or even even nothing is played it happens when I go to set up. In HDR and DV the info and dsp OSD display works. How to set it to 4:4;4 or 4;2:2. 4K output I have set it to enhanced

Not only in HDR and DV. In every content or even even nothing is played it happens when I go to set up. In HDR and DV the info and dsp OSD display works. How to set it to 4:4;4 or 4;2:2. 4K output I have set it to enhanced
Ok - I misinterpreted your question.
As far as I can recall, I haven't seen the setup menu as an overlay ever on my Marantz
The setup menu is not even meant to be an overlay if you think about it - Only information overlays such as volume/ Channel info / Surround info are meant to be overlays from a UX perspective

As for chroma subsampling, the entire chain needs to support it. (e.g. ATV has an option to choose between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 in its o/p settings)
Assuming the source supports it and the option is enabled, the HDMI cables need to be fast enough to handle the higher bandwidth - (I had to replace both my Blue rigger cable (AVR in and Out) with Amazon Basics)

Again, the AVR should support it (which it does - don't think Marantz reqired any additional settings for it so presumably the same with Denon

Last, and probably the most confusing is enabling it on the TV - the settings are vaguely worded
In my case, I had to enable UHD color and set the input type as PC (on a Samsung QLED) to enable it - but i understand different TVs have different terminologies for this

On a side note, a higher subsampling rate won't impact movies/TV as the source itself is encoded at 4:2:0
It makes a big impact though when rendering a laptop or ipad output on the screen (subsampling needed is 4:4:4)
As for games, I am not an expert but I believe some but not all games use 4:2:2

As far as I can recall, I haven't seen the setup menu as an overlay ever on my Marantz
The setup menu is not even meant to be an overlay if you think about it - Only information overlays such as volume/ Channel info / Surround info are meant to be overlays from a UX perspective

As for chroma subsampling, the entire chain needs to support it. (e.g. ATV has an option to choose between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 in its o/p settings)
Assuming the source supports it and the option is enabled, the HDMI cables need to be fast enough to handle the higher bandwidth - (I had to replace both my Blue rigger cable (AVR in and Out) with Amazon Basics)

Again, the AVR should support it (which it does - don't think Marantz reqired any additional settings for it so presumably the same with Denon

Last, and probably the most confusing is enabling it on the TV - the settings are vaguely worded
In my case, I had to enable UHD color and set the input type as PC (on a Samsung QLED) to enable it - but i understand different TVs have different terminologies for this

On a side note, a higher subsampling rate won't impact movies/TV as the source itself is encoded at 4:2:0
It makes a big impact though when rendering a laptop or ipad output on the screen (subsampling needed is 4:4:4)
Ok this is happening only after i upgraded to a 4 k tv recently. Previously in my 1080p sony tv both my old denon 2400 and 4500 set up options works as a overlay and i can see the content in the back ground. Tv settings seems to be fine and coming to cables i recently got a 2.0a DAC cables which is good and it even supports e-arc as i tested playing atmos content through usb on tv player and it had no problem sending atmos to the receiver.

Hi,
This will happen with all 4k sources except Bluray. Even Blurays were blacked out earlier, but after a recent update, now it blacks out only when we enter in to speaker settings.

If you have a cable dth connection, try it. There won't be black out and the settings will be properly overlaid (provided ip conversion is set to on, which you already have).

Regarding chroma setup, it has to be done on your source and TV (all latest 4k HDR tv should support 4.4.4). There is no other setting in avr apart from enabling enhanced mode, which you have already done.

What is your source device?.

Hi,
This will happen with all 4k sources except Bluray. Even Blurays were blacked out earlier, but after a recent update, now it blacks out only when we enter in to speaker settings.

If you have a cable dth connection, try it. There won't be black out and the settings will be properly overlaid (provided ip conversion is set to on, which you already have).

Regarding chroma setup, it has to be done on your source and TV (all latest 4k HDR tv should support 4.4.4). There is no other setting in avr apart from enabling enhanced mode, which you have already done.

What is your source device?.
Source is Nvidia shield.I think tv set up is all fine

Source is Nvidia shield.I think tv set up is all fine
Ok...i use shield too. Mine is set to 4.2.0 (10 bit) as well (recommended by shield itself). If you want to change, you can change it in custom display settings under advanced display settings. For my untrained eyes, i couldn't find any difference between 4.2.0 (10 bit) and 4.2.2 (12 bit). 4.4.4 is 8 bit in shield, so i wouldn't bother.
If you find any difference in PQ, with different settings, do let me know...thanks.

Ok...i use shield too. Mine is set to 4.2.0 (10 bit) as well (recommended by shield itself). If you want to change, you can change it in custom display settings under advanced display settings. For my untrained eyes, i couldn't find any difference between 4.2.0 (10 bit) and 4.2.2 (12 bit). 4.4.4 is 8 bit in shield, so i wouldn't bother.
If you find any difference in PQ, with different settings, do let me know...thanks.
Ok i was also suspecting the shield as i have kept it at recommended settings will check later and update if it show any noticeable difference

Ok i was also suspecting the shield as i have kept it at recommended settings will check later and update if it show any noticeable difference
Won't make any difference in normal video playback - the source itself is 4:2:0 as all TV/movies are encoded that way

Won't make any difference in normal video playback - the source itself is 4:2:0 as all TV/movies are encoded that way
Yeah you are right. I did change it to 4:2:2 and didn’t notice any difference. I will go back to recommended settings itself

Yeah you are right. I did change it to 4:2:2 and didn’t notice any difference. I will go back to recommended settings itself
leave it on 4:2:2 - It should make a difference in games and major difference in any PC type rendering

Dear Fms

Hi ,i have denon x1400 H connected via HDMI to TV but not able to see info/dsp on TV as per your 1&2 images.Can you help on this

Hi ,i have denon x1400 H connected via HDMI to TV but not able to see info/dsp on TV as per your 1&2 images.Can you help on this

Info and dsp should be visible with the actual content in the background. Can you explain what happens when you select info/dsp or share an image ?

Info and dsp should be visible with the actual content in the background. Can you explain what happens when you select info/dsp or share an image ?
Hi, preesing info button do not show any info on TV screen while palying movies through external Hard disk connected to TV

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back