Panasonic PV8 deal at ezone

Agreed and understood that full HD does not make visible difference for the 4o odd inches panels and viewing distance of 6+ feet

But are there other features which are available in Full HD only panels, like motionflow, 100Hz, backlight etc. Basically as the panel becomes more expensive a number of additionals become available and Full HD is one of them, Am I right in this assessment and if yes, then are the other features useful or remain a gimmick.

Best Regards,

Dancccc

They definitely do. If you can afford it, nothing better. We only discuss this when it comes which provides best value for money.

Its like comparing a Fabia to a Swift, if you can afford Fabia pick it but you are looking good value then Swift. All these suggestions and comparisons are based purely on requirement.

if you can list the models and your requirement then we can suggest which is the best option :)

I have extensively played PS3 and XBox in 42 plasma HD Ready and Full HD (both Pana) models. At 9 feet distance, we could not make out any difference in the PQ.

But when we did the same thing in LCD and we sat at 4 feet, we did appreciable difference. Again at 9 feet, not much a difference.

This is plain practical eye view of mine keeping aside all technical jargon :)

Not much for technical jargon myself. I've not had the pleasure of playing PS3/XBOX on a plasma yet, but on a Full HD LCD at a distance of 4-5 feet which is the distance gamers usually play at the difference is very much perceivable. Like I've said before only the cost/VFM factor made me go for the PV8, otherwise it would have been a Sony Full HD LCD X series. I only wonder how a Kuro would look seeing so many great things are written about them. Breathtaking I am sure...

Not much for technical jargon myself. I've not had the pleasure of playing PS3/XBOX on a plasma yet, but on a Full HD LCD at a distance of 4-5 feet which is the distance gamers usually play at the difference is very much perceivable. Like I've said before only the cost/VFM factor made me go for the PV8, otherwise it would have been a Sony Full HD LCD X series. I only wonder how a Kuro would look seeing so many great things are written about them. Breathtaking I am sure...

KURO was awesome just fell in love, that too when you play Dead Space the black levels was just mind blowing. We had the blessing playing in a friends Kuro for one hour :)

While it's true that the PV8/80 are on their way out, both are 2008 models and were launched together. PV80 is not a revised version. It is also available at low prices - around 5K more than the corresp PV8 price.

In 2009, is Panasonic planning to come out with newer models over PV8/80? Had been to E Zone today and I asked the sales guy this question. He was not aware of any newer models coming out that would replace the PV8/80.
I have been seriously considering a LCD until now, but after looking at the PV8today, I am open to the plasma option. Picture quality was very good of the regular DVD. That's exactly what I need a LCD / Plasma for. Tata Sky during the week and a couple of DVD movies on weekends. Seems like a real good buy. Only thing he quoted Rs.46,990 and was not willing to come down. He said in Jan. '09, they were selling the PV8 for around Rs.44K. The same deal may come back in Aug. '09 he said.
Anyone on this forum have any info on when prices for PV8 will come back to Rs.44K mark? Are there any newer Panasonic Plasma models coming out soon?

KURO was awesome just fell in love, that too when you play Dead Space the black levels was just mind blowing. We had the blessing playing in a friends Kuro for one hour :)

the kuro is a grand daddy of them all - I had seen the x series and the samsung 7 9back in the US at best buy) but the kuro beats them all. Sports/games/ps3 on it was awesome. Gosh only if i had 3.5 lakhs to spend on a tv.

Anyway I still think over the screen size factor a projector can give the same sort of experience (almost) - gaming or movies could not be better.

about PV8------why do i get distorted images at the corners in most of the full screen version dvds (the corners appear like i am viewing thro a bottle) this happens only on full screen version dvds ,is it anything to do with my settings,its set to 16:9 and the dvdp is also set to 16;9---any suggestions

about PV8------why do i get distorted images at the corners in most of the full screen version dvds (the corners appear like i am viewing thro a bottle) this happens only on full screen version dvds ,is it anything to do with my settings,its set to 16:9 and the dvdp is also set to 16;9---any suggestions

IF
  • you are using original DVDs
  • you have connected the DVD and the TV with a decent cable
  • you have power supply through a stabiliser

THEN

• there is an interference somewhere
  • if it comes at a particular time see if an A/c is on or something
  • check for EMI and RFI

ELSE
  • time to call service center or return TV

Cheers

Seems like a real good buy. Only thing he quoted Rs.46,990 and was not willing to come down. He said in Jan. '09, they were selling the PV8 for around Rs.44K. The same deal may come back in Aug. '09 he said.
eZone normally have their sale in Jan and Aug. If PV8s are still around in Aug, one should get decent discounts.
I've read about people buying PV8s at eZones for 43K over the last few weeks. Bargain hard.

IF
  • you are using original DVDs
  • you have connected the DVD and the TV with a decent cable
  • you have power supply through a stabiliser

THEN

• there is an interference somewhere
  • if it comes at a particular time see if an A/c is on or something
  • check for EMI and RFI

ELSE
  • time to call service center or return TV

Cheers

hi venkat, thnks for the sugesstions, i do use only original dvds(region 1), the dvdp is connected via a Hdmi cable which came along with the philips dvdp, no stabilizer used, i have to chk for interference as i do use an AC ,window mount and the tv is quiet close to it, what is EMI/RFI------------------------but this distorted images at the edges is ONLY with full screen dvds (dvds reformated to fit the screen) but with others (with black bars ) its jst fine

EMI = electromagnetic interference
RFI- radio freq interference.
Usually when your power lines run close and parallel to your signal lines you could expect EMI> You might have noticed your signals getting distorted when there is a lightning etc. All of which is due to EMI

Other than thane is it available to anywhere, like I stay at worli, I checked at Vijay sales, sonymony at prabhadevi. My friend checked at Goregaon hub, ezone, vijay sales. Model is not available there too..

hi venkat, thnks for the sugesstions, i do use only original dvds(region 1), the dvdp is connected via a Hdmi cable which came along with the philips dvdp, no stabilizer used, i have to chk for interference as i do use an AC ,window mount and the tv is quiet close to it, what is EMI/RFI------------------------but this distorted images at the edges is ONLY with full screen dvds (dvds reformated to fit the screen) but with others (with black bars ) its jst fine

Seems to be because of the A/c. Next time, when watching a full screen movies, switch off the A/c. unplug it and see what happens. If the distortion disappears, you have the culprit. If you recall, most good speakers are magnetically shielded as the sound from the speakers could distort the image. This will usually happen near the edges of the TV.

There are distribution boards available with RFI/EMI protection built in. It is best to have that in place.

Cheers

2 quick questions for current PV8/PV80 owners and others having inputs on this too:

1) Does a Plasma screen have more 'reflection' than a CRT? Asking since currently have a CRT. There is some reflection off the screen but OK. If Plasma screen is about the same, then can conclude lighting in living room is OK for Plasma (not too bright) and I can consider Plasma as an option currently.

2) Understand that 'burn-in' is no more an issue with newer Plasmas. However, also have seen threads where 6 to 7 hrs of continuous static viewing could be a concern. Hypothetically speaking, if one were to view Tata Sky for 8hrs a day, would the Tata Sky image on bottom right side get burned in? Asking since, even if pre-cuation is taken in first 100 hrs (break-in period) for new Plasma by flipping channels, the Tata Sky symbol is a constant on all channels.

Other than thane is it available to anywhere, like I stay at worli, I checked at Vijay sales, sonymony at prabhadevi. My friend checked at Goregaon hub, ezone, vijay sales. Model is not available there too..

The guy at Vijay Sales Prabhadevi had told me that it is not available for display but can be ordered. Price quoted was 46 K if I remember correctly.

Kohinoor Thane had it on display some time back, so does E-Zone, inside Big Bazaar at Nirmal Lifestyle, Mulund; saw it last Sunday.

Seems to be because of the A/c. Next time, when watching a full screen movies, switch off the A/c. unplug it and see what happens. If the distortion disappears, you have the culprit. If you recall, most good speakers are magnetically shielded as the sound from the speakers could distort the image. This will usually happen near the edges of the TV.

There are distribution boards available with RFI/EMI protection built in. It is best to have that in place.

Cheers

hi,venkat apart from the A/c i also have my old sonodyne powered spkrs (definetly not shielded) quiet close to the pv8 , will chk out the culprit one by one ,but again this happens with only a few dvds ,will chk out and tell you

2 quick questions for current PV8/PV80 owners and others having inputs on this too:

1) Does a Plasma screen have more 'reflection' than a CRT? Asking since currently have a CRT. There is some reflection off the screen but OK. If Plasma screen is about the same, then can conclude lighting in living room is OK for Plasma (not too bright) and I can consider Plasma as an option currently.

2) Understand that 'burn-in' is no more an issue with newer Plasmas. However, also have seen threads where 6 to 7 hrs of continuous static viewing could be a concern. Hypothetically speaking, if one were to view Tata Sky for 8hrs a day, would the Tata Sky image on bottom right side get burned in? Asking since, even if pre-cuation is taken in first 100 hrs (break-in period) for new Plasma by flipping channels, the Tata Sky symbol is a constant on all channels.

Since no Plasma owners including the pro-plasma fans (madbullram, moserw etc.) have responded to this, is it safe to assume that 'occasionally' burn in of Tata Sky, Big TV etc. logos' is still a possible issue?

Since no Plasma owners including the pro-plasma fans (madbullram, moserw etc.) have responded to this, is it safe to assume that 'occasionally' burn in of Tata Sky, Big TV etc. logos' is still a possible issue?

well no plasma out there is immune to burn in,yes symbols like big tv if it remains constant i.e if u dont change the channel and wathc for long hours can cause a burn in.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back