Panasonic VIERA TH-50PY850D ?

wildseid

Hi guys,

Ive narrowed down my search for a well priced 50" Full HD TV.. I can find only one model which fits the bill and that is the -

PANASONIC VIERA TH-50PY850D for 1.5lacs

Should I get it? Is it a good buy or save up and spend on a full HD LCD instead?

It will be mostly used for (in order of usage) -

Tata Sky Sports viewing
XBOX 360
DVDs

thank you!!

Hi guys,

Ive narrowed down my search for a well priced 50" Full HD TV.. I can find only one model which fits the bill and that is the -

PANASONIC VIERA TH-50PY850D for 1.5lacs

Should I get it? Is it a good buy or save up and spend on a full HD LCD instead?

It will be mostly used for (in order of usage) -

Tata Sky Sports viewing
XBOX 360
DVDs

thank you!!

though i am a complete pana fanboy I would suggest you have a look at the Sony 42 X series and the newly launched samsung LED TVs. Though you will get slightly less real estate wrt screen size the x series and the new LED tvs are hard to beat. And I am sure at your budget you can probably have something in these series.

But wrt your content usage a Pioneer Kuro would be a great buy too.

PS: BTW what about a panny pv8 for normal usage and a HD ready projector in that price lie optoma HD 65 + a 100 inch screen.

For DVDs, Tatasky and Xbox, HD ready is more than adequate for your use and for 1.4 lakhs you can get the pioneer kuro (but in 42) which kills any flat panel around. Please audition even if you dont buy it. You'll be totally blown away!!

thanks for the replies...

Well I cant go below 50" because my room is big and in fact I would want even more than 50" but it would be too expensive.

So question is is the Panasonic a good TV in 50" ? Or is it really worth spending the extra to buy an LCD 50". That would be 1lac more...

thanks!

The Panasonic Th-50PY850D is an excellent tv but the price at 1.5 lac is too high and its last years model. Samsung has launched a new range of full hd plasma's. The MRP of the 50 inch is Rs 1 lac were as the 63 inch is priced at 3.3 lac. Street prices should be 10 to 15 % lower.Check out the samsung india site for more details.

The Panasonic Th-50PY850D is an excellent tv but the price at 1.5 lac is too high and its last years model. Samsung has launched a new range of full hd plasma's. The MRP of the 50 inch is Rs 1 lac were as the 63 inch is priced at 3.3 lac. Street prices should be 10 to 15 % lower.Check out the samsung india site for more details.

The 1 lac samsung is not Full HD. The Full HD MRP is 1.40.

Is the samsung better than the panasonic?

thanks!

The Samsung Full HD 50" is about 1.25 lakhs on the market. Samsung makes excellent plasmas, and while I was picking between Samsung and Panasonic there was almost nothing to choose between the two. Do check it out yourself.

The 1 lac samsung is not Full HD. The Full HD MRP is 1.40.

Is the samsung better than the panasonic?

thanks!

The MRP of the new model ( PS50B550 ) is Rs 1 lac.Check out the samsung india site for more details.

Another big plus point going for the samsung is the power consumption. The 50PY850 consumes approx 550W per hour where as the samsung ps50B550 consumes 350W. In energy saving mode the power consumption is futher reduced to 250W. Big savings on electricity bills.

Well it is too early to comment , whether it is a good deal or not, as they are still using the same old panels with modified & improved circuitry.

The neo panel is only coming in the high end series.

Once both products are launched and easily available then a comparison can be done of the x10 / G10 vs the 4/5/6 series .

I do not see the 8 series launched yet, as that will be the premium range in plasmas

Well i find it hard to belive that samsung or lg products can be compared to any other premium products,

i feel samsung and lg are clones of the real things,and dont last at all,and detoriate fast..thats my old experience...

If things have changed ,,i want to know as they are far cheaper always.

Ac s,tvs,dvd players all went kaput very soon despite buying thier top models,only thing i m using and working great is a lg microwave.

As i baught sony ,now i ve to buy as new tech is here and crt seems too bulky,,,so looking around and panasonic looks nice..and sony scary as samsung making for them...

Am i just biased ,,,pl enlighten

Well i find it hard to belive that samsung or lg products can be compared to any other premium products,

i feel samsung and lg are clones of the real things,and dont last at all,and detoriate fast..thats my old experience...

Ac s,tvs,dvd players all went kaput very soon despite buying thier top models,only thing i m using and working great is a lg microwave.

As i baught sony ,now i ve to buy as new tech is here and crt seems too bulky,,,so looking around and panasonic looks nice..and sony scary as samsung making for them...

well do not under estimate any company,samsung currently has one of the best lcd ,if not the best like the new 8500 led lcd launched in the US.
even in plasmas they still are decent.
LG well they may not be the best ,but they do have some good lcds tvs for a price like the LH90.their prices are cheap,so u can't really complain.

Well i disagree on the same, personally i am using the Samsung Q9 plasma from over 2 years, and it still rocks and is an excellent tv. As far as cheap is concerned i don't think it was cheap as the MRP was of 1 lakh, after tough negotiation and bargaining i bought the same for 75k. But the advantage that time was that manufacturer were making few models of plasma which were the high end ones and there were not many choices.

Today the market dynamics have changed and u have 42" models pricing from 40 k to 90k as they have different panels, technology and features.

So now if i have to buy a new TV more options are out there so its a double edged sword, for some the decision making will be easier for some it will be difficult due to plenty of options out there.

But in the end consumer is King, as one can buy a 42" plasma in 38k odd, which used to be a distant dream 2 years back.

I haven't tried many Samsung products. I also do not know many inventions to their credit. But i do know when it comes to TVs they have churned out some really good stuff. They produced some fine LCD TVs this year. More so they have improved leaps and bounds their range of plasma TVs beating and in some cases equalling the best Pansonics in quite a few areas. The B860,B650,the B8500s,the A950s are all best,2nd best and 3rd best mostly in their respective categoies and times.

When it comes to pricing do you find them cheap? Their edge lit LEDs are still uber expensive compared to backlit LGs. Their backlits will cost a bomb when they hit India, nowhere in the league of the LH90 (or other possible truel fully backlit models that may be released by LG in the near future)
Personally my Samsung CRT lasted longer than the other two TVs in the house(the LG 1st issue reported-within 4 months and the philips which reported an issue within 4 years).
Yet having said all this there continues to be some quality issues at times for eg: wrt panels.
Like Dushie says at the end of the day we are all kings. We decide what we want. So if panels are an issue we better ensure that Samsung folks here in India too know about it and not from a minority! Surprise them by talking about CMO,AMVA and SPVA!!!Atleast in future they would take this into account and not consider Indians noobs with absolutely no awareness. Consumer awareness can sometime drive quality i guess

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back