Panasonic VT20 Owners Thread

I wanted to know whether 1080p is better than 1080i resolution OR is it the other way around, Experts your comments please..

Last edited:
1080p is better then 1080i in simple terms, The diff between 1080i and 1080p is in the way the signal is sent from a source component or displayed on an HDTV screen, In 1080i each frame of video is sent or displayed in alternative fields. The fields in 1080i are composed of 540 rows of pixels or lines of pixels running from the top to the bottom of the screen, with the odd fields displayed first and the even fields displayed second. Together, both fields create a full frame, made up of all 1,080 pixel rows or lines, every 30th of a second.In 1080p, each frame of video is sent or displayed progressively. This means that both the odd and even fields (all 1,080 pixel rows or pixel lines) that make up the full frame are displayed together. This results in a smoother looking image, with less motion artifacts and jagged edges.

I wanted to know whether 1080p is better than 1080i resolution OR is it the other way around, Experts your comments please..

This must be answered somewhere but unable to find so asking again
How do i use the ARC on the TV? Idea is to have content that plays on TV to have audio played on the HT speakers. I have denon 1912 and confused on how to do this
Can someone guide? Usually do not need but if want to play something on USB port and have audio play via speakers or if want to connect Set top box to TV and have audio through A/V?

This must be answered somewhere but unable to find so asking again
How do i use the ARC on the TV? Idea is to have content that plays on TV to have audio played on the HT speakers. I have denon 1912 and confused on how to do this
Can someone guide? Usually do not need but if want to play something on USB port and have audio play via speakers or if want to connect Set top box to TV and have audio through A/V?

Get a optical audio cable and connect the audio out of the TV to the receiver.
You can then select either stereo or dolby digital.

DIGITAL TOSLINK OPTICAL FIBRE CABLE 1.5M 1.5 METER | eBay

You can get any random cable as it is a digital transmission. There won't be any loss in data.

Get a optical audio cable and connect the audio out of the TV to the receiver.
You can then select either stereo or dolby digital.

DIGITAL TOSLINK OPTICAL FIBRE CABLE 1.5M 1.5 METER | eBay

You can get any random cable as it is a digital transmission. There won't be any loss in data.
Thanks but this is if i do not have ARC, which allows audio return from TV to AV.
Checked this but dunno how to do this on a VT20
https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answ...c-(audio-return-channel)-and-how-do-i-use-it?

Thanks but this is if i do not have ARC, which allows audio return from TV to AV.
Checked this but dunno how to do this on a VT20
https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answ...c-(audio-return-channel)-and-how-do-i-use-it?

Do you already have a HDMI 1.4 cable? If no, optical cable is better.
ARC works only with HDMI 1.4 apparently.. And HDMI-2 is the only port that supports ARC. So this need to be connect to AVR all the time. You should be using HDMI-1/3 for the STB DVDP etc..

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1640683

Last edited:
Will need to check with 1.4 cable, though the thread mentions that should work with 1.3 also. Denon 1912 allows ARC, so that's fine, lets hope that the cable change does the trick

Will need to check with 1.4 cable, though the thread mentions that should work with 1.3 also. Denon 1912 allows ARC, so that's fine, lets hope that the cable change does the trick

I dont understand why you are hard pressed on the HDMI. If you are buying a cable, you can as well buy an optical cable which for sure works rather than experimenting with the HDMI 1.4. What will you do if it does not work?

I connected I omega screen play media player to my TV through HDMI cable to my 50VT20, I could not get any image on the screen, after sometime picture appeared on the TV. Again when I tired second time I am not getting any picture through HDMI cable, unfortunately even with Laptop I am unable to get any picture through all the four HDMI connections. I do not know what went wrong if anybody faced such problem with media player, you may please suggest solution.

I dont understand why you are hard pressed on the HDMI. If you are buying a cable, you can as well buy an optical cable which for sure works rather than experimenting with the HDMI 1.4. What will you do if it does not work?
Actually its more about the thing working cause its offered and it saves me the trouble of running another cable from the back of the TV which is a little troublesome cause the way TV is aligned. I already have HDMI 1.4 ordered, did not do it for this reason. Anyways will rarely need this so maybe if does not work , will let it be- not that much of an issue. Thanks though for suggesting the alternate.

I connected i-Omega, screenply, director version medial player to my 50VT20, it is resetting the TV resolution, TV's resolution remains same. Suppose the player sets as 1080 i 50HZ, it is not getting reset and remains there even after switching off TV and resetting the TV to factory condition. when I connect my Laptop to TV no display is coming from TV. All this was done through HDMI. Still I am working how to resolve this issue. Please suggest if anyone had faced similar issues.

hello everyone! posting here after a long time.

i found an issue with my TV today about which i am going to write below, and i feel every owner of the VT20 should take a note of it.

today i observed something which seemed like the TV's brightness has dipped! i don't know what to say of this, whether its the 'rising blacks' issue. i view the TV only on THX mode. to confirm that am not hallucinating, i juggled between the different modes, & when i came to 'game' mode, in which i play games occasionally, i found that THX mode & 'game' mode looked quite similar, ie, 'game' mode looked dull and resembled THX mode. the darkness, or should i say the blacks, seemed to become more prominent, and that 'liveliness' that stood out in the PQ seems faded. also, though am not sure of it, but the upper section of the panel seems to be a bit darker. upon googling, i found the following page with discussion on what i thought resembles the closest to this issue, and hence sharing it with you all:

How Soon Before Pana VT20/V20 Blacks Rise?

it says that the 'rising blacks' occur if you view the TV normally in low brightness-contrast settings (considering this point assuming the issue i found is really 'rising blacks').

i request dear fellow owners to please suggest something on this. its really very sad to see something of this sort in such a loveable TV :(

Last edited:
hello everyone! posting here after a long time.

i found an issue with my TV today about which i am going to write below, and i feel every owner of the VT20 should take a note of it.

today i observed something which seemed like the TV's brightness has dipped! i don't know what to say of this, whether its the 'rising blacks' issue. i view the TV only on THX mode. to confirm that am not hallucinating, i juggled between the different modes, & when i came to 'game' mode, in which i play games occasionally, i found that THX mode & 'game' mode looked quite similar, ie, 'game' mode looked dull and resembled THX mode. the darkness, or should i say the blacks, seemed to become more prominent, and that 'liveliness' that stood out in the PQ seems faded. also, though am not sure of it, but the upper section of the panel seems to be a bit darker. upon googling, i found the following page with discussion on what i thought resembles the closest to this issue, and hence sharing it with you all:

How Soon Before Pana VT20/V20 Blacks Rise?

it says that the 'rising blacks' occur if you view the TV normally in low brightness-contrast settings (considering this point assuming the issue i found is really 'rising blacks').

i request dear fellow owners to please suggest something on this. its really very sad to see something of this sort in such a loveable TV :(

What you are seeing is exactly opposite to rising black issue. The TV becomes brighter (minimum brightness increases) in case of rising black.

It cannot be fixed because even if you reduce the brightness, the blacks remain gray and other parts become darker.

In your case, If your TV became darker, why not just increase the brightness? That should solve it for you?

What you are seeing is exactly opposite to rising black issue. The TV becomes brighter (minimum brightness increases) in case of rising black.

It cannot be fixed because even if you reduce the brightness, the blacks remain gray and other parts become darker.

In your case, If your TV became darker, why not just increase the brightness? That should solve it for you?

yes you could say increasing the brightness could help, but even the modes with higher brightness settings (except 'dynamic') seemed to lack the lustre seen earlier. do you have any idea why could it be so ('phosphor-fatigue'? i am just imagining :rolleyes:), or have heard of any such thing about this earlier? or may be am really hallucinating, esp. so since my mind is still under a minuscule effect of anesthaesia from a surgery i had 2 days back :p

anyway. i will observe again today, and post by night.

After the initial break in for about 100 hours, what are the recommended settings for the TV, do we default them to factory settings and keep all at normal levels or something else? This way we can avoid issues like these too( rising black)? Sorry if this mentioned somewhere, i could only locate the settings for break in, not after that.

yes you could say increasing the brightness could help, but even the modes with higher brightness settings (except 'dynamic') seemed to lack the lustre seen earlier. do you have any idea why could it be so ('phosphor-fatigue'? i am just imagining :rolleyes:), or have heard of any such thing about this earlier? or may be am really hallucinating, esp. so since my mind is still under a minuscule effect of anesthaesia from a surgery i had 2 days back :p

anyway. i will observe again today, and post by night.

sorry to have wasted your time members. the next day onwards i didn't come across that 'brightness' issue. but came to know what could've caused that. actually i have a chandelier with different modes of lighting. one of the mode is a very powerful yellow-red mix colour. it was after many, many days that i had switched ON that mode and was watching the TV in it. that light had produced the 'reduced brightness' effect on the TV. failing to note another such instance, this thing came to my mind suddenly, and i retried watching TV in the same light, and the result confirmed my assumption. rest relaxed all ye folks! :p

After the initial break in for about 100 hours, what are the recommended settings for the TV, do we default them to factory settings and keep all at normal levels or something else? This way we can avoid issues like these too( rising black)? Sorry if this mentioned somewhere, i could only locate the settings for break in, not after that.

you could watch the TV in either 'normal' mode or 'THX' mode, as you wish, from the 'picture' menu on the TV remote. just make sure, that for the next 100-150 hrs, use the 'zoom 1' mode feature to cut-out the black-bars, don't watch channels with 'solid' static logos for too long, and keep running the colour-slides for a few hrs in between sessions of watching TV, or at night.

Dear All:

Need a help... I had not used a pendrive on my VT20.. got one movie which i wanted to play. I connected the pendrive through one of the USB drive though the USB drive recognized nothing happened after that. Am I missing something here, please advise.

Thanks

Sharath

[/QUOTE]..... just make sure, that for the next 100-150 hrs, use the 'zoom 1' mode feature to cut-out the black-bars, don't watch channels with 'solid' static logos for too long, and keep running the colour-slides for a few hrs in between sessions of watching TV, or at night.[/QUOTE]

Did not get this part, please elaborate and help
"...just make sure, that for the next 100-150 hrs, use the 'zoom 1' mode feature to cut-out the black-bars"
AND
"....and keep running the colour-slides for a few hrs in between sessions of watching TV, or at night..."

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back