Panasonic VT20 Owners Thread

satan

With all the new VT20's around here, it's about time we got our own owners thread for it. Thanks to Kittu, I managed to get myself a spankin new 50VT20D. This thing delivers one hell of a picture and i've never seen blacks that are deeper than this. The one thing that strikes me the most about this TV is how amazing the picture looks at home. Showrooms don't do these TV's any justice.

Anyways, I'd like to refer you guys to a few guides to make the most out of your VT20.

Checking your TV Usage (No. of hours & No. of times the TV has been switched on)
1) Hold down V- on the TV and press "RECALL" button 3 times on the remote
2) Press 2 to get to SRV-TOOL
3) Press OK to Enter
4) Navigate to Bottom Right Hand Cell using the Directional Buttons on remote
5) Hold Down "Mute" for a few seconds and the used hours and number of times the panel has been switched ON will be displayed in the same row. The format of the diplayed time is Hours:Minutes
6) Press "EXIT" for few seconds to come out of this menu (The TV will reboot)

Breaking In your VT20 & Settings
D-Nice's Guide

For those of you that do no want to run Breaking In Slides

Under Picture Settings, look for a profile called PROFESSIONAL1 and make these changes. Please note that you need to enable Advance (isfccc) under Setup to gain access to all the otions mentioned below.

Profile: Professional1
Contrast 36
Brightness: 0
Colour: 30
Sharpness: 0
Vivid Color: Off
Eco mode: On/Off
Intelligent Frame Creation: Off
P-NR: Off

R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: +6
R-Cutoff: 0
G-Cutoff: 0
B-Cutoff: +1

Gamma 2.2

Latest Firmwware (Ver. 5.606 | Date: OCT 3, 2011)
Download Page

James Cameron's Preferred Settings Firmware
Download Page
Discussion

NOTE: James Cameron's FW seems to be available only for USA & Latin America and not for Asia / Europe.

Please be very careful while making any changes to your VT20, wether it is firmware related / settings related. Please ask as many questions as you need to if you are unsure about what you are doing.

Last edited:
Model: 50VT20D
Manufacturing Date: October 2010

Issues that I have faced so far

1) HDMI 1 & 4 would not display 1080i/p inputs. Using the same cable I was able to get 1080i+p output on HDMI 2 & 3. I then used a different cable for HDMI 1 & 4 and it worked! It doesn't make any sense to me.

2) For some reason, my unit does not recognise FAT32 formatted SD Cards (MicoSD with an SD Card Adapter) or FAT32 formatted USB Pendrives. I had to format it to FAT for it to see the content on my MicroSD card.

What have I done so far?

1) I used the settings listed under "For those of you that do no want to run Breaking In Slides" for the first 17 hours.
2) This period included intermittent usage of the GAME Profile while using my PS3.
3) So far, I have made sure to run only 16:9 content (No Black Bars on top).

This morning when I went really close to the TV (really, really close) I noticed some minor IR (Image Retention). This convinced me to go in for a full Breaking In Period of 100 - 200 hours using D-Nice's guide.

Last edited:
Some Pictures. Please pardon the quality as this is all from my phone. I will try and get some better pictures up here with my Camera if anyone wants them.

Just Arrived!!!
img20111003180127.jpg

This is what came with the TV (3D Glasses, Remote, Logitech Wireless Keyboard + The Wall Mount, Manual & Warranty Card (Not Pictured))
img20111003180617.jpg

VT20 in the Flesh
img20111003181045.jpg

Side Panel & Inputs
img20111003181136.jpg

Rear Inputs
img20111003181251.jpg

Breaking In the VT20
img20111003180938.jpg

Last edited:
Lol.. This thread has to be started after the YV goes out of market.. :D
Funny panasonic pricing stategies. ;)

Congratulations once again Satan. Just as I was in the process of reconciling myself to the fact that the opportunity to own a VT20 had passed me you have gone ahead and posted these snaps. You truly are the Satan :D

Congratulations once again Satan. Just as I was in the process of reconciling myself to the fact that the opportunity to own a VT20 had passed me you have gone ahead and posted these snaps. You truly are the Satan :D

LOL... Trust me, you'd feel worse if I put up even half decent pictures, let alone show it to you in the flesh. You really have to see it in a home environment to fully appreciate it. The picture is just fantastic. My dad, who is far from a videophile couldn't stop telling me about just how detailed the picture is.

You really should snag one while you can still get them. Panasonic has apparently started rationing these out to dealers and there seems to be a huge confusion on who should get how many.

You really should snag one while you can still get them.

Hey I just might do that. Spoke to Mr. Moorthy at GTC and while he has confirmed the pricing @75K, transport seems to be the only hitch. I will be talking to TNT tomorrow, spoke to Blue Dart and they refused saying they do not book electronic goods. In case TNT agrees or if I take up GTC's advise of 'transit by hand' [see http://www.hifivision.com/television/17578-panasonic-plasma-v20-series-group-buy-44.html#post292849 ] even then I would need someone to coordinate locally with GTC and that seems to be the roadblock at the moment.

Hey I just might do that. Spoke to Mr. Moorthy at GTC and while he has confirmed the pricing @75K, transport seems to be the only hitch. I will be talking to TNT tomorrow, spoke to Blue Dart and they refused saying they do not book electronic goods. In case TNT agrees or if I take up GTC's advise of 'transit by hand' [see http://www.hifivision.com/television/17578-panasonic-plasma-v20-series-group-buy-44.html#post292849 ] even then I would need someone to coordinate locally with GTC and that seems to be the roadblock at the moment.
TNT will certainly do..my dealer shipped me through TNT..

Updated firmware on my 50VT20D to 5.606 today. Viera Cast is now upgraded to Viera Connect.
Tried a few apps on Viera Connect today.

On the Youtube app, am able to search & choose videos, however the videos dont play! Please let me know if anyone is able to play any youtube videos? Thanks!

Updated firmware on my 50VT20D to 5.606 today. Viera Cast is now upgraded to Viera Connect.

On the Youtube app, am able to search & choose videos, however the videos dont play! Please let me know if anyone is able to play any youtube videos? Thanks!

Was youtube working before the fw upgrade??

Hi guys, finally got my vt20 delivered with 2 glass(one new), wireless keyboard,2 hdmi cable free,all this for 75k. got panny bd110 3d bluray, sun direct hd, onkyo 3400 htib. it ll take some time to set up though.
Thanks to everyone in this forum especially kittu(special thanks), blasto, allajunaki for good inputs otherwise would have ended up buying led tv(got good inputs regarding plasma adv and observed the same in showrooms) or the same tv for 95k. Now absolutely loving the smooth pictures on this beauty even on std def. Thanks guys once again.

You guys are lucky down in South, dealers in mumbai are not even interested in confirming the availability leave aside the pricing.

Anyone knows a dealer in Mumbai carrying stock or ready to arrange ....do pass on the lead to me...wouldnt want to miss the VT as such amazing price.

Is this possible?
can I do that in 50V20?

No problems here. Works fine with the update. Even the videos are playing flawlessly. Since you mentioned that you are able to search for videos, I don't imagine it would be a Network Configuration Issue.

Was youtube working before the fw upgrade??

Once your TV is hooked up to the internet, it won't even give you access to Viera Cast. Instead, you will get a prompt to update the system software, which in turn gives you Viera Connect.

Is this possible? can I do that in 50V20?
You need to check if the FW for V20 includes Viera Connect.

EDIT: It looks like the FW is the same for both the VT and the V, not to mention a whole bunch of other models including some LCDs. (Check here)

Last edited:
You guys are lucky down in South, dealers in mumbai are not even interested in confirming the availability leave aside the pricing.

Anyone knows a dealer in Mumbai carrying stock or ready to arrange ....do pass on the lead to me...wouldnt want to miss the VT as such amazing price.

Call it the " The Great Rajni" effect on the prices of vt20:eek:hyeah:

hi
i have 50vt20p i cant find configuration for this model and find and iphone tv remote app for this model
thanks
gamliel

hi
i have 50vt20p i cant find configuration for this model and find and iphone tv remote app for this model
thanks
gamliel

VIERA Remote App For Intuitive TV Operation | 2011 North America | VIERA | Plasma&LCD TV | Panasonic Global

Looks like this app doesn't support any of the 2010 models. BTW, for anyone that is interested, an Android version of the app has been released. You can find it in the Android Market.

Viera Remote App Compatibility List

There is a discussion about it here

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back