Pls Help..Home Theatre - 75K Budget

jacobinasu

Hi All,

I have not been able to make up my mind since my decision to pick up a good sounding unit, which i could use both for music as well as movies.

From this forum i have gained so much information on brands, what to look for, what i should watch out for. Would like to thank you guys for that. Now my problem.

I intend to use the home theatre (HT because important people in my life would want the extra 3 speakers ), in my living room, this is not closed completely as the dining room also is adjacent to it. The room size is about 11*19ft.

Below are a few combinations and prices which the concerned people have quoted, please let me know if i should be trying any other options. My total budget for the HT including the AVR and cabling (overheads) is about 85K, limited to 85K. I have put in every buck i can here.

Quote from Jamo:
1. S506 HCS 3 - 36900, Sherwood RD6513 - 18900, Sub 200 - 10,000, Cabling - 2000
2. S606 HCS 3 - 42800, Sherwood RD6513 - 18900, Sub 200 - 10,000, Cabling - 2000

Quote from ProFX:
1. ProFX Fusion 5 Series + AVR 1509 = 40000
2. AVR 1509, Tsi 300, Tsi 100, CS 10, PSW 110 = 67490
3. AVR 1909, Tsi 300, Tsi 100, CS 10, PSW 110 = 83000

Quote from MS: Mr. Palani was suggesting i go only for the front floor standers, as i mentioned earlier - important people feel we need the eatra speakers too. Which throws these babies out Anyway putting down their quote:
1. Avant 906i F/S - 29500 + CA 540 A (Stereo Amp) - 19500
2. Avant 906i F/S - 29500 + CA 640 A (Stereo Amp) - 24500
3. Avant 904i F/S - 18500
4. Avant 902i B/S - 12000
5. CA reciever - 34500
6. Sub 309i - 20000
Cabling extra

I really like the JAmo S506, but not so sure about the AVR. I have not listened to WHFD. If any of you feel that i could get speakers any better than the Jamo S506 and the AVR please let me know. Points to consider:
In the front require F/S, price (budget), cabling etc.

The above will be linked to my TV Panasonic PV8 (not yet bought, you could give your opinion on this too, have heard from the forum that this is the best option)

Require your help in setting up the perfect Home Theatre for the budget.

Thank you advance.

Jacob

Hi All,

I have not been able to make up my mind since my decision to pick up a good sounding unit, which i could use both for music as well as movies.

From this forum i have gained so much information on brands, what to look for, what i should watch out for. Would like to thank you guys for that. Now my problem.

I intend to use the home theatre (HT because important people in my life would want the extra 3 speakers ), in my living room, this is not closed completely as the dining room also is adjacent to it. The room size is about 11*19ft.

Below are a few combinations and prices which the concerned people have quoted, please let me know if i should be trying any other options. My total budget for the HT including the AVR and cabling (overheads) is about 85K, limited to 85K. I have put in every buck i can here.

Quote from Jamo:
1. S506 HCS 3 - 36900, Sherwood RD6513 - 18900, Sub 200 - 10,000, Cabling - 2000
2. S606 HCS 3 - 42800, Sherwood RD6513 - 18900, Sub 200 - 10,000, Cabling - 2000

Quote from ProFX:
1. ProFX Fusion 5 Series + AVR 1509 = 40000
2. AVR 1509, Tsi 300, Tsi 100, CS 10, PSW 110 = 67490
3. AVR 1909, Tsi 300, Tsi 100, CS 10, PSW 110 = 83000

Quote from MS: Mr. Palani was suggesting i go only for the front floor standers, as i mentioned earlier - important people feel we need the eatra speakers too. Which throws these babies out Anyway putting down their quote:
1. Avant 906i F/S - 29500 + CA 540 A (Stereo Amp) - 19500
2. Avant 906i F/S - 29500 + CA 640 A (Stereo Amp) - 24500
3. Avant 904i F/S - 18500
4. Avant 902i B/S - 12000
5. CA reciever - 34500
6. Sub 309i - 20000
Cabling extra

I really like the JAmo S506, but not so sure about the AVR. I have not listened to WHFD. If any of you feel that i could get speakers any better than the Jamo S506 and the AVR please let me know. Points to consider:
In the front require F/S, price (budget), cabling etc.

The above will be linked to my TV Panasonic PV8 (not yet bought, you could give your opinion on this too, have heard from the forum that this is the best option)

Require your help in setting up the perfect Home Theatre for the budget.

Thank you advance.

Jacob

Stay away from sherwood, entry level jamo, polk audio speakers (not all that bad, but you can do better in this budget), pro-fx (i believe these are just denon speakers, could be wrong, but they sound like shit).

CA, denon, marantz, yamaha are fine for AVRs. MS is ok for speakers, check out mezzo-2 for the fronts though, awesome for music. dont go for onkyo, not all that good for music.
check out tannoys and wharfdales also for speakers.

The Pro FX speakers are made by Pure Acoustics and they have bright sound thats probably difficult to tone down. It is a bargain deal for Rs. 40000 & it is next to impossible to build a 5.1 channel system with AV Receiver for this price considering there are floor standing speakers and Di Pole surrounds. Do not expect much from Rs. 40000 system. It is good for the price but you can do way better at your budget.

I do not have any experience with Sherwood but if they sound good to you then whats the problem.

Onkyo TX-SR606 is one cracker of a receiver. Suggesting so you could take a look at it. I have heard them with some Polks series of speakers and boy did it sound powerful.

Take a higher powered receiver. You are good with the Denons but make sure you listen to them with music (plain vanilla stereo) & movies before you take a call. To my knowledge CA does better with both movies & music but are low on power output.

I cannot comment on any of the combinations you have mentioned. As in what would sound best. Try and not buy anything thats over powering. It is best if you can get all this equipment for an audition at your place. Pro Fx won't be an issue but I do not know about the other dealer.

You are going to get very mixed opinions on this forum about various equipment as each person has individual taste & brand preferrence. Listen to all the equipment you have listed & maybe more that will be suggested here & then take a call after further discussions

I think you can do better than Jamo, ProFx and such.

The best would be to get a good AVR and go for a speaker package that can deliver good music and movie sound. The Q-Acoustics 1010i is a good choice for about 45K odd. As Moser has said, you can replace the front with their floor standing speakers or larger BS a little later on and either get a full 7.1 systems, or use the bookshelf in your bedroom or elsewhere as Zone B speakers.

The Denon 1909, Onkyo 606, Yamaha 663 are good choices for an AVR.

If you find the Q-Acoustics to be a bit expensive, you can look at Energy speaker set. Their Take 5 is excellent, and their Act 6 is being sold in India quite inexpensively. I think a full 5.1 is around 35K. But be aware that the Act 6 is a discontinued model.

Next step up the ladder would be to assemble a 5.1 using speakers from companies such as Wharfedale, Mission, AE, Canton etc. These would push you speaker prices itself to around 75 -80 K. So that is out of question.

Audition the Q-A and see if you like it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your responses.

Sorry i didnt mention this, i would like to go for floor standers in front for sure, cause i really dont intend to upgrade for about 6 to 7 years atleast.

Considering this, QA though seems to be the best option, and yes i have read a lot about these speakers on WhatHiFi, but dont fit the requirement of FS.

Really appreciate your help on this.

Next step what to do...

Regards,
Jacob Inasu

Well in Q-Acoustics the 1030i and 1050i are FS but don't really know how they sound or cost. You can check them out and go with a couple of them for FS/fronts and replacing the 1010i in the package if its possible and the dealer will be accommodating enough. Otherwise for FS Wharfedales are good and quite economical and good in terms of performance and VFM factor too. You can go with Wharfedales too for the 5.1 but the Wharfedale sub would add to the costs.

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your responses.

Sorry i didnt mention this, i would like to go for floor standers in front for sure, cause i really dont intend to upgrade for about 6 to 7 years atleast.

Considering this, QA though seems to be the best option, and yes i have read a lot about these speakers on WhatHiFi, but dont fit the requirement of FS.

Really appreciate your help on this.

Next step what to do...

Regards,
Jacob Inasu

Hi Moser,

I have not auditioned WFD, could you let me know where i could check them out in Bangalore. Also if you have any idea on the costs for these 5.1.

I understand from your post that the woofer could push the budget, would it be good, if i link it to a Polk Audio woofer.

Regards,
Jacob Inasu

VECTOR SYSTEMS PVT. LTD. (for Wharfedale, Vanguard, DAC)
# 97, Sai Brigades, Brigade Road,
(After St.Joseph College Of Commerce)
Next To Brigade Prince Bar, Bangalore - 25.
Tel: 25543287, 9341717966

TOTAL SOUND (for Wharfedale, Quad, DAC)
# 2, Lakshmi Towers, # 200, R.V. Road,
South End Circle, Bangalore - 4.
Tel: 9845522937

They are listed from the authorized dealers for Wharfedale website at Designer Audio - Dealers.

Give them a call and drop in. Check out the Diamond series, not sure if 10 is out/available though, but 9 is good.

Coming to a 5.1 package the Q-Acoustics is one of the best right now in terms of performance, VFM, etc. Others will end up costing a lot more.

Mix-n-match is not a really good idea in building/assembling a HT package especially from different companies. Would need to really listen and check the specs if the Polk sub would fit in.

Jacob, as has been mentioned many times in the forum, the choice of speakers is very personal. You must go out and audition a few brands. Once you do that and short-list what you like for the front speakers, we can then recommend the configuration for you.

With speakers the choices are endless and you can increase by mixing and matching. For example, a person I know has two Dynaudio FS for fronts, a Dynaudio Centre, two Q-A 1010i BS as surround, and a Velodyne as sub. This is not something I would do, but he is very happy with it.

At your budget you can use a pair of Wharfedale 9.6 as fronts and use bookshelf speakers for surround. Or you can use FS speakers from MS Avant series. As I said the list is endless.

Look for a couple of floor standing speakers that cost 25 to 30 K for your front. Once you like and decide on the speakers, we can configure the rest of the set. Popular brands are Wharfedale, MS, AE, EPOS, Canton, Dalis, PSB, etc.

Visit a couple of showrooms in your city listen to some speakers and give us your feed back. We can then tell you what is good and what is bad.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello,
Get a latest edition of AVMAX. It talks about lot of bookshelf speakers of different price renge. It also has nice pictures and reviews of each one of them. Might help uou.
thanks,
Mahiruha.

VECTOR SYSTEMS PVT. LTD. (for Wharfedale, Vanguard, DAC)
# 97, Sai Brigades, Brigade Road,
(After St.Joseph College Of Commerce)
Next To Brigade Prince Bar, Bangalore - 25.
Tel: 25543287, 9341717966

Hi Moser,

I got the MRPs of different models from Designer Audio, i understand that the Diamond 9 series are really good.

Considering Towers + 3 and Sub SW 10" the cost works out pretty high.

Now that i have the rates i was checking out their Vardus Series which would fall within my budget, including SUB and the top of line towers from this series.

What would your take on this series be. I know i will not get the same effect as Diamond 9 considering the lower price range, but would this better than the Polk Audio package mentioned in my first post, the one costing 83K (incl AVR)

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Jacob Inasu

I cannot say because I've not heard the Vardus series for myself. If the cost is going over budget you can go with two FS for now and add other speakers and sub later on. That's an option to consider. Otherwise to fit into the budget you can consider BS/satellites for the 5.1 package in which as stated I would rate Q-Acoustics 1010i package as great in terms of VFM. Polk Audio is ok, but not too good, not at least the TSi300 you've been given in your package deal. The TSi500 I've heard is good, but all the speakers you've been offered in the package deal are the entry level ones and for this kind of money you can certainly do much better.

If you can take some time to build the HT unit then go with just 2 FS for now and add more speakers and sub later on. Otherwise I will once again recommend Q-Acoustic 1010i even though its with no FS the BS are really good and it delivers quite a punch in fact. You can later on add 2 FS to this package too.

Hi Moser,

I got the MRPs of different models from Designer Audio, i understand that the Diamond 9 series are really good.

Considering Towers + 3 and Sub SW 10" the cost works out pretty high.

Now that i have the rates i was checking out their Vardus Series which would fall within my budget, including SUB and the top of line towers from this series.

What would your take on this series be. I know i will not get the same effect as Diamond 9 considering the lower price range, but would this better than the Polk Audio package mentioned in my first post, the one costing 83K (incl AVR)

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Jacob Inasu

If you can take some time to build the HT unit then go with just 2 FS for now and add more speakers and sub later on. Otherwise I will once again recommend Q-Acoustic 1010i even though its with no FS the BS are really good and it delivers quite a punch in fact. You can later on add 2 FS to this package too.

I can comepetely understand the suggestion, but i am not an audiophile and i could not even make out the difference when in the Jamo showroom they switched between the S506 and S606:sad: hopefully listening to better speakers in my range would probably build on the sensitivity:)

Thanks for your suggestion Moser, but if you were me, I have to decided 2 FS + 3 + 1 and AVR within the budget considering this is a one time investment, will not touch this for about 5 years(i still have my Sony music system which i bought in the year 2000, works perfectly fine even now, i have linked this to my TV, and according to me this is pretty good too):lol: So now you know what i am talking about not being an audiophile.

Are you in Bangalore? If yes, and if you're free during a saturday, it would be great if i can meet you and speak to you.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jacob Inasu

Jacob,

I'm from Hyderabad. One thing I will say is we only make recommendations/suggestions but still suggest that above all else you audition and listen for yourself. Most of us are not sellers or dealers and music/movies are a hobby and even more of a passion and that's what we share here. More than any of us you have to live and listen/watch the stuff being bought. Your satisfaction is the most important here. If you like something and are convinced about it then go with it.

I can comepetely understand the suggestion, but i am not an audiophile and i could not even make out the difference when in the Jamo showroom they switched between the S506 and S606:sad: hopefully listening to better speakers in my range would probably build on the sensitivity:)

Thanks for your suggestion Moser, but if you were me, I have to decided 2 FS + 3 + 1 and AVR within the budget considering this is a one time investment, will not touch this for about 5 years(i still have my Sony music system which i bought in the year 2000, works perfectly fine even now, i have linked this to my TV, and according to me this is pretty good too):lol: So now you know what i am talking about not being an audiophile.

Are you in Bangalore? If yes, and if you're free during a saturday, it would be great if i can meet you and speak to you.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jacob Inasu

did u Audition the warfedale 9.5 or 9.6, how much does it cost?

i would reccomend you to go for a AVR seperately and speakers seperately, good AVR's are the Yam 663 and Onkyo SR606.

Pair these boys with the warfedale or other good speakers.

good luck hunting !!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back