Project vs Denon

smedhavi

Hi,

It is time for me to replace my turntable. I am looking at the following models:
  • Project Genie(RPM1) + NAD PP2
  • Project Debut 3 (Phono SB)
  • Denon DP-300F

The Project turntables have got great reviews (the Genie looks cool!). The Denon has a lot more features, such as, auto start/stop etc.

Any thoughts on which one would be better?
I would be connecting the turntable to NAD C372 amp and Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. My LP collection mostly consists of Ghazals, old hindi films and some Jazz.

Does anyone sell Rega in Bangalore?

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi Sharad,
This Rajesh nair from starcaudio,I would prefer the project to the Denon,because of better build quality,the denon has auto on/off etc,but i wouldnt care much for it.What you should look for is sturdy platform,arm and platter,the project is way ahead.

Have used the Debut 3 for a year, it's wonderful for the price. Pro-ject tend to put money where it matters, i.e. quality of transport and cartridge, rather than on bells and whistles.

You could perhaps consider going for a separate phono stage (rather than the integrated as the Phono SB would offer) because of greater flexibility.

PS: Couldn't help noticing, I have a substantially similar rig to yours, only a NAD pre/power combo instead of the integrated. And I collect Ghazal LPs too!! :)

Persiflage

Persiflage,

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am planning to buy a Project turntable and a Cambridge Audio 640P phone stage. I hope it works well with the remaining components.

Nice to know that we have similar tastes and finally bought similar equipment. I did checkout a lot of options, but the the texture in Mehdi Hasan's voice was reproduced best through the MA/NAD combination.

regards,
Sharad

BTW, I finally bought Project Debut 3 and a NAD PP2.
Sounds good to me. It is smooth, warm and detailed. I would not want it to be any brighter, so I guess NAD was a good choice.

Thanks,
Sharad

How's the Clearaudio Emotion compared to the mid priced Pro-jects? I might be getting a turntable sometime as well.

Clearaudio Emotion should be better, but unfortunately I never got a change to hear that in Bangalore :(

Thanks,
Sharad

Sharad,
Could you please tell me how much Project Debut 3 costs? and did you purchased it from ARN?

Cheers

Yes I bought it from ARN.
I don't think they would appreciate my publishing the price on an open forum.
We have two people related to ARN on this forum, they could answer your question.

maybe you can give the ballpark figure - or the price quoted to you before you started negotiating :)
Yes I bought it from ARN.
I don't think they would appreciate my publishing the price on an open forum.
We have two people related to ARN on this forum, they could answer your question.

I finally paid 19.5K for the Pro-Ject Debut III (without the phono preamp, speedbox and USB) at Bangalore in Sep, 2008. I also paid about 5+K for the NAD PP2 phono pre-amp.

I am sure the prices would have changed since then.

Thanks,
Sharad

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back