Ps4 or Xbox one

Friend returning from US in a week. Almost tempted to ask him to pick up an Xbone for me. Must resist! Want it mostly for kinect and there aren't really any games for it yet. Must resist atleast for a year :eek:

hey guys, please do check the "steam box" its announced to be released on January 2014.
Steam Machine Prototype Design & Price Revealed

the console looks promising

There's already a Steam Machine model for this from ibuypower.

For $500, you will get a console sized machine with Radeon R9 270 graphics. Should be good to play most games at full HD 1080p, will come with SteamOS preinstalled and will boot to Steam Big Picture mode, and will come with a Steam controller. And you still retain full independance to upgrade the hardware, swap parts, swap the OS, install other software etc.

I believe that the XBox plays games at 720p and the PS4 at 900p and then they both upscale it to 1080p.

sorry to offend but you comment is totally misleading. I hope you have already compared hardware related to "gaming" in both the devices.
#1. you are really Child centric:- nothing can be better then Nintendo, Wii U to be specific. the ultimate fun for kids. ( you certainly wont play a game which says mother-****er thrice every minute)

Totally disagree. A Wii U won't even come close to the top of my list in gaming devices for kids. Here's what I'd personally recommend...

1- An ipad. Or heck, even an android tablet as long as it's decently specced (like the nexus ones) would be the top choice for kids gaming. Games are aplenty and really cheap to boot. Just the sheer variety and quantity of content makes it a better solution than anything else. Then the ease of use with touch screen compared to buttons, d-pads and joysticks. Anyone from 2 year old to 80+ year old can find something to like here.

2- 360 with kinect. Nothing else comes close. Only loses out to iPads coz of limited number of kinect games and higher cost per game. Though you'd save on controller costs and its a blast when you have a few kids over. Even a 3 year old can enjoy it. Along with a 12 yr old. Any older and it loses its appeal. Though you'll always have the option to bring out the controller and play games (quite) a bit more mature.

3- 3ds (or even a 2ds). I don't have personal experience with either one yet but where Nintendo fails in console gaming, it more than makes up in handheld systems. The games just look (content-wise) awesome. Much better than your average iOS/android games. The reason I've put it lower than iPads is that it seems the games are a bit more complicated making them more suited for 8+ year olds instead. Also, cost per game is pretty high and there's just not as much variety as your tablets. My son is currently playing a game called Dragon City. I don't even know how he found out about it. Its a freemium piece of crap game which I personally will never waste my time on but who am I to tell my son its a bad game (ie as long as he doesn't ask me to pay for the IAPs). Anyways, I intend to get a 3ds soon. Asked my friend to pick one up from US. Hopefully it should be here by the end of the year.

4- Wii (the original, not he wii u). The one who started motion gaming trend. Even though it got crazy popular, the games didn't really do well on the system with everyone forgetting about it after the first month of ownership. Still it has a pretty decent library of good games available for cheap and not to mention, the older classics available on Nintendo eshop.

5- PS vita. One of the last options I'd consider for a kid. Its good value for the hardware but games just don't compare to 3ds offerings. Still, its a handheld with a decent library of games which will keep your kid busy.

5- Wii U - it lost out to wii coz its costlier with has barely a bit more to offer than wii. Sure it has much better graphics and a controller with a touchscreen. But no one cares about the graphics when they're playing kids centric games. And the touchscreen has all but proven a failed experiment thanks to ever diminishing support from third party devs and simply the fact that it's not really what one would call a great experience (low res, tacky resistive input, laggy).

5- PS3 with move. It ties for fifth position with wii U. Both are a failure IMO (talking about move specifically and not ps3) and will provide you the worst experience compared to other options.

#2. if you are serious gamer:- go PS4
While there's nothing wrong in having an opinion, please don't post baseless opinions as facts. I've owned both ps3 and 360 and both preformed pretty well for regular gaming (ie, excluding motion gaming). So far I don't see any real reason to pick a ps4 or Xbone over the other just for gaming other than the $100 extra you'll need to pay for Xbox. The difference in graphics, even if its as bad as the specs would indicate, will be barely noticeable in real world. And both systems will have optimized games where some will perform better on one system compared to other for both consoles.

#3. you have lots of money, or want to pretend that you are super rich, you don't have a smart TV, you are unaware of little sub-30$ stufs which will turn you dumb tv into smart by adding voice & gesture command, no one listen to you command in this world so you will atlest feel good by giving command to a non-living thing "Xbox what is the time?, Xbox Play TV, " And mostly you are dreaming that something radical will happen, Comcast or Time Warner will magically provide you their CableTV subscription. then go for Xbone.

A, I'd like to know about the "sub-30$ stufs" which will turn my dumb tv into smart one with voice and gesture command. Thanks in advance!

B, you do realize that having an option to do something extra is exactly that, don't you? ie, an option! Use it if you find it worth it, or don't use it if its not. How the hell does having an optional extra lowers the value of something? Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you use the system like you use the other one.

( apology in advance to all Xbone fan-boys, but its anything except a next-gen gaming console. )
How about not being a blind fanboy in the first place instead of (fake) apologising for posting baseless lies as facts?

No one is stopping you from having an opinion. Just be smart enough to realize that your opinion is just that. An opinion. Others may disagree. And if they do, it doesn't make them wrong. Consider the possibility of being wrong yourself or atleast, accept the possibility of both opinions being correct in their own manners. JFYI, calling people with opinions differing from yours as lifeless dumb idiots won't make your opinion a fact. All it does is diminishes your credibility.

Last edited:
I would suggest to wait one year before deciding on any one of these. I remember buying the Fat PS3 (with so many flaws) for nearly 40K. After I guess 2 yrs prices dropped 50%

I totally agree with ps sonic. Better to wait for Sony to iron out all the bugs and price to fall. PS3 60gb was around 40k when it first came out...i bought the 80gb version for 20k around a year and a half later(totally bug free, has been going strong for around 4 years now)

PS4 Release Date Arrives: Glitches And Errors Discovered, What Buyers Need To Know

Also the PS4 USB cannot access external media...so cannot be used to play movies/music which is a deal breaker for me since I have been using my PS3 as a media center. Whether this changes in the future remains to be seen.

In my opinion, there is not much difference between the two. It all comes down to what your preference is. I personally wanted more out of my console than just gaming so went for Xbox One. I get browsing, YouTube , Skype, Netflix, Hulu, Blue Ray Player, a dozen other apps and of course gaming. Nothing groundbreaking but just makes things simpler for me.

In my opinion, there is not much difference between the two. It all comes down to what your preference is. I personally wanted more out of my console than just gaming so went for Xbox One. I get browsing, YouTube , Skype, Netflix, Hulu, Blue Ray Player, a dozen other apps and of course gaming. Nothing groundbreaking but just makes things simpler for me.

zzz All these things you have mentioned here(other than skype) I have been able do on my PS3 too so I am guessing the PS4 would do it even better. In my opinion the console you buy should be decided by the games you want to play. Most of the games are common between PS4 & XBOX One but its the exclusives that set the consoles apart. I for one prefer the Playstation exclusives to the Xbox exclusives. And I cant wait for Uncharted 4 and Last of us 2 to release. So my vote would go to the PS4 rather than the XBOX one

I recently bought a PS4 and I am truly enjoying the gaming experience on this latest generation console. From merely a gaming perspective I doubt there's a better option in the market. However, there are a few shortcomings that anyone looking to graduate from a PS3 must take into account. For starters, there's limited usb or external drive support. Unlike PS3 where you could play music, video and gaming content from your USB Drive here the options are not available. You can only play music and that too in mp3 format only made possible by a very recent upgrade from Sony. Moving on, PS4 gaming titles are few at the moment and ofcourse are much more expensive than PS3 making one choose and pick games with caution. So, both the price of games and the number is a bit of a letdown. Finally, for those looking to use their console as a Media player for playing DVDs and BluRays please do remember that while PS4 plays both formats, it has a Region code for Blu Rays and thus cannot play other region BRs. As for DVDs it is region free. Also, PS4 is not backwardly integrated or in other words it will not play PS3 Games or older generation titles. While that option maybe available in future, it is not going to be a straightforward insert and play option.

So, this is my take on PS4. A fantastic gaming machine but unlike the PS3 not a comprehensive entertainment unit. If you are buying this soleley for the gaming experience go ahead otherwise it'll be better to wait for more upgrades and maybe a price fall.

Do you guys still think a PS4 is the better option?

I saw the last review said that it was region-locked for playing DVDs and BRs. Is that still so?

Do you guys still think a PS4 is the better option?

I saw the last review said that it was region-locked for playing DVDs and BRs. Is that still so?

Yes, PS4 is region locked.
Moreover, it can't play videos from USB due to the tie ups with various streaming services, it doesn't play CDs/SACDs, has limited support for media servers (I think it only supports Plex which is again a paid thing to use).

So basically it is good only as a gaming device (multiplayer is paid though, unlike PS3).

Worldwide, PS4 is winning the market hands down. This is including US where PS3 was lagging behind Xbox360 during previous generation.

I believe consumers see the benefit here over XBONE as:

A. Better hardware and graphics capabilities (not applicable for TVs below 40inch size)

B. More focused design on Gaming (XBone focussed on Cable TV initially which didnt work out)

C. Better first party games e.g. Infamous, Bloodbourne, Uncharted 4 etc.(against Forza, Titanfall)

D. So far better third party exclusive content (Destiny, Watchdogs, Assassins Creed) compared to Xbox (CoD, probably Battlefield but not sure)

For 2016, it also has VR (Project Morpheus)..I mean VRRRRRRRRRR!! Microsoft also doing something called Hololense but in my personal opinion its no contest against full virtual reality headset.

XBone although has reduced its price to compete with Sony, so its the cheaper console right now to buy.

Rest everyone can have their own choice.

Worldwide, PS4 is winning the market hands down. This is including US where PS3 was lagging behind Xbox360 during previous generation.

I believe consumers see the benefit here over XBONE as:

A. Better hardware and graphics capabilities (not applicable for TVs below 40inch size)

Rest everyone can have their own choice.

Can you please elaborate the above point ? Why cant TVs below 40" utilize the PS4's better hardware and Graphics capabilities ? What difference will it make to the PS4 console if its connected to a 32" FULL HD TV or 50" FULL HD TV? I do not understand this point.

Can you please elaborate the above point ? Why cant TVs below 40" utilize the PS4's better hardware and Graphics capabilities ? What difference will it make to the PS4 console if its connected to a 32" FULL HD TV or 50" FULL HD TV? I do not understand this point.

Basically PS4's Graphical advantages over Xbox One is small. Most games on Xbox run at 900 resolution against 1080 for PS4.

However, if someone has 32 inch TV set, this difference may not even be noticeable. The resolution differences become really apparent in Big TVs (40inch and above).

This is not just applicable for consoles but for all video sources. For instance, normal cable channels(non HD channels) look fine on a 32 inch TV but the same on a 55inch TV looks pixelated and washed out.

Hope this helps :)

Hello All,

Opening this discussion again, i opened the thread but really didn't purchased either of xbox or ps but now as my daughter and nephew are bit disciplined ;-) so finally decided to purchase now in festive season.

My reason for any of one console is purely entertainment-GAMING, my daughter is 3 and my nephew is 10 so need to ensure both enjoys their own genre, thats where i think xbox will win.

I do play myself but my likes are of NFS or COD which i can get on both platforms,

now another point is i own panny 65" plasma so is there any thing which will make me dislike xbox and prefer ps4 ? in new posts i do see about resolutions thing.

I am not going to browse youtube / bluray movies etc through this consoles unless my other stuff (BD player / mediaplayer) are down which i dont think will be possible but after all electronics.

Looking forward for response, i guess anyone with both xbox 360 and PS4 will be able to help me in better way.

Cheers...

I have an xbox 360+ kinect bundle and my kids are enjoying it to the core, especially the motion games. I have some favorites like oblivion, GTA, assassins creed etc, which are xbox specific I guess. Altogether I am happy with my purchase, especially since my kids are enjoying it very much.

Ghostrider,

Yes, on a 65" screen you will definitely notice differences between a 900 and 1080 resolution. You can check latest game reviews to see that most Xbox One games are 900p nowadays while PS4 is 1080(i/p).

On the games itself, it really boils down to individual choices. Few things to consider:

A. Which exclusive games you prefer
- Bloodborne, Infamous, Uncharted 4 (upcoming), God of War (upcoming) on PS4

- Halo 5, Forza, Gears of War (upcoming) on Xbox One

B. Both have games which kids can enjoy
- Little Big planet 3, Resogun, Knack on PS4
- Minecraft and others (cant remember names but there are many) on Xbox one
- plenty of multiplatform titles on both

C. Which future functionality you would like to have

- Virtual reality (Playstation VR) launching next year
- Augmented Reality from Xbox is expected to launch soon

D. Last but not the least, there is exclusive content tie-ups where a good amount of a multi-platform game content is only available through one platform

- Destiny, Call of Duty, Assassins creed exclusive content on PS4

- Fallout, Fifa etc on Xbox One

You can consider the above points according to your needs before purchase. Enjoy!

What about online options is the playstation plus membership useful or a deterrent? Are there equivalent options in xbox?

D. Last but not the least, there is exclusive content tie-ups where a good amount of a multi-platform game content is only available through one platform

- Destiny, Call of Duty, Assassins creed exclusive content on PS4

- Fallout, Fifa etc on Xbox One

I only own 360 (infact two 360s) , but I play Assassins creed in xbox 360. Not yet upgraded to xbox one, but have they moved AC to PS4 exclusive now?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back