Returning to India, from USA, what to buy for a Home Theatre

Hopefully you bought the BBC edition with Richard Attenborough's commentary and not Sigourney Weaver's rendition!!

This was going for half the price around xmas on many channels incl. Amzn. Fantastic set even on standard DVDs. It gets atleast once a month viewing at our home.

Fortunately or unfortunately mars I got the Sigourney Weaver version, but stunning visuals nevertheless...

I got the BBC edition(1080p,blu ray,4 disc) with Richard Attenborough's commentary.

Marsillians, are You sure, they were selling this 4 disc set at 32$? I dont think so.

Last edited:
After reading very good about turn tables, I would like to get that one also from US.

Which one is best.

Technics SL1200 Mk2 from Amazon?(around $450)

Any other Technics model?( For me weight is a concern, its around 10kg)

What about Denon 500 model, though its very costly.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated

I got the BBC edition(1080p,blu ray,4 disc) with Richard Attenborough's commentary.

Marsillians, are You sure, they were selling this 4 disc set at 32$? I dont think so.

Absolutely sure. At this time, the price of BR was the same as SD disks. Also I think the discovery store was selling the same for something like 39 or so for the BR set.

After reading very good about turn tables, I would like to get that one also from US.

Which one is best.

Technics SL1200 Mk2 from Amazon?(around $450)

Any other Technics model?( For me weight is a concern, its around 10kg)

What about Denon 500 model, though its very costly.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated

There are too many choices. What is your budget?Also you may pick up a bunch of vinyls in the US.

My budget is below $500. Since I have Denon 2309, i can use that phono input to connect.

Could you give some collection of vinyls.

Hmm, 500 does not do justice for turntables unless you are buying them for kicks. This is because they require higher cost of labour. Anyway, here goes some options:

Gemini XL 500
Rega P2
Technics SL-1210-MK-5G
Denon DP 300F
Pro-Ject Debut III

for starters.

Re: Vinyl. What music genres you listen to?

Thanks Mars

Technics SL-1210-MK-5G, seems nice choice!

I generally listen to classical, jazz and light music, little bit rock and heavy.

Pls tell me some vinyls, which we can get ONLY in US, so I can get them. Remaining i can get from India.

So which TT is the ideal one? Like in AV receiver, Denon 2309, Yamaha 663, Onkyo 876 etc..

Thanks Mars

I generally listen to classical, jazz and light music, little bit rock and heavy.

Pls tell me some vinyls, which we can get ONLY in US, so I can get them. Remaining i can get from India.

So which TT is the ideal one? Like in AV receiver, Denon 2309, Yamaha 663, Onkyo 876 etc..

Hey Sam, one other option when it comes to turntable is project RM5 or one of the music halls for a little over what you would spend on the technics. Also, are you planning to get speakers from there as well? If so, AV123.com has their Rockets on sale and they are extremely well regarded and very good VFM. They have an entire 5.1 config of their best rocket system for $1699, which is the usual MRP of just a pair of floorstanders that come in the package.

Hey Sam, one other option when it comes to turntable is project RM5 or one of the music halls for a little over what you would spend on the technics. Also, are you planning to get speakers from there as well? If so, AV123.com has their Rockets on sale and they are extremely well regarded and very good VFM. They have an entire 5.1 config of their best rocket system for $1699, which is the usual MRP of just a pair of floorstanders that come in the package.

Thanks grubyhalo. I donot know how to get speakers to India. They are heavy. Unless I transport via ship!!! I dont know anybody done that and the procedures!!

I can carry stuffs in two suitcases worth 140 pounds(approx 70 kgs). If I bring third suitcase also, customs will suspect and might grill down.

Any other way to transport?

Thanks grubyhalo. I donot know how to get speakers to India. They are heavy. Unless I transport via ship!!! I dont know anybody done that and the procedures!!

I can carry stuffs in two suitcases worth 140 pounds(approx 70 kgs). If I bring third suitcase also, customs will suspect and might grill down.

Any other way to transport?

Oops! I was under the impression that you might probably shipping more than a few suitcases worth stuff! :eek: If you are planning to move a bunch of your stuff, then you could look at getting a shipping pallet sea-freighted and get the speakers down as well. Ofcourse, it should look like you are shipping all your household goods that are pre-owned...

Some things to consider....the cartridge you use in a TT has a great effect on the signature. So, even if you mod or change a bit on this, one TT could sound considerably different even with itself or others. Reason I am saying is that typically after about 1000 - 1500 hrs (could be off by a couple hunderd hours) or so, you will be looking to changing this on any TT due to normal wear.

Also, it should be inspected every 500 hours or less, depending on use, for damage or unusual wear. You will need a small magnifier to inspect the tip. Same with cantilever arm. Don't try to fix these, just replace a defective one with a new one.

having said this, at your price point, its a toss between the Rega, Pro-ject and Technics. Mind you, Technics is relative new comer at this price point than the Rega but it stands its ground. You will not go wrong with either one of these.

re: vinyls, the only reason I mentioned to pick some up in the US was so you had a better option to visiting music dealers and getting what you want. The pickings in India are slim and the maintenance is shoddy at best in some of the sales I have been to. There are times when you will find true gems, but they are far apart unfortunately.

Thanks Mars

if youre moving back permanently and bringing other stuff as well you could come on transfer of residence (tr) assuming that you've been away for x (i think its two) number of years. then you can bring in one of each of whatever with no duty at all

I moved back from the US in 2007 (April) and as part of my household articles shipped a 6.1 channel HT system (Denon 2807 receiver, Definitive Technologies speakers with built-in powered subwoofer, panasonic 5 DVD changer, Monster power, cables, etc.). These are all 110v, 60 Hz. I had a local electronics engineer (these guys are distributors of APC, but they make electrical/electronic equipment on the side) make a 2.5KVA step down transformer for me with protection. The resulting frequency is still 50Hz. So, I have all the equipment (remember my speakers also have upto 300W Class D amplifiers to power the subwoofers in them) I brought from the US running on 110V, 50 Hz and I have been using them since August 2007. So far, so good. There isn't any discernable sound quality difference (as far as I can remember).

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks,
-mb.

Last edited:
(Denon 2807 receiver, Definitive Technologies speakers with built-in powered subwoofer, panasonic 5 DVD changer, Monster power, cables, etc.). These are all 110v, 60 Hz. ::D

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks,
-mb.

HI Mambo,

Definitive technologies, what model? Promonitor 800?

Why you went with definitive technologies? are they Audio phile speakers of high quality. Some one recommended Rocket speakers.

Which speakers are best in US?

Now I am thinking of shipping in the container over the ship.

Thanks

I bought their BP 7002 for the fronts, C/L/R 2300 for the center, BP 7006 for the rears and C/L/R 2002 for the rear center. I bought them after auditioning these in the showroom (Magnolia and Ultimate Electronics) and at a friends place (where his room setup was similar to mine then). I liked the sound and the extra bass from having 5 sub-woofers (front, rear and center). Personally, I feel the system is impressive. With the high sensitivity any decent amp can drive it well. I use a Denon 2807 receiver which works well, and at some point in the future, I will upgrade to separates. I can't really explain what and why I like these speakers in technical terms; just that I enjoy watching movies on this setup. My suggestion is not to find the "best" speakers, since that's going to be a moving target and what is best for one is not necessarily best for another. So, go listen to as many speakers as you can that fall within your budget and decide based on that. If you are still in the US, do try Axiom and Aperion whose products you can try at home.

Grubyhalo,

I am planning to get the rocket system, in a shared container, via ship.

Is it worth costwise, compared to India.

deal price $1699 +
Their subwoofer $499 +
surround speaker(emotiva) $249
shipping to US address $251

Total: $2,698

sea fright shipping $100 (just for these items)
customs if 15%= $404 or 35%worst case $944

So a total of $3198 or $3698 for this package worth?

What typically a good speaker system in India costs for a 7.1 channel, best speakers compared to the above deal?

And also, what is a comparable speaker system, which we get in India and their prices. I should take the pain to get the above deal, only if it is WORTH.

Thank you..

Last edited:
Grubyhalo,

deal price $1699 +
Their subwoofer $499 +

What typically a good speaker system in India costs for a 7.1 channel, best speakers compared to the above deal?

And also, what is a comparable speaker system, which we get in India and their prices. I should take the pain to get the above deal, only if it is WORTH.

Thank you..

If you ask me, the deal is more than worth. Rockts has one of the best VFM ni the business and they are rated better than most of the name brand companies by users as well as reviewers. Go through the reviews for the Rockets listed on their website to get a fair idea of the kind of speaker brands that they are usually compared to.

Thanks Grubyhalo

Yes i really like this series, based on the reviews and recommendations.

How much it will cost in India, similar type of quality for a 7.1 system.

Any idea?

One advantage with HT shopping in the US is not only cheaper costs but also the range. Rockets are one of the best VFM. For surrounds, you may want to look at QS8 from Axiom Audio in Canada. 'Free Shipping' and 30 days no questions asked return policy.

For subs, look at SVS, HSU or eD. All excellent quality ones. This is not one of AV123's strengths.

If you want to save some more money look at B-stock. They are fully warrantied and it is almost impossible to discern defects.

Grubyhalo,

deal price $1699 +
Their subwoofer $499 +

Thank you..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back