Returning to India, from USA, what to buy for a Home Theatre

For subs, look at SVS, HSU or eD. All excellent quality ones. This is not one of AV123's strengths.

Not quite. The MFW15 has been rated as better than a lot of other subs including ones from SVS, HSU and eD by users who've heard them. Here's one such review. Besides, there's no way the others can match the finish of the MFW's. Also, if you're going for the Rockets for the mains, you should consider going for the RSC-200's for the centers. I am with you on the QS-8's though...

Also, AV123 has attractive package deals with Marantz receivers so if I was you, I'd call them and see if I can get one of those in the package as well. Regarding your questions on similar speakers that you can get in India, you can be rest assured that the price you pay for the rockets (including the shipping and duty) would be well worth it. Here's a review of the RS850's and more can be found here... As an aside, you can also ask AV123 for details of Rocket owners in your city who would let you audition them. This way, you would know how it sounds and be able to get a feel of the quality of the product.

Last edited:
Could any one give me idea of the cost of a high end gear compared to the rocket system mentioned above in my previous messages.

like cost of a good 7.1 whardefale?
7.1 audire?
B&W?
and some of the well known speakers cost, that are available in India?

So I will be satisfied that i am spending around 3200$ for this systems.?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
I dont want to throw a damper on you but 3200 is a decent budget for a mid fi system. It may seem a lot but then again you could get a full 5.1 or 7.1 system for 800 bucks from Best Buy that sounds like crap.

AV123, SVS, Axiom Audio, Outlaw Audio, Emotiva, eD are decent mid fi companies that make good quality products at low prices without cutting too many corners. The sound/pic quality from these components are arguably better than BB stuff. Their business model allows for small profits due to not having middle men screwing everywhich way.

So if you hesitate on spending your money then think think think as you will be stuck with whatever you have for a long time. Otherwise, go with good quality ones from the many feedback notes to your queries. worst case you ahve 30 days to return. You dont lose much in this bargain do you?

Could any one give me idea of the cost of a high end gear compared to the rocket system mentioned above in my previous messages.

like cost of a good 7.1 whardefale?
7.1 audire?
B&W?
and some of the well known speakers cost, that are available in India?

So I will be satisfied that i am spending around 3200$ for this systems.?

Thanks a lot

Hi Sam,
Another gadget you probably want is Netgear EVA8000. It is network media player. I guess in time to come we all need to move towards in house movie server. The full HD players like this can easily work in a wireless network and access all the media and send it to TV or Projector. I have slight issues with playing HD video over a wireless network.In that there is also a very descent solution called Netgear powerline AV ethernet adapter.You just plug it in a electrical outlet to get very fast ethernet connection. You also get a descent NAS which can act as a movie and music storage. This is just a thought. Hope u like it.
Thanks,
Mahi.

I dont want to throw a damper on you but 3200 is a decent budget for a mid fi system. It may seem a lot but then again you could get a full 5.1 or 7.1 system for 800 bucks from Best Buy that sounds like crap.

AV123, SVS, Axiom Audio, Outlaw Audio, Emotiva, eD are decent mid fi companies that make good quality products at low prices without cutting too many corners. The sound/pic quality from these components are arguably better than BB stuff. Their business model allows for small profits due to not having middle men screwing everywhich way.

So if you hesitate on spending your money then think think think as you will be stuck with whatever you have for a long time. Otherwise, go with good quality ones from the many feedback notes to your queries. worst case you ahve 30 days to return. You dont lose much in this bargain do you?

Marsilian, thanks for expressing your opinion and I like your active participation and honest thoughts. I think I should be fine with the mid-fi system and do not want a hi-fi system, which I can not differentiate between them(may be not yet). I know for the price, it is worth, just curious, how much would be a comparable system costs in India.

For $3200 which will be roughly around Rs 1.6 lakhs you can get more than a mid-fi system in India including B&W, Monitor Audio and the like which I would not call mid-fi system at any stretch of the imagination.

I do not know the quality of the system you have mentioned there but I do believe for that money the brands mentioned above has got some serious pedigree so you would be better off looking at those.

But if you still think you do not want anything else then go ahead with your purchase.

Marsilian, thanks for expressing your opinion and I like your active participation and honest thoughts. I think I should be fine with the mid-fi system and do not want a hi-fi system, which I can not differentiate between them(may be not yet). I know for the price, it is worth, just curious, how much would be a comparable system costs in India.

I really do not want to sound like a shill pushing the Rockets (or Axioms for that matter), but how about trying to auditioning them to get a feel for them. You should also be able to easily audition the other brands that you seem to be leaning towards and in the end if your ears tell you that one is better than the other, you could just go for it without the 'what if' worm wriggling around your head for eternity. After all $3200 is serious money...

For $3200 which will be roughly around Rs 1.6 lakhs you can get more than a mid-fi system in India including B&W, Monitor Audio and the like which I would not call mid-fi system at any stretch of the imagination.

I do not know the quality of the system you have mentioned there but I do believe for that money the brands mentioned above has got some serious pedigree so you would be better off looking at those.

But if you still think you do not want anything else then go ahead with your purchase.

I do not think so, for 1.6 lakhs we can get a better quality speakers ?

May be you should see what system we were talking about. efficiency ratings, user experience etc of av123 rockets speakers.

Hi Sam,
Another gadget you probably want is Netgear EVA8000. It is network media player. I guess in time to come we all need to move towards in house movie server. The full HD players like this can easily work in a wireless network and access all the media and send it to TV or Projector. I have slight issues with playing HD video over a wireless network.In that there is also a very descent solution called Netgear powerline AV ethernet adapter.You just plug it in a electrical outlet to get very fast ethernet connection. You also get a descent NAS which can act as a movie and music storage. This is just a thought. Hope u like it.
Thanks,
Mahi.

Thanks, But i dont know how much useful it will be?

I do not think so, for 1.6 lakhs we can get a better quality speakers ?

May be you should see what system we were talking about. efficiency ratings, user experience etc of av123 rockets speakers.

You are right Sam I have not auditioned those but I have tried the other ones and those I am sure are more well known than these so it would not hurt for you to audition those as well and then take the plunge.

$3200 is quite a very good budget I just want you to get the best system possible for that money hence my suggestion no offence to rocket; specs are not everything so kindly do not go by those.

Sam,

This thread is very informative.

I am too currently located in US..but planning to return back to India (ma be) next month. Altho I want to by a HTIB (seprate components would be costly) I have not decided which one to buy ($399 is max for me).

Also I am planning to get a palete to ship but worried about customs.

Can you give your inputs ?

Thanks !
Amit

Hi,

I am living in USA. Planning to return to India for good. What are the stuffs I can get from USA so I can use it in india.

I had already brought to india the following items.

1)Sony HW10 video projector
2)Oppo 983H dvd player

Currently I bought.

1)Denon AV receiver 2309ci(120v system)
2)required HDMI cables, Component cables, Toslink optical cables purchased from monoprice.com
3)panasonic bd35 blueray player

I am planning to establish a home theater in my house in india. I have heard lot of problems about power. There are local brands like vertex,krykard etc in India for the servo stabilizer, inverters etc, which I can get in India.

Any other power conditioners shall I bring from US, If yes could you point out the website etc.

Thanks

sam.

Sam,

I am too currently located in US..but planning to return back to India (ma be) next month. Altho I want to by a HTIB (seprate components would be costly) I have not decided which one to buy ($399 is max for me).

Thanks !
Amit

If its HTiB, its worthwhile to just pick it up in India for warranty & VFM purposes. There is not much to gain by buying one in the US as the Onkyo or the Philips system available in India is pretty good.

Thanks marsilians for a quick reply.

Well let me put the fact that I have a very minimal knowledge of Home Theater..and thats the reason I am going for HTiB.

I am feed by others that the cost difference in US and India is quite much..how much I dont know!!

What do you have to say with respect of LCD TV's too ?

Regards,
Amit

Hi,

I am living in USA. Planning to return to India for good. What are the stuffs I can get from USA so I can use it in india.

I had already brought to india the following items.

1)Sony HW10 video projector
2)Oppo 983H dvd player

Currently I bought.

1)Denon AV receiver 2309ci(120v system)
2)required HDMI cables, Component cables, Toslink optical cables purchased from monoprice.com
3)panasonic bd35 blueray player

I am planning to establish a home theater in my house in india. I have heard lot of problems about power. There are local brands like vertex,krykard etc in India for the servo stabilizer, inverters etc, which I can get in India.

Any other power conditioners shall I bring from US, If yes could you point out the website etc.

Thanks

sam.

If its HTiB, its worthwhile to just pick it up in India for warranty & VFM purposes. There is not much to gain by buying one in the US as the Onkyo or the Philips system available in India is pretty good.

Thanks marsilians for a quick reply.

Well let me put the fact that I have a very minimal knowledge of Home Theater..and thats the reason I am going for HTiB.

I am feed by others that the cost difference in US and India is quite much..how much I dont know!!

What do you have to say with respect of LCD TV's too ?

Regards,
Amit

Hi Amit

If anything you could definitely carry an AVR or integrated back with you. This is a better buy than a HTiB in my view though it comes at a bigger investment.

Re: LCD TVs, too much risk in getting it back to India unless you are planning to ship by sea. Is this what you are/were planning?

Sam,

Thanks !
Amit

Hi Amit,
If you want HTiB, go to costco/samsclub, you can get pretty good deal for cheap price. I am not for HTiB. Since you have low budget, i think that will be cost effective.

I am planning to ship via container.

Sam.

Hi Marsilians..

I am planning to ship (via sea) the boxes and palletized them. Altho I dont have the whole container..it would be LCL.

Now, since I am shipping I was thinking of making it worth by buying things like HTiB's and/or LCD TV's. And may be more..

Believe me I am very interested in using this items in India.
All depends on the outcome/advise that I get from this forums.

As of now I have short listed oceanfreightusa for shipping.

Thanks,
Amit

Hi Amit

If anything you could definitely carry an AVR or integrated back with you. This is a better buy than a HTiB in my view though it comes at a bigger investment.

Re: LCD TVs, too much risk in getting it back to India unless you are planning to ship by sea. Is this what you are/were planning?

Hi Sam,

I am also planning to ship (palletized) but not the whole container.
Thanks for your suggestion..I will go to Costco and check out one system.

Would you know though about the Region issue in DVD Players ?

Also, I am planning oceanfreightusa, can I know if you have a better suggestion?

Regards,
Amit

Hi Amit,
If you want HTiB, go to costco/samsclub, you can get pretty good deal for cheap price. I am not for HTiB. Since you have low budget, i think that will be cost effective.

I am planning to ship via container.

Sam.

I have a relative who works on container ships, and he tells me that the cost of containers have fallen drastically due to recession. Try and drive a good bargain there. Also I beleive you you may not pay customs if you have been living abroad and just transferring back.

Cheers

Hi Sam,

I am also planning to ship (palletized) but not the whole container.
Thanks for your suggestion..I will go to Costco and check out one system.

Would you know though about the Region issue in DVD Players ?

Also, I am planning oceanfreightusa, can I know if you have a better suggestion?

Regards,
Amit

I am planning to share with one or two persons and book single container, so all can share. From your info, looks like u r from detroit? I am in bay area, california. Atleast you are here in bay area, we could share container.

There are many shipping companies, sky2c, air7seas, universal shippping etc. try every one and try to get a quote.

I have a region free dvd player oppo 983H. See if you can get one, even basic model like oppo 980hd shud suffice.

I have a region free dvd player oppo 983H. See if you can get one, even basic model like oppo 980hd shud suffice.

Sam -

You have to be careful in what you suggest for DVD players since if Amit ends up buying a a HTiB, most of them don't have option to connect other DVD players.

Amit - If you are planning to ship, couple things to consider for TVs, they have to be shipped in a standing (vertical) position so the circuitry or the screen do not get damaged. I suggest to talk to your shipping company if they can do it. Also, given the price differential, buy a 55-60 inch and you should be set for a while with that.

Re: audio, if you don't know much about the systems, then go ahead and buy a HTiB. Otherwise, if you want to get better sound for additional money, I suggest you buy a AVR like a Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon etc. YOu can check in a store such a bestbuy as to what they look like and such.

Yamaha - 910W 7.1-Ch. Digital Home Theater Receiver - RX-V663BL

is one good example. or if you want to keep things simple then this is another good example

Yamaha - 600W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System - YHT-590BL

Costco or samsclub may have similar setup

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back