Returning to India, from USA, what to buy for a Home Theatre

Amit - If you are planning to ship, couple things to consider for TVs, they have to be shipped in a standing (vertical) position so the circuitry or the screen do not get damaged. I suggest to talk to your shipping company if they can do it. Also, given the price differential, buy a 55-60 inch and you should be set for a while with that.

In addition, it may be better to see if the shipper can put the TV in a wooden frame instead of shipping with just the cardboard carton. Added safety.

Cheers

Sam -

You have to be careful in what you suggest for DVD players since if Amit ends up buying a a HTiB, most of them don't have option to connect other DVD players.

Yes Marsilians, you are right, If he tries to connect dvd player to the HTiB, then he has to make sure it has any HDMI input or other DVD inputs/external inputs are available.

There are limited options for HTib.

Sam -

You have to be careful in what you suggest for DVD players since if Amit ends up buying a a HTiB, most of them don't have option to connect other DVD players.

Amit - If you are planning to ship, couple things to consider for TVs, they have to be shipped in a standing (vertical) position so the circuitry or the screen do not get damaged. I suggest to talk to your shipping company if they can do it. Also, given the price differential, buy a 55-60 inch and you should be set for a while with that.

Re: audio, if you don't know much about the systems, then go ahead and buy a HTiB. Otherwise, if you want to get better sound for additional money, I suggest you buy a AVR like a Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon etc. YOu can check in a store such a bestbuy as to what they look like and such.

Yamaha - 910W 7.1-Ch. Digital Home Theater Receiver - RX-V663BL

is one good example. or if you want to keep things simple then this is another good example

Yamaha - 600W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System - YHT-590BL

Costco or samsclub may have similar setup

Marsilians,

Good to know that TV has to be in vertical position, well I am sure that my shipping dosnt assure me in vertical position. So I believe for now, TV is out of list.

I check out the Yamaha 5.1 HTiB you advised. Looked good. Again I go back to my earlier question, how do I make sure that the DVD player is region free. Or after bringing to India do I have an option of making it Region free ?

Thanks,
Amit

Sam,

I went ahead and did some research on oppo dvd players, they were top rated in almost all the category.

Would I buy oppo, still not decided. But that DVD Player specs says its 7.1 audio. So does it means that I can connect 7.1 speakers directly to the DVD player without the receiver ? I doubt so..then what is the purpose of providing 7.1 in DVD Players ?

Thanks for you inputs..
Amit

I am planning to share with one or two persons and book single container, so all can share. From your info, looks like u r from detroit? I am in bay area, california. Atleast you are here in bay area, we could share container.

There are many shipping companies, sky2c, air7seas, universal shippping etc. try every one and try to get a quote.

I have a region free dvd player oppo 983H. See if you can get one, even basic model like oppo 980hd shud suffice.

Sam,

I went ahead and did some research on oppo dvd players, they were top rated in almost all the category.

Would I buy oppo, still not decided. But that DVD Player specs says its 7.1 audio. So does it means that I can connect 7.1 speakers directly to the DVD player without the receiver ? I doubt so..then what is the purpose of providing 7.1 in DVD Players ?

Thanks for you inputs..
Amit

Hi Amit

Oppo makes excellent DVD players. Let me know if you can can't secure one, I have sources that can get you brand new in stock as they have many resellers that still have stock.

RE: 7.1, this is excellent for high res disks though for the most part you will be happy with 5.1. I suggest the 980 for your purposes. I would buy it in the US as its much cheaper than in India.

Look at AVRs as well as I indicated. this + speakers could be part of your shipment with a TV purchased in India. Can't go too wrong with that optoin.

I have never seen a dvd video disk with 7.1 channel. May be dvd audio or SACD could have 7.1 channels, I am not sure.

you might need pre amplifiers to drive big speakers.

983H audio is excellent. It has one of the best DAC for the audio.

Last edited:

I am not sure. You could still connect 7.1 speakers to this oppo dvd player. It will need lot of power to drive less efficient big speaker. But it could drive small speakers. you might need pre amplifiers which takes speaker level input to drive big speakers. 983H audio is excellent. It has one of the best DAC for the audio.

I am sorry, but this information is completely wrong. DVD Players such as Oppo do not provide any amplification, nor do they have any way of connecting speakers directly. They cannot drive any speaker whatsoever directly. None of the Oppo models can do this.

Usually a DVD Player sends the audio signals in raw format to the AVR for the AVR to process. The AVR decodes the audio signals, sends it to 6 or 8 channels, does the DAC conversion, and amplifies as many channels as needed. In a 5.1, five channels are amplified and the Point 1 is sent to the sub for amplification. In a 7.1, 7 channels are amplified and the Point 1 is again sent to the sub for amplification. This type of data transfer between the DVD Player and the AVR is usually digital in format using either HDMI, Coaxial, or, Optical connections.

Some advanced DVD Players have the capacity to decode (not amplify) the signals, and separate them into 6 or 8 channels as required. They also do the DAC conversion, and output the signals through 6 or 8 analog connections. If you look at the back of the receiver, there will be upto 8 color coded RCA connectors. A multichannel amp, can take these individual analog signals, amplify them, and feed them to the speakers. Oppo is one such DVD Player.

See my http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html for more details on this and the color scheme.

Please do not confuse this with an HTIB, An HTIB is usually a DVD Player with a independent decoder and amplifier built into the same box. The basic principles are the same. No DVD Player has any amplification capabilities by itself.

Cheers

Venkat, you are right, I meant the 7.1 channel outs could be connected via a pre amplifier, which could take 7.1 channels. For that matter, AVR is the best.

Hi venkatcr,

Thanks for putting out the details. I am trying to research some options, once i feel comfortable with something - then I will take further advise from this forum.

tc..
amit

I am sorry, but this information is completely wrong. DVD Players such as Oppo do not provide any amplification, nor do they have any way of connecting speakers directly. They cannot drive any speaker whatsoever directly. None of the Oppo models can do this.

Usually a DVD Player sends the audio signals in raw format to the AVR for the AVR to process. The AVR decodes the audio signals, sends it to 6 or 8 channels, does the DAC conversion, and amplifies as many channels as needed. In a 5.1, five channels are amplified and the Point 1 is sent to the sub for amplification. In a 7.1, 7 channels are amplified and the Point 1 is again sent to the sub for amplification. This type of data transfer between the DVD Player and the AVR is usually digital in format using either HDMI, Coaxial, or, Optical connections.

Some advanced DVD Players have the capacity to decode (not amplify) the signals, and separate them into 6 or 8 channels as required. They also do the DAC conversion, and output the signals through 6 or 8 analog connections. If you look at the back of the receiver, there will be upto 8 color coded RCA connectors. A multichannel amp, can take these individual analog signals, amplify them, and feed them to the speakers. Oppo is one such DVD Player.

See my http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html for more details on this and the color scheme.

Please do not confuse this with an HTIB, An HTIB is usually a DVD Player with a independent decoder and amplifier built into the same box. The basic principles are the same. No DVD Player has any amplification capabilities by itself.

Cheers

Hi All,

In this thread I was suggested that Oppo 980 can work for me..but I was trying to get some price but i belive its not in market. Oppo 980H is available for 169.99 from Amazone.

Any idea usually where can I fine the price information to buy?

Thanks,
amit

In this thread I was suggested that Oppo 980 can work for me..but I was trying to get some price but i belive its not in market. Oppo 980H is available for 169.99 from Amazone.

Any idea usually where can I fine the price information to buy?

Oppo makes only three models, and they are officially called Oppo DV-980H, Oppo DV-981HD, and Oppo DV-983H. In this forum many of us call the first model 980 for brevity. When we say 980 or Oppo 980, we are referring to Oppo DV-980H. And yes, the price is US$169. See OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio for more details on the product.

Cheers

Sam:

6. Multi Channel Speaker Cable.

Since you have a Oppo 983 and the Panasonic Blu-Ray player, IF you are interested in multichannel music, it may be worthwhile to allow these players to decode the multi channel sound and just amplify it by the AVR. You can look for either a 5.1 or a 7.1 cables set. Please visit Multi-channel Audio Cables from Blue Jeans Cable for more details.

Cheers

Hi Ventat,
Just curious, why do we want to convert digital to analog and then analog to digital using these 5.1 or 7.1 channel cables? Is there any advantage in doing this.

Would HDMI out from 983H or Blu ray bd35 better? HDMI out also should be able to give multi-channel Audio right.

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited:
At the outset, my heading is wrong. It should be "6.0 Multichannel Analog Interconnect".

I am sorry if what I said sounds confusing. As you rightly said, you do NOT convert the signal from digital to analog and back to digital.

When you send a signal completely in the digital domain from the DVD Player to the AVR, all the decoding, conversion (DAC) and amplification is done by the AVR. BUT, there are some players that can do the decoding and DAC themselves. When this is done, the DVD Player sends the signals as 6 or 8 independent analogue signals. The AVR does nothing but pick up these signals and just amplify them in the analogue domain. There is no decoding or conversion being done by the AVR. Just amplification. Manufacturers of these DVD Players claim that their decoding and DAC is better than many AVRs.

Things get a little complicated when you start working with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio lossless audio formats. With some complications in HDMI, it may actually better to decode and do the DAC in the DVD Player, particularly for Blu-Ray discs. You will understand why down below.

HDMI is an evolving standard. HDMI 1.0 established the parameters for transmitting HD video and uncompressed audio. HDMI 1.2 added some features such as support for DVD-Audio. But neither 1.0 nor 1.2a will carry the native digital bitstreams for the advanced Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio lossless audio formats.

This was changed with the arrival of HDNI 1.3. For video, 1.3 increases the bandwidth to carry more colour detail. HDMI 1.3 can carry the Deep Color or x.v.YCC formats that promise billions of possible colors, smoother color gradients, and the elimination of banding artifacts.

When we get to audio, things start to get complicated. Your standard DTS or Dolby Digital can be transmitted as a lossy codec by a S/PDIF or any HDMI cable. In addition uncompressed multichannel PCM will also work easily with HDMI. Coaxial and optical cables do not have the bandwidth to carry uncompressed PCM.

There are four new formats - Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio are very common in Blu-Ray discs, and Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio are rarely used. For you to enjoy the full capabilities of these sound formats, the Blu-Ray player must either deocde these formats itself, or send them as raw bitstream (also called native bitstream) to the AVR. When it is done at the DVDP, the player converts the audio to PCM and this can be transmitted over even HDMI 1.0. Not all Blu-Ray players have the ability to decode these high resolution formats. When this happens you have to transmit the audio signals in it's native format along with codec and everything. The AVR will receive the signal, decode it and amplify it. For this, both the DVDP and the AVR HAVE to be 1.3 compliant.

Both methods will give you high quality lossless sound. The choice between letting the Blu-Ray player do it or the AVR do it will depend upon the specification of the two units.

Some AVRs HDMI capability can handle only video and have what is called HDMI pass through. Or they may not have the capability to decode Dolby TureHD and DTS-HD Master audio. When this is the case, you will be able to listen to high resolution audio only if the DVD player can perform the decoding, DAC conversion, and send the data as independent analog signals.

I hope things are clear now.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat for your detailed reply. I really appreciate your attitude of taking your efforts and time to answer each and every question. Not only that you always know the latest trend in technologies.

Yes its handy to have those interconnects, in case, to have to be compatible between different AV receivers and dvd players.

regards.. sam.

Good post venkat. I have a query too :)
Lot of AVRs seem to have bugs wrt to handling video signals, at least the older generation avrs. They may still process multi channel pcm audio very well.
In such a case, how can we avoid sending video through AVR, while sending multichannel audio to AVR through HDMI. In other words, send video directly to TV.
One way to do this could be an HDMI splitter. But can such a product add noise of it's own to the digital signals? Are they easily available?

regards
Anant

At the outset, my heading is wrong. It should be "6.0 Multichannel Analog Interconnect".

I am sorry if what I said sounds confusing. As you rightly said, you do NOT convert the signal from digital to analog and back to digital.

When you send a signal completely in the digital domain from the DVD Player to the AVR, all the decoding, conversion (DAC) and amplification is done by the AVR. BUT, there are some players that can do the decoding and DAC themselves. When this is done, the DVD Player sends the signals as 6 or 8 independent analogue signals. The AVR does nothing but pick up these signals and just amplify them in the analogue domain. There is no decoding or conversion being done by the AVR. Just amplification. Manufacturers of these DVD Players claim that their decoding and DAC is better than many AVRs.

Things get a little complicated when you start working with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio lossless audio formats. With some complications in HDMI, it may actually better to decode and do the DAC in the DVD Player, particularly for Blu-Ray discs. You will understand why down below.

HDMI is an evolving standard. HDMI 1.0 established the parameters for transmitting HD video and uncompressed audio. HDMI 1.2 added some features such as support for DVD-Audio. But neither 1.0 nor 1.2a will carry the native digital bitstreams for the advanced Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio lossless audio formats.

This was changed with the arrival of HDNI 1.3. For video, 1.3 increases the bandwidth to carry more colour detail. HDMI 1.3 can carry the Deep Color or x.v.YCC formats that promise billions of possible colors, smoother color gradients, and the elimination of banding artifacts.

When we get to audio, things start to get complicated. Your standard DTS or Dolby Digital can be transmitted as a lossy codec by a S/PDIF or any HDMI cable. In addition uncompressed multichannel PCM will also work easily with HDMI. Coaxial and optical cables do not have the bandwidth to carry uncompressed PCM.

There are four new formats - Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio are very common in Blu-Ray discs, and Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio are rarely used. For you to enjoy the full capabilities of these sound formats, the Blu-Ray player must either deocde these formats itself, or send them as raw bitstream (also called native bitstream) to the AVR. When it is done at the DVDP, the player converts the audio to PCM and this can be transmitted over even HDMI 1.0. Not all Blu-Ray players have the ability to decode these high resolution formats. When this happens you have to transmit the audio signals in it's native format along with codec and everything. The AVR will receive the signal, decode it and amplify it. For this, both the DVDP and the AVR HAVE to be 1.3 compliant.

Both methods will give you high quality lossless sound. The choice between letting the Blu-Ray player do it or the AVR do it will depend upon the specification of the two units.

Some AVRs HDMI capability can handle only video and have what is called HDMI pass through. Or they may not have the capability to decode Dolby TureHD and DTS-HD Master audio. When this is the case, you will be able to listen to high resolution audio only if the DVD player can perform the decoding, DAC conversion, and send the data as independent analog signals.

I hope things are clear now.

Cheers

Good post venkat. I have a query too :) Lot of AVRs seem to have bugs wrt to handling video signals, at least the older generation avrs. They may still process multi channel pcm audio very well. In such a case, how can we avoid sending video through AVR, while sending multichannel audio to AVR through HDMI. In other words, send video directly to TV. One way to do this could be an HDMI splitter. But can such a product add noise of it's own to the digital signals? Are they easily available?

Thanks for the appreciation.

The issue with what you are asking for is that most DVD Players have only one HDMI out. There are various ways of solving this issue:

1. Use a Component Cable to connect the DVDP to the TV directly. Use an HDMI cable for connection to the AVR. You will get up to 720P with this method.

2. Use the HDMI for DVDP to TV. Use Optical or coaxial digital for connecting DVDP to the AVR. This will work for all audio signals excepting the new HD signals.

3. Use a HDMI switch/splitter as you said. Use three cables. One from the DVDP to the switch, one from the switch to the TV, and one from the switch to the AVR.

A good quality switch/splitter will not add any noise whatsoever. So they are safe to use. Some sophisticated one also have a inbuilt amplifier to enhance the signal strength,

Cheers

Hi Sam, try to get Sansui AU 717 real BIG beast to support your 2 channel listening. Real 85 watts of vintage power, built like a tank!!!!!
plenty of good amps on eBay right now. Pioneer SA 9800 is one more option.

Review on AU 717
audioreview.com

AU717.jpg

Regards,
Anil

any idea where they can be found in India and at what cost? regards

You have to check with companies such as DNM in Mumbai who manufacture switches and splitters. Oppo makes a good quality switch and sells it for a pittance. But, of course, that is in the US.

Check with a few upmarket dealers who may be able to import one for you.

Cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back