Roku streaming in india

Hi, I'm looking for router where i can configure VPN directly, any suggestions? if this is not possible can u pls let me know a good router where i can flash DD-WRT? thanks

Hi guys, thanks to you all i got hooked up with the streaming thingy. Yesterday i was on leave and though "what the heck" lemme give it a try. My friend was kind enough to give his unused Cisco Router WRT320N to my experiment. I know he is real brave heart and ready to risk his 7K router. I already had a Cisco WAG120N as ADSL modem + Router.

So this is what I did to make my router(WRT320N) directly connect to VPN without using the computer,

1. Connected my WRT320N to my WAG120N and created two different networks. Basically I enabled DHCP server in my second router. Didn't take much time and everything worked. At this point I had two networks.
2. Flashed my WRT320N with dd-wrt NEWD K2.6 Mini Generic build (dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin).

*** THIS IS NOT FOR FAINT HEARTED, YOU RUN THE SERIOUS RISK OF BRICKING YOUR ROUTER, PLS DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU ARE SERIOUS ****

During the entire process I was praying to BESCOM God's (Bangalore Electricity Board) to spare me from power cuts. I don't have UPS at home
3. After the mini flash i flashed my router with NEWD K2.6 VPN Generic (dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn.bin). After I rebooted my router i was able to see VPN build details in the top right of the router control panel
4. I already had one month VPN account from HideIPVPN which I tested in my laptop
5. I tried configuring PPTP in the router using HideIPVPN and the connection never happened
6. I tried the same configuration for L2TP and bingo it connected
7. Then connected my PS3 to this new network and downloaded Hulu Plus and Netflix
8. Singed up for one month free Netflix streaming
9. Streamed Red Cliff from Netflix and Family guy from Hulu sample videos
10. Worked like a charm :yahoo:

Though couple of time Internet went off it worked really well. Need to investigate why the Internet connection is dropping off.

thanks to all your help again....:signthankspin:

Comments / suggestions ??

Wow! I'd been thinking about this.

For those who've tried / evaluated this...

What would be the minimum ISP package / Internet Speed required for this? Given the Indian Connectons?
Which ones are you guys using?

Can someone outline TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP (TCO)?
i.e.

ISP Package Name & Price $$ ? +
VPN Packaage & Price ? +
NetFlix Roku (Initial Cost) + Monthly $$?
Etc?

I'm using BSNL 4Mbps unlimited connection. Generally get around 2 Mbps sometime if i am lucky I get 3+ Mbps. I'm playing Rs 900 for the Internet and telephone. Netflix checks the Internet speed before playing any movies and based on the speed it adjusts the quality of the movie. I have played lot of movies and not once it stopped for buffering. Though the quality of the movie varied, but most of the time I got DVD quality. In particular "From Paris with Love" was excellent DVD quality. I stream Netfilx through my PS3 connected to my router configured to the VPN network. I use HideIPVPN and its costs around $5.99/month. StrongVPN is better but it costs couple of $ more. I'm using Netflix one month trail I guess it costs around 7-8$ after the trail. Do note that Netflix doesn't have latest movies so do the trail period and see if you want to continue.

Vudu has all the latest movies but its very expensive, did not try it yet.

I also stream Hulu on my laptop. Hulu has lot of free TV shows and I get 320p or 420p. They have Hulu plus not sure about the cost.

Do let me know if you need any more details.

Anyone you has done this please suggest other options...

Hi Friends,

sorry for coming back to this thread after long time.
posting the pics of my netflix and apple tv streaming.
Been using the setup for the last 2 months and steaming is fine with average quality picture on netflix and good quality on amazon with zero interruptions during the movie for buffering.
I have used another router flashed with dd wrt router with my primary router and subscribed to Open VPN service and upgraded to beam 15 mbps internet connection.
Will post more details on setup shortly.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108334736226000852428/Roku?authuser=0&feat=directlink

@dushie: Have posted the pics and some details, let me know what more you need.
@manny: i have been using strong VPN for the last 6 months and great service

Yeah i too have Strong VPN now...great service. Which internet connection ur using? 15 mbps is gr8 :)

@manny: Beam fibre in hyderabad.Have tested with airtel 4mbps as well, once we go behind the VPN the speed for both 15mbps and 4 mbps connections has been around 1 mbps.
With airtel hulu was stuttering but after i adjusted the pic quality in hulu setting to 480p/560p instead of auto things got better.

ok thanks for the info....so higher speed doesn't make any difference behind the VPN....yeah hulu's 560p/480p is good enough...

Hey guys and greetings from Romania !
Everything sounds wonderfull, i am happy you managed to set it up.
My main problem and question is the following: can you pay with your indian credit card the monthly subscription to hulu and netflix ?
Thanks allot, waiting for your reply :)
btw, did you manage to find a VPN that lets u stream 720p ?

Hi,

I just bought a Roku 2 XS (got it delivered from Amazon US). Signed up for VPN from Hidemyass. Also bought an Asus ASUS RT-N16 router. Only thing, I don't know how to enter the VPN details (provided by the VPN Service) in the router. Can you explain the steps. Thanks in advance!

rgds

Easiest way:

1. Purchase VPN service ($5 per month onwards)
2. Purchase router with VPN support (3k)
3. Enter VPN details (provided by VPN Service) in router
4. Connect media player / TV / Laptop to router via WiFi or LAN

After this, Youtube/ Amazon / Roku will think that you are in US and will not block video content.

I have Sharp LCD 32" AQUOS TV which has HDMI and VGA input ports, I also have Vonets VAPG11 WIFI sharing adapter. also have Motorola VOIP adapter which i use to call USA NUMBER. have DLINK and Lynksys wifi roters

I want to stream from laptop to TV and make my TV WIFI enabled.
Following alternative I have in Mind.

Roku 2 XD or S
ANY portable DVD player (with its own screen) with built in WIFI
SET TOP BOX with built in WIFI

Is there any suggestion as best alternative? My son would come in a months time from US and I can buy items on EBAY(USA) with USA delivery point.

I look forward to interesting suggestions.

Thanks

Uday Ukidwe

Hi,

Is there any way I can buy a Roku Streaming Player in India? Malluboss said that he got it from the US..
Thanks and regards,
Vasan

Hi Vasan,

Roku sells the player only in US and since the conent is copyright protected it does not work outside US unless you have a VPN for US server to work in india.

Hi Uday,

You can get either Roku with plex app installed free in both roku and in ur mac/windows and you should be able to stream from ur laptop to TV.
Else apple tv with itunes also works but you need to convert them into the itunes format before streaming.

Hope this helps.

Guys, finally got my WD player and have setup Netflix on the same, i am getting DVD quality and the movies play non stop without any buffering. Next i am looking to get a huluplus subscription, but do not have a US credit card. The gift card option is expensive.

If anyone has or can help in getting huluplus subscription let me know. I won't mind sharing the cost if someone wants to use the same in sharing.

Guys, finally got my WD player and have setup Netflix on the same, i am getting DVD quality and the movies play non stop without any buffering. Next i am looking to get a huluplus subscription, but do not have a US credit card. The gift card option is expensive.

If anyone has or can help in getting huluplus subscription let me know. I won't mind sharing the cost if someone wants to use the same in sharing.

Hi

How did you manage to get Netflix on WD in India, even I want to use the Netflix a/c on my xbmc htpc. The a/c with netflix works only with US region. Also what ISP you use to get non stop streaming, I have a 4 mbps airtel connection so thought of trying out the netflix or hulu on my htpc.

Thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back