Roku streaming in india

Hi Guys,

My Roku 3 is landing here on Jan 11.A friend who is visiting his son is getting it for me from amazon.I am already getting Netflix on my Nexus 7, Lumia and my desktop.Bought an LG LED TV recently.I am not able to mirror the Netflix from my Nexus.Hoping to get it on my big screen thro Roku.Watched the Netflix on my tv by connecting with my daughter's laptop.The picture quality was excellent. So looking forward to get the Roku.

cheers,
sri

Hi,
Got my Roku 3 and got it up and running.The size really shocked me.It just fits into ur palm. Netflix and amazon videos look great on the big screen. Crackle is a free channel on the Roku.Roku is very user friendly and has a fast processor too. Got a 4 mbps net and streaming is excellent.The one thing that made me very happy is u can plugin ur headphones into the remote provided with Roku for night time watching.Youtube is also added recently. A great gadget indeed.

cheers,
sri

I am planning to get a Roku 3 from US to use mostly for Netflix/HULU. I already tried Netflix using unlocator/Tunlr and they are working fine on both my laptop/Ipad.

Now I want to see those channels on my 50" Pana. I investigated apple TV/Chromecast/Roku and found Roku is the best VFM. Now my questions are

1. Do I need VPN service to watch on Roku or I can feed DNS Details of Tunlr/Unlocator into Roku ??

2. If I need a VPN Service whice is the best VFM ?

3. I am confortable with two router setup and I believe my Dlink 2750U doesnot support VPN out of the box. So which the best router to setup VPN out of the box. Don't want to go through DD-WRT route until there is absolute necessity.

the i Guys,
I am not able to stream Netflix on my Roku 3. I am using unlocator service and amazon instant is playing without a hitch.Netflix is giving the the error message "Sorry Netflix hasn't come to this part of the world'. But Netflix is playing smoothly on my Nexus 7 and Lumia.I am baffled.Any help will be much appreciated.
Thankjs & Cheers,
sri

the i Guys,
I am not able to stream Netflix on my Roku 3. I am using unlocator service and amazon instant is playing without a hitch.Netflix is giving the the error message "Sorry Netflix hasn't come to this part of the world'. But Netflix is playing smoothly on my Nexus 7 and Lumia.I am baffled.Any help will be much appreciated.
Thankjs & Cheers,
sri

did you get a solution, r u using DNS entries on your modem or on the device?

@Sam, a quick question regarding the VPN facility for online streaming services of US in India. You have given some options at the start of this thread of using the DNS updates on the router and I have few queries regarding the same, by the way I am loving the Spotify with a free account as of now and the quality of the streaming too good to believe with my ODAC :clapping:

1. I use the chrome plugin as of now to play Spotify streaming in my music-pc.
2. I haven't tried the DNS changes based on the VPN account, as any changes that I do, I need to request my service provider to reset my MAC as I do not get internet access because of these changes (local provider with 25mbps unlimited connection :eek:hyeah: just for 1k)
3. Now I got Rocki play device on which the Spotify app is going to be launched very soon, but I cannot use it in India because of the location restriction and I cannot use the chrome plugin and hence invariably I need to depend on the DNS changes on the router which I want to avoid at least on the main router.
4. Can I get another router and pair with the main router and use the DNS changes on the paired router and leave the changes in the main router.
May be i am asking too much but is there a possibility :)

Thanks in advance.

VPN and DNS are two different way to access the US based site. I use DNS as its easy and cheap as well.

1. I dont understand why would you request a MAC reset while using DNS, I also am now using a different Cable Modem based internet that works on logon system and binds the MAC address. I havent faced any issue while making any changes to DNS

2. I do not have Roku, but I guess it should behave the same way as WD TV Live, as WD TV also did not have certain application initially. What I had to do was to put the DNS service so that WD assumes its in US and then update the firmware, which added the applications specific to US. I guess the same trick should work with Roku as well.

3. NOt sure what you trying to achieve here .... :) You need to be a bit more specific as to what you want to achieve, I can then suggest accordingly.

VPN and DNS are two different way to access the US based site. I use DNS as its easy and cheap as well.

1. I dont understand why would you request a MAC reset while using DNS, I also am now using a different Cable Modem based internet that works on logon system and binds the MAC address. I havent faced any issue while making any changes to DNS

2. I do not have Roku, but I guess it should behave the same way as WD TV Live, as WD TV also did not have certain application initially. What I had to do was to put the DNS service so that WD assumes its in US and then update the firmware, which added the applications specific to US. I guess the same trick should work with Roku as well.

3. NOt sure what you trying to achieve here .... :) You need to be a bit more specific as to what you want to achieve, I can then suggest accordingly.

Thanks sam, coming to your questions...
1. I use a TP-Link router rooted with DD-WRT firmware and I use the local broadband cable modem with the login/password mechanism. The reason I need to ask for reset of the MAC with the provider is that if I make any changes on the security or any other settings (I am not specific as I will check it later on my router and report back) the internet access is disabled and then I need to call up them to reset and it again works fine.
2. I think I need to read more on DNS service as I can utilize the same as per your recommendations above to make the changes on my router to stream Spotify on my devices.
3. What I wanted to achieve is that rather than making any modifications on my main wifi router can I connect a wifi repeater (or something similar router) and then make the necessary DNS settings on the repeater and connect only those devices/services like Spotify/Netflix which require the location specific access. This way I can utilize my main router for regular usage and the different router for specific applications. I hope I made it clear now.
4. Coming to the device I have a "Rocki" play device for wifi audio streaming from mobile/tab etc., and not Roku which is also similar kind of streaming device but for video/audio. The Rocki is only for audio streaming and I think they have a Rocki+ with a HDMI interface for video streaming as well.

Edit: I just read it online that if I use the DNS service settings like say US then all my internet traffic will be routed through this DNS rather than my local ISP providers. Correct me if I am wrong. If this is the case then I wanted to avoid as I cannot utilize the full bandwidth of my entitled plan of 25mbps (at least half of that at regular intervals).

Last edited:
I just purchased a roku 3 from US last month. Got it to India and took the unotelly DNS subscription, I am able to stream Netflix Pandora and other channels which has region restrictions

I just purchased a roku 3 from US last month. Got it to India and took the unotelly DNS subscription, I am able to stream Netflix Pandora and other channels which has region restrictions

Congrats can you guide me how did you go about using the DNS service. Do you leave the DNS settings on always on your router setup or use it only when you require to stream on Netflix.

Guys ...try this DNS provider playmotv to unlock USA channels...Iam using with my Apple TV ...it's good.

Last edited:
1. I use a TP-Link router rooted with DD-WRT firmware and I use the local broadband cable modem with the login/password mechanism. The reason I need to ask for reset of the MAC with the provider is that if I make any changes on the security or any other settings (I am not specific as I will check it later on my router and report back) the internet access is disabled and then I need to call up them to reset and it again works fine.

That is strange behaviour, I have a Linksys E2000 also connected to cable modem (login/pass mech) and I do not loose internet if I make any changes, unless it needs a router restart, even then I do not need to call support to reset MAC. That is really strange behaviour ....... but anyway

3. What I wanted to achieve is that rather than making any modifications on my main wifi router can I connect a wifi repeater (or something similar router) and then make the necessary DNS settings on the repeater and connect only those devices/services like Spotify/Netflix which require the location specific access. This way I can utilize my main router for regular usage and the different router for specific applications. I hope I made it clear now.

The router where you would enter the DNS entries must have direct access to internet, i.e directly connected to Modem. Else services would not work. If you want to keep things separate, then create two separate networks. The Primary router, one that will use spotify or netflix should be directly connected to cable modem. the other one which will be used for other activities (secondary router) will be connected to the WAN port of the primary router(the one which you are using for spotify)

Make sure that secondary router has DHCP turned off and only you primary router is handling the IPs assignment (i.e have DHCP turn on) .......

Google for more details ...how to achieve this

4. Coming to the device I have a "Rocki" play device for wifi audio streaming from mobile/tab etc., and not Roku which is also similar kind of streaming device but for video/audio. The Rocki is only for audio streaming and I think they have a Rocki+ with a HDMI interface for video streaming as well.

oh! .....lol and I thought it was a typo ...:D....I will have to research more on this Roki and get back

Edit: I just read it online that if I use the DNS service settings like say US then all my internet traffic will be routed through this DNS rather than my local ISP providers. Correct me if I am wrong. If this is the case then I wanted to avoid as I cannot utilize the full bandwidth of my entitled plan of 25mbps (at least half of that at regular intervals).

You can use any DNS to route your traffic let alone your ISP one, it should not effect your bandwidth. Infact to get better ping lots of people manually change the DNS. It might effect few sites, but in general they are fine. I have been using smart proxy for a month now (free account) and I have not seen any bandwidth issue so far... (hence the purchase) .....

Last edited:
Thanks Sam, here is the settings page of my DD-WRT router

Let me know which option do I need to change for the DNS IP address changes.

Last edited:
I have been using unblock us on my router and watching netflix on my ps3 for the last six months without a problem. Recently a friend brought roku 3 from the US and i am having problems in getting us channels in that. No netflix, hulu or amazon prime. it has been connected through the same router and i have a valid us address on my roku account too. it is showing a lot of channels but not the above mentioned ones. Please help.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back