Samsung 64F8500 - No Picture - Service quote is 80k

vij

Guys, I am devastated. My Samsung 64 F8500 has died on me just after warranty. Has sound but no picture.

1. It started around the 11th month where the TV would only give out the sound(no picture) once in a while - this happened once every 20 starts or so.
2. Around the 13th month, the TV wouldnt start once in a while(1 in 5 starts) but would eventually start within a min... This delay extended sometimes to 5 min by the 14 month.
3. Now it just wont show picture and only give the sound. The weird part is that even the sound only comes in after about a minute of the power light blink.

Here is the video I made
https://www.youtube.com/embed/lCna-TihxgY

Samsung India service asking to change panel and quoted 80k with the TV just out of warranty :(

I am screwed.

Last edited:
Well, that's what the service engineer told me.

When they first arrived the TV was still in a condition where it eventually would start alright - so they said it could be the power supply and replaced the power supply. It made no difference. Then they replaced motherboard - no difference.

They took both new parts back ofcourse - and suggested to replace panel for 80k after discount(ya right). I declined this suggestion especially since the TV was still starting alright.

But since the past few days nothing but sound - even that kicks in after almost a minute. Unbelievabley, sometimes the TV volume goes to zero by itself and I have to ramp it up to get "sound" (no picture)

Samsung India have a section where "apparently" we can send complaint or suggestion email to the executive management - I am doing that now with a link to my video. Not holding my breath - but I am not going to splurge 80k servicing a TV that's just over a year old without trying my best.

Last edited:
Even if the the first complaint was raised inside warranty period, it would have helped...

The reason i asked if Samsung provided any options is because, i have heard few instances where they offer depreciated value for the TV.. (Don't recollect if this applies inside Warranty or outside warranty period)

Sorry to hear this... but you should have got an extended warranty for your TV. Most people go for extended warranty as these TVs don't last very long and you have to pay a hefty amount if it is not under warranty/ extended warranty.

And this is applicable to almost any kind of electronics these days.

Sorry to hear this... but you should have got an extended warranty for your TV. Most people go for extended warranty as these TVs don't last very long and you have to pay a hefty amount if it is not under warranty/ extended warranty.

And this is applicable to almost any kind of electronics these days.
I have never experienced such problems before - We have 3 televisions at home and 2 more at a 2nd home. All going solid.

Having said that, this is the first time I purchased a Samsung TV. First time such a big one too.

Well, the price for extended warranty per year for this TV will equal the purchase price of a small flat panel TV :lol:

I had a Sony bravia which needed panel replacement after 4-5 years. These brands are just not dependable anymore.

Thats bad to hear :(. I still don't understand why they cant make something good :) for the money we pay.

Am curiously looking to extend my TV warranty, called Samsung 5 days back, they are still sending someone to home to check it out.

Try asking samsung personell whether he would do it for a bit lesser off duty. The technician who visited me quoted 5k instead of 8k when my 32" tv had conked off. He repaired the tv at his own risk....i mean that he procured part from the company and repaired it on his own without company coming to know. See if this can be done to get the cost of damage a bit lower.
ITS SAD TO SEE THE RATE OF FAILURE OF SUCH ELECTRONICS.

Please escalate this. Don't give up, have patience. Obtain the email ID of your region head, take your dealer in the loop.

These things are very scary. I will most probably be buying an extended warranty for my Bravia next month.

Scary indeed... that too after investing so much.

Both my Pana's have been running well (touch wood) for around 2 years... but my Videocon did conk out a couple of times, small repair of around 1.5K but the last one seems to have fixed it as no issues for the past 2 months.

Going forward it makes sense to get extended warranty or invest in a PJ setup for such prices... or better still roll with something like Micromax... at least you can buy 5-6 TVs for that price.

Sad to know this. Flagship and expensive model going faulty within just 1 year is scary. Should have been better if taken extended warranty for 2 or 3 yrs even though its around 20k which is less compared to 76k for the new panel.
Hope the new panel will have warranty.

Are you going in for replacement ? (or) considering any other options ...

I am going to ask a local technician to have a look. Absolutely not hopeful, but I guess I will throw another Rs500 at this before getting ripped off by Samsung.

I also had problems with other Samsung products too. My Note 2 had connector problems and now my Note 3 gives mild screen problems once in a while (I am a rough user though). I am done with Samsung for good.

Last edited:
Sad to hear that. I have tried to resist taking extended warranties even though the salesmen have insisted on it but hearing this I think it is essential to pay a bit more at point of purchase than a lot more down the line when the item is out of the Warranty. Brand reliability has no meaning these days, even for passive devices. I have a set Infinity Bookshelf Speaker and one piece of that conked out after a few years of service. Got the Woofer replaced at roughly the same original cost of the whole Assembly and the thing conked out again roughly after the same interval of time.

I have just got a call from head-office telling me they will try to work out some form of a discount, but no promises as of now.

I remember my cousin who was a VP in Sansui telling me that the manufacturing cost of flat panel TVs is only about 20% of the selling price. They forecast after taking into account the warranty claims and then some for televisions.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back