Samsung LAB650 OWNERS DISCUSSION, REVIEWS & OPINION

zabak

Samsung LAB650 OWNERS DISCUSSION, REVIEWS & OPINION (LA40B650T1R - INDIA)

SAMSUNG Introduced LA40B650T1R in India last month.
Here are some reviews - source HDTV UK.
spd_20090422180945_b.jpg

Design

The Samsung LA40B650 retains the reflective "Ultra Clear Panel" screen, the glossy black bezel, the layer of clear plastic extending beyond the frame on all sides, and the polished rear surface previously seen on the A656 series. That said, a couple of stylistic updates have been applied to the Samsung LA40B650 LCD TV. The bottom border of the bezel widens towards the middle where the Samsung logo lies, producing a broad horseshoe-shaped droop which makes a refreshing change from the boxy shape of recent HDTVs.

The table-top stand is packaged separately from the LCD screen inside the shipping box, but requires no further assembly so it's just simple task of lowering the Samsung LA40B650 panel onto the translucent pedestal stem that connects to a solid rectangular glass base. While not as sexy as some other LCD HDTVs with slimmer profiles, the Samsung LA40B650 remains elegant enough to adorn any suitably-sized living room.

Notes On Video Processing

Armed with Samsung's new billion-dollar picture processing circuit, standard-def video processing on the Samsung LA40B650 was better in almost every respect than the A656 series (and any other HDTVs bar the Pioneer Kuro plasmas and the latest Toshiba LCDs).
LA40B650T1R_dimage_b.jpg

The quality of upconversion/scaling was good: details in the grass and stone bridge on the HQV test disc looked sufficiently sharp without any sign of excessive ringing. Nevertheless, the picture still appeared slightly softer than the Sony PS3, which is perhaps an unfair comparison given that the PS3 is quite a formidable SD DVD upscaler especially when updated with the latest firmware.

The Samsung LA40B650's video mode deinterlacing is right up there with the best of all the HDTVs we have tested so far, masterfully smoothening the jagged edges in the rotating wheel, bouncing bars and waving flag test patterns.

With [Film Mode] engaged, the Samsung LA40B650 aced the 3:2 cadence tests in 480i and 1080i, and the 2:2 cadence tests in 576i... the LCD TV even managed to lock onto the second variant which we've never seen any other HDTV do before.

Here's the difference between [Film Mode] "Auto 1" and "Auto 2":

* Auto 1: passed 3:2 cadence in 1080i, but exhibited tearing/combing on scrolling text overlay;
* Auto 2: failed 3:2 cadence in 1080i, but no tearing/combing on scrolling texts.

Needless to say, [Film Mode] should be set to "Auto 2" for SD viewing.

Now, before you start salivating at the prospect of forever eradicating moir, line twitter and jaggies from your TV screen, please remember that the Samsung LA40B650's excellent result in film mode deinterlacing was achieved in test patterns. There exist quite a number of tricky, poorly flagged real-world material that can even make a fool of expensive dedicated video processors. One such notorious test scene is found in the PAL DVD of Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason. The Samsung LA40B650 didn't manage to remove the moir from the red Coca Cola sign saying "Go Bridget Go", but then again not many HDTVs (or external video processors for that matter) do.

Pros

* Deepest blacks among non-LED-powered LCDs to date
* Impressive standard-def video processing
* "Custom" [100Hz Motion Plus] setting allows for blur reduction independent from dejudder processing
* Extensive networking and playback versatility (Internet@TV, Media Play, DLNA, etc.)

Cons

* Sluggish loading/navigation of Internet@TV
* Input lag may affect sensitive gamers

Summary

It would be easy to mistake the Samsung LA40B650 as just simply an aesthetic update to the A656 series, but it's so much more than that. There are at least 3 distinct areas of improvement:

* Using the "Custom" setting, you can activate [100Hz Motion Plus] for film-based content without causing films to look like amateur videos;
* You can now adjust picture settings in [Game Mode]; and
* You can play MKV (and other) video files via [Media Play], or access selected online content using the LCD's "Internet@TV" function.

Even though "Internet@TV" loads and navigates a bit too slowly for regular use, in the grand scheme of things this is just a small first-generation hiccup which should not detract from Samsung's admirable attempt to take their TVs to the next level by adding PC-like functions. The Samsung LA40B650 even powers up and shuts off with a Windows-esque chime, though fortunately this can be disabled.
spec_40B650.jpg

Sure, some other HDTVs are slimmer, and LED-backlit LCDs are blacker, but they probably come with higher price tags too not such a good thing in the current economic climate. When excellent blacks, impressive SD handling, practical 100Hz motion, generous connectivity, and versatile PC-like functions are squeezed into a package costing less than Rs 70000, it's hard not to regard the Samsung LA40B650 LCD HDTV as a terrific value-for-money buy.

Samsung LE40B650 Review: 40" 1080p 100Hz LCD Internet TV

SUPPORTED FORMATS ARE :-
112857d1238185256-samsungs-2009-lineup-img_6_12_1.jpg

112858d1238185256-samsungs-2009-lineup-img_6_12_2.jpg

112859d1238185256-samsungs-2009-lineup-img_6_12_3.jpg

DETAILED USER MANUAL FOR LAB650 : -->http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=in&CttFileID=2210207&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=LA40B650T1R&VPath=UM/200903/20090328165152203/BN68-02017A-01Eng-0318.pdf

Last edited:
Looks impressive.

Is it available in India i.e. did anyone found this available in stores and tried hands on this?

You quoted 70K. Where are we getting this price?

Looks impressive.

Is it available in India i.e. did anyone found this available in stores and tried hands on this?

You quoted 70K. Where are we getting this price?

I brought it last week for Rs 68,000 (MRP is 90000 on BOX). Free installation.....

Its a superb innovation. This was my third LCD after LG, and Sony..

No LCD i have seen is near it. Picture quality on DTH signal is just amazing unlike sony. (yes if you would experience samsung b650 you would forget sony)

I brought it last week for Rs 68,000 (MRP is 90000 on BOX). Free installation.....

No LCD i have seen is near it. Picture quality on DTH signal is just amazing unlike sony. (yes if you would experience samsung b650 you would forget sony)

It depends which Sony models you are comparing with?;):)

well if u want to compare the B650 to a sony model u will need to compare it with W550A series ,the sony W550A series has superior 100hz motion tech,its bravia engine 3 also upscales slightly better then the DNIE engine found in samsung B650A.
u must have compared the B650A with sony V series which doesn't have the 100hz tech which the B650 has.
also there are plently of other tvs that are better like sony Z series and X series which are far superior,the best performance lcd is the sony X450A series .even samsung B750 series is superior to the B650 in motion resolution.

Which store did you buy this from. I tried multiple Samsung Brand Shops and Stores and could find it. also this price is great deal.

Any idea how much the 46" B650 is for?

Also, is the Sony W5500 available as yet in India in either 40" or 46"?

well if u want to compare the B650 to a sony model u will need to compare it with W550A series ,the sony W550A series has superior 100hz motion tech,its bravia engine 3 also upscales slightly better then the DNIE engine found in samsung B650A.
u must have compared the B650A with sony V series which doesn't have the 100hz tech which the B650 has.
also there are plently of other tvs that are better like sony Z series and X series which are far superior,the best performance lcd is the sony X450A series .even samsung B750 series is superior to the B650 in motion resolution.

Both have equally sucky image processing engines which fail 3:2 cadence detection in film mode. When a 2500 rupee geforce card can do it fine. I don't understand why these super expensive LCDs fail to do it properly.

So far the only TV that actually deinterlaces film mode correctly is the Kuro.

Both have equally sucky image processing engines which fail 3:2 cadence detection in film mode. When a 2500 rupee geforce card can do it fine. I don't understand why these super expensive LCDs fail to do it properly.

Please let us now more about this test, how it is done, what exactly it proves etc.

well the ones with BE2 failed but the ones with BE3 does significantly better,the X series has a BE2 pro engine which has the DRC-MFv3 which is still quite better then BE3.the DRC-MF series of image processing was always reserved for the best of the sonys,in crts it was reserved for the sony ubber expensive HR series last sold in 2006 had the V1 or version 1,it was still more expensive then a similar sized LCD.the latest version of the chip the V3 version is designed to upscale even the lowest 480i ,576i all the way upto 1080p native resolution,the v3 was designed to address the drawbacks of previous versions I to P conversion.this image processing chip is found only in the 46inch X450A upwards and expensive high end sony blu ray players.

yes the KURO had one good image processing,no body denies that.
toshiba also has the SRT or super resolution technology which again is quite good.

Last edited:
It depends which Sony models you are comparing with?;):)

Common..i am not just making a statement.. i tested for 7 days ...model were LG LH70 , Sony bravia 3 with 100 HZ and this samsung LAb650....

samsung was a clear winner in almost all dept.
Most striking features were :

1) Constrast Ratio: Black was never so black on any other LCD.
2) 100 HZ: Sony has 100 HZ...but in samsung we could really turn off or even manually control 100 HZ settings..was simply great....

3) Plays almost all types of formats (MOST IMPORTANT IT CA RECOGNIZE NTFS formated 500 GB hard disk, can play mkv, divx, mpeg1,2,3,4 ,avi etc etc.
i could not find a file which was not playable (except mkv with DTS audio) .

4) FULL playback controll with revind, forward etc etc on 2 USB ports.

5) wireless internet wigets are simply superb with yahoo, youtube, flickr, rss feeds, news , 3 online games

NOW SOMEONE TELL ME WHICH OTHER LCD IS GIVING ME ABOVE FEATURES EXCEPT B650 SAMSUNG??? THIS LCD IS A CLEAR WINNER!!!!!!

3) Plays almost all types of formats (MOST IMPORTANT IT CA RECOGNIZE NTFS formated 500 GB hard disk, can play mkv, divx, mpeg1,2,3,4 ,avi etc etc.
i could not find a file which was not playable (except mkv with DTS audio) .

4) FULL playback controll with revind, forward etc etc on 2 USB ports.

5) wireless internet wigets are simply superb with yahoo, youtube, flickr, rss feeds, news , 3 online games

And are you sure it can play NTFS HDD? Are you sure it an play MKV?
You mean the 400-500 MB ones or the 4.37GB+ HD stuff? MKV with AC3?

These seem to be amazing features!

Can it play 2.5" Laptop HDD without power adapter?

And are you sure it can play NTFS HDD? Are you sure it an play MKV?
You mean the 400-500 MB ones or the 4.37GB+ HD stuff? MKV with AC3?

These seem to be amazing features!

Can it play 2.5" Laptop HDD without power adapter?

HEY I FORGOT TO MENTION....YES play 2.5" Laptop HDD...BUT YOU HAVE TO SUPPLY POWER EXTERNALY...I TRIED ALL THAT...

AND YES BOSS... NTFS 500 GB HARD DISK PLAYS LIKE BUTTER WITH BLUE RAY CONTENTS ON IT. I HAVE PERMANENTLY ATTACHED IT TO tV...

ONE MORE THING FRIEND. IT HAS BUILT IN 1 gb OF FLASH MEMORY ALSO....:)

I WOULD LIKE COMMENTS FROM ALL AS I AM KEEN TO KNOW WHICH LCD HAS ALL THESE FEATURES ALONG WITH AWSOME PICTURE QUALITY...:).......

Last edited:
HEY I FORGOT TO MENTION....YES play 2.5" Laptop HDD...BUT YOU HAVE TO SUPPLY POWER EXTERNALY...I TRIED ALL THAT...

AND YES BOSS... NTFS 500 GB HARD DISK PLAYS LIKE BUTTER WITH BLUE RAY CONTENTS ON IT. I HAVE PERMANENTLY ATTACHED IT TO tV...

ONE MORE THING FRIEND. IT HAS BUILD IN 200 MB OF FLASH MEMORY ALSO....:)

Can it output digital sound (coaxial/ optical) for AVR? Maybe too much to ask, but then it would have been very similar to a NMT player!

can it output digital sound (coaxial/ optical) for avr? Maybe too much to ask, but then it would have been very similar to a nmt player!

you would be glad to know...it has digital optical out, 4 hdmi ports, 2 component outputs, 2 audio video, 2 usb (with supports hard disks) , 1 rgb out

pip function to watch two channels (one analog, one digital) at a time.

True srs dolby surround sound, dnie, 100 hz motion flow, invisible touch screen front panel .............and many more features to rock you............menu to browse multimedia is simply amazing.....

AND PLEASE MIND..ALL THESE IN JUST RS 68,000 - PAISA WASOOL......AND 22 INCH LCD OF SAME MODEL IS 23000 ONLY

you would be glad to know...it has digital optical out, 4 hdmi ports, 2 component outputs, 2 audio video, 2 usb (with supports hard disks) , 1 rgb out

pip function to watch two channels (one analog, one digital) at a time.

True srs dolby surround sound, dnie, 100 hz motion flow, invisible touch screen front panel .............and many more features to rock you............menu to browse multimedia is simply amazing.....

AND PLEASE MIND..ALL THESE IN JUST RS 68,000 - PAISA WASOOL......AND 22 INCH LCD OF SAME MODEL IS 23000 ONLY

This is too good... Why don't the advertise these strong points??

Then you should be able to output the DTS audio from MKV and play sound through your AVR? Where is your problem?

this is too good... Why don't the advertise these strong points??

Then you should be able to output the dts audio from mkv and play sound through your avr? Where is your problem?

no. It just cannot recognise dts codec. Gives error. "unknown codec" may be some firmware update will fix. Problem is in india hey release firmware very late.

Currently i have 1004 but in uk current firmware is 1010.1....

This lcd just released this month in india. i cannot find a single owner in india hence started this thread to find some freinds and their opinions :)
FOR AUDIO..SOLUTION IS SIMPLE...USE POPCORN AUDIO CONVERTOR..TAKES JUST 15 MIN TO CONVERT AUDIO

Last edited:
no. It just cannot recognise dts codec. Gives error. "unknown codec" may be some firmware update will fix. Problem is in india hey release firmware very late.

Currently i have 1004 but in uk current firmware is 1010.1....

This lcd just released this month in india. i cannot find a single owner in india hence started this thread to find some freinds and their opinions :)
FOR AUDIO..SOLUTION IS SIMPLE...USE POPCORN AUDIO CONVERTOR..TAKES JUST 15 MIN TO CONVERT AUDIO

Can't you change digital audio output setting, to output raw DTS to AVR?

Can user upgrade firmware? Is it through USB drive? If yes, can't you download & upgrade?

So do you enjoy AC3 sound through your AVR?

Last edited:
Can user upgrade firmware? Is it through USB drive? If yes, can't you download & upgrade?

So do you enjoy AC3 sound through your AVR?

ac3 is supported and can be played. Yes one can very very easily download latest firmware and upgrade that fixes many problems. i brought it this month and already upgraded firmware.

(glad that someone told me that samsung post new firmware every two months)

Please also reply on the digital output setting as edited in my previous post....
And can't you update to UK version?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back