Samsung QN90A ,QN85A owners thread

Why do these things happen like clockwork with Samsung products?
Their packaging is horrible. There is no thermocol to cover the screen. Only the top and bottom is covered. The stand also is positioned in box in such a way that its almost touching the screen and any pressure on that part will push the stand in the screen.

Now Reliance doesnt have stock in Mumbai. They are saying they will order from Pune which will take another 6 to 7 days .

Their packaging is horrible. There is no thermocol to cover the screen. Only the top and bottom is covered. The stand also is positioned in box in such a way that its almost touching the screen and any pressure on that part will push the stand in the screen.

Now Reliance doesnt have stock in Mumbai. They are saying they will order from Pune which will take another 6 to 7 days .
This has become like a never ending saga/ an ordeal, i sincerely hope, wish n pray that this time it really works out for you ...Hang in there matey :)

Hi all.

Reading this thread having just bought a QN90A with an ADS panel.

Don't be put off by poor measurements made in a lab with light meters etc .

I didn't realise mine was ADS for a month.

I came from a Q80T and my new Neo trounces it.

I also have an Oled B9 which I use in a darker room but don't game on it, and it's not bright enough during the day.

The QN90A ADS is less bright than the VA version.... and has lower contrast ratios, but it's SOoooooh bright ... 2 to 3x brighter than the Q80T... that you simply don't notice it in real world viewing.

I have never had to use contrast enhancer yet .... and that includes running COD ME Remastered night scenes !

The advantage of the ADS panel is simple.... NO rainbow reflections....... These are horrid...and put me off the Sony 900h (?) last year.

So just get one. It is still better than any of last years T models and unless your using it in a pitch black room ... you will not notice the reduced contrast levels.

Don't forget that contrast ratios in tge lab are measured at 100 lumens .... not many games or movies are that dark for long. Usually you have bright highlights, which are so bright on this TV .. over 1500 nits even in HDR ... that it makes the dark areas appear darker than they probably are.

So unless everything you view consists of muddy dark scenes, or spend your time watching HDR demo test slides, you don't need to worry. The "number" do not do it justice.

Also, the DSE on my new Neo is 10x better than on the Q80T. If I were to swap mine for a QN94 or 95 with a VA, I may get more brightness... which I don't need, or more contrast... which I wouldn't notice.. but, it may have worse DSE... AND, it WILL have rainbow reflections, which might drive me insane !

I'm keeping mine.

....as I say... this is coming from someone who has an Oled as well !

This has become like a never ending saga/ an ordeal, i sincerely hope, wish n pray that this time it really works out for you ...Hang in there matey :)
@Jayaesh1 Thanks mate :)

Hii everyone! Got my 55 inch QN90A yesterday and got it installed. Thank God there was no visible damage this time. Screen is also good.
Haven't checked for dead pixels closely.

The picture is really good. The black level is also surprisingly good. The viewing angles are much better than the 50 inch VA panel as the 50 inch did not have the ultra viewing layer.

Slight blooming and off axis IPS glow is there but since I am upgrading from 2018 NU7470 edge lit model, its much better in that department. When viewed staight on there is no issue with the light on.

With this Panel its always good to have a bias light or some light in room. Its not for a pitch dark room. I am not missing the 50 inch VA anymore as the viewing angle is really good. In the 50 inch model, the contrast was slightly better but when viewed off center the quality degraded immediately.

Hi all.

Reading this thread having just bought a QN90A with an ADS panel.

Don't be put off by poor measurements made in a lab with light meters etc .

I didn't realise mine was ADS for a month.

I came from a Q80T and my new Neo trounces it.

I also have an Oled B9 which I use in a darker room but don't game on it, and it's not bright enough during the day.

The QN90A ADS is less bright than the VA version.... and has lower contrast ratios, but it's SOoooooh bright ... 2 to 3x brighter than the Q80T... that you simply don't notice it in real world viewing.

I have never had to use contrast enhancer yet .... and that includes running COD ME Remastered night scenes !

The advantage of the ADS panel is simple.... NO rainbow reflections....... These are horrid...and put me off the Sony 900h (?) last year.

So just get one. It is still better than any of last years T models and unless your using it in a pitch black room ... you will not notice the reduced contrast levels.

Don't forget that contrast ratios in tge lab are measured at 100 lumens .... not many games or movies are that dark for long. Usually you have bright highlights, which are so bright on this TV .. over 1500 nits even in HDR ... that it makes the dark areas appear darker than they probably are.

So unless everything you view consists of muddy dark scenes, or spend your time watching HDR demo test slides, you don't need to worry. The "number" do not do it justice.

Also, the DSE on my new Neo is 10x better than on the Q80T. If I were to swap mine for a QN94 or 95 with a VA, I may get more brightness... which I don't need, or more contrast... which I wouldn't notice.. but, it may have worse DSE... AND, it WILL have rainbow reflections, which might drive me insane !

I'm keeping mine.

....as I say... this is coming from someone who has an Oled as well !
I agree with you. But from what I read about brightness on the AVS forum is that since the ADS does not have any additional layer like the Ultra viewing layer on VA panel, its slightly brighter than the VA panel.

I have one doubt regarding settings. I noticed that when in Standard mode, the Local dimming setting remains the same whether standard or high and only decreases on low. The contrast enhancer can be adjusted.

Whereas on Movie mode, the contrast enhancer option is disabled and is off and the local dimming can gradually be changed from low to standard to high.

Is this supposed to happen like standard and High setting to remain the same on Standard mode?

i am connecting all my devices through Denon X6700H.
i could not get denon menu display on tv.
when i connect fire tv i could see the denon menu.
cab someone guide .
thanks.

i am connecting all my devices through Denon X6700H.
i could not get denon menu display on tv.
when i connect fire tv i could see the denon menu.
cab someone guide .
thanks.
By design, the AVR Menu will appear on TV when the Media source is connected to AVR Input directly. That's why you can see the AVR menu on TV when FireStick is connected to AVR via HDMI input, not via TV, since TV is connected to AVR via eARC.

Yes, you are right, not looking for problems, but since i have only 1 week to check from Reliance, I am trying to see if everything is ok. Won't go deeper looking for issues.

@Jayaesh1 Thanks mate :)

Hii everyone! Got my 55 inch QN90A yesterday and got it installed. Thank God there was no visible damage this time. Screen is also good.
Haven't checked for dead pixels closely.

The picture is really good. The black level is also surprisingly good. The viewing angles are much better than the 50 inch VA panel as the 50 inch did not have the ultra viewing layer.

Slight blooming and off axis IPS glow is there but since I am upgrading from 2018 NU7470 edge lit model, its much better in that department. When viewed staight on there is no issue with the light on.

With this Panel its always good to have a bias light or some light in room. Its not for a pitch dark room. I am not missing the 50 inch VA anymore as the viewing angle is really good. In the 50 inch model, the contrast was slightly better but when viewed off center the quality degraded immediately.
Great to hear that your latest 55" has no physical damages or any outstanding issu. I am also really glad that you are liking this n find It an upgrade over the 50" !!!

I have one doubt regarding settings. I noticed that when in Standard mode, the Local dimming setting remains the same whether standard or high and only decreases on low. The contrast enhancer can be adjusted.

Whereas on Movie mode, the contrast enhancer option is disabled and is off and the local dimming can gradually be changed from low to standard to high.

Is this supposed to happen like standard and High setting to remain the same on Standard mode?
Atleast till the 1805 firmware update all Samsung Neo QLED range TVs whether VA or ADS has no visible or discerning difference between the high n standard setting(HDR+SDR) , so what you are experiencing is perfectly normal n par for the course.

Even I was similarly confounded when I was fiddling through the settings for the first time... Another thing with Contrast Enhancer in standard n natural picture mode is that CE does very little in low n too much in high !!! There should have been a medium option but since I am a sucker for bold, flashy colours or what purist refer to as inaccurate I am both happy or atleast at peace with CE being at high. For HDR it is advised that your CE should always be at high .

BTW I am yet to download the latest 1901 firmware update ...

sunday i got my 85QN90A delivered after 1.5 month. very bright. just exploring.
can you suggest viewing settings.
thanks.
You will have to be more specific , most of us owners on this forum are 50 , 55 n 65 " size owners. The QN90A 85" is a different beast altogether hence you might be better served visiting the QN90A AVS forum...

Atleast till the 1805 firmware update all Samsung Neo QLED range TVs whether VA or ADS has no visible or discerning difference between the high n standard setting(HDR+SDR) , so what you are experiencing is perfectly normal n par for the course.

Even I was similarly confounded when I was fiddling through the settings for the first time... Another thing with Contrast Enhancer in standard n natural picture mode is that CE does very little in low n too much in high !!! There should have been a medium option but since I am a sucker for bold, flashy colours or what purist refer to as inaccurate I am both happy or atleast at peace with CE being at high. For HDR it is advised that your CE should always be at high .

BTW I am yet to download the latest 1901 firmware update ...

Thanks for clearing the doubt about the local dimming. I thought it was a issue.

Yes I prefer high CE also.

Oh, I didnt know new firmware was available in India. Please post if you see any changes once you download.

Today I noticed that the netflix app is updated and now I am getting bitrate of 18.44 Mbps in The Crown and better HDR experience too.

Until yesterday it was only 15.25 Mbps. Haven't checked other shows yet. I dont know is this is because of the new AV1 codec that they were planning to use.

In lg's website it says coming soon. Maybe 2022 release. It's kinda like nano cell technology(lg's quantum dot) in a VA panel with mini LED replacing FALD LED. Many issues with LCD technology is addressed here.
I now see the "Coming Soon" has disappeared from the website. We might see this launching soon!

Appears to be a pretty decent alternative to the Samsung QN90A.

The 50 inch QN90A with the VA panel is back in stock now on Samsung website :eek:. The customer care and service head had told me it was discontinued :mad:. But I am glad I bought the 55 inch one with ADS panel.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back