Samsung QN90A ,QN85A owners thread

Samsung India are cheats period and it’s high time people realise it. I bash them given the chance in every threads with a hope that at-least one potential buyer sees my comment and backs of rather then being in your situation. My brother also cheated recently with a faulty qled tv.
What else you can expect from a company that's corrupt top to bottom.
Last I heard, their chairman is languishing in jail.

Its good that you are filing a case. I had the faulty 50 inch for few days. It had a VA panel so blacks were good but side viewing affected the colours and vibrancy. When watching HDR content in low light i could still see some blooming around subtitles but it was minimal and mostly when viewed from an angle.

Its good that sony provided you with a demo. Was that provided from the dealer end or sony?

How is the side viewing like at an angle of 30 degrees approx? This TV will be in my bedroom and I will be at a distance of 3 to 4 feet. Is the blooming more noticeable in HDR at an angle?

I am sorry to be asking so many questions since in the store its in a bright environment and all looks good and I highly doubt samsung would give me a demo.
It was not Sony India but the local Sony dealer who very generously offered me the home demo. The viewing angle on the Sony X90J was not great as it was a VA panel with no wide angle film applied like it has on the X95J. The viewing angle on the QN90A is pretty good as expected from an ADS panel.

While Falds from Sony, LG, Chinese do struggle with blooming especially subtitles in HDR content but Samsung since the inception of the Q series has developed an algorithm that prioritises blooming serpression , maintaining black bars at the expanse of shadow details/ black crushing. Mini LED tech I believe has helped in creating a better balance between the two.

Any LED TV when viewed from off axis in a dark room will always bloom to an extent however when viewed from centre/ head on it is a non issue. In your future correspondence with Samsung please insist on them giving you a free home demo so you can see n judge it for yourself.

LG is coming out with its QNED VA panels shortly which will instantly become a success as it addresses the points mentioned above about blooming or wide angle viewing. So watch out for this in the months to come. And I am not a fanboy of LG. Just that they are good at marketing (getting to understand their consumers needs better) as against sales(just trying to sell).

It was not Sony India but the local Sony dealer who very generously offered me the home demo. The viewing angle on the Sony X90J was not great as it was a VA panel with no wide angle film applied like it has on the X95J. The viewing angle on the QN90A is pretty good as expected from an ADS panel.

While Falds from Sony, LG, Chinese do struggle with blooming especially subtitles in HDR content but Samsung since the inception of the Q series has developed an algorithm that prioritises blooming serpression , maintaining black bars at the expanse of shadow details/ black crushing. Mini LED tech I believe has helped in creating a better balance between the two.

Any LED TV when viewed from off axis in a dark room will always bloom to an extent however when viewed from centre/ head on it is a non issue. In your future correspondence with Samsung please insist on them giving you a free home demo so you can see n judge it for yourself.
Ok thanks for the info. I will check with the dealer if they can offer a demo.

Yesterday i watched a Latin American review video on youtube for QN90A. They also have the ADS panel version. Can you please check from 7 min onwards whether the blooming is as shown in the video?

I will be watching at night in dim environment but not totally dark.

That's more than blooming or colour bleeding. That looks like vignetting. Like a prisoner trying to escape from Alcatraz and the tower flash hits him. :)

Yesterday i watched a Latin American review video on youtube for QN90A. They also have the ADS panel version. Can you please check from 7 min onwards whether the blooming is as shown in the video?

Well, there is no getaway from blooming with an LCD-based display. It is what it is. Some will suppress better than others. In my experience with Samsung QLED, with some dim room lighting, the effect of blooming is pretty minimal. It shouldn't affect your viewing experience except for those complete dark scenes with subtitles. Blooming is primarily dependent on the local dimming algorithm rather than the Panel type.

Well, there is no getaway from blooming with an LCD-based display. It is what it is. Some will suppress better than others. In my experience with Samsung QLED, with some dim room lighting, the effect of blooming is pretty minimal. It shouldn't affect your viewing experience except for those complete dark scenes with subtitles. Blooming is primarily dependent on the local dimming algorithm rather than the Panel type.
Yes thats true. Since i had the VA panel one for few days, i was ok with the small amount of blooming off angle, otherwise it was perfect.

To find out more about ADS panel, i saw this video and seems it has quite awful blooming. He is in a quite dark room, but still.
Thanks for your inputs!

No the blooming is not evenly remotely as bad as seen in the video, the same youtuber Andy in his later videos seems very impressed with the black room performance n blooming control , he even speculates that the VA version might not be any different.

BOE ADS panel have native contrast of 2000:1 while the VA version due to ultra viewing angle is about 3600:1 so if one makes a simplistic assumption then the VA version will have 1.6 times better blooming n contrast but this is a not a significant difference and cannot be ascertained in real world usage. I was fortunate enough to compare my QN90A with the Sony X90J (VA,6000:1 ratio) side by side n Samsung clearly had better blacks n blooming control.

As @OM_2K19 says that blooming is inherent to LED tech irrespective of the panel used. Samsung Algorithm combined with Mini LED + 600 dimming zones helps immensely with black level. Despite there crappy customer service the Samsung flagships remain the best LED out there.

Samsung India as things stand are not offering you a refund ( No 50 "in the stock either) and instead you have a Samsung coupon which I believe comes with an short expiry date so your options are rather limited. You could perhaps consider last year's Q90T (VA panel but no mini LED n limited dimming zones) or this year's QN85A n save some money in the process without losing much on PQ. Look if your Samsung coupon had a year long validy then I would have advised you to wait for next year's model.

The TV Findr site https://www.tvfindr.com/samsung-qn85a-vs-q80t/ and the Colombian Youtuber Andy refrenced earlier mentioned it
I will trust RTINGS over these guys. And here is their qn85a review, same ADS panel as qn90a.

The reason i did not quote rtings qn90a review is because qn90a is a mixed bag, the variant rtings got had a VA panel, but qn85a is confirmed ADS panel across the globe.

The TV Findr site https://www.tvfindr.com/samsung-qn85a-vs-q80t/ and the Colombian Youtuber Andy refrenced earlier mentioned it
The link you quoted is a spec comparison site, which I don't deem as credible source.

Do you have a source that actually measures the native contrast, and does not quote from somewhere shady? Because I have never seen an IPS type panel measure over 1500:1 native contrast, and I just don't believe it.

If someone could do 2000:1 with an IPS panel, that would be game-changing and we'd definitely hear more about it.

No the blooming is not evenly remotely as bad as seen in the video, the same youtuber Andy in his later videos seems very impressed with the black room performance n blooming control , he even speculates that the VA version might not be any different.

BOE ADS panel have native contrast of 2000:1 while the VA version due to ultra viewing angle is about 3600:1 so if one makes a simplistic assumption then the VA version will have 1.6 times better blooming n contrast but this is a not a significant difference and cannot be ascertained in real world usage. I was fortunate enough to compare my QN90A with the Sony X90J (VA,6000:1 ratio) side by side n Samsung clearly had better blacks n blooming control.

As @OM_2K19 says that blooming is inherent to LED tech irrespective of the panel used. Samsung Algorithm combined with Mini LED + 600 dimming zones helps immensely with black level. Despite there crappy customer service the Samsung flagships remain the best LED out there.

Samsung India as things stand are not offering you a refund ( No 50 "in the stock either) and instead you have a Samsung coupon which I believe comes with an short expiry date so your options are rather limited. You could perhaps consider last year's Q90T (VA panel but no mini LED n limited dimming zones) or this year's QN85A n save some money in the process without losing much on PQ. Look if your Samsung coupon had a year long validy then I would have advised you to wait for next year's model.
Hi, thanks for your inputs. Yes I do expect some blooming and IPS glow since its the limitation of the technology.

I had complained to the Samsung service head again, he called next day again saying he can't do anything now. I asked him if required, can this coupon be extended. He said drop an email to his id directly and he can do something but he cannot extend it too long.

I then complained to the store Kohinoor electronics and said I have paid you and I want the refund from you. Samsung is not co operating. He said he will speak to some other service head and get back to me on Monday.

I saw LG C1 55 inch in the store and it looked good. If Samsung provides refund then can think about it otherwise 55inch QN90A. They had stopped 3 year warranty after 10th November but now the store people said the offer is back.

Last edited:
If Samsung provides refund then can think about it otherwise 55inch QN90A.
I am afraid they will offer a refund, and you will be left with the Coupon. Most electronics companies take a similar approach here. Ask the Samsung representative to give you a discount on the next model you plan to purchase by redeeming the Coupon. If you are persuasive enough, they will do it.

I saw LG C1 55 inch in the store and it looked good. If Samsung provides refund then can think about it otherwise 55inch QN90A. They had stopped 3 year warranty after 10th November but now the store people said the offer is back.
IMO the best outcome will be getting a 55 inchQN90A. I am pretty certain you are not going to get a refund. Better negotiate a good deal on the QN90A 55 inch. If you again get a defective one then you can straight away raise a refund request this time. And if you get a good panel win win for you. Either your team Oled or qled and in your case since you finalised on 50inch QN90A I assume you are on team qled.

LG is coming out with its QNED VA panels shortly which will instantly become a success as it addresses the points mentioned above about blooming or wide angle viewing. So watch out for this in the months to come. And I am not a fanboy of LG. Just that they are good at marketing (getting to understand their consumers needs better) as against sales(just trying to sell).
Any idea when this QNED range will be available? I do need a TV badly, but I would rather hold on for a few months if a new tech is going to be coming soon.

The link you quoted is a spec comparison site, which I don't deem as credible source.

Do you have a source that actually measures the native contrast, and does not quote from somewhere shady? Because I have never seen an IPS type panel measure over 1500:1 native contrast, and I just don't believe it.

If someone could do 2000:1 with an IPS panel, that would be game-changing and we'd definitely hear more about it.
Firstly I don't think there is much difference numerically between 1500:1 n 2000:1 anyways. Neither do I know or even claim to know which website is supposed to be credible or not.

All i know is that is the QN90A ADS performed better or atleast on par with a Sony X90J (VA panel).It is not just the Samsung QN90A but I have similarly come across multiple LG QNED 4K/8K owners saying that there QNEDs(IPS) had better blacks than many typical VA panels.

Maybe the combination of Mini LED + multiple dimming zones + dimming algorithm makes an IPS/ADS panel perform better than a typical 6000:1 VA panel. Seeing is believing right.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back