Saw the LG50PK550 and was disappointed

deepakvrao

Looked a bit washed out compared to adjacent LCDs [I know that thats the way Plasma looks besides LCDS but still], though the colours did look more 'natural'.

However my question is - the SD dish [Airtel] that was being played was so crappy looking, is it that HD TVs will look good only with HD content? Otherwise it would seem to almost magnify the poor quality of regular TV and looks actually worse at 50" compared to say 32".

If so, why do people buy the big screen? Is it almost always that they are playing Blueray content?

I'm a newbie here so really would like some help. Looking for a TV for my Dad, but he watches Tata Sky mostly and occasional DVDs, so would it be a mistake to go for a 50"?

tata sky looks very good on a 29" incher crt - that's the largest TV I have at home. It's not a bad option if SD content is what you want to watch.
I liked tata sky on my 720 projector too somehow. Thinking of getting it back on proj for the football world cup, to host some get togethers around the matches.

Last edited:
Looked a bit washed out compared to adjacent LCDs [I know that thats the way Plasma looks besides LCDS but still], though the colours did look more 'natural'.

However my question is - the SD dish [Airtel] that was being played was so crappy looking, is it that HD TVs will look good only with HD content? Otherwise it would seem to almost magnify the poor quality of regular TV and looks actually worse at 50" compared to say 32".

If so, why do people buy the big screen? Is it almost always that they are playing Blueray content?

I'm a newbie here so really would like some help. Looking for a TV for my Dad, but he watches Tata Sky mostly and occasional DVDs, so would it be a mistake to go for a 50"?

If your primary moto is watching SD content (DTH) only for coming years, I will suggest to go for big size branded CRT which are available at 1/3 price of LCDs. They still prove VFM next 5 years if you stick to non-HD DTH. If you are really intrested at bigger size, check out 34 inch videocon at vijay sales for 9K. Quality is average.

Hi Doc,
Welcome here ;-). You might be thinking who am I.;-)
About watching SD contents over a 50 inch is not a great idea. Mostly due the size and the SD resolution and they just don't gel well together. You'll get used to it after a few days for sure and some channels looks better than others. It looks slightly better with upscaled version and looks good if you can get HD DTH.
In a showroom the LCD's look better(or I should say brighter and sharper) than a plasma and that mostly due the bright lighting environment. I won't comment on the CRT's as I don't find them to be that great anyway at whatever size. Too bulky and too old. Yes, the SD pics will look slightly better due to smaller screen and lower native resolution( I might be wrong with the exact assumption but that's what I feel)
Regards,

PS: I somehow felt that the SD signals looks worse on the showrooms, might be because they split the signal to all the TV's and use longer cheap cables to run from the STB.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

So, Konfused., who are you? :)

Ok, I get the idea - you need HD input, so am looking for a HD DTH. Zeroed on Sun and Reliance but Sun does not have a recorder which I think my Dad would love, so its gonna be Reliance in spite of all the bad reviews of poor customer service.

For DVDs, any suggestion for a region free upscaling player?

Hey Doc, am an old friend from another hobby which you kind of abandoned now. ;-) You know me quite well.
Can't help you much regarding the HD DTH recorder. But please bear in mind that only few channels are HD channels and most others are normal definition channels. So decide based on what you want to watch.
For good upscalling DVD player look for a Pioneer model. Myself using a Pioneer 600AV, older model They are really good. But if you want better have look at a Blu-ray player so that you can have best of the both worlds at the same cost. Sony S370 is a good budget player (you can get for 9790Rs with 2 BD's and HDMI cable and region free for DVD playback, region locked for region C for Blu-ray). Also it can upscale the DVD input. If you want to spend a bit more (well knowing you I think you can and will )then try for an Oppo.
Hope this helps.
Regards,

Thanks.

So how easy is it to get blue ray content? Guess I'll try a search, but anyway want to increase my post count to get over this moderation thingie.

'I' watch maybe 4 hours of TV a year. This is for my dad so need stuff thats easy to access etc.

Nowadays it's quite easy to get Blu-ray contents in India, but little bit on the costlier side compared to US/UK.
As for the player, Oppo definitely outshines any other player but will cost you a lot more to get it down here. I got mine through a friend luckily.
But for it's price I think Sony S370 really do the justice for the price vs value meter. It does upscale your DVD's too. I watched Behind Enemy Lines DVD few days back on my friend's Sony s370 player and the upscalling looks good enough to my eyes. Other players that also you can have a look are by Philips(BDP 3000) or LG(BD370) for similar price point. And if you want spend a bit more then you can try Panasonic players. But i feel for your purpose you can just go ahead with the Sony.

Well Panasonic is offering a region free BD player in India, at least that's what a Panasonic guy told me... do check out with the dealers prior making a buy. That way you can pick up Region A BDs when you or your friends may be visiting US... more VFM:eek:hyeah:

BDs are available at any Music world outlet...

The reason why a plasma looks slightly dull in a sales show room beside a LCD is because of the unnaturally bright lights there...
Under average viewing conditions the plasma will actually win...

If you plan on watching mostly movies on your Tv, do go ahead and buy a good plasma. SD usually always looks better on a Plasma under normal home viewing conditions..

Hope this helps:)

Thanks Konfused.

I think I'll go with your suggestion for the Sony.

Other hobby is not abandoned. Just sacked the whole stuff [well I have a CF tripod and ballhead left for sale], and got a lighter smaller SLR. Took lotsa photos on my last cycling trip.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back