Seating within throw distance

renegade

I am looking to buy the Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector.
Panasonic PT-AE4000U (Panasonic PTAE4000U) Panasonic Projectors

Ideally, I would like to go for a projection screen size of 120 inches with aspect ratio 16:9. Room size is 22ft x 14ft = 264 in x 168 in. From Panasonic site, for a 120" image, throw distance could be anywhere between min 142" to max 283".

If screen size D = 120", length of room L = 22ft = 264", then 2D is 2 feet less than L. Many sites say thumb rule and recommended throw distance is 2D. That means, the projector will be placed almost at the other end of the room. The room will looks like this:

Screen of size D -----------------------L/2------------------------Projector(2D)----L

My questions are:
1. I expect people to start sitting from half way through the room, L/2 < seating < L.
That is, nearest person to screen is at L/2 = 132" in from screen and farthest will be at L. Will the image appear too big (like front bench in movie theater) or cause any viewing discomfort since most people will be seated within the 2D (recommended throw distance) and well ahead of the projector? In general, any formula for recommended distance for seating based on screen size?

2. Screen gain: Should I got for screens with gain greater than 1 or lesser than 1?
My dilemma is the room has 3 windows. Even with window screens, I expect some amount of light in day time. That makes me think going for gain > 1.0 is better. But I read that if gain < 1 then you get better contrast. So its a trade off between brightness and contrast. Which one to go for? Can you comment from your experience?

Re-framing question to make it simpler:

1. What is the ideal minimum seating distance for a 120 inches image viewed on a 16:9 projection screen?

2. Is it better to go for screens with high contrast (screen gain < 1) or screens with high brightness (gain > 1) for HT viewing?

Room size is 22ft x 14ft. 3 windows (expecting some ambient light in day time even with window screens)
Projector is Panasonic AE 4000U.

your answers at Panasonic PT-AE4000U Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

1. Optimum seating is at 12'-19'.
Also various throw distances are discussed

2. You can change the Gain and check how it affects the settings for brightness.

Raghav

Re-framing question to make it simpler:

1. What is the ideal minimum seating distance for a 120 inches image viewed on a 16:9 projection screen?

2. Is it better to go for screens with high contrast (screen gain < 1) or screens with high brightness (gain > 1) for HT viewing?

Room size is 22ft x 14ft. 3 windows (expecting some ambient light in day time even with window screens)
Projector is Panasonic AE 4000U.

Thanks Raghav.

I had checked out the throw distances from the projector central site you mentioned. But I am not sure about how you calculated the seating distance to be 12-19' for 120" screen size. Can the recommended minimum seating distance be shorter than the throw distance?

hehe.. I have not calculated anything. If you go back and check the projector central calculator again, they give the optimum seating distance as well. It is mentioned above along calculator with the amount of ambient lighting.

I have just copy pasted their result.

Thanks Raghav.

I had checked out the throw distances from the projector central site you mentioned. But I am not sure about how you calculated the seating distance to be 12-19' for 120" screen size. Can the recommended minimum seating distance be shorter than the throw distance?

Thanks!! ... I realized I had missed spotting the seating distance spec in the calculator.

Slightly diverting from video now ...
In another thread, I read you got a Marantz 6004 from grey market for 45k in Mumbai!!

1. Is it still working in good condition (after close to 2 yrs now I guess)?

2. Do you know if it is available in Delhi with any authorized dealer? I read Reflex Pro Acoustics, Chennai is an auth. dealer of Marantz and has 6004.

I have a similar budget 300k for the entire HT set up and will give the individual breakdown in a new thread.

1. Marantz SR6004 was launched in September 2009. So I could not have had it for 2 years. This was bought in October and installed in November and has been running trouble free for 5 months. It is being used by my brother in Calcutta and he is happy with the unit.

2. Have no idea of Delhi market. Yes Refex Pro are the auth. dist. but their rate with bill and warranty will be much higher. Even in grey the rate was 48k when i checked in January.

300k is good budget for the equipment. Will check your new thread for break-up and equipment.

Thanks!! ... I realized I had missed spotting the seating distance spec in the calculator.

Slightly diverting from video now ...
In another thread, I read you got a Marantz 6004 from grey market for 45k in Mumbai!!

1. Is it still working in good condition (after close to 2 yrs now I guess)?

2. Do you know if it is available in Delhi with any authorized dealer? I read Reflex Pro Acoustics, Chennai is an auth. dealer of Marantz and has 6004.

I have a similar budget 300k for the entire HT set up and will give the individual breakdown in a new thread.

I think you should reduce your screen size a little though i must congratulate you for the good room length, though many can achieve such a room length or more if they have the opportunity in breaking the wall and related but this all depends upon the passion and desire to go nearer to a theatre experience that is a another story that smaller the room one will not be able to explore the power of projector towards bigger image.

In your case i think the seating should not be for more then 4 people or maximum to 5 people, otherwise it will be like big images running into your face and a higher stress to the neck, the classic example is that in a cinema hall the front row seats are least respected and sold at a cheaper rate.

Well 3 windows are just too much, please do consider to have them vanished, for the sake of a better home theatre. About the ambient light from the windows in day time, you can kill 2 birds with one stone, go for the acoustic curtains, they are thicker with some unique material and one side of the curtain is black colour so there is no question of light peeping in.

V.

I am looking to buy the Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector.
Panasonic PT-AE4000U (Panasonic PTAE4000U) Panasonic Projectors

Ideally, I would like to go for a projection screen size of 120 inches with aspect ratio 16:9. Room size is 22ft x 14ft = 264 in x 168 in. From Panasonic site, for a 120" image, throw distance could be anywhere between min 142" to max 283".

If screen size D = 120", length of room L = 22ft = 264", then 2D is 2 feet less than L. Many sites say thumb rule and recommended throw distance is 2D. That means, the projector will be placed almost at the other end of the room. The room will looks like this:

Screen of size D -----------------------L/2------------------------Projector(2D)----L

My questions are:
1. I expect people to start sitting from half way through the room, L/2 < seating < L.
That is, nearest person to screen is at L/2 = 132" in from screen and farthest will be at L. Will the image appear too big (like front bench in movie theater) or cause any viewing discomfort since most people will be seated within the 2D (recommended throw distance) and well ahead of the projector? In general, any formula for recommended distance for seating based on screen size?

2. Screen gain: Should I got for screens with gain greater than 1 or lesser than 1?
My dilemma is the room has 3 windows. Even with window screens, I expect some amount of light in day time. That makes me think going for gain > 1.0 is better. But I read that if gain < 1 then you get better contrast. So its a trade off between brightness and contrast. Which one to go for? Can you comment from your experience?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back