Sony Bravia HX850 Reviews

Is this Korean site? because overall he says he prefers the Samsung ES8000. From the samples barring the red tint the overall color of Samsung looks much more real compared to Sony(the grass and tree pic,boy with hat, Nicolas cage,Chinese man: if you notice his face in Samsung you see different variations of shades in the face of the Chinese man while on Sony it looks all same and yellowish).

From the pics of the wood logs Samsung ES8000 contrast looks mediocre and too bright but not sure if that is how it behaves in reality.

Is this Korean site? because overall he says he prefers the Samsung ES8000. From the samples barring the red tint the overall color of Samsung looks much more real compared to Sony(the grass and tree pic,boy with hat, Nicolas cage,Chinese man: if you notice his face in Samsung you see different variations of shades in the face of the Chinese man while on Sony it looks all same and yellowish).

From the pics of the wood logs Samsung ES8000 contrast looks mediocre and too bright but not sure if that is how it behaves in reality.

I do agree.
Too an extent, Samsung does win in color Accuracy.

In the objective scores of that review it appears Sony has the edge,offcourse samsung ES8000 is much brighter(or has the brightness potential).

But whats more interesting is to see the pixel structure,this once again confirms that Sony is using a different tech (which explains the viewing angle edge).In the Sony HX92x and HX85x the lcd panel has a Sony logo,where as the other models like the HX82x and HX75x,EX series have a S-LCD logo.

Also interesting is that both tvs use more power when displaying red,samsung consuming more in white is no surprise since its peak brightness is higher then the Sony,which means samsung has a more power hungry higher luminance LED emitters.

Hi, currently planning on purchasing the 46" HX 850. Totally sold with all the reviews and the price. I currently have the Samsung 32' D6000 and would have gone with samsung ES8000 but 30k Rs. seems too much off a cost upgrade. Also pretty sure that HX 850 destroys the same price range LED's like the Samsung ES6800. Are there any that I can consider in this range. Mainly looking for gaming/movies. Occassional 3D.

Also can the owners confirm that it has a good gaming performance i.e., minimal input lag after switching on game mode. My D6000 has it and I'm assuming it has a game mode which switches off all the processing, correct ? Also about the 3D, I have a lot of splitscreen content and I just used to press the 3D button to combine and start the 3D effect. Can I do the same thing on Sony TV too ? Completely clueless since I've had only samsung so far. These are the main concerns for me. Somebody please clarify. Thanks.

If 3D is important to you, then I suggest that you wait for a year. It is expected that Sony will also bring the universal RF based Active 3D. Glasses will be cheaper, lighter and compatible with other TVs as well (not that the last point matters too much).

Secondly, it would be wrong to compare HX850 with Samsung 6 series models. You should compare it with the 7 series where the specs are more matching (on paper at least). A comprehensive side by side demo would confirm reality. But I had seen 40HX850 in Croma and it impressed me very much (I was almost sold on 46" HX850 till I "settled" on 50ST50).

As far as gaming is concerned, I suggest that you should test it yourself. The "input lag" if any, may be interpreted differently by different people. Some may not find it worrying while others may be quite irked.

Agreed. Demo'd today and all seems fine to my eyes. Samsung ES6800 and Sony HX850 is similarly priced. SO Sony wins cause of Black levels. But Samsung ES7500 and LG LM7600 is priced much more than the HX850 so I think the value is good here. I've seen reviews where Sony is compared with ES8000 and LG LM 9xxx and they say that those are similarly priced. I guess Samsung and LG prices are more in India and I would go with the Sony considering the price point. There's a statement I thought I will never say. Sony is generally the costliest :D

Now considering the similarly priced ES6800 and LG LM6xxx I felt that Sony is better value and picture. Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Ok. Just go ahead. But what about gaming lag? I don't play games so I never bothered. Have a look at Panasonic 50ST50 also.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Don't really like Plasmas. The burn in and image retention might be fixed but I don't like the power consumption. Have also seen that they run hot and some have a low buzzing sound. Maybe you can educate me seeing that you have the ST50. Also the 50" seems too big for my 8 feet viewing distance. The 46" only seems so big but I'll settle for this size ;) I think the ST50 and such is not available in 46".

Am used to the Samsung D6000 so gaming lag will be adjustable I feel. The Sony is generally regarded as the better LCD TV's for gaming.

My viewing distance is 9~10 feet. Initially 50" seemed too big to me also. But body (eyes/brain) adjusts/adapts very quickly and then considers this as the standard. :p

My viewing distance is 6~7 feet at the most :D

Just pulled the trigger on the Sony. It will get delivered in the evening. Cannot wait to get off work and receive it at 7 PM. Getting 2 free 3D glasses. The big rechargeable 250 model glasses. Cost me 1,19,900/-. No cool free stuff and no extra discounts as is the Sony mantra :D

I think I'm one of those guys who ll never convert to Plasma's. You can call me ignorant but I dont mind the PQ of a LCD. Infact I dont even think I am settling for an LCD since I never had a Plasma and I never experienced that level of quality picture and motion. Sometimes its true that ignorance is bliss :D

If anyone is considering this just for 3D, consider again. The 3D is not the best out there especially with LG's passive, easy on the eye 3D. While demo-ing I did see some ghosting which can be corrected with a little picture calibration. But a small amount of crosstalk is indeed there. And the ever present "tilt head and no 3D". I knew all about it and it was fun when I told the store guys to see that too since they were saying this is best 3D and promptly following other sales tactics. When I showed him that he started saying that's a feature and if you fall asleep 3D will switch off automatically. I don't know who made this guy a doctor but he started saying the tilt headed 3D viewing is very dangerous to eyes and the "brain" so Sony switches it off. LMAO. I sometimes hope for atleast one store where knowledgeable people work.

Anyway let me end my rant. I considered this not for 3D as you can see from above but because of pure picture quality from a LED LCD TV. The blacks and colours were indeed great. I shall calibrate and give a better review when I receive the TV and use it for a bit.

Last edited:
Congrats. Sony is having a 3D package worth 20K, that includes PS3 slim, 2 3D glasses and some BD titles (4 I think). It is a worthwhile package.

You mentioned gaming. If you do not have PS3, then this is worth. PS3 slim on its own is worth 20k (MRP) and doubles up as a BD player. With a firmware update, it can play 3D BD's also.

As far as the comment "tilt head and no 3D", this is a little bad. Sometimes, I like to lie down on the couch sideways and watch TV. Of course, when wearing 3D glasses, this is not recommended, regardless whether 3D effect stays or not. But Sony's explanation is lame and trying to cover up an excuse. For example, Honda Civic (which I own) does not provide a cigarette lighter (socket exists). When I asked why, the salesman said, that Honda wants to discourage smoking. When I countered, "then why does it exist on the Accord?", he had no proper answer.

Haha good one. I think its not Sony's explanation but the lame store guy's. Maybe they know about it and are trying to fix it. Anyway as I see it the Sony 3D is still in Beta :D

Oh and I already own a top notch PC, PS3, 5+1 Energy Micro HT speakers, Yamaha RX671 AVR :)

The head tilt issue is with the Glasses and not the TV itself. You can get rid of the head tilt issue if you get the Sony Playstation 3D glasses or the new titanium BR750 3D glasses. Or even Xpand 3D glasses.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back