Speakers , Which one, Yet Another

I have no idea of any measurement but the Imaging was very good and Merlin speakers excelled in that department. I assume a different dispersion would have impacted that. I think it was on the outer/top corner...i anyway got a replacement and changed it.

Have you measured any difference ? Would be interesting to know

Anyway any visible damage cosmetic or otherwise should not be sold as new.

Arj

Have u ever heard the Merlin TSM And SCM 11 or SCM 19. ?

Do you mean together ? In that case no.

Among ATC's the 19 i have heard was the earlier iteration more than 12 years back ! after that only heard the ATC40. The ATCs also have a lovely bass very much like the merlins though..but I would suspect them having richer midrange hence vocals.

Last edited:
@sound_cycle As a user of Magnepan, I can assure you that there is ample bass in 1.7, that i use currently. It is a different kind off bass that you get compared to Dynamic speakers or sub woofers.You hear it not feel it. Even down to 35 hz you will hear it but see anything rattle.

I've figured out that I can get the space, I flipped my arrangement to play into the room instead of across the short side. I've established that my electronics will do okay. So how do I actually get hold of a pair of 1.7i's ?

Been trying to reach out to Audio Vision in Mumbai but they don't seem very responsive to mails :(

ciao
gr

I've figured out that I can get the space, I flipped my arrangement to play into the room instead of across the short side. I've established that my electronics will do okay. So how do I actually get hold of a pair of 1.7i's ?

Been trying to reach out to Audio Vision in Mumbai but they don't seem very responsive to mails :(

ciao
gr
I got lucky and picked up used as new ones were out of my budget. Maybe give them a call and see if they respond. This might seem like a rant, but seems most FM's outside of Mumbai have had similar experience as you. If you can take time off and come to Mumbai, I would love for you to experience it, even if my electronics are not Super Hi-Fi.

I got lucky and picked up used as new ones were out of my budget. Maybe give them a call and see if they respond. This might seem like a rant, but seems most FM's outside of Mumbai have had similar experience as you. If you can take time off and come to Mumbai, I would love for you to experience it, even if my electronics are not Super Hi-Fi.

I'm more a mail, or mail on phone person really but I did call and they were quite helpful. So that is step #1 in taking the proposed 1.7i acquisition forward. A auditionless leap with closed eyes ! (there was a pair fs on hfv, in Hyd! (2016) but that was when I was on an 40w pc integrated and contented)

Thanks very much, will see if I can work it out with you

ciao
gr

Came home to find a large wooden crate parked outside my door.

The Magnepan 1.7i ! Took me half an hour to try and find my claw hammer (I didn't) but eventually got them unpacked, feet screwed in and hooked up

Forget WAF, I barely approve of these myself.

Just got them singing. Where are the effing speakers, not 8 ft in front of me for sure.

Long way to get them burn in (get used to them, whichever), get them positioned correctly and then bring back the treatment, get Dirac setup etc.

This is just a quick post to say they are here. I think I will like these.

ciao
gr

Hyderabad is gonna have a party tonite!
Lol :0 Stayed up very late last night (till 0400 or so, good thing that I listen at rather low volumes) fiddling and adusting and listening, if I can stay awake another night in a row will definitely continue from where I left off last night (it is a particularly good time because the other inhabitants are travelling and there is no tutumaimai about the humongosity of these speakers or my wires being all over and the dishes piled up in the sink etc)

ciao
gr

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JbfX5H5wi3FJ2MVv9

Settled on this, for now. All provisional pending approval which will not be on sonic grounds. have to figure out the cable routing too (and the cables too for that matter)

I would have upto 6' behind the speakers (that's the wall, but the slab of glass is about a foot ahead of the wall) . about 6' between the tweeters (inboard), and ~ 9 feet to the red cushion which is the listening spot, about 30 deg toe in.

Got a nice solid phantom centre. Not too happy with the imaging, but there are other things to sort it. And I don't have any treatment on the walls only Saif approved Aspira !

You can see that I have problems with this into the arrangement. There is a windows behind the right and a door way directly behind and a passageway and another door behind the left.

And the wife has not yet seen. Or commented.

(I used to have everything 90 deg counterclockwise, the dish ka cable and the sockets are still where they used to be)

ciao
gr

Last edited:
As you are/were in the Sonodyne camp, have you heard the Avant T2 (or T1)?

I heard this speaker at the 2016 What Hi Fi show and asked myself if this was a speaker made by the same company that does the Sonus series cause I found the latter too bright. The Avant T2 was superb.

As you are/were in the Sonodyne camp, have you heard the Avant T2 (or T1)?

i owned the 2605 after reading a huge bit about them on hfv. The ones I had were a *** huge*** disappointment.

The company particularly their MD was very supportive and helpful, but it did not work out well, for me. After a replacement.

Did not make any attempt to find out more about their products after that.

And I am in no camp I am seriously into serial infidelity in hifi ;)

ciao
gr

i owned the 2605 after reading a huge bit about them on hfv. The ones I had were a *** huge*** disappointment.

Not surprised by your disappointment. The 2605 was just a bunch of drivers fixed to a big box. How come you bought one if you did not like the sound or was it something you realized later?

You really should listen to the Avant floor stander. There is no hint or sound signature remotely close to that of the 2605. As its price, there are very few floor standers that sound as good.

Not surprised by your disappointment. The 2605 was just a bunch of drivers fixed to a big box. How come you bought one if you did not like the sound or was it something you realized later?

That was when I was naiive, impressionable, clueless and foolish. My only audio purchases with my coin till then, were a Philips thingy and a Sony boombox, I had a rather clear idea of what I wanted to hear, but absolutely no clue as to how to go about realizing it. The 2605 were paid for, like almost all my audio purchases, without an audition (except then I did not realize the value of an audition)

My (with emphasis on the pronoun, there is no other party responsible) huge big glaring error was that I trusted a review (in the singular) without due diligence on my part.

Within the first few minute of hooking it up and playing them it was clear that it was a complete disaster, and that they were in reality a complete POS. Of course it took a little longer than that to figure out why, and how to remedy it.

That was in the long distant hazy past, way behind me, I had to speed re-read my threads to recollect some bits. And I laughed at myself.

Overall, you live and learn. I And I would like to think I learnt from that lesson and I am a little bit wiser about things audio. I have purchased lots of other stuff (including the Maggies!) which had to be "triangulated" from multiple trusted/ trustable sources but could not be auditioned since then, fortunately with no regrets or disappointments.

I will give the Avant f/s a hearing if I get a chance. I must confess though, that after this recent purchase, my interest in box speakers - which is all I had ever heard for half a century, till just two evenings ago - is currently not that high.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back