Speakers , Which one, Yet Another

Not to worry you got the only important bit there. Let me try again though

<safely ignore>
The showroom is in a very trafficky part of the city. The roof is low, there is a glass cabin within the audition room and a horrible tiled floor, a mirror on one side and noisy ac unit. It made my son remark that it was rather like being inside a microwave oven. I had with me some music on a USB drive and only one CD, Indian Ocean's Jhini. The first track on that is Bhor (which at one level is a a track about a bird that does not want to fly and gets high on honey - hence the catch the worm reference. Rimzim is I guess a magic mystery substance - referred to on the indian ocean website - that superlative cables or electronics apparently allow you to experience, as if you are at the event next to the performers. I was temporarily smitten with the Z7 and would have made an impulse buy if they had one on sale. Vague attempts at humor)
</safely ignore>

The space at vector is simply too constricted to really conclude anything. I liked the clarity on the Z7 but The big soundstage and nice lows I was expecting did not happen. I put it down to the room/ recording. Dheeraj makes an interesting point.

The only speakers in my price range (~50k) was the Heco Victa Prime 502, which I did not like. They can order the z3 (33k) or z5 (55k), but no auditions though

I will try and make sure I get an audition of the PSB and other speakers if possible. In Chennai where I will be for a couple of days the next week, Hyd seems pretty dry for audition possibilities from what I can make out. Any clues on where to find the PSB in either city would be much appreciated

BTW Is it true that standmounts would do better at soundstage/ imaging than a [similarly priced] fs ?

I also wonder how (in general) would a middle of one line fs (say a zensor 5) compare with a bs (say an ikon2) from the line above it.

ciao
gr

Check with our FM @agasthya14 - he should have some interesting options if you are in Chennai. He has a range of speaker options that you can give a shot.

Edit - didn't realise this was a very old post. Apologies!

I would just like to comment that If you do go for the Kef's, They would have to be on some stands to really get them going. Sticking it in a corner might not be the best thing for them. So regardless of BS or FS, They will demand floor space else they might not give you optimum performance.
Yes of course, no intention of sticking them in a corner. Apart from the audio considerations, I don't have a corner to stick the into !

ciao
gr

Check with our FM @agasthya14 - he should have some interesting options if you are in Chennai. He has a range of speaker options that you can give a shot.

Edit - didn't realise this was a very old post. Apologies!

No it is an old thread, true, but the question has to be asked again and so thanks for that lead.

ciao
gr

I have a pair of Piega Classic 3.O box, bill, warranty.

Went off to look for the "Technische Daten"
and found
Impedanz 4 Ohm
Frequenzgang 38 Hz - 40 kHz

with a corrugated tweeter.

Very interesting, added to my rather short list. Must ask black or white or ebony ?

Thanks

ciao
gr

No it is an old thread, true, but the question has to be asked again and so thanks for that lead.

ciao
gr
Good, that's a decision I thought was coming , because your previous 'Saga' started with idea of changing the speakers initially.

You should Take audition for Kef R900, Q Acoustics Concept 40 (available with a FM) , Klipsch Ref series (available with Venkat I think ) , B&W 683S2 (Vector systems, the exact number may be wrong), Dynaudio Floorstanders, Monitor Audio Gold (available @ AV people on a good discount) - most of them are in that range of budget...
For Kef LS50, you MUST drive with your pre/power combo before making the buying decision.

BTW I can't stand that, you'll have to be restricted to sound magic for music listening, My Boston Acoustics BA26 can be used by you until you get your new speakers. (the sense of urgency, due to lack of speakers to listen to, should not influence your buying decision IMHO)

So BA26 should be a stop gap arrangement before you audition all the contenders and decide on buying Tannoy XT8F ;);)(that's my favorite at the moment).

BTW I can't stand that, you'll have to be restricted to sound magic for music listening, My Boston Acoustics BA26 can be used by you until you get your new speakers. (the sense of urgency, due to lack of speakers to listen to, should not influence your buying decision IMHO)

So BA26 should be a stop gap arrangement before you audition all the contenders and decide on buying Tannoy XT8F ;);)(that's my favorite at the moment).

Thanks a huge pile :)

till hpz gets something done abt the gumby ...I am hopeful that Venkat will get something organized soon

hat's high praise fir the Tannoys! I must get a listen. Which was the model you have / had ?

Work travel the next few days, will get in touch.

Thanks again

ciao
gr

Hi

Was in Chennai recently.

And tried to get some speaker auditions. Thanks to @Kannan for some very useful leads.

I could not get a listen of the Tannoy Xtf8. There is one pair available for purchase however. The dealer also put me in touch with ProFX.

Heard the KEF LS50 and the R300. I went expecting to like like the LS50 more but I found that I preferred the R300 over the LS50. Bass, imaging and tone all seemed to be nicer on the R300. Yet I read that it is less resolving than the LS50. Anyway since my system spend is not for imaginary ownership rating boost points but my enjoyment if I buy KEF it would be the LS50. (source was a Denon CD-P, amplification Denon integrated which then became a pre- to a Electrocompaniet).

I went crazy out of budget and got in touch with the Mangnepan dealer in Mumbai. Sadly they dont have the MMG. They have the MG 1.7i, no audition sadly. I have not heard the Maggies, though I have read everyone like it. I fear that apart from budget my problem will be my room. I have only about 2 feet from the backwall and everyone seems to emphatically state that you need 3 feet or more. And I have a visiting dog. Maybe the magnepan listeners can comment and cement my Maggie despair :0

Any clues on getting a Tannoy XTF8 listen ?

ciao
gr

Dust will be your enemy if choosing Maggie 1.7i. And perhaps you'll find the bass reticent like many owners who end up reinforcing with Maggie's own bass panels or other subs. A powerful power amp that can handle the low impedance may also be necessitated. But when set up right it sounds magical. If not correctly set up image size can be bloated to unrealistic size.

Maggies do need space around them and that is the sole reason why I have still not bought the 1.7i... I would love to try them with my room correction amp with a sub but sadly no one I know of has Maggies in Delhi... If you can play around with the room correction softwares then it might make sense to use the Maggies with a sub..

Dust will be your enemy if choosing Maggie 1.7i. <snip>A powerful power amp that can handle the low impedance may also be necessitated. But when set up right it sounds magical.
Construction next door, dog, lack of a optimal room, budget are the negatives
I have an amp that will do 200W rms per channel at 4 ohms (100w into 8) stereo, so I guess I have that covered.
What you say about the magical is what I read everywhere.
I am sure if I hear ever a pair singing my ears and hear will take my wallet where it should not go

Maggies do need space around them and that is the sole reason why I have still not bought the 1.7i... I would love to try them with my room correction amp with a sub but sadly no one I know of has Maggies in Delhi. If you can play around with the room correction softwares then it might make sense to use the Maggies with a sub..

I have space around them. I don't have sufficient space behind them :( (I cannot pull them out into my multi-use livestening room)

I've read that they go low enough - and I am not into party mode or rock stuff IAC - and get drum tones really well. RC to hai hi, but planars are allegedly "room friendly". Have not heard any planars so far though.

ciao
gr

@sound_cycle As a user of Magnepan, I can assure you that there is ample bass in 1.7, that i use currently. It is a different kind off bass that you get compared to Dynamic speakers or sub woofers.You hear it not feel it. Even down to 35 hz you will hear it but see anything rattle. Like mentioned above, It does need a high wattage amplifier, at least 300 watts and up and that can handle 4 ohm speakers. I took a chance with The Crown XLS drive core amp, and hit the jackpot. Never heard so much bass and smooth mid range with the Arcam power amplifier i was using earlier. (140 watts X
4 ohms).
Where Maggie's excel is in the tonality of voices instruments and everything else. The open airy sound can be addictive no matter how much you crank up the volume. What you will realize is that they never get sound boxy or constrained in any which way you can imagine. No speaker box speaker I have ever heard has given me that realization. The Kef ls50 will sound a bit harsh when you compare it to the 1.7s.
You really have to experience it to hear the Magic. It seems it's the only word that comes to mind for most when you hear it:(.
I have placed them 3 feet from the rear wall and also tried 2 feet. It affects mostly the bass region . 3 feet will give amazing bass and depth , 2 feet will make them sound like smaller maggies. Not a day goes by when i don't listen to them. It is a sound you have to experience to see why people call them magical. (btw , i am still getting my room tweaked one by one as i am not a technical guy).

Where Maggie's excel is in the tonality of voices instruments and everything else. The open airy sound can be addictive no matter how much you crank up the volume. What you will realize is that they never get sound boxy or constrained in any which way you can imagine. No speaker box speaker I have ever heard has given me that realization. <snip>also tried 2 feet. It affects mostly the bass region . 3 feet will give amazing bass and depth , 2 feet will make them sound like smaller maggies. Not a day goes by when i don't listen to them. It is a sound you have to experience to see why people call them magical

:eek: That only pushes me over the edge ! Thanks I was wondering what would "give" if I had them only 2" from the back wall.

Thanks much.

ciao
gr

@sound_cycle i just shared few numbers, anyhow thanks for quoting. You are most welcome. Maybe next time we can meet up.
A friend today was stating the wireless KEF active speaker sounds brilliant. Was it the same one you auditioned.
Some years back I heard Maggie's in two setups.
One was a proper room and positioned as recommended and sounded pretty good, though I could not get to liking their tonality. In the other case it was placed in the living room and sounded hollow. The accompanying electronics I was told was matched to the Maggie's.

A friend today was stating the wireless KEF active speaker sounds brilliant. Was it the same one you auditioned.Some years back I heard Maggie's in two setups.
One was a proper room and positioned as recommended and sounded pretty good, though I could not get to liking their tonality. In the other case it was placed in the living room and sounded hollow. The accompanying electronics I was told was matched to the Maggie's.

No I heard the LS50 not the newer active LS50 Wireless. I've read that too, Maggies can be very picky about the electronics and that they are an acquired taste.

My parents are in Chennai (near Guindy) and I will see if we can meet up on a future visit. Thanks :)

ciao
gr

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back