Speakers , Which one, Yet Another

For a front ported speaker, distance from side walls matter, but rear wall am not too sure...

For a rear ported speaker, distance from side walls & rear wall also matter...

When there is no breathing required by a front ported speaker from the rear wall, how does it affect ?

I have used both front ported FS (Sonodyne Sonus 2605) & rear ported FS (Mission M35i) against the wall & a feet away from the rear wall... What i have observed is, rear ported benefit few feet away from the wall...Front ported FS remains unchanged (or) no noticeable difference....
I have a Plan to buy Yamaha 377. Need sugestion on Speakers.Rs.40k

How much impact is what will differ between a front and rear ported speaker. Front ported speaker will not boom when you put it next to the rear wall, but will have acoustic loading (bass will increase), whereas a rear ported speaker along with acoustic loading will boom as the compressed air exiting the bass ported will hit the wall with force causing it to boom at a specific frequency.

Placing your speakers need not be that much of a pain, but fine tuning them will be.

In my experience the best process I have found for this is,

Step1
Cardas Room Setup Guide
Use the cardas golden ration measurement and place your speaker.
This would invariably get you there 80%.
That being said, you might not have the luxury of having the speakers 5 - 6 ft away from the wall, in which case put them as close to the measured point as possible.

Step 2
Move your speakers a little back and a little forward, and to the sides make a note of which position sounds best. You will have to do this to both channels symmetric to your listening position.

Step 3
Turn the speakers, slightly inwards so that if you draw straight line from the tweeters, they should cross about a feet before your listening position.

This should get you about 90 - 95% there.

You will have to live with the rest, or acoustically treat your room.

Please remember this is just a rule of thumb/best practice/suggested process. There are a lot many more things which affect the sound and various other placement practices on the net.

Keep trying different placement till you find the sweet spot.

Will open a new thread to discuss this tomorrow as I have some practical difficulties in placing the speakers at my home.

Hi,

From chennai.

First stop was at Decibel. They are in green part of Chennai and their listening room is very nice.

Listened to the QA Concept 2020. They are from a different planet sonically from my previous set of floor standers. Mentioned that to Raghu and he thought that maybe the Rotel amp was also contributing to the difference and hooked up another (I have forgotten which). The 2020 continued to be from a different planet. If I had stopped there, paid for and left with those speakers I think I should have been reasonably happy. I should have too probably, in my notes i listed I did not like a bit of sibilance on Homeless, a slight hint of boom on Harry Manx's Mohana Veena ... nothing major.

The B&W 686 sounded better to me with anything I listened to, the tablas in Kandisa, the distant thunder clap in Brothers in Arms. And I swear I was seated front row, slightly to the side when I pressed the remote and selected "Turn me on". Did it ? The price (for me) was a bit of a downer because it was outside of the 50K I had set as a limit. Apart from that it sure was a bit of alright to elope with.

Raghu suggested that I listen to the Rotel / 686 combo but I had to pass, I had set up a 1100 session with Vipul Audio and had already overshot and I wanted to love my PM 6005 - if you know what i mean.

Reached Kilpauk a little late. Also a nice listening room. My 32 GB USB stick posed some strange issues but Praveen sorted it out with a laptop which did not sound right to me, so we used a Yamaha AVR with the equivalent of source direct (2 ch stereo).

The reason this thread is being updated so late is work, and the fact that the Zensor 3 were not in stock at Vipul Audio. That's what we started with. It just did not work for me. I had all but thanked him and left to go get the 686 when Pravin suggested listening to the z5. I was not interested in a floor stander from somewhere mid thread, but said WTH let's listen.

The first track on my audition list was Radha Kaise na jale. 21 seconds into the track, when that big drum sounded I was glad I did. Paradise city sounded good. And by when Amy Winehouse sang "You don't like players ..." I was completely hooked.

I have no idea if it is 2x better than the concept 2020. All I know is that I loved the sound of the z5 and had to have it. Should be delivered sometime next week. I love the speakers but sharing 3a berth no 62 would be pushing it :) I am only carrying 4m 14 gauge wire and 8 banana plugs with me. The wait is still going to kill me ;P

Will they sound good in my room ? No idea. Went off to the inventory on luz church road to see their room treatment panels. Had a nice chat with Tanseer. The material they use is non itchy. The covers are user configurable. I don't see the wife letting me have them in our living/ listening room. The far bigger problem is the shipping. the volume weight funda makes it horribly expensive. So no card flashing happened.

I am really glad I made the trip to Chennai on my speaker quest. Hyderabad positively sucks and is in some medieval dark past when it comes to options, attitudes and listening conditions in the audio stores. This was such a far cry from standing in the middle of a traffic island and listening to music bouncing off acres of glass, or the frosty we don't do auditions, order karo ya phoot le. The people I spoke to actually knew their stuff.

Now for some pongal vadai and authentic coconut chutney before I board the train back to base

ciao
gr

Last edited:
good thing to carry the amp.. and i suppose thats the way auditions are to be done.

good luck !

i see many folks here recommend the zensor and i suppose it should be good..

njoi !

mpw

good thing to carry the amp.. and i suppose thats the way auditions are to be done

You are very right.

I had read that and considered it briefly but the thought of lugging the amp on the train trip did not appeal. Also did not think that I will be be able to discern any differences. With the post audition wisdom gained through experience, yes that is what I should have done.

Congrats on a good purchase :) Hope you have years of fun on them

ciao
gr

Now for the short week or so for them to get to my living room. I am a very patient person :indifferent14:

Congrats on your purchase.
How much did Z5 cost you? Is it with B&W? Which color did you choose? Any idea about the cost of Z7?

Thanks. I understand only one color is available in India - Black. The damages including my Chennai trip, 14.5% VAT and GATI Chennai to Hyderabad was abt 50K. The Z7 should be significantly more, Vector told me 70K.

DeepestPurple: Will do :)

ciao
gr

Thanks. I understand only one color is available in India - Black. The damages including my Chennai trip, 14.5% VAT and GATI Chennai to Hyderabad was abt 50K. The Z7 should be significantly more, Vector told me 70K.

DeepestPurple: Will do :)

ciao
gr

Can you give me the just the price of the speakers including VAT so to compare the prices in hyd. Sorry to bother again about the same. Thank you.

Budget 30 - 50k. I think a bs would suit me better (room is a tube). Purely music only

Are there any other speakers I should consider ?

I posted on this thread the first time in 2014.

I must reopen the quest, as one of my Zensors was burned out by a new DAC (a Schiit Gungnir multibit) I added to my system. I had sold my DAC and spdif convertor to fund the new one, so now I have only SoundMagic E80 and phones for music :p. I do have a borrowed wyrd + fulla but no speakers … Life suqs.

The DAC is in India warranty and should get fixed someday. I am trying to get the speakers fixed (thanks to @drkrack for his help). I was looking at changing speakers but this has tipped my hand by a year or so and will burn my pocket.

From my previous experience I know I will need a bigger budget about 2 - 2.5x of the last time (which is not to say that I have the money in readies).

I know I will not get a tower set up.

I know I must audition.

I am intrigued by planars (Maggies) and single driver wide band (Bhaava), but I just do not have the space for them, or any FS really.

I like the ribbon tweeters (I should have got that Ikon Mk II in place of the Z5 really) but that's not gonna happen.

So I have shortlisted the KEF LS50. I know it is +/- 3db only till about 70 Hz and drops off after that, if I end up missing the bass that much I will try a sub. I had a brief listen with an McIntosh hybrid amp and I liked it. It was available for USD$900 and I weep silently that I could not pick it up then - there was no way I could carry them from Denver to San Jose and then onto Hyd :/*

Like the last time I must ask again "Are there any other speakers I should consider ?"

ciao
gr

Last edited:
If possible try to visit a few FM houses and identify the sound you like.

That will give you a direction

Else.. A Pandora's box will open :cool:

There are many contenders...

Else.. A Pandora's box will open :cool:

There are many contenders...

ab itni musibat mein Pandora bahut khoobsoorat and desirable to lagti hai :p

Yes I agree to what you say, I will be silly to acquire one without an audition.

ciao
gr

ab itni musibat mein Pandora bahut khoobsoorat and desirable to lagti hai:p

Yes I agree to what you say, I will be silly to acquire one without an audition.

ciao
gr

itni museebat mein Ho toh.. Apne haath se DiY karlo.... raahat milegi ;)

itni museebat mein Ho toh.. Apne haath se DiY karlo.... raahat milegi ;)

LOL self "help" is not a solution really. I cannot fix the speaker or the DAC.

As for the other interpretation way, way too old for that. Or to take offence for that matter.

ciao
gr

Thanks for being sporty.. :)

Good luck with your search

If in Mumbai.. Please PM.

If you like to listen to the Merlin's

Regards

soundcycle

the KEF LS50 or KEF R300 can be considered..

the R300 are smooth sounding and quite likeable too..

The Vidar should not have much trouble driving them

since you use DIRAC etc... it must be apparent to you that its no point looking at absolute bass extension in terms of 3 dB points at 50 Hz etc..

Your room will play a large role..

I see a Dali Mentor Menuet on sale and thats one hell of a pocket rocket.. dont be fooled by its diminutive looks.

The Quad S2 can be considered too..

so many options there..

Audition if possible..

regards

I posted on this thread the first time in 2014.

From my previous experience I know I will need a bigger budget about 2 - 2.5x of the last time (which is not to say that I have the money in readies).

I know I will not get a tower set up.

I know I must audition.

I am intrigued by planars (Maggies) and single driver wide band (Bhaava), but I just do not have the space for them, or any FS really.

I like the ribbon tweeters (I should have got that Ikon Mk II in place of the Z5 really) but that's not gonna happen.

So I have shortlisted the KEF LS50. I know it is +/- 3db only till about 70 Hz and drops off after that, if I end up missing the bass that much I will try a sub. I had a brief listen with an McIntosh hybrid amp and I liked it. It was available for USD$900 and I weep silently that I could not pick it up then - there was no way I could carry them from Denver to San Jose and then onto Hyd :/*

Like the last time I must ask again "Are there any other speakers I should consider ?"

ciao
gr
I would just like to comment that If you do go for the Kef's, They would have to be on some stands to really get them going. Sticking it in a corner might not be the best thing for them. So regardless of BS or FS, They will demand floor space else they might not give you optimum performance.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back